Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,749 members, 7,824,156 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:01 AM

BLACK LIVES MATTER: Five Police Brutality Movements Worse Than George Floyd's - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / BLACK LIVES MATTER: Five Police Brutality Movements Worse Than George Floyd's (438 Views)

Black Lives Matter Protest Holds In Victoria Island, Lagos / George Floyd: Minnesota Police Officers Fired After Death Of Unarmed Black Man / Five Police Interrogation Tactics That Can Lead To False Confession (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

BLACK LIVES MATTER: Five Police Brutality Movements Worse Than George Floyd's by fabulous05(m): 2:41pm On Jun 22, 2020
On May 25, this year, George Floyd, a 46-year-old black man, was killed in Minneapolis, Minnesota, during an arrest for allegedly using a counterfeit bill. Derek Chauvin, a white police officer, knelt on Floyd's neck for almost nine minutes while Floyd was handcuffed and lying face down in the street, begging for his life and repeatedly saying "I can't breathe". A second and third officer further restrained Floyd while a fourth prevented bystanders from intervening. During the final three minutes, Floyd was motionless and had no pulse while Chauvin ignored onlookers' pleas to remove his knee, which he did not do until medics told him to.

Floyd's death triggered demonstrations and protests in more than 75 U.S. cities and around the world against police brutality, police racism, and lack of police accountability. The protests most importantly brought back the “black lives matters” movement.

The black lives movement originated from within the African-American community, which campaigns against violence and systemic racism towards black people. BLM regularly holds protests speaking out against police brutality, police killings of black people, and broader issues such as racial profiling, and racial inequality in the United States criminal justice system.

In 2013, the movement began with the use of the hashtag #BlackLivesMatter on social media after the acquittal of George Zimmerman in the shooting to death of African-American teen Trayvon Martin in February 2012. The movement became nationally recognized for street demonstrations following the 2014 deaths of Michael Brown, resulting in protests and unrest in Ferguson, a city near St. Louis and Eric Garner in New York City. Since the Ferguson protests, participants in the movement have demonstrated against the deaths of numerous other African Americans by police actions and/or while in police custody. They include:

5. SAM DUBOSE

On July 19, 2015, in Cincinnati, Ohio, Samuel DuBose, an unarmed man, was fatally shot by Ray Tensing, a University of Cincinnati police officer, during a traffic stop for a missing front license plate and a suspended driver's license. Tensing fired after DuBose started his car. Tensing stated that DuBose had begun to drive off and that he was being dragged because his arm was caught in the car. Prosecutors alleged that footage from Tensing's bodycam showed that he was not dragged.

As of July 30, at least four demonstrations have been held around the country in response to DuBose's death. A Black Lives Matter vigil and rally in support of DuBose was held in Cincinnati on July 31, the third such event since the shooting. The victim's mother said, "As long as we stand up for the righteous, we going to be OK. I would come out here every night, I will go city to city because now I'm involved, my child was involved." Participants chanted "I am Sam DuBose." Around 300 participants subsequently walked through Over-the-Rhine to Fountain Square. Six people were arrested on charges of disorderly conduct and resisting arrest during the march. a grand jury indicted him on charges of murder and voluntary manslaughter. He was then fired from the police department. A November 2016 trial ended in mistrial after the jury became deadlocked. A retrial began in May 2017 also ended in a hung jury. The charges against Tensing were later dismissed with prejudice.

In January 2016, following two days of mediation with civil rights attorney Al Gerhardstein, the University of Cincinnati agreed to pay $4.85 million to the DuBose family.

4. TAMI RICE

On November 22, 2014, Tamir Rice, a 12-year old African-American boy, was killed in Cleveland, Ohio by Timothy Loehmann, a 26-year-old police officer. Rice was carrying a replica toy Airsoft gun; Loehmann shot him almost immediately after arriving on the scene.

Two officers, Loehmann and 46-year-old Frank Garmback were responding to a police dispatch call regarding a male who "keeps pulling a gun out of his pants and pointing it at people". A caller reported that a male was pointing "a pistol" at random people at the Cudell Recreation Center, a park in the City of Cleveland's Public Works Department. At the beginning of the call and again in the middle, he says of the pistol "it's probably fake". Toward the end of the two-minute call, the caller states that "he is probably a juvenile"; however, this information was not relayed to officers Loehmann or Garmback on the initial dispatch. The officers reported that upon their arrival, they both continuously yelled "show me your hands" through the open patrol car window. Loehmann further stated that instead of showing his hands, it appeared as if Rice was trying to draw: "I knew it was a gun and I knew it was coming out". In response, the officer shot twice, hitting Rice once in the torso. He died the following day.

A surveillance video of the incident was released by the police four days after the shooting, on 26 November. On 3 June 2015, the Cuyahoga County Sheriff's Office declared that their investigation had been completed and that they had turned their findings over to the county prosecutor. Several months later the prosecution presented evidence to a grand jury, which declined to indict, primarily on the basis that Rice was drawing what appears to be an actual firearm from his waist as the police arrived. A lawsuit brought against the city of Cleveland by Rice's family was subsequently settled for $6 million.

3. MICHEAL BROWN

On August 9, 2014, Michael Brown Jr., an 18-year-old black man, was fatally shot by 28-year-old white Ferguson police officer Darren Wilson in the city of Ferguson, Missouri. Brown was accompanied by his 22-year-old friend Dorian Johnson. Johnson claimed that Wilson initiated a confrontation by grabbing Brown by the neck through his car window, threatening him, and then shooting at him. At this point, both Wilson and Johnson state that Brown and Johnson fled, with Wilson pursuing Brown shortly thereafter. Wilson stated that Brown stopped and charged him after a short pursuit but Johnson contradicted this account, stating that Brown turned around with his hands raised after Wilson shot at his back. According to Johnson, Wilson then shot Brown multiple times until Brown fell to the ground. In the entire altercation, Wilson fired a total of twelve bullets, including twice during the struggle in the car the last was probably the fatal shot. Brown was struck six times, all in the front of his body.

This event ignited unrest in Ferguson. Protests, both peaceful and violent, continued for more than a week in Ferguson. A grand jury was called and given extensive evidence from Robert McCulloch, the St. Louis County Prosecutor. On November 24, 2014, McCulloch announced the St. Louis County grand jury had decided not to indict Wilson. In March 2015, the U.S. Department of Justice reported the conclusion of its own investigation and cleared Wilson of civil rights violations in the shooting. The U.S. Department of Justice concluded that Wilson shot Brown in self-defense.

2. ERIC HARRIS

The 2015 shooting of Eric Harris occurred on April 2, 2015, when 44-year-old Eric Courtney Harris was fatally shot during an undercover sting in Tulsa, Oklahoma, as Harris ran from authorities unarmed. While Harris was being subdued, Tulsa County Reserve Deputy Robert Charles "Bob" Bates, 73, allegedly confused his personal weapon, a Smith & Wesson .357 revolver, for a Model X26 Taser. Bates shot Harris in the back when he was on the ground. According to the Tulsa County Sheriff's office, he immediately said afterward, "Oh, I shot him! I'm sorry."Bates was found guilty of manslaughter and sentenced to four years in prison. It was later determined that Harris did not have a gun when he was tackled and shot. A sunglasses-camera video shows his arms flailing as he runs. Bates was later charged with second-degree manslaughter.

Harris family attorney Donald Smolen said the sunglasses video shows Deputy Bates with a yellow Taser strapped to his chest and a .357 revolver in his right hand as he stands over Harris. "There is absolutely no way, if Mr. Bates had been trained at all, which I believe will be reflected ultimately through the lack of records to substantiate his training, that an officer who was trained would [ever] get these two weapons confused," Smolen said.
In the video, Harris can be heard saying, "I'm losing my breath," to which 38-year-old Deputy Joseph Byars replies, "Bleep your breath." 24-year-old Deputy Michael Huckeby is also shown in the video kneeling on Harris' head as the dying Harris is told, "You shouldn't have ran" and "Shut the Bleep up.

In March 2018, Tulsa County agreed to pay the family of Eric Harris six million dollars as a final settlement of a federal lawsuit.

1. Eric Garner.

Eric Garner died in New York City after Daniel Pantaleo, a New York City Police Department (NYPD) officer, put him in a chokehold while arresting him. It was gathered that NYPD officers approached Garner on July 17 on suspicion of selling single cigarettes from packs without tax stamps. After Garner told the police that he was tired of being harassed and that he was not selling cigarettes, the officers attempted to arrest Garner. When Pantaleo placed his hands on Garner, Garner pulled his arms away. Pantaleo then placed his arm around Garner's neck and wrestled him to the ground. With multiple officers pinning him down, Garner repeated the words "I can't breathe" 11 times while lying face down on the sidewalk. After Garner lost consciousness, officers turned him onto his side, continuing their chokehold. Garner remained laying on the sidewalk for seven minutes while the officers waited for an ambulance to arrive. Garner was pronounced dead at an area hospital approximately one hour later. Video footage of the incident generated widespread national attention and raised questions about the appropriate use of force by law enforcement.

On December 4, 2014, a Richmond County grand jury decided not to indict Pantaleo. This decision stirred public protests and rallies, with charges of police brutality made by protesters. By December 28, 2014, at least 50 demonstrations had been held nationwide in response to the Garner case, while hundreds of demonstrations against general police brutality counted Garner as a focal point. On July 13, 2015, an out-of-court settlement was announced in which the City of New York would pay the Garner family $5.9 million

Click on the link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNDDxeXSjG8 to watch the video on YouTube

Re: BLACK LIVES MATTER: Five Police Brutality Movements Worse Than George Floyd's by Nobody: 2:44pm On Jun 22, 2020
What of Alton Sterling, a 37-year-old black guy selling CD, killed in Baton Rouge by a white cop after they had successfully handcuffed and pinned him to the ground ? The heartless white dude shot him in the heart claiming he was reaching for his gun. Thanks to the video recorded by a bystander. People would have believed everything they said hook, line and sinker. And the cop with his accomplice were allowed to go unpunished.
Re: BLACK LIVES MATTER: Five Police Brutality Movements Worse Than George Floyd's by fabulous05(m): 3:00pm On Jun 22, 2020
him too, his story is also terrible

(1) (Reply)

Dolapo Badmus Advises Nigerians On How To Identify Scammers / 60-year-old Man Arrested For Defiling 9-year-old Girl In Anambra / How Our Houseboy Killed My Wife, Tried To Kill Me Too – Injured Widower, Ralph W

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.