Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,903 members, 7,810,468 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:37 AM

Akwa Ibom Become The First State To Go Tough On Rapists - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Akwa Ibom Become The First State To Go Tough On Rapists (1521 Views)

Akwa Ibom Become The First State To Get Approval To Distribute Electricity.. Pho / Lere Olayinka Flexes With Fayose, Says 'Na Their Next Level Go Tough' / Akpabio Reveals First State Buhari Will Win (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Akwa Ibom Become The First State To Go Tough On Rapists by Ilaumoh(m): 7:56pm On Jun 21, 2020
Rapists face life imprisonment in Akwa Ibom
Rapists face life imprisonment in Akwa Ibom
ON JUNE 21, 20204:49 PMIN NEWS
…as Govt begins implementing ‘Power for All’ electrification projects

Rape suspects in Akwa Ibom State may face up to life imprisonment following the signing of the Violence Against Persons Prohibition Law, VAPPL, 2020 by Governor Udom Emmanuel.

This law will enable judges to hand down life imprisonment to anyone convicted of rape henceforth in the state.

Speaking after the bill was assented to by the Governor, the Dean of Commissioners and Commissioner for Agriculture and Women Affairs, Dr. Glory Edet, describes VAPPL as a sledgehammer for rapists and perpetrators of gender-based violence, maintaining that the Law has clearly spelled out punishment for such offenses.

“I think this is one of the best things that has happened to protect the female gender and as the Commissioner overseeing women matters, I believe the women of Akwa Ibom, the children, and even our men are happy because this law will really teach defaulters a lesson.

“This law allows for the implementation of a lot of things we were praying for and prescribes stiffer punishment for violators of the Child’s Right Act, perpetrators of violence against citizens of both genders. Before now violators of the female gender had some years to spend in prison but VAPPL recommends life imprisonment to really deal with the offenders and discourage the spate of violence in our society”, she stated.

Dr. Edet noted that sensitization and awareness campaigns on the new law will soon kick start.

Also speaking, the state Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice, Barr. Uwemedimo Nwoko said the Violence Against Persons (Prohibition) Law (VAPPL) 2020, provides a penalty of a life sentence for rapists.

He revealed the law also provides 14 years imprisonment for perpetrators of gender-based violence and any kind of sexual offense other than rape.

Meanwhile, the state government is commencing electrification of 265 communities yet to be linked to the national grid.

The Commissioner for Information Mr. Charles Udoh disclosed the government’s intention to link all communities in the state to the national grid.

According to him, to achieve this, the state Executive Council has mandated the Bureau of Rural Development and Cooperative to commence electrification of 265 villages that are without electricity to facilitate the actualization of Power For-All Initiative by the state government at the end of 2021.

“You are aware that there are 2274 gazetted villages in Akwa Ibom State, from that number it was reported that 265 villages spread across 27 Local Government Areas in the State are without electricity, so in pursuance of the dream to achieve power for all initiative by 2021, Exco has approved the commencement of the electrification projects in those villages.

“However, the electrification of the 265 villages will be done in phases base on budgetary provisions and through direct labour,” he said.

Akwa Ibom a safe haven to all Nigerian women.

Akwa Ibom ayaya

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vanguardngr.com/2020/06/rapists-face-life-imprisonment-in-akwa-ibom/amp/
Re: Akwa Ibom Become The First State To Go Tough On Rapists by Endlesspeace(f): 8:10pm On Jun 21, 2020
Good one

1 Like

Re: Akwa Ibom Become The First State To Go Tough On Rapists by Ilaumoh(m): 8:14pm On Jun 21, 2020
Endlesspeace:
Good one
Yes sir
Lalalaclata wey dey wait for you oo
Re: Akwa Ibom Become The First State To Go Tough On Rapists by Elelenwo: 8:42pm On Jun 21, 2020
Don't be silly. If Akwa Ibom should truly go tough on rapists more than half of her menfolk will end up in prison for life.

2 Likes

Re: Akwa Ibom Become The First State To Go Tough On Rapists by Ilaumoh(m): 9:03pm On Jun 21, 2020
Elelenwo:
Don't be silly. If Akwa Ibom should truly go tough on rapists more than half of her menfolk will end up in prison for life.
Ok sir. But go through the post again sir. And I also believe your not saying the shouldn't?

1 Like

Re: Akwa Ibom Become The First State To Go Tough On Rapists by Elelenwo: 9:35pm On Jun 21, 2020
Ilaumoh:

Ok sir. But go through the post again sir. And I also believe your not saying the shouldn't?

Oh by all means. We welcome their effort but it's a ruse.
Re: Akwa Ibom Become The First State To Go Tough On Rapists by BeLookingIDIOT(m): 9:40pm On Jun 21, 2020
Igbos are about to go extinct then
Re: Akwa Ibom Become The First State To Go Tough On Rapists by Susu888(m): 9:58pm On Jun 21, 2020
ANAMBRA PEOPLE COME CHI CHOMTIN.

1 Like

Re: Akwa Ibom Become The First State To Go Tough On Rapists by Ilaumoh(m): 10:02pm On Jun 21, 2020
Elelenwo:

Oh by all means. We welcome their effort but it's a ruse.
Is ok sir
Re: Akwa Ibom Become The First State To Go Tough On Rapists by Ilaumoh(m): 10:02pm On Jun 21, 2020
BeLookingIDIOT:
Igbos are about to go extinct then
Ipob in Akwa Ibom hmmmm
Susu888:
ANAMBRA PEOPLE COME CHI CHOMTIN.
Small small others will follow sort
Re: Akwa Ibom Become The First State To Go Tough On Rapists by ifiokjohn(m): 10:47pm On Jun 21, 2020
hey, I want to ask how about the Ibaka Super highway that was flagoff two years ago
Re: Akwa Ibom Become The First State To Go Tough On Rapists by Ilaumoh(m): 10:53pm On Jun 21, 2020
ifiokjohn:
hey, I want to ask how about the Ibaka Super highway that was flagoff two years ago
Those guys equipment are on site but udom is awaiting federal government approval and the seaport since it was successfully presented to Amechi...so we are praying that he won't delay it.

Meanwhile he is currently building 8lane super highway from nwaeba to new international stadium cutting across Oron road by shelter afriq .
Meanwhile is now called Ibom Seaport not Ibaka and is now located in Ibeno

Re: Akwa Ibom Become The First State To Go Tough On Rapists by stormborn28(m): 1:50am On Jun 22, 2020
Kai.. I would have preferred firing squad or bursting of the testicles before imprisonment

1 Like

Re: Akwa Ibom Become The First State To Go Tough On Rapists by Ilaumoh(m): 6:22am On Jun 22, 2020
stormborn28:
Kai.. I would have preferred firing squad or bursting of the testicles before imprisonment
Lol, still better joor
Re: Akwa Ibom Become The First State To Go Tough On Rapists by ifiokjohn(m): 12:52pm On Jun 22, 2020
Ilaumoh:

Those guys equipment are on site but udom is awaiting federal government approval and the seaport since it was successfully presented to Amechi...so we are praying that he won't delay it.

Meanwhile he is currently building 8lane super highway from nwaeba to new international stadium cutting across Oron road by shelter afriq .
Meanwhile is now called Ibom Seaport not Ibaka and is now located in Ibeno
Must we wait for the Fg before doing the super highway?
why can't we start now since the Fg is saying it will be finish by 2021.
meanwhile can I see pictures of the 8lane super highway from Nwaeba ?

have they started it? how far are they gone?
Re: Akwa Ibom Become The First State To Go Tough On Rapists by Ilaumoh(m): 2:36pm On Jun 22, 2020
ifiokjohn:
Must we wait for the Fg before doing the super highway?
why can't we start now since the Fg is saying it will be finish by 2021.
meanwhile can I see pictures of the 8lane super highway from Nwaeba ?

have they started it? how far are they gone?
I will love to show you, let me search if I will see it oooh.
Another one is the day and night construction of the Ibom worship centre by julius berger
Re: Akwa Ibom Become The First State To Go Tough On Rapists by Charmingrascal(m): 2:37pm On Jun 22, 2020
Death penalty would have been better

Some of them will get pardoned while serving their sentence

Kill them by hanging

1 Like

Re: Akwa Ibom Become The First State To Go Tough On Rapists by Ilaumoh(m): 3:52pm On Jun 22, 2020
Charmingrascal:
Death penalty would have been better

Some of them will get pardoned while serving their sentence

Kill them by hanging
May be the see it as a mental illness that's why is life imprisonment
Re: Akwa Ibom Become The First State To Go Tough On Rapists by ifiokjohn(m): 9:00pm On Jun 22, 2020
Ilaumoh:

Another one is the day and night construction of the Ibom worship centre by julius berger
Please do search and show me.
if you have the pic of ibom worship centre, you can also send it too
Re: Akwa Ibom Become The First State To Go Tough On Rapists by ifiokjohn(m): 9:00pm On Jun 22, 2020
Ilaumoh:

if you have the pic of ibom worship centre, you can also show it too
Re: Akwa Ibom Become The First State To Go Tough On Rapists by ifiokjohn(m): 9:01pm On Jun 22, 2020
Ilaumoh:

if you have the pic of ibom worship centre, you can also show it too.
Re: Akwa Ibom Become The First State To Go Tough On Rapists by LivingSage: 9:02pm On Jun 22, 2020
Beautiful
Re: Akwa Ibom Become The First State To Go Tough On Rapists by Ilaumoh(m): 11:29pm On Jun 22, 2020
ifiokjohn:
if you have the pic of ibom worship centre, you can also show it too.
Is annoying why this guys don't put their pix on their website...the church is built by julius berger.
But find the blue print of the project below

1 Like

Re: Akwa Ibom Become The First State To Go Tough On Rapists by ifiokjohn(m): 2:13pm On Jun 23, 2020
Ilaumoh:

Is annoying why this guys don't put their pix on their website...the church is built by julius berger.
Is this what is on ground?

1 Like

Re: Akwa Ibom Become The First State To Go Tough On Rapists by ifiokjohn(m): 2:14pm On Jun 23, 2020
Ilaumoh:

Is this what is on ground? have they even started work on it?

1 Like

Re: Akwa Ibom Become The First State To Go Tough On Rapists by EmekaA125(m): 2:18pm On Jun 23, 2020
Hope the law won't be for the poor alone while exonerating the rich because they've the money to sort themselves out.

1 Like

Re: Akwa Ibom Become The First State To Go Tough On Rapists by powerhouse3(m): 2:57pm On Jun 23, 2020
Ilaumoh:

Misplace priorities ,what can we now classified church building as,?....will it generate income for Akwa ibom?......

]Don't be silly. If Akwa Ibom should truly go tough on rapists more than half of her menfolk will end up in prison for life. [/quote]

Label like these really baffle me,....how do you come about with that conclusion

which data and statistics do you got your info on,that halve of my state men are RAPIST...

post the data here to clear my ignorance

1 Like

Re: Akwa Ibom Become The First State To Go Tough On Rapists by Ilaumoh(m): 3:03pm On Jun 23, 2020
ifiokjohn:
Is this what is on ground?
Julius berger don't like uploading pix of ongoing project like VSK do
Re: Akwa Ibom Become The First State To Go Tough On Rapists by Ilaumoh(m): 3:04pm On Jun 23, 2020
ifiokjohn:
Is this what is on ground? have they even started work on it?
The started building, the pix above is the blue print...if you have any body in Uyo you can tell the person to go to where the have the 21storet building that's is where the are building the church
Re: Akwa Ibom Become The First State To Go Tough On Rapists by Ilaumoh(m): 3:05pm On Jun 23, 2020
EmekaA125:
Hope the law won't be for the poor alone while exonerating the rich because they've the money to sort themselves out.

We hope so too sir

(1) (2) (Reply)

BREAKING: President And Prime Minister Of Mali Arrested / APC chieftain threatens Twitter CEO for supporting #EndSARS protests / Why Everyone Is So Proud Of Yoruba Leaders By Elliot Ugochukwu-uko

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.