Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,747 members, 7,824,149 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:47 AM

Why You Should Know Your Blood Rhesus Factor. - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Why You Should Know Your Blood Rhesus Factor. (304 Views)

You Can Measure Your Blood Pressure At Home: Learn How / My Challenges With Rhesus Factor In Pregnancy And How I Overcame It / Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why You Should Know Your Blood Rhesus Factor. by 2lola: 11:30pm On Jun 22, 2020
I saw a thread where someone was asking if people have ever lost a relationship cause of genotypes and someone asked about Rhesus factor so I decided to write this.

First of all what is
Rhesus Factor(Rh)?

It is a type of protein found on blood(RBC) surface. A person can either be Rh+ or Rh-.

How do I know my Rhesus factor?

If you have ever done a blood test then you should know your Rhesus factor, as it is done together.
E.g
If you are A+ then you are Rh+
If you are A- then you are Rh-
Same applies to other blood groups AB, B and O.

Why should I know my Rhesus factor?

Unlike genotype the Rh factor doesn't necessary mean you can't marry anyone just that precautions and some some drugs especially for women during pregnancy and after to avoid still death.

If a Rh+ woman marries a Rh- man the unborn baby will be Rh+. This Rh+ is foreign to the mother's body but during pregnancy and the baby and the mother blood do not mix so the mother's body is not producing any ntibody. But during child birth the mother and the child blood mix causing the mother mother's body to produce an antibody against the baby Rh+ blood. Luckily the first born escape unharm. The antibodies already produced are stored in the mother blood and subsequent pregnancy are exposed to the any antibody which causes still-birth and if the child is lucky enough to Survive he/she will suffer from Knecterus( a brain damage).

What is the solution?
During pregnancy a Rh- mother is given a Rhogam injection between 26-28 weeks of pregnancy. If the child is born and found to be Rh+ the mother is given another dose less than 72 hours after birth. Rhogam prevent the mother bodies from producing antibody.

Who are those at risk of Rhesus factor complications?

A Rh+ woman who

1.did not receive rhogam injection during or immediately after any pregnancy.

2.Perform abortion without taking the rhogam injection.

Know your Rhesus factor it is as important as genotype.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Dead Man Forced Out Of Casket After Refusing To Be Transported(video). / OMG!! Onion Juice Magic On Your Hair / Vladdin Vantage - MTL& DL Small Pod System

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.