Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,590 members, 7,827,217 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 08:59 AM

The World About Us 1983 Vs 2020 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The World About Us 1983 Vs 2020 (396 Views)

Lauretta Onochie: "CNN Lied To The World About Nigeria" / 2016 Vs 2020: Data Shows Oshiomhole Was Inconsequential In Edo Gov Elections / Governor Akeredolu And Ayodele Adigun In 1976 Vs 2020 (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The World About Us 1983 Vs 2020 by Lyoncrescent: 8:34am On Jun 29, 2020
Good Morning, I found this interesting documentary done by Onyeka Onwenu for the BBC on Nigeria in 1983 and released in 1984 I think . It's very interesting that some things that happened 37 years ago are still going on now. It is also sad that you can just remove the 1983 date and replace with 2020. Some of the highlights are listed below :

1. Chinua Achebe discussing federal character and compromise candidate

2. Companies complaining of high over head costs due to them supplying their own electricity and water among other things

3. Significant corruption in Government with the Nigeria airways and customs highlighted. Individual corruption in ministries was also highlighted.

4. How Lagos is a frustrating city and full of traffic

5. Even the police wasn't left out

6. Niger Delta agitation

Please watch and let leave our comments. If after 37 years and nothing has gotten better really and it poses the question is there hope for Nigeria ? Chinua Achebe in the documentary said he had hope then but should we also be positive.

Finally, it is worthy of note that when the documentary was made in 1983 , Shagari was in power and I think during the editing phase President Buhari had toppled the Shagari government and came into power because it was mentioned in the documentary. Mynd44,OAM4J

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdWXUp6Q5kg

1 Like

Re: The World About Us 1983 Vs 2020 by lomprico(m): 9:05am On Jun 29, 2020
see d wah Buhari is sounding articulate n sharp there.

na jibrin dey aso rock true true
Re: The World About Us 1983 Vs 2020 by cheleku(m): 5:28pm On Jul 12, 2021
I cried watching this well put together documentary. The sad thing is that we have deteriorated even further, more ethnically fragmented and poorer.
I think going our separate ways may be the only solution. Nigeria isn't working, wasn't even set up to ever work.
I have wonderful friends from the different ethnicities having spent my life moving about the country, yet I feel to make any meaningful progress we may have fo fragment the nation into more homogeneous sections.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Kanu Agabi (SAN), to represent Ibrahim Magu against allegations / BREAKING: Mohammed Umar Named Acting EFCC Chairman / Buhari Loves Igbos, The Problem Is Igbo Elders- Ohanaeze Youths

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.