Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,208 members, 7,829,323 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 02:24 AM

Shipping From Abroad: Should I Take Legal Action Against My Brother And Dealer? - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Shipping From Abroad: Should I Take Legal Action Against My Brother And Dealer? (562 Views)

Container Shipping from Different Locations in the US / What You Should Know About Customized Plate, spy number plate and dealer number / Car Towing And Shipping From Auto Auctions In US To Lagos Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Shipping From Abroad: Should I Take Legal Action Against My Brother And Dealer? by Inricash(m): 4:49am On Jun 27, 2020
Good morning,

I wish to share my story here for good advise.

I ordered a Camry sport car from Canada by October ending of 2019, through my brother and his friend who is based in Canada. I paid completely for it and was promised I would get it anything by December ending.

By December, I was told his container is yet to be filled up due to slow business by year end.

By January he promised me that I would get my car maximum March ending this year. The period was far for me but I had no option than to wait

By March ending, I was told COVID-19 lockdown didn't allow the shipment to move

By May ending I was told that the shipment have moved, but when I asked for the bill of laden I was told it was not yet available. Today makes it exactly a month after he claimed the shipment left Toronto but he is still saying the bill of laden is not ready.

This brings me to my questions;

1) Should I Sue him considering my brother is a middle man here or I should make my brother Sue him?. Problem here, my brother is unwilling to take legal action just yet.

2) does it take this long for someone to get their bill of laden ?

3) I checked online and I was told that the duration of shipment from Canada takes approximately 3 weeks after it sets sail. Is this true? and if it is not when should I expect it?

4) how long can I wait more?

This have cost me alot financially and this is draining me emotionally now. I don't know what to do and your advice will go a long way to help. Thanks you.
Re: Shipping From Abroad: Should I Take Legal Action Against My Brother And Dealer? by CJIDEX(m): 5:28am On Jun 27, 2020
Sue the bastard
Re: Shipping From Abroad: Should I Take Legal Action Against My Brother And Dealer? by Realist5: 5:37am On Jun 27, 2020
Sue
Re: Shipping From Abroad: Should I Take Legal Action Against My Brother And Dealer? by noble71(m): 5:54am On Jun 27, 2020
Inricash:
Good morning,

I ordered a Camry sport car from Canada by October ending of 2019, through my brother and his friend who is based in Canada. I paid completely for it and was promised I would get it anything by December ending.

By December, I was told his container is yet to be filled up due to slow business by year end.

By January he promised me that I would get my car maximum March ending this year. The period was far for me but I had no option than to wait

By May ending I was told that the shipment have moved, but when I asked for the bill of laden I was told it was not yet available. Today makes it exactly a month after he claimed the shipment left Toronto but he is still saying the bill of laden is not ready.

1) Should I Sue him considering my brother is a middle man here or I should make my brother Sue him?. Problem here, my brother is unwilling to take legal action just yet.

3) I checked online and I was told that the duration of shipment from Canada takes approximately 3 weeks after it sets sail. Is this true? and if it is not when should I expect it?

This have cost me alot financially and this is draining me emotionally now. I don't know what to do and your advice will go a long way to help. Thanks you.
To be honest with you, your money don enter voice mail. Since October last, next thing he will say is that the Ship capsized in the high sea. Taking legal steps is not an easy one in Nigeria because before you will recover your money you would have spent 60% of the money.
For me I will go through EFCC.
Re: Shipping From Abroad: Should I Take Legal Action Against My Brother And Dealer? by jakD: 6:06am On Jun 27, 2020
noble71:

To be honest with you, your money don enter voice mail. Since October last, next thing he will say is that the Ship capsized in the high sea. Taking legal steps is not an easy one in Nigeria because before you will recover your money you would have spent 60% of the money.

Must you quote him before replying to it?
Re: Shipping From Abroad: Should I Take Legal Action Against My Brother And Dealer? by jakD: 6:09am On Jun 27, 2020
Firstly, did you ask to even see pictures of the Car?
Secondly, confirm from your brother why he's been reluctant in being zealous with it.
Thirdly, after being certain that your brother has no hidden motive with him, then you can arrange legally for him.

But what I don't understand is how you can possibly sue him there.
Re: Shipping From Abroad: Should I Take Legal Action Against My Brother And Dealer? by DelTel(m): 6:45am On Jun 27, 2020
Sorry about the challenge.

I want to believe you know your brother and the kind of person he is (either gentle, lackadaisical, hands-on or aloof) so you can deduce the next step, especially because it will be difficult for you to take any action against the dealer-friend from Nigeria.

Also, you can inform your other siblings or family to talk to your brother so as to get concise clarification from him since he is also in Canada and should naturally handle the situation.

Patience is a virtue; you have been extremely patient, a little more for (3wks max) won't be too much.

All is well that ends well (hopefully the vehicle will be worth the wait).

1 Like

Re: Shipping From Abroad: Should I Take Legal Action Against My Brother And Dealer? by noble71(m): 6:47am On Jun 27, 2020
jakD:

Must you quote him before replying to it?
Must you quote me before replying to me?

2 Likes

Re: Shipping From Abroad: Should I Take Legal Action Against My Brother And Dealer? by Inricash(m): 7:00am On Jun 27, 2020
noble71:

Please what are the processes like with EFCC
Re: Shipping From Abroad: Should I Take Legal Action Against My Brother And Dealer? by peeps4u: 8:10am On Jun 27, 2020
Inricash:
Good morning,

You're being played. Go to amdman's thread and check, even during lockdown, he was shipping cars from same Canada, lockdown only slowed down clearing and other processes.

3 Likes

Re: Shipping From Abroad: Should I Take Legal Action Against My Brother And Dealer? by noble71(m): 9:30am On Jun 27, 2020
Inricash:

Please what are the processes like with EFCC
You will have to visit one of their offices.

1 Like

Re: Shipping From Abroad: Should I Take Legal Action Against My Brother And Dealer? by matrixmuzi: 9:35am On Jun 27, 2020
Why can't people just buy motor in Nigeria. Why go through all this bullshit of importing just a car
I am tired of this mentality . I have lived abroad and this does not make any sense to me.

2 Likes

Re: Shipping From Abroad: Should I Take Legal Action Against My Brother And Dealer? by Inricash(m): 8:22am On Jun 28, 2020
Update: after much pressure, he has agreed to sign a legal document to either refund my money in full in a months time or deliver my car.

Thanks for all the advise here, will keep everyone posted

(1) (Reply)

Toks 2015 Toyota Tacoma / »»» Sold!! Neat Sienna XLE 05 @ N1.5M Non Negotiable ««« / Reg. Corolla 2006 For Sale @ 1.250m sold. Sold. Sold.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.