Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,412 members, 7,819,477 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:59 PM

Should The Death Penalty Exist? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Should The Death Penalty Exist? (582 Views)

Lagos Environmental Task Force Denies Involvement In The Death Of Man In Oshodi / I Killed An Inland Taipan In My Factory.. Taipan Really Exist In Nigeria.. / Help! I Saw The Death Of PHYNO, What Should I Do (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should The Death Penalty Exist? by Ivannsays: 7:04pm On Jun 22, 2020
Visit: http://ivannsays..com/2020/06/should-death-penalty-exist.html

Isn't it quite questionable to punish offenders by death, should we or should we not take a man's life for the crime he committed? Where has our fellow feeling gone to? Asking this questions, you might be expecting me not to brace death penalty... Nah.. The topic is both sensitive and difficult at the same time. So, let's unfold it to a better understanding.

WHAT IS DEATH PENALTY?
Death penalty also known as capital punishment is a legally sanctioned practice whereby a person guilty of crime is killed for the crime committed. This punishment is executed by either hanging, beheading, electrocution, shooting, or lethal injections. Note that each form has the intent to bring about a slow, painful and toturous death. Do you think it should be abolished? Should humans be served with a death sentence? Before you respond to this question, let's take a look at the two opposing sides, hopefully you get to choose your stand for sure.

PROPOSING SIDE.
1) Here, the first point that comes to mind is that death penalty will inhibit criminals and potential criminals from certain crimes. Naturally, humans fear death, an average person will double think before committing a crime knowing fully well that death is the outcome. Death penalty is bound to discourage criminals from committing certain odious crimes.

2) Death penalty saves cost. It cuts down the cost of providing for imprisoned criminals. I could buy the idea of death sentence for a person who's been served a life term in jail, what's the need of living? Spending on food, shelter, and other basic things until the day he drops dead rather than saving taxpayers alot and resdirecting that fund to other sections where its needed. This gives another tick to death penalty because it drastically saves cost.

3) Another point is the "A life for a life" concept. There should be equivalent punishment for odious crimes. Let's take a good example of a terrorist who purposely kill innocent lives, it is only fair that death penalty reduces them one after the other. Bringing this back to our fatherland, Imagine if the Boko Haram or Fulani Herdsmen are caught and brought to justice. How do you want justice on these terrorists to be served? Cold or hot hot? Exactly my point ( yeah... I heard your answer). Now you see how death penalty can deter the occurrence of such serious crime.

4) Our society is congested with different types of people. In this case, i'm talking about the never repenting criminal, the hardened blood suckers, who gets sentenced and still escape from prison back to the society. Instead of helping them market the idea of escaping from jail, is it not rather wise such person is sentenced to death. Hereby, making the general population safe from harm.
These are reasons why death penalty should still exist.

OPPOSING SIDE.
Going through the proposition viewpoint, i'm certain you must have seen reasons to support death penalty. Anyway, don't be too forward because below are tangible reasons why death penalty should be eradicated.

1) It's against religious beliefs. We are aware that God frowns at killing as stated in His commandment. When we execute such penalty on an offender, what's the difference does it make of us? We also are committing offence against God. The law has no right to take away life no matter the offence being committed. Since the so called law believes and respects God so much, why present a bible in the court room knowing fully well you disobey its instructions? Why cast a stone ignorantly when you're drowning in sin? These are not idle questions. Christianity being the largest religion is against death penalty.

2) It breaches fundamental right. The same law which created fundamental rights such as right to live or freedom to live still goes ahead to violate it. I mean this is rather ridiculous, everyone has the right to live. Why trample on the right which you naturally approved of? This counters the "A life for a life" concept.

3) Mistakes may happen randomly. When this is dicovered how do you handle it? For instance where an innocent person is being convicted for a crime he knows nothing about, how do you correct such mistake when his innocence is discovered alas! Do you go mounting an apologetic tombstone over his grave? What about those he left behind? This is why capital punishment should be abolished because such cases can be redeemed if sentenced to life imprisonment.

4) Sadly, prejudice is usually applied on death penalty. In some cases, justice can be partial and unjust. In a society where class, race, economic affluence or position play a mighty role in our daily encounters, majority of those who receive death penalty tend to be amongst the have-nots, are poorly educated and non-affluencial. Since the imposition of death penalty has no regards to the prior mentioned, it should be abolished.

5) Some criminals tend to repent and refine their lives. Hereby becoming role models to the rest of the prisoners. Some become pastors, motivational tutors and so on. Their reformed lives show good and meaningful examples. Sadly, death penalty only stops this from happening, it takes away the second chance at life to becoming a better person in future.

Permit me to say that death penalty is the crux to dehumization. So, without any futher ado, did my idea on the proposing side override that of the opposing side and otherwise? Do you support or oppose death penalty? Leave your opinions in the comment section below. Have a pleasant week ahead!
Visit:http://ivannsays..com/2020/06/should-death-penalty-exist.html

Re: Should The Death Penalty Exist? by Vyzz: 7:18pm On Jun 22, 2020
cool
Re: Should The Death Penalty Exist? by illicit(m): 7:34pm On Jun 22, 2020
It's better is they are fed to animals alive.
Re: Should The Death Penalty Exist? by Ivannsays: 7:37pm On Jun 22, 2020
illicit:
It's better is they are fed to animals alive.
Oh wow. That's so cruel cry
Re: Should The Death Penalty Exist? by illicit(m): 7:40pm On Jun 22, 2020
Ivannsays:

Oh wow. That's so cruel cry

Well, it's natural and not artificial like execution
Re: Should The Death Penalty Exist? by Lorazepam(f): 7:42pm On Jun 22, 2020
I think it should be reserved for certain severe crimes such as genocide, serial killers, terrorists etc
Re: Should The Death Penalty Exist? by yinkus6750(m): 7:54pm On Jun 22, 2020
The kind of devilish acts been carried out by the present generation really needs death penalty to be sustained for very critical cases.
Like Uwa, raped and murdered. So, if the culprits are caught they shouldn't be sentenced to death?
That's one if the ways to reduce jungle justice, when you sure of what awaits the criminal.

(1) (Reply)

Finecoat Paint Boss, Dr. Aderemi Emmanuel Awode At 57 / Kwara student Association Honors the reputable work of Francis Oluwatosin Shoga / Anambra Prophet Onyeze Jesus Perfoms Naked Money Ritual Bath For Young Men In Ri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.