Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,818 members, 7,810,139 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:33 PM

These Custom & Tradition In Igboland Should Be Abolished. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / These Custom & Tradition In Igboland Should Be Abolished. (494 Views)

Idoma Traditional Bride Price Is ₦50,000, Costly Burial Rites Abolished / Igwe Kenneth Orizu: Why I Abolished Osu Caste System / Osu Caste System Abolished In Irete, Owerri West LGA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

These Custom & Tradition In Igboland Should Be Abolished. by iykbethany(m): 4:03pm On Jun 27, 2020
These Custom & Tradition in Igboland should be abolished. Osu, chest beating, bride price and worshipping of money.

1. Osu caste system should be abolished. I'm aware there's caste system in many countries around the world but we can't claim to be Christians and yet we hate and discriminate against people who did not offend us. I was told they were idol worshippers but from what I know all our fore fathers worshipped idols before the whites introduced christianity to us. Till date I don't understand what crime the OSU committed that will warrant us to discriminate against them from generation to generation yet we are Christians and we go to church every Sunday. Hypocrisy at it's best.

It's funny how we are shouting antichrist and Black lives matter but we do worse things against our brothers.

I've written several articles about this Osu caste system and I'm not gonna stop.

2. This senseless chest beating must stop. We claim to be the wisest people in the world yet low IQ fake pastors are playing lido with your brain and make you see everyone as an enemy. We claim to be this and that yet few corrupt politicians are looting our commonwealth and we still praise and hail them. We are the dumbest fools on earth.

We claim we are Developers, na we develop Indonesia, Malaysia and na we own all expensive properties in Lagos, Ghana, Abuja etc yet no road to our villages. Why can't we channel same energy to develop our own cities and make it the best in the world? What's wrong with us as a people?

3. We worship money too much and it needs to stop. We don't value people with integrity. During Christmas period most of us will only visit rich and successful guys that came back with expensive cars and mansions. Nobody cares about the poor jobless youths or those ones struggling to make it. We can't encourage them but tomorrow when they are caught in robbery, kidnapping, Yahoo, prostitution etc we start criticising them but how many of us will criticize and do something? I don't support crime of any type but if we start supporting each other crime will reduce drastically.

4. They need to reduce bride price in Igboland. For me 50k Naira should he enough for bride price. There's one babe that I've been eyejng since 3 years now, but in her village bride price is more than 400k, if they can reduce it to 50k I will marry her this December coz I've saved 30k, I'm sure I will save the remaining 20k before December.

Culled from IykBethany Blog: https://iykbethanygistville.com/2020/07/03/these-custom-tradition-in-igboland-should-be-abolished
Re: These Custom & Tradition In Igboland Should Be Abolished. by ModestGal(f): 4:05pm On Jun 27, 2020
iykbethany:
These Custom & Tradition in Igboland should be abolished. Osu, chest beating, bride price and worshipping of money.

1. Osu caste system should be abolished. I'm aware there's caste system in many countries around the world but we can't claim to be Christians and yet we hate and discriminate against people who did not offend us. I was told they were idol worshippers but from what I know all our fore fathers worshipped idols before the whites introduced christianity to us. Till date I don't understand what crime the OSU committed that will warrant us to discriminate against them from generation to generation yet we are Christians and we go to church every Sunday. Hypocrisy at it's best.

It's funny how we are shouting antichrist and Black lives matter but we do worse things against our brothers.

I've written several articles about this Osu caste system and I'm not gonna stop.

2. This senseless chest beating must stop. We claim to be the wisest people in the world yet low IQ fake pastors are playing lido with your brain and make you see everyone as an enemy. We claim to be this and that yet few corrupt politicians are looting our commonwealth and we still praise and hail them. We are the dumbest fools on earth.

We claim we are Developers, na we develop Indonesia, Malaysia and na we own all expensive properties in Lagos, Ghana, Abuja etc yet no road to our villages. Why can't we channel same energy to develop our own cities and make it the best in the world? What's wrong with us as a people?

3. We worship money too much and it needs to stop. We don't value people with integrity. During Christmas period most of us will only visit rich and successful guys that came back with expensive cars and mansions. Nobody cares about the poor jobless youths or those ones struggling to make it. We can't encourage them but tomorrow when they are caught in robbery, kidnapping, Yahoo, prostitution etc we start criticising them but how many of us will criticize and do something? I don't support crime of any type but if we start supporting each other crime will reduce drastically.

4. They need to reduce bride price in Igboland. For me 50k Naira should he enough for bride price. There's one babe that I've been eyejng since 3 years now, but in her village bride price is more than 400k, if they can reduce it to 50k I will marry her this December coz I've saved 30k, I'm sure I will save the remaining 20k before December.
Op, I love you, can we be friends?

1 Like

Re: These Custom & Tradition In Igboland Should Be Abolished. by FreakDesign: 4:07pm On Jun 27, 2020
You get sense! I go buy you 3 bottles of beers grin
Re: These Custom & Tradition In Igboland Should Be Abolished. by ModestGal(f): 4:08pm On Jun 27, 2020
I love people that question their customs and traditions, not fools beating their chest up and down on traditions and cultures that have made them remain backward and at the lowest pyramid of humans. We need more sensible in Africa if we really want to grow.

No one is saying culture is bad, African culture is sweet, but the culture of oppression, discrimination, racism should be thrown off.

Nigerians are not just tribalist but proud ones and would boast of how racists they are in public.

And the funniest is each tribe consider themselves to be the best tribe and look down on other tribes (isn't that stupid?)
We need a society where tribalist would be shameful, in America where we have racist, most racists don't publicly come out to say they are one or hate on other race, but in Nigeria, its a thing of pride when someone confirms his hatred for another tribe.
Re: These Custom & Tradition In Igboland Should Be Abolished. by iykbethany(m): 4:20pm On Jun 27, 2020
ModestGal:

Op, I love you, can we be friends?
I love you too. Are you free this weekend? Let's get married immediately, I have black suit but no shoe. We fit manage my bathroom slippers abi?
Re: These Custom & Tradition In Igboland Should Be Abolished. by iykbethany(m): 4:25pm On Jun 27, 2020
ModestGal:
I love people that question their customs and traditions, not fools beating their chest up and down on traditions and cultures that have made them remain backward and at the lowest pyramid of humans. We need more sensible in Africa if we really want to grow.

No one is saying culture is bad, African culture is sweet, but the culture of oppression, discrimination, racism should be thrown off.

Nigerians are not just tribalist but proud ones and would boast of how racists they are in public.

And the funniest is each tribe consider themselves to be the best tribe and look down on other tribes (isn't that stupid?)
We need a society where tribalist would be shameful, in America where we have racist, most racists don't publicly come out to say they are one or hate on other race, but in Nigeria, its a thing of pride when someone confirms his hatred for another tribe.
Apt. To move forward as a people we must do away with tribalism and discrimination.
I'm a proud Igboman and love my culture but there are some things that needs to be trashed especially this osu caste system. Several people will invade my dm to tell me maybe I'm.osu that's why its paining me. Can you imagine. These are same people that defend fake pastors everyday, they speak in tongues, fast and pray yet they can't practice what they preach.
Re: These Custom & Tradition In Igboland Should Be Abolished. by iykbethany(m): 4:25pm On Jun 27, 2020
FreakDesign:
You get sense! I go buy you 3 bottles of beers grin
HAHAHA thanks jare. Happy weekend
Re: These Custom & Tradition In Igboland Should Be Abolished. by FreakDesign: 4:27pm On Jun 27, 2020
iykbethany:

HAHAHA thanks jare. Happy weekend
same here jare bro
Re: These Custom & Tradition In Igboland Should Be Abolished. by ModestGal(f): 5:42pm On Jun 27, 2020
iykbethany:
I love you too. Are you free this weekend? Let's get married immediately, I have black suit but no shoe. We fit manage my bathroom slippers abi?
We fit well, I have high heel shoe but no fanciful dress. How far with Wizkid? Do you like him? I'm thinking he would be the best bet for the day?
Re: These Custom & Tradition In Igboland Should Be Abolished. by RedboneSmith(m): 8:43pm On Jun 27, 2020
As far as legislation goes, Osu has been abolished, both by the Government and by the Nri who are viewed as custodians of traditional law and customs by a significant section of Igboland. That is as far as the formal system can go.

What is remaining is for people, individuals, to abandon their prejudices.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

14 Best Braids With Weaves Ideas For 2020 / Meet Most Famous Tribes In Africa / +1844_364-7788 How To Talk Live Person Hp Customer Service

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.