Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,313 members, 7,822,541 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:38 PM

Dubai Prison Conditions. - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Dubai Prison Conditions. (2125 Views)

Poor Living Conditions At A Nigerian Prison (Video, Photos) / Mothers, Your Daughters Are Exposed To Rapists Under Any Of These Conditions / Nigerian Businessman, Prince Obieze Nestor Dies In Dubai Prison After Being Arre (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dubai Prison Conditions. by Eteka1(m): 8:31pm On Jun 27, 2020
The following as a story by Iyad El Baghdadi, a former inmate at a Dubai Prison.

"I was imprisoned in Al-Sadr prison in the UAE before my forced expulsion from the country. You can read .

In brief, Al-Sadr prison was the most racist place I had ever experienced in my life up to that moment.

Now note that I was held in a general holding cell block before being transferred to another cell block used for deportations. Both of these blocks are considered “temporary detention” , and as far as I know, that’s how the authorities get away with the massive institutionalized abuse that happens there.

There was a kind of “nationality hierarchy” in the prison - Arabs such as myself got less cramped cells, often could cut in line, sometimes got to eat in our cells (rather than in the courtyard), and even got some goodies such as cigarettes or lighters or phone calls (I’m not a smoker myself, but my cellmates were).

More importantly however, Arabs rarely got insulted or slapped or punched or spit on - which is kinda standard practice for Asians, especially Bangladeshis and Pakistanis.

In an ethnically mixed country such as the UAE, a brown guy like me can be confused for a Pakistani. I remember once in jail I had to make a clinic visit (I had pretty bad asthma), and I didn’t follow the marching instructions right and had a growling prison guard charge at me to hit me. When he heard me say something like “excuse me” or “sorry” in Arabic he stopped in his tracks, smiled, and said “You’re Arab? Why didn’t you tell me you’re Arab?”

Basically had I not been Arab I’d have been fair game.

I said Arabs “rarely” got beaten up - but it does happen. An Egyptian man who occupied the cell next to me once insulted a guard, and was quickly taken outside to the courtyard, chained to a pole, and “disciplined” (beaten by several guards before being returned to his cell).

Bangladeshis seem to be at the bottom of the hierarchy - routinely punched, slapped, kicked, spat on, and held in very cramped cells. I counted 47 men cramped in a cell intended to hold 10 people (10 beds). There were probably more, since some of them were out of sight round the corner.

I heard the prison guards and policemen share the expression “al binghal bighal” (البنغال بغال) - translates to “Bengalis are mules” - among each other.

The sound of slaps - of a human hand slapping a human face - rang regularly in the prison halls, especially when prisoners were being “processed” (brought in, or switched between blocks). Prison guards and policemen seem to be instructed not to show any kind of sympathy to the prisoners. Noticing that I don’t look like I belonged there, they only inquired about my story in hushed whispers in the corners of halls.

The kind of food you eat is so terrible that I went from 40 waist to a 34 waist in two weeks. I had to literally hold my pants up with my hands a lot of the time (you’re not allowed belts). I remember an elder Arab man pointing to the food and asking a younger Arab man: “If you were a dog, would you eat this food?”

(Interestingly, that elder Arab man had lived his entire life in the country, and didn’t know why he was in jail. There were “higher instructions” to expel him but no court case against him. When I entered prison, he was past his first year in that situation.)

You are allowed to buy food (there’s this kinda “canteen” cart that comes twice a day when the prisoners are out in the courtyard), but the food is overpriced and of terrible quality. The same canteen sold very cheap cigarettes and very expensive pants (which I bought, but they were of such poor quality that they ripped on the first day then I tried to, um, walk in them).

Hygiene is pretty bad and everyone stinks. We had to chase rats out of our cells on a couple occasions. You can shower of course, but the water pressure is very low (it’s just a trickle), plus it’s scalding hot during the day and very cold during the night (so you gotta make do). Bathroom situation was… terrible, and you’re not allowed anything to… clean yourself with.

Yet the UAE government propaganda is so strong that it almost amounts to gaslighting. I remember an elderly Egyptian cellmate who, even after living in these conditions for a few days, remarked “How can this be? UAE prisons are like hotel rooms! They’re like 5 star hotels!” It was a pathetic sight to witness a man almost lose his mind, not able to square what he’s been told all his life vs the reality he’s living. The man collapsed a couple days later and had to be carried off to the prison’s clinic.

There’s a lot more I can say - after my release from prison I was summarily expelled from my country, had nowhere to go and was stranded at an airport for a month. I ended up documenting my observations in a journal that ran 200+ pages. But suffice it to say that prison in the UAE was the most overtly and unapologetically racist place I had ever seen up to that point. Especially if you’re not an Arab.

Source; https://www.quora.com/What-is-prison-like-in-the-United-Arab-Emirates

Re: Dubai Prison Conditions. by Akhigbeblog(m): 8:34pm On Jun 27, 2020
Nawa
Re: Dubai Prison Conditions. by Nobody: 8:36pm On Jun 27, 2020
hush puppi dey Yankee ..free visa .. FBI things ... see big boi levels all round

1 Like

Re: Dubai Prison Conditions. by timwudz(m): 8:37pm On Jun 27, 2020
Ok
Re: Dubai Prison Conditions. by sLentlover7778(m): 8:39pm On Jun 27, 2020
Nothing pass freedom..

No matter how beautiful the prison might looks like. You don't wanna go down there..

Unfortunately majority of people's in prison are innocent..

Ki ori ma takun wa ooo. Ase....

grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Dubai Prison Conditions. by seunlayi(m): 8:52pm On Jun 27, 2020
Still better than naija
Re: Dubai Prison Conditions. by ifytrik(m): 9:17pm On Jun 27, 2020
Pls help us keep hushpuppy there let them treat him like a pupy

1 Like

Re: Dubai Prison Conditions. by excessmon(m): 9:47pm On Jun 27, 2020
Y do u have a prisoner mindset.... not all of us grew up in ghetto
BakedCake:
hush puppi dey Yankee ..free visa .. FBI things ... see big boi levels all round

1 Like

Re: Dubai Prison Conditions. by punisha: 7:21am On Jun 28, 2020
BakedCake:

Sho wa okay?
Re: Dubai Prison Conditions. by Nobody: 7:26am On Jun 28, 2020
But
Re: Dubai Prison Conditions. by sirjoggy(m): 7:57am On Jun 28, 2020
Still far better than Nigeria prison
Re: Dubai Prison Conditions. by Ijawwomaninoyo: 8:01am On Jun 28, 2020
Some zombies will still come here and say they prefer to be there than being in Nigeria. They are free to go there and commit any crime to get free Visa in there.
Poverty has re christened some people that they can't even think straight again.
Poverty and Ignorance are compatible bed mates!
Re: Dubai Prison Conditions. by Nobody: 5:28pm On Jun 28, 2020
punisha:

Sho wa okay?
that's what your senior sister asked me the last time I bent her over in the back seat of a taxi ... she was fun to be with ..

mo wa OK aburo!
Re: Dubai Prison Conditions. by Nobody: 5:31pm On Jun 28, 2020
excessmon:
Y do u have a prisoner mindset.... not all of us grew up in ghetto
ghetto dey form push... nah your type dey pay rent for kirikiri laslas village drunkard ! dey form posh ... haha well its allowed ..
Re: Dubai Prison Conditions. by Jabioro: 6:06pm On Jun 28, 2020
When your freedom is seized,then you will know the difference between ghetto and being a good citizen.Nigeria prison got more than that
Re: Dubai Prison Conditions. by Olabode971(f): 6:36pm On Jun 28, 2020
let Aja4 do his Time there or in Alcatraz prison..

(1) (Reply)

A Man Came To House Of This Lady For Evangelism And Letting Him In, This Was Wha / HELP!!! Summons At A Shrine In Abia State. / Help,opay Are Frustrating My Life.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.