Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,484 members, 7,830,443 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:19 PM

Reps Panel Tackles DSTV Over High Tariff, Demands ‘pay-as-you-go’ Subscription - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Reps Panel Tackles DSTV Over High Tariff, Demands ‘pay-as-you-go’ Subscription (286 Views)

NANS Gives Multi-choice Company Seven Days To Begin Pay-as-you-view Billing Or.. / Reps Approve Pay-as-you-go, Price Reduction For DSTV, Others / Nigerians Groan, Protest DSTV/GOTV Tariff Increase (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reps Panel Tackles DSTV Over High Tariff, Demands ‘pay-as-you-go’ Subscription by Getsaved(m): 12:49pm On Jun 26, 2020
house of representatives committee has insisted that cable and satellite television service providers in the country must introduce a pay-as-you-go subscription plan for customers.

The house ad hoc committee, which is investigating service providers over their high tariffs, said the pay-per-view plan is to address the yearnings of Nigerians.

The house had in March resolved to investigate complaints about high tariffs and monopolised bouquets on the cable subscription service.

The green chamber is specifically probing the Digital Satellite Television (DSTV), a South Africa-based company owned by MultiChoice, for high tariffs and restricting Nigerian customers to prepaid plans.

At the committee hearing on Thursday, Unyime Idem, the committee chairman, said excuses on why DSTV and other service providers have not introduced the PAYG plan are not tenable.

“We have already taken a decision that pay-as-you-go is not going back,” he said.

“We only called you to rub minds with you so that you can tell us what it takes; Nigerians have spoken to us and the challenge they threw at us is, no matter what it takes, that they need pay-as-you-go.

“So I want you to have it at the back of your mind that it is pay-as-you-go. That is the duty we owe the people that we are representing, and we are not going back.”

Armstrong Idachaba, acting director-general of the National Broadcasting Commission (NBC), told the committee that the agency has on many occasions compared the tariffs in Nigeria with those of other African countries and found out that Nigeria’s rates are much lower in some cases.

Source : https://www.thecable.ng/?nonamp=1
Re: Reps Panel Tackles DSTV Over High Tariff, Demands ‘pay-as-you-go’ Subscription by Rayd502(m): 12:55pm On Jun 26, 2020
I hope this ain't lip service coz this agitation didn't start with this current assembly.
Re: Reps Panel Tackles DSTV Over High Tariff, Demands ‘pay-as-you-go’ Subscription by guass(m): 12:55pm On Jun 26, 2020
They can bark
Re: Reps Panel Tackles DSTV Over High Tariff, Demands ‘pay-as-you-go’ Subscription by Getsaved(m): 1:24pm On Jun 26, 2020
Rayd502:

I hope this ain't lip service coz this agitation didn't start with this current assembly.

They have barked for too long, It is time to act. I guess the economy is biting hard on everyone. And there is already the realistic prediction that Nigeria may fall again into her worst economic recession ever in history. It will not be feasible again with this DSTV pattern of subscription than to opt for PAYG. DSTV has its stake holders within the government and these guys will fight to keep the old status. It is left for our rep to keep a thick skin and stand for her people they represent. But I am sure, at the end , one of the Satelite tv will start PAYG. Because the hash economy will sponteneously push it. And the first one to do it will gain a market edge which may force DSTV to humble themselve to do PAYG.-
This is my submission.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Voice Over Artist For Your Job / SHARP Aquos 52" LCD Tv For Sale. / Bbnaija: How Benue Welcomed Kiddwaya Home

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.