Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,953 members, 7,821,351 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:47 AM

Is This An Offer Letter Or A Threat - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Is This An Offer Letter Or A Threat (5502 Views)

Has Anyone Received Offer Letter From Teach For Nigeria (TFN) / Vital Information Must Be In Your Offer Letter Before You Accept It. / My Boss Indirectly Refused To Give Me An Offer Letter. What Should I Do? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is This An Offer Letter Or A Threat by Humbleamanda(f): 1:06am On Jun 26, 2020
Note, I applied for the post of microbiologist, and they plead with me to help them in doing little secretary work like receiving and sending email that they will get a new secretary within a short time. Now they have indicated in the offer letter that and taking two position just for 60k. Meanwhile this job required that I have to live in the factory quarters to go home on Friday evening. I am a married woman though still expecting to have children, I plead with them to give me one day off on Wednesdays they disagree. I want to turn down this offer, what is your candid advise?

1 Like

Re: Is This An Offer Letter Or A Threat by ojun50(m): 1:15am On Jun 26, 2020
Discuss with your husband first

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is This An Offer Letter Or A Threat by James39: 1:23am On Jun 26, 2020
Ask yourself if you've got another option.
And weight the options (if there is a second option)
Compare your working hours and nature of the job to the pay

Discuss with your husband.

And also remember that they know people will be looking for jobs at this time where there is high volume of job loss due to corona.

If you say no, there are thousands who would say yes.

I pray God helps you with your final decision.

3 Likes

Re: Is This An Offer Letter Or A Threat by sgd: 1:34am On Jun 26, 2020
Like my page for latest job, internship and scholarship opportunities https://www.facebook.com/opportunitiescommunity/
������
Re: Is This An Offer Letter Or A Threat by illicit(m): 4:56am On Jun 26, 2020
Talk with ur better half

2 Likes

Re: Is This An Offer Letter Or A Threat by flyingdutchman(m): 6:02am On Jun 26, 2020
This letter contravenes ALL civil labour laws! The law stipulates that you are to give 30 days notice to resign, not 60 days.

28 Likes

Re: Is This An Offer Letter Or A Threat by Benwallt(m): 6:12am On Jun 26, 2020
The chairman has ulterior motif. They were able to get a microbiologist but not a secretary. Be wise. That chairman wanna chop you.

22 Likes

Re: Is This An Offer Letter Or A Threat by phemmyfour: 6:34am On Jun 26, 2020
Humbleamanda:
Note, I applied for the post of microbiologist, and they plead with me to help them in doing little secretary work like receiving and sending email that they will get a new secretary within a short time. Now they have indicated in the offer letter that and taking two position just for 60k. Meanwhile this job required that I have to live in the factory quarters to go home on Friday evening. I am a married woman though still expecting to have children, I plead with them to give me one day off on Wednesdays they disagree. I want to turn down this offer, what is your candid advise?
What's "appointment offer" letter ? English don suffer. Next time, don't start work before receiving your appointment letter. You are only playing into the hands of your employer

1 Like

Re: Is This An Offer Letter Or A Threat by Allbutty: 6:43am On Jun 26, 2020
Please reject this Offer. I am an HR person and trust me, you will suffer if you accept this. Head Microbiologist for 60k? Look at the tone of the letter! And what do they mean by 6 month probation? 6 Freaking month!!! Just for probation!

22 Likes

Re: Is This An Offer Letter Or A Threat by chiommy123(f): 6:45am On Jun 26, 2020
if you don't have any other offer yet just manage this one after you've discussed with your husband. who gives notice before leaving this days except na correct company
Re: Is This An Offer Letter Or A Threat by punisha: 7:11am On Jun 26, 2020
This sounds like a "take my offer or I shove it down your throat"

Extra hours you will work is it for free?
Why 60days notice?
Shouldn't the appraisal after probation come with a raise in salary too?
Why make life difficult for someone when you are still paying them peanuts?
You already are uncomfortable with the offer...niw u have made me uncomfortable with it too

7 Likes

Re: Is This An Offer Letter Or A Threat by Sopyopsy: 8:02am On Jun 26, 2020
My dear accept it and if u can't cope along the line, biko leave after receiving ur salary. Don't give any stupid notice, moreover no standard org will be requesting for 2months notice. And also av it in mind that, they are employing u for 6months, after 6months they are getting another person to use. And also, don't move fully into the apartment, only go dere with hand luggage, in case u won japa without notice.

12 Likes

Re: Is This An Offer Letter Or A Threat by Jamesbiodun(m): 8:11am On Jun 26, 2020
did I just see Igbesa? are you staying around there? which factory is it Viju or Tiles, most of the factory in Igbesa are owned by Chinese and India... my advice for you is to get a better job, people working daily are treated bad by the Chinese or India master.
they want you to work without going home till weekend, that is very bad.
Re: Is This An Offer Letter Or A Threat by Humbleamanda(f): 8:15am On Jun 26, 2020
phemmyfour:
What's "appointment offer" letter ? English don suffer. Next time, don't start work before receiving your appointment letter. You are only playing into the hands of your employer

I am yet to start work. Thanks for your advice

1 Like

Re: Is This An Offer Letter Or A Threat by Humbleamanda(f): 8:17am On Jun 26, 2020
Jamesbiodun:
did I just see Igbesa? are you staying around there? which factory is it Viju or Tiles, most of the factory in Igbesa are owned by Chinese and India... my advice for you is to get a better job, people working daily are treated bad by the Chinese or India master.
they want you to work without going home till weekend, that is very bad.

The company is owned by Nigerian. Thanks for your advice
Re: Is This An Offer Letter Or A Threat by Humbleamanda(f): 8:18am On Jun 26, 2020
Sopyopsy:
My dear accept it and if u can't cope along the line, biko leave after receiving ur salary. Don't give any stupid notice, moreover no standard org will be requesting for 2months notice. And also av it in mind that, they are employing u for 6months, after 6months they are getting another person to use. And also, don't move fully into the apartment, only go dere with hand luggage, in case u won japa without notice.

Thanks dear
Re: Is This An Offer Letter Or A Threat by wunaESQ(m): 8:26am On Jun 26, 2020
reject the offer immediately and go learn a skill
Re: Is This An Offer Letter Or A Threat by Humbleamanda(f): 8:33am On Jun 26, 2020
punisha:
This sounds like a "take my offer or I shove it down your throat"

Extra hours you will work is it for free?
Why 60days notice?
Shouldn't the appraisal after probation come with a raise in salary too?
Why make life difficult for someone when you are still paying them peanuts?
You already are uncomfortable with the offer...niw u have made me uncomfortable with it too

They said there will be salary increment after the six months probation. But I doubt that because in the job advert, they stated the salary range is 40-50k. We were upto 10 people that went for the interview, they choose me because I have 5 years experience and have attended some training with NAFDAC , so I insist they should raise the salary because I am the first person that will be working as a microbiologist in their firm. I am their to start everything from beginning, both working in Lab, developing all the documents needed by NAFDAC, etc. I think what they want to do is after I must have developed those documents, and placed SOPs on how each equipment is being used they will employ new person after six months to pay lesser salary and give me one excuse why they can't increase my salary.

21 Likes

Re: Is This An Offer Letter Or A Threat by Humbleamanda(f): 8:35am On Jun 26, 2020
Allbutty:
Please reject this Offer. I am an HR person and trust me, you will suffer if you accept this. Head Microbiologist for 60k? Look at the tone of the letter! And what do they mean by 6 month probation? 6 Freaking month!!! Just for probation!

Thanks dear
Re: Is This An Offer Letter Or A Threat by rockinrobin: 8:46am On Jun 26, 2020
2 months salary in lieu, that reads like a place where salary is owed. Thier first impression is not good, accept that offer only when you are desperate and make sure you have serious plans to move to a more convenient place.

3 Likes

Re: Is This An Offer Letter Or A Threat by Humbleamanda(f): 8:52am On Jun 26, 2020
rockinrobin:
2 months salary in lieu, that reads like a place where salary is owed. Thier first impression is not good, accept that offer only when you are desperate and make sure you have serious plans to move to a more convenient place.

Thanks dear
Re: Is This An Offer Letter Or A Threat by Thousandnaire: 9:03am On Jun 26, 2020
This is a clear Description of Manipulation of an Employer that wants to capitalize on the circumstances brought by Covid. If you accept this offer you've shut the door to other offers for the next 6months.because there's no way you can attend other job's interviews while staying in that cage all through the week. Better still you can accept the offer, use and dump the Company quickly before they do the same to you.

3 Likes

Re: Is This An Offer Letter Or A Threat by Goalnaldo(m): 9:12am On Jun 26, 2020
Benwallt:
The chairman has ulterior motif. They were able to get a microbiologist but not a secretary. Be wise. That chairman wanna chop you.
Oil dey your head. he easily got a microbiologist which is supposed to be more difficult to get.

1 Like

Re: Is This An Offer Letter Or A Threat by Nobody: 9:15am On Jun 26, 2020
angryangryangry

Na the general nature of some appointment letter be this. Dem dey get harsh tone. People dey shout reject reject reject...

If you know that you and your husband are not financially stable it will be reasonable to reconsider by discussing this with your husband if he will be comfortable with it.
Work with them for a period of a month or two and if you feel their working condition is not convenient for you, then you can resign. This will be better than rejecting the offer at first sight. Don't be surprised that many of those advising you are still be fed by their parents. You've bills to pay and so much responsibility to shoulder. You can't be asking your husbbi for money at all times.

Since you don't have a child yet, discuss it with your husband again...

4 Likes

Re: Is This An Offer Letter Or A Threat by Humbleamanda(f): 9:19am On Jun 26, 2020
OrestesDante:
angryangryangry

Na the general nature of some appointment letter be this. Dem dey get harsh tone. People dey shout reject reject reject...

If you know that you and your husband are not financially stable it will be reasonable to reconsider by discussing this with your husband if he will be comfortable with it.
Work with them for a period of a month or two and if you feel their working condition is not convenient for you, then you can resign. This will be better than rejecting the offer at first sight. Don't be surprised that many of those advising you are still be fed by their parents. You've bills to pay and so much responsibility to shoulder. You can't be asking your husbbi for money at all times.

Since you don't have a child yet, discuss it with your husband again...

Thanks dear
Re: Is This An Offer Letter Or A Threat by Benwallt(m): 9:30am On Jun 26, 2020
Goalnaldo:
Oil dey your head. he easily got a microbiologist which is supposed to be more difficult to get.
u just carry me to my destination. Beta oil dey ur head. It won't even take 24hrs to get a secretary

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is This An Offer Letter Or A Threat by pansophist(m): 9:35am On Jun 26, 2020
This is a slave contract disguised as an employment contract. Do not accept this. Too many red flags. Six months of probation (without explicitly stating if it is a paid probation), two months resignation (instead of one month). theft warning (implying the projection of immorality of employees), and the overall decorum of the spirit the letter was written with. You have to be really desperate, without options, and did far worse job to accept this one.

Move on.

4 Likes

Re: Is This An Offer Letter Or A Threat by OgaVoltron: 9:44am On Jun 26, 2020
Never start what you can't finish. Don't be suprised when after a year they still don't look for another secretary.

4 Likes

Re: Is This An Offer Letter Or A Threat by Nobody: 10:10am On Jun 26, 2020
Slavery

1 Like

Re: Is This An Offer Letter Or A Threat by Humbleamanda(f): 10:27am On Jun 26, 2020
pansophist:
This is a slave contract disguised as an employment contract. Do not accept this. Too many red flags. Six months of probation (without explicitly stating if it is a paid probation), two months resignation (instead of one month). theft warning (implying the projection of immorality of employees), and the overall decorum of the spirit the letter was written with. You have to be really desperate, without options, and did far worse job to accept this one.

I have not accept the offer dear, I am on the opinion of turning it down that is why I asked for advice.
Move on.
Re: Is This An Offer Letter Or A Threat by ccffwx: 10:27am On Jun 26, 2020
Which body regulates private firms in Nigeria?
Re: Is This An Offer Letter Or A Threat by TheFacelessMan: 10:28am On Jun 26, 2020
cool

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Afribank: The Big, Liquid, And Highest Paying Bank In Nigeria / I Need A Job-search Buddy In Ibadan / Urgent Vacancies For Teaching Job

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.