Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,741 members, 7,817,049 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:59 AM

Fashola Approves Construction Of N2.8bn Ejigbo-ajao Bridge. Eko O Ni Baje O. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola Approves Construction Of N2.8bn Ejigbo-ajao Bridge. Eko O Ni Baje O. (2352 Views)

Fashola Switches On The Lagos Festival Of Lights. PICS. Eko O Ni Baje O.... / The New Ikeja Mall. Pics. Another Eko O Ni Baje Moment. / Fashola (eko O Ni Baje ) Updates (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fashola Approves Construction Of N2.8bn Ejigbo-ajao Bridge. Eko O Ni Baje O. by EkoIle1: 3:18am On Jan 28, 2011

By olasunkomi akoni & monsur olowwopejo
Governor Babatunde Fashola of Lagos state has approved about N 2.8 billion for the construction of the Ejigbo- Ajao Estate Link Bridge in remembrance of the over one thousand victims who lost their lives during the January 27, 2002 bomb blast.

This was disclosed on Thursday at a briefing to commemorate the ninth remembrance anniversary of the bomb blast. Chairman of Ejigbo Local Council Development Area, Mr. Kehinde Bamigbetan, who announced this, said “The Lagos state ministry of Works would spearhead the construction of the bridge and has also approved the review of the final design of the bridge.”

According to Bamigbetan, “the bridge would run from the canal where the victims lost their lives over to Ajao Esttae that is the concept of the bridge. When completed, you would be able to move from Ejigbo through Ajao to link the airport road to Oshodi.

“The idea is that if there had been a bridge those who died would not have gone into the water. They would have taken the bridge. So it is like a realisation of a dream of over nine years.”

The council chairman stressed that the council had pursued the project since 2010, stressing that the Ministry of Works expanded the concept of the bridge to include median, walk ways and more street lights and added that the contract would be awarded soon to enable work commence on the bridge.

“Once we get the funds, and the board of the Public Private Partnership, PPP, give us the go ahead, in the next two months the construction of the bridge would take off,” he said.

On the welfare of the families of the victims, Bamigbetan said the council’s intention to turn the graveyard to a tourist centre met stiff opposition by relatives of the victims even after series of meetings held with them.
to see reasons.

The council chairman said “Their opposition to the idea has really slowed us down and this even informed the reason for not making an elaborate ceremony out of it today, being the ninth remembrance anniversary of the incident”.

Bamigbetan added that the council would forward to the state government, the names of twelve divers who rescued some persons alive and recovered the corpses, saying they would undergo training as divers’ instructors which according to him could be vital for future occurrences.

Speaking to Vanguard, one of the representatives of the families, Mr. Ola Majekodunmi lamented that nine years after the incident, the Lagos State government was yet to fulfil the promise it made to the families to ensure that they are not neglected or left to suffer the painful memories of the incident.

Majekodunmi said the financial package contributed by non_governmental organisations after the blast was not used for the purpose to which they were donated.

His words “ I have the pictures during the presentation of the aids by NGOs, I still have them, so where is the money and then they say they spent billion here, are they not using our families to trade, that was why we also stopped the tourism plan because it’s a ploy to make money out of us”.

He lashed out at the excuse given by the General Manager of Lagos State Emergency Management Authority(LASEMA), Oke Osanyintolu that the monies donated were used to embalm and beautify the grave side as well as purchase coffins.

Majekodunmi however commended the state government for succumbing to the request of the victims’ families to stop the yearly wreath laying ceremony at the canal site, saying that it brings back painful memories to the people bereaved by the incident.
Re: Fashola Approves Construction Of N2.8bn Ejigbo-ajao Bridge. Eko O Ni Baje O. by jason123: 3:27am On Jan 28, 2011
Good one fashola. What about the railway project?
Re: Fashola Approves Construction Of N2.8bn Ejigbo-ajao Bridge. Eko O Ni Baje O. by PhysicsMHD(m): 3:37am On Jan 28, 2011
Re: Fashola Approves Construction Of N2.8bn Ejigbo-ajao Bridge. Eko O Ni Baje O. by EkoIle1: 4:19am On Jan 28, 2011
jason123:

Good one fashola. What about the railway project?

Is it the one under construction or the one you know nothing about?
Re: Fashola Approves Construction Of N2.8bn Ejigbo-ajao Bridge. Eko O Ni Baje O. by jason123: 5:15am On Jan 28, 2011
Eko Ile:

Is it the one under construction or the one you know nothing about?
The one under construction.Btw, how is the eko atlantic project coming along?
Re: Fashola Approves Construction Of N2.8bn Ejigbo-ajao Bridge. Eko O Ni Baje O. by EkoIle1: 5:46am On Jan 28, 2011
jason123:

The one under construction.Btw, how is the eko atlantic project coming along?

The railway project is of course under construction and dredging is still going with Eko Atlantic. Go to SkyscraperCity for updates,
Re: Fashola Approves Construction Of N2.8bn Ejigbo-ajao Bridge. Eko O Ni Baje O. by EkoIle1: 7:53pm On Jan 31, 2011
Eko o ni baje lai lai
Re: Fashola Approves Construction Of N2.8bn Ejigbo-ajao Bridge. Eko O Ni Baje O. by jacobs123(m): 8:44pm On Jan 31, 2011
I don't believe this news,. Lagos state does not reveal the amount it spends on road construction. They only tell us the length of the road which is missing. I hope the road construction goes ahead but I seriously doubt this news especially coming from a do-nothing Chairman called kehinde Bamigbetan.
Re: Fashola Approves Construction Of N2.8bn Ejigbo-ajao Bridge. Eko O Ni Baje O. by Elgeeone: 10:51am On Aug 03, 2011
Seven months after, we are still awaiting the smallest sign that any such construction was ever approved by Government! In the interim, rapacious landlords on both sides of the divide have since constrcuted a wooden bridge accross the canal with pedestrians made to pay to cross! I bet the nexttime you hear of this "bridge" will be during the run-up to the 2015 elections!
Re: Fashola Approves Construction Of N2.8bn Ejigbo-ajao Bridge. Eko O Ni Baje O. by feelamong(m): 12:05pm On Aug 03, 2011
My problem with Fashola and Lagos state is that……

They would make One Million Naira NOISE but only do One Naira WORK!!! Mshwweeee!

EKO ONI BAJE MY AR**S***
Re: Fashola Approves Construction Of N2.8bn Ejigbo-ajao Bridge. Eko O Ni Baje O. by keeptrying: 12:24am On Aug 04, 2011
Eko-ile or whatever, tell yor boss Fashola to stop all this publicity and do something about lagos roads i spent 3 weeks in lagos last month and it was hell.From ago to ikeja takes about 7 hours. Traffic in Ago(Okota) is very terrible. I cannot imagin why lagosian like you still cherish fashion.Have you ever travel abroad?Eko has Baje terribly compare to a decade ago.
Re: Fashola Approves Construction Of N2.8bn Ejigbo-ajao Bridge. Eko O Ni Baje O. by OmoLisabi(m): 2:15am On Aug 04, 2011
keeptrying:

Eko-ile or whatever, tell yor boss Fashola to stop all this publicity and do something about lagos roads i spent 3 weeks in lagos last month and it was hell.From ago to ikeja takes about 7 hours. Traffic in Ago(Okota) is very terrible. I cannot imagin why lagosian like you still cherish fashion.Have you ever travel abroad?Eko has Baje terribly compare to a decade ago.
it seems you are demented.
Lagos people have taken a stance in the last two month and here you are spewing gibberish after this people have endorsed Fashola.
Re: Fashola Approves Construction Of N2.8bn Ejigbo-ajao Bridge. Eko O Ni Baje O. by Nobody: 2:33am On Aug 04, 2011
Eko oni baje!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May Lagos never be perfect because no matter how good, it will keep getting better! Ashe!!!
Re: Fashola Approves Construction Of N2.8bn Ejigbo-ajao Bridge. Eko O Ni Baje O. by Pifa: 4:52am On Aug 04, 2011
Eko Ile:

What does the caption above “Not under my watch. . .” mean in English?  I read the English translation of “Eko oni baje” in a publication a while ago, but I don’t know the meaning of “lai lai”.
Re: Fashola Approves Construction Of N2.8bn Ejigbo-ajao Bridge. Eko O Ni Baje O. by OmoLisabi(m): 5:14am On Aug 04, 2011
Pifa:

What does the caption above “Not under my watch. . .” mean in English?  I read the English translation of “Eko oni baje” in a publication a while ago, but I don’t know the meaning of “lai lai”.

Lai Lai means "never never"
Re: Fashola Approves Construction Of N2.8bn Ejigbo-ajao Bridge. Eko O Ni Baje O. by Pifa: 4:16pm On Aug 04, 2011
OmoLisabi:

Lai Lai means "never never"

Thanks.

(1) (Reply)

Hon. Patrick Obahiagbon Tributes To Ojukwu And Other Striking Tributes. / Wikileaks: How Obasanjo Robbed Nigeria Dry / Electronic Voting Likely In 2015 - Jega

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.