Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,176 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:57 AM

Foolishness Or Bravery? Why The Soldier Who Called Buratai A Coward Won't Win - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foolishness Or Bravery? Why The Soldier Who Called Buratai A Coward Won't Win (866 Views)

Is Lt. Gen (Retd.) Buratai A Power Monger? / Meet 'Over Stay' The Soldier That Has Been Fighting Boko Haram For 6 Years / "My Father, Festus Oluwayi Is The Soldier Captured By Boko Haram" - Twitter User (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Foolishness Or Bravery? Why The Soldier Who Called Buratai A Coward Won't Win by Nobody: 5:57pm On Jun 24, 2020
Some call him a hero, others beg to differ. Some call him a fool, others say he is brave. Is this really bravery? Or plain foolishness? I'll let you all be the judge. But before you pronounce your sentence, it is best you know the rules. The rules Lance Corporal Martins broke.

Who is this Lance Corporal Martins? He is the latest news in town. Some have heard of him, others haven't. So let's meet the latest news causing a rave of argument in the socio-political sphere of Nigeria.

In not too many days before now, Lance Corporal Martins made a video that was released online by Sahara Reporters. The video, which has so far generated lots of heat online, was made in response to the many killings in the North and Nigeria as a whole. In the video, Martins criticized the current Chief of Army Staff, Lt. Gen. Tukur Buratai, and the National Security Adviser, Gen. Mohammed Babagana Monguno (Rtrd).

Martins voiced his disappointment in these security chiefs. They are all from the North but the North is dying, stated Martins. He called Buratai a coward, betrayer and a traitor. He said he isn't from the North, but he was voicing his opinion as 'a concerned citizen'. Isn't he brave? Isn't he a hero?

He has shared our sentiment of what we already know. But what makes him brave and a hero is that he did that as 'a concerned citizen' in the uniform. He made a video, like many other soldiers uncared for in the battlefield have done, to let out his frustration about the state of insecurity in the country -- patriotism at its best, maybe.

It is disheartening that the country is being led by a retired Army General from the North, but it doesn't feel like it.

It is heart-rending that the Army headquarters is still in Abuja, after our president had commanded, during his inauguration promise, it be moved to Borno.

It is troubling that the Chief of Army Staff is from Borno, and yet people are still being killed there.

It is hard to take knowing that the National Security Adviser, NSA, is from Borno, and yet no respite in sight in Borno.

It is heartbreaking to know that the Minister of Defence of Nigeria is from the North, and the #NorthernLivesMatter is trending on Twitter. Same goes to other security outfits.

Martins could have thought about all this, and find it hard to believe people up north are still dying. He could have wondered, as a well trained soldier, how come his colleagues in uniform are easily being run over by the rag-tag Jihadists? So he made a video, voicing out his frustration.

His video melts the heart of Nigerians -- a video that taps into the conscious emotions of Nigerians. He is the new hero. A brave man who could take on his superior.

But wait he isn't any hero. Brave, you call his action; it is mere foolishness. You could dance and sing to his bravery -- I wish I could do the same. But he has broken the rules.

What rules, you ask? The military codes and rules. In one of the many codes you signed for when you join the military, is that you don't criticize a superior officer or talk back to your commanding officer. Martins just did. In fact, he did that in his khaki.

But he only did that in a video. Oh, yeah? Whatever means a criticism is made doesn't count. What matters is that he publicly committed mutiny (dissent against constituted authority)

As much as I would love to sing his praise for what he did, I won't support any form of Indiscipline in the military. And so should you. No country, even in Israel where there is no military hierarchy, would allow a voice of dissent in its ranks. Discipline is a watchword in the army.

Martins knew what he did was bad, that is why he was calling for help from civil right lawyers and concerned citizens to help out. He forgot that the civil law does not apply to mutiny. The military court would try him, and not the civil court.

Stirring up Nigerians' emotions won't help him, either -- he has acted foolishly. We are a docile country, and no one cares. If we cared, Nigeria would have been better than this. Lots of soldiers have done this, got arrested and we've moved on; we will also move on from this. So Martins may not win.

Activism isn't allowed in the military. If you...

Continue Reading here...

https://www.operanewsapp.com/ng/en/share/detail?news_id=1555b3c86c483c400022c6ef3ebf9019&news_entry_id=s7da516cb200624en_ng&open_type=tanscoded&request_id=news_3f94fc2d-02e2-439d-91da-16daaa85c372&from=news

Re: Foolishness Or Bravery? Why The Soldier Who Called Buratai A Coward Won't Win by missjekyll: 6:13pm On Jun 24, 2020
I beg to disagree. you are allowed to have a mind of your own in the Military. Just saying I was ordered to do this is not enough.

Every single thing he said was true. I laughed when I heard news of his arrest. How do you punish a man who fears nothing? I pity his tormentors. They should just release him quietly and clean the egg off their face

3 Likes

Re: Foolishness Or Bravery? Why The Soldier Who Called Buratai A Coward Won't Win by hisgrace090: 6:32pm On Jun 24, 2020
No matter the outcome he have won already by daring the undarrable buratai and the cabals.

1 Like

Re: Foolishness Or Bravery? Why The Soldier Who Called Buratai A Coward Won't Win by janjaweedism: 6:48pm On Jun 24, 2020
The guy have just told you that the "galant" Nigerian military is rubbish.

They're just idiots that specialized in killing her own innocent citizens and leave the terrorist to kill freely.

2 Likes

Re: Foolishness Or Bravery? Why The Soldier Who Called Buratai A Coward Won't Win by Afolabimills(m): 6:57pm On Jun 24, 2020
Martin even though they arrest u n bring up d useless codes to condem u to death like they are doing to thousands of Nigerians daily it doesn't change the fact that u remain brave n an hero if they end up killing u ur blood will seek for vengeance at out so many innocent blood spilled daily by d wicked govt u won my heart brave man of war

1 Like

Re: Foolishness Or Bravery? Why The Soldier Who Called Buratai A Coward Won't Win by sapientia(m): 7:23pm On Jun 24, 2020
He bleeped up
Re: Foolishness Or Bravery? Why The Soldier Who Called Buratai A Coward Won't Win by Supan(m): 8:07pm On Jun 24, 2020
sapientia:
He bleeped up

If your eyes and ears haven't seen and heard enough to make you weep for Nigerians, then you must be a coward. Everyone isn't.

I wish I was him. I'll make sure, I serve close to that Burantashi, My service rifle would have completed the job.

3 Likes

Re: Foolishness Or Bravery? Why The Soldier Who Called Buratai A Coward Won't Win by Nobody: 8:56pm On Jun 24, 2020
missjekyll:
I beg to disagree. you are allowed to have a mind of your own in the Military. Just saying I was ordered to do this is not enough.

Every single thing he said was true. I laughed when I heard news of his arrest. How do you punish a man who fears nothing? I pity his tormentors. They should just release him quietly and clean the egg off their face

Don't mind the OP...

In the international criminal court, you as a soldier must answer for yourself there's nothing like I was ordered to do it

1 Like

Re: Foolishness Or Bravery? Why The Soldier Who Called Buratai A Coward Won't Win by Nobody: 8:58pm On Jun 24, 2020
You as OP, you're coward.....
Why can't you join the army or go and protest....
Re: Foolishness Or Bravery? Why The Soldier Who Called Buratai A Coward Won't Win by jlinkd78(m): 9:08pm On Jun 24, 2020
Noted
Re: Foolishness Or Bravery? Why The Soldier Who Called Buratai A Coward Won't Win by anungangampu: 9:13pm On Jun 24, 2020
He knows what he is up for.. Doesn't need your self pity on
Re: Foolishness Or Bravery? Why The Soldier Who Called Buratai A Coward Won't Win by Emedu(m): 9:35pm On Jun 24, 2020
You are the real coward Indeed. Nigeria will not change with this type of your attitude. We should systematically support him and clamour for his immediate release. If everyone in authority or place of influence had raised his/ her voice up like this man everything would have been better. But if everyone continue to be like you nothing will ever change.

1 Like

Re: Foolishness Or Bravery? Why The Soldier Who Called Buratai A Coward Won't Win by hollah123: 10:38pm On Jun 24, 2020
Xavfra:

Don't mind the OP...

In the international criminal court, you as a soldier must answer for yourself there's nothing like I was ordered to do it
u are a kid to how military operates, I don't blame u cos u are just typing it as it's coming to your brain

in your leisure time read about sergeant Roger n Al Mustapha....
Re: Foolishness Or Bravery? Why The Soldier Who Called Buratai A Coward Won't Win by hollah123: 10:46pm On Jun 24, 2020
that Martin's of a guy is one of the greatest fool I have ever seen all my life...even if u want to expose the wrongs in d military u can travel out then create a YouTube channel where u expose n make money at d same time.

The stupid fool is willing to sacrifice his like for the foolish Nigerians n d useless youths we have in the country,the best they will do for him is to create an hashtag for him on Twitter n talk about him for like 15-20 minutes then tacha who doesn't send them n who doesn't care,tacha who is ever ready to oppress them n show them she's balling will post something n the useless Nigerians will forget about d man that laid his life for them n they will start arguing about mercy n tacha.

Buhari will mortgage their future by borrowing billions but they don't care,they just want to prove to everyone that they are marlians n they are woke n civilised by talking about celebrities who don't care.

The soldier man Na better idiot, I sure say in no time he will b forgotten
Re: Foolishness Or Bravery? Why The Soldier Who Called Buratai A Coward Won't Win by Nobody: 11:13pm On Jun 24, 2020
hollah123:
u are a kid to how military operates, I don't blame u cos u are just typing it as it's coming to your brain

in your leisure time read about sergeant Roger n Al Mustapha....

Excuse me sir .....

You think because of what you watch on YouTube you've understood everything....

Why didn't you refer to what I said concerning the ICC you should have countered it....

One thing I've noticed about these so called adults on Nairaland is the fact that they think they are wiser because they're older than other people......

C'mon mister man.... I don't need to expose who I am before you know who I am.....

The ICC over rules every judgement from the country's martial court ......

I can invite you to Sierra alpha Mike bravo India Sierra alpha......

Before clearance the next day, you'll resign....

Go back and watch the video......simple comprehension is difficult for you.....he buttressed his assertions with facts from the constitution of the Nigerian army.....

1 Like

Re: Foolishness Or Bravery? Why The Soldier Who Called Buratai A Coward Won't Win by emimore: 10:03am On Jun 25, 2020
For me this guy is brave. He must have calculated the cost before embarking on such a mission. It is a case of 'if you talk you die, if you no talk you still die. The guy decided to be the sacrificial lamb, he knew it might cost his life. After all many of his colleagues have died and they did not talk. They were not brave enough to break whatever rule that did not permit them to say their mind but permitted their superior to engage in selfish activities to the detriment of not only their lives but the lives of the Nigerian society.

The guy, most likely, will be killed silently, especially, if the populace does not speak up for him, just like other people who tried to do so were silenced, but he has , at least, played a notable part to the freedom of the Nigerian military from the shackles of corrupt senior officers by voicing it. He has raised a valid point for people to cry out against. He did that, not just as a Nigerian but as an insider, a military officer.

Believe you me, he has said the mind of most other military officers and this will leave Buratai and co to trade with caution and might attract international concerns. It has also given credence to some of the reports of Amnesty and other international organizations. He is a hero

Martinsisabravesoldier

1 Like

Re: Foolishness Or Bravery? Why The Soldier Who Called Buratai A Coward Won't Win by Nobody: 10:12am On Jun 25, 2020
Xavfra:
You as OP, you're coward..... Why can't you join the army or go and protest....
Waiting for you take action first, sir
Re: Foolishness Or Bravery? Why The Soldier Who Called Buratai A Coward Won't Win by Nobody: 10:19am On Jun 25, 2020
SammyBiyi:

Waiting for you take action first, sir

You're criticising someone who has the morale to confront the stupidity of Nigeria while you seat at home.....

How is your morale
Re: Foolishness Or Bravery? Why The Soldier Who Called Buratai A Coward Won't Win by Nobody: 12:13pm On Jun 25, 2020
Xavfra:

You're criticising someone who has the morale to confront the stupidity of Nigeria while you seat at home.....

How is your morale

No vex sir. My morale? I follow the rules. As stated in the article, if you must criticize your superior in the army, do that as a civilian.

You and I, as civilians under democracy, have the luxury to criticize the military at will, not a serving personnel. That's the rule everywhere in the world. This is not applicable to Nigeria alone.

Military, everywhere in the world, does not give room to activism.

The article isn't about me. It is about the rule and for you to judge, sir.

In next 2 - 3 weeks, we will all forget about him. This is Nigeria. By the way, he hasn't said anything we don't already know.

If, however, you feel offended, please, no vex. My apologies.

1 Like

Re: Foolishness Or Bravery? Why The Soldier Who Called Buratai A Coward Won't Win by Nobody: 12:22pm On Jun 25, 2020
SammyBiyi:

No vex sir. My morale? I follow the rules. As stated in the article, if you must criticize your superior in the army, do that as a civilian.

You and I, as civilians under democracy, have the luxury to criticize the military at will, not a serving personnel. That's the rule everywhere in the world. This is not applicable to Nigeria alone.

Military, everywhere in the world, does not give room to activism.

The article isn't about me. It is about the rule and for you to judge, sir.

In next 2 - 3 weeks, we will all forget about him. This is Nigeria. By the way, he hasn't said anything we don't already know.

If, however, you feel offended, please, no vex. My apologies.

Abeg sir!!!!

I'm not offended I like the very fact that you disagreed with me..... thanks...

Surely Nigerians have already forgotten him.....

In as much as the military doesn't permit activism, the ICC doesn't care.......every soldier stands on his own even he or she was forced at gun point to do it......
Re: Foolishness Or Bravery? Why The Soldier Who Called Buratai A Coward Won't Win by Wiseandtrue(f): 12:23pm On Jun 25, 2020
Either he spoke out or not, what will come for him will come

If it's not Bokoharam it's the very nation he's serving, so why not speak out

He knew the implication of what he was doing

Yet he spoke up, not only for himself but for others

A country with 50% bravery would have thrown their weight behind him instead of entertaining fears

He has done his part and history will remember him for it

They might come for him today, but whose turn will it be tomorrow

I salute his courage and bravery

Re: Foolishness Or Bravery? Why The Soldier Who Called Buratai A Coward Won't Win by McCoy662(m): 12:31pm On Jun 25, 2020
Posterity will remember him for his bravery. He knew it all but then chose to stir up if there's any atom of shame in the lives of the cowards we call Leaders.
Well, for me, this is not a time of witch hunting Martins but a time for serious introspection. What did he say in the video that is not true? The leaders should as well think of a better way to reposition the military so it can serve it's purpose.
Killing Martins won't kill the truth; it will rather show more clearly how weak our military is.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Edo Deputy Gov, Shaibu Tours Benin, Ekpoma, Auchi, Showcases Achievements / Where Was Sowore During The Revolutionnow Protest / Ondo 2020: Profile Of Engr. Gboye Adegbenro Fnse, Zlp Deputy Governor Candidate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.