Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,613 members, 7,809,245 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:36 AM

Radiator Fan - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Radiator Fan (1176 Views)

Implications Of Connecting Radiator Fan From Ignition / Today, I Found Out For Sure That, Connecting Radiator Fan Directly Is Not Good ! / Don't Top-up Your Radiator With Water. Use Engine Coolant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Radiator Fan by Babaigwebishop(m): 8:54pm On Jun 21, 2020
Hi Nairalanders,
I need your guidance on my sienna 2000 CE. The radiator fan starts and remains on from the time I start the engine until I put it off (that was how I bought the car ). Is this ok given that I use it to travel without any issues (not commercial) and if I need to correct it, i.e the fan, should the thermostat be replaced (if it is still there. don't know if that is possible ).
And my coolant keep going down with refills every other day and no visible sign of leaks anywhere.
Please guru's in the house, your input will be highly appreciated.
Re: Radiator Fan by double3(m): 12:50am On Jun 22, 2020
There's every probability ur fan control module must have been bypassed and motor connected directly to ur battery. If it's OK well, the answer is no, if it can cause harm, answer too is a no but ur engine might take a longer time to reach optimal operating temperature(ie running at the lower temperature for longer than necessary).
Revert to manufacturers design if you can for better performance.
As for ur coolant, there's definitely a leak sumwhere hence the need for frequent top up.
Just keep refilling till ur ready to have it examined.

1 Like

Re: Radiator Fan by Babaigwebishop(m): 9:37am On Jun 22, 2020
Thanks, boss for your enlightenment. it was quite helpful.
Re: Radiator Fan by autologic: 10:18am On Jun 22, 2020
Babaigwebishop:
Hi Nairalanders,
I need your guidance on my sienna 2000 CE. The radiator fan starts and remains on from the time I start the engine until I put it off (that was how I bought the car ). Is this ok given that I use it to travel without any issues (not commercial) and if I need to correct it, i.e the fan, should the thermostat be replaced (if it is still there. don't know if that is possible ).
And my coolant keep going down with refills every other day and no visible sign of leaks anywhere.
Please guru's in the house, your input will be highly appreciated.
Don't use your car in this condition if you don't want to add more to the issue it already has o cos a fan that is ran direct has more risk of failure anytime cos constantly running will reduce it life span,cause engine bore wash and also cause issue for the alternator as well .
Coolant going down if neglected too can cause headgasket leak later on .

1 Like

Re: Radiator Fan by double3(m): 11:02pm On Jun 23, 2020
autologic:

Don't use your car in this condition if you don't want to add more to the issue it already has o cos a fan that is ran direct has more risk of failure anytime cos constantly running will reduce it life span,cause engine bore wash and also cause issue for the alternator as well .
Coolant going down if neglected too can cause headgasket leak later on .
We shouldn't always blow things out of proportions. If ur theory of running fan directly affects the life span of the radiator fan motor,then one can also say using AC would affect the lifespan of the fan motor as well cos the fan kicks on whenever AC is in use....what do u think

3 Likes

Re: Radiator Fan by autologic: 11:25pm On Jun 23, 2020
double3:

We shouldn't always blow things out of proportions. If ur theory of running fan directly affects the life span of the radiator fan motor,then one can also say using AC would affect the lifespan of the fan motor as well cos the fan kicks on whenever AC is in use....what do u think
Nice observation ,however what makes the big difference btw the two different circumstances Is the word control
With ac on ,Fan Is still under controlled either from a one computer somewhere or a thermoswitch and is running with controlled speed from zero to 100 and even trigger off completely as dictated by it controlling master inlike when same fan is ran direct when ran direct with no control and running perpetually at 100% capacity till it work itself to death .
Re: Radiator Fan by Nobody: 7:05am On Jun 24, 2020
autologic:

Nice observation ,however what makes the big difference btw the two different circumstances Is the word control
With ac on ,Fan Is still under controlled either from a one computer somewhere or a thermoswitch and is running with controlled speed from zero to 100 and even trigger off completely as dictated by it controlling master inlike when same fan is ran direct when ran direct with no control and running perpetually at 100% capacity till it work itself to death .
I know someone who has been running fan direct on his Corolla for over 6 years and fan is still working. He said the AC is also much colder than when it was on thermostat.
I'm not saying removing the thermostat is good, but under Nigerian circumstances, and the likelihood of overheating, then in the long run it is the more affordable option.

2 Likes

Re: Radiator Fan by autologic: 8:01am On Jun 24, 2020
ModelX:
I know someone who has been running fan direct on his Corolla for over 6 years and fan is still working. He said the AC is also much colder than when it was on thermostat.
I'm not saying removing the thermostat is good, but under Nigerian circumstances, and the likelihood of overheating, then in the long run it is the more affordable option.
Point of correction ,no relationship btw Fan control and Thermostat ,there are different entity entirely ,what turn on fans are electrical actuators and modules .
Working as automotive servicing sector for over a decade , I have learnt that u can be easily led astray make vital analysis and decision based solely on the customer "stories" as vehicle repair history ,cos u will discover holes in the stories later on ,even on this forum we have seen people crying wolves when there is non and even vice versa after the issue has been seen physically.
I try as mush as possible to align my analysis & thought process based on scientific fact and figure and not sentimental stories, however everyone is free to believe in what he "believes" work for him but not to be spreading old wives tales .
Thanks

1 Like

Re: Radiator Fan by Nobody: 8:03am On Jun 24, 2020
autologic:

Point of correction ,no relationship btw Fan control and Thermostat ,there are different entity entity entirely .
Working as automotive servicing sector for over a decade ,along the line I have learnt that u can be easily led astray make vital decision based solely on customer vehicle history ,cos u will discover holes in the stories later on .
I try as mush as possible to align my analysis based on scientific fact and figure and not sentimental stories however everyone is free to believe in what works for him .
Thanks
Okay. Set awon Google mechanic.
Re: Radiator Fan by Billiebaba(m): 10:35pm On Jun 24, 2020
ModelX:
Okay. Set awon Google mechanic.
You seem to have comprehension issues, he said he's been working for over a decade, it's only Google mechanic you can make of his explanation.
Re: Radiator Fan by Babaigwebishop(m): 12:11am On Jun 26, 2020
I appreciate all your genuine contributions, Thanks. Though I later realised that the coolant issue I was having was as a result of a faulty radiator cover, it looks physically ok to me though but happened to be the cause of my worries all these while. I have not topped coolant ever since I replaced the cover.

(1) (Reply)

Power Steering Pump Issues / Toyota Sienna 2003 Xle / I Lost My Valid Driver's License, Please Advice Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.