Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,676 members, 7,809,570 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:20 AM

Are Nvidia RTX Cards A Next Gen Alternative? - Gaming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Gaming / Are Nvidia RTX Cards A Next Gen Alternative? (535 Views)

Microsoft's Next-gen Console Would Be More Powerful Than Playstation 5 / Amd’s Next-gen Playstation/xbox Chip Moves Closer To Final Version / Amd Radeon Vii Reportedly Beats Nvidia Rtx 2080 In 3d Benchmark Test (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Are Nvidia RTX Cards A Next Gen Alternative? by meobizy(f): 4:27am On Jun 22, 2020
This is a topic better suited for Reddit and Quora. I don’t use any of those so here goes:

Are Nvidia RTX cards a PS4 Pro and Xbox one X counterpart or are they more a PS5 and XBSX alternative? With the planned release of newer cards in the near future, I’m guessing it’s a case of the aforementioned. Should I buy a gaming PC now with a top-tier RTX, hoping it will play PS5-type games or wait till a few months into the future?
Re: Are Nvidia RTX Cards A Next Gen Alternative? by lordwilliams21(m): 12:34pm On Jun 22, 2020
meobizy:
This is a topic better suited for Reddit and Quora. I don’t use any of those so here goes:

Are Nvidia RTX cards a PS4 Pro and Xbox one X counterpart or are they more a PS5 and XBSX alternative? With the planned release of newer cards in the near future, I’m guessing it’s a case of the aforementioned. Should I buy a gaming PC now with a top-tier RTX, hoping it will play PS5-type games or wait till a few months into the future?
to answer your first question, nope, nvidia was the trend setter of raytracing and next generation of gaming consoles followed suit,not all rtx cards are as powerful as xsx and ps5 but all are more powerfull than current generation of gaming consoles, a rtx 2060 for intance won't be as powerfull as ps5 or xsx but it is more powerfull than ps4 pro.
Theoritically, Nvidia geforce rtx 2080 ti and above should be more powerfull than next gen consoles, but gaming consoles are putatively known to be more optimised than pc because it is solely meant for gaming and due to their API being different from pc. So in practice a ps5 or xsx might outperform an rtx 2080ti but maybe by a small margin. for the second question, i think its subjective as you are going to miss out if you choose either, consoles have a lot of propreitary games (especially ps5)which are not available for pc and on the other hand you can use a pc for many things apart from gaming.secondly, if you are going to get a pc that will rival a console you are going to spend about 2 to 3 times the price of a console.nvidia and amd are set to release their next generation of graphics cards later this year and i'm sure their top teir models are going to outclass next gen consoles but they would come at a cost which is their prices.so if you can wait till when next gen consoles will be released to decide which to go for it will be better. but if i where in your shoes(thats if you are well to do) i would go for a gaming pc and a ps5, because most xbox propreitary games are released on pc too.

3 Likes

Re: Are Nvidia RTX Cards A Next Gen Alternative? by meobizy(f): 3:01pm On Sep 22, 2020
lordwilliams21:
to answer your first question, nope, nvidia was the trend setter of raytracing and next generation of gaming consoles followed suit,not all rtx cards are as powerful as xsx and ps5 but all are more powerfull than current generation of gaming consoles, a rtx 2060 for intance won't be as powerfull as ps5 or xsx but it is more powerfull than ps4 pro.
Theoritically, Nvidia geforce rtx 2080 ti and above should be more powerfull than next gen consoles, but gaming consoles are putatively known to be more optimised than pc because it is solely meant for gaming and due to their API being different from pc. So in practice a ps5 or xsx might outperform an rtx 2080ti but maybe by a small margin. for the second question, i think its subjective as you are going to miss out if you choose either, consoles have a lot of propreitary games (especially ps5)which are not available for pc and on the other hand you can use a pc for many things apart from gaming.secondly, if you are going to get a pc that will rival a console you are going to spend about 2 to 3 times the price of a console.nvidia and amd are set to release their next generation of graphics cards later this year and i'm sure their top teir models are going to outclass next gen consoles but they would come at a cost which is their prices.so if you can wait till when next gen consoles will be released to decide which to go for it will be better. but if i where in your shoes(thats if you are well to do) i would go for a gaming pc and a ps5, because most xbox propreitary games are released on pc too.
I found this post very helpful. DLSS put the earlier RTX cards on the same par (I’m guessing higher now) as the next gen consoles. Nvidia’s BFGPU (the RTX 3080) is the big daddy for anything beyond console gaming specifications. It’s funny to see the consoles become obsolete before their official release. I think this is first time it has ever occurred. Tech pundits have examined the PS 5 and XBSX’s raytracing capabilities. Their conclusion is the low tier RTX cards blow their effects out of the water regardless of DLSS.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Over 200 LATEST PS4 Games(.pkg)and Hacking Of Consoles (lagos, Abuja,ph) / PS4 + Gadget Deals Available 08060985916 / Where Can I Buy PC Games In Delta State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.