Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,587 members, 7,823,547 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:33 AM

TCH: Nigeria's Power Grid Has Collapsed 108 Times Since Privatisation - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / TCH: Nigeria's Power Grid Has Collapsed 108 Times Since Privatisation (9904 Views)

Tinubu’s Move To End Wike, Fubara Rift Has Collapsed – APC / Nation Grid Has Collapsed Again / The National Electricity Grid Has Experienced A System Collapse. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: TCH: Nigeria's Power Grid Has Collapsed 108 Times Since Privatisation by Nobody: 9:06am On Jun 30, 2020
Ijaya123:

Before it was sold by GEJ government to friends and croonies.

Gencos and transmission companies (TCN) are still being managed by government. are anyway better than the Discos?
Re: TCH: Nigeria's Power Grid Has Collapsed 108 Times Since Privatisation by Minjim: 9:07am On Jun 30, 2020
okosodo:
This is the real meaning of incompetence. They refused foreign investors from gaining access and refused to move foward afterwards. The fool's corruption fighter refused to terminate the dubious contract

The worst is that to collect it from them now the FG will have to pay them an amount we can't afford.

Those that sold this electricity to Disco made sure it's a win-win for the Discos and a lose-lose for Nigeria
Re: TCH: Nigeria's Power Grid Has Collapsed 108 Times Since Privatisation by Wettoid123: 9:09am On Jun 30, 2020
Unfinished problem!
Re: TCH: Nigeria's Power Grid Has Collapsed 108 Times Since Privatisation by Ijaya123: 9:12am On Jun 30, 2020
Lostz:

Gencos and transmission companies (TCN) are still being managed by government. are anyway better than the Discos?

Yes. Discos are the biggest fraud in the whole arrangement. Go study how they operate and you will see the scam they really are.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: TCH: Nigeria's Power Grid Has Collapsed 108 Times Since Privatisation by Minjim: 9:14am On Jun 30, 2020
Lostz:

Electricity transmission has been unbundled and incorporated into a company. It's no longer managed by govt.

https://www.tcn.org.ng/

Re: TCH: Nigeria's Power Grid Has Collapsed 108 Times Since Privatisation by Nobody: 9:18am On Jun 30, 2020
Ijaya123:

Yes. Discos are the biggest fraud in the whole arrangement. Go study how they operate and you will see the scam they really are.

how much electricity are the Gencos generating for 200m people and how much electricity is TCN transmitting to the Discos?

your government will always blame Discos since it is private, forgetting that the electricity they are transmitting to them is not even enough to power one state 24/7.

we continue to deny where the problem is coming from. if we continue like this, it will take Nigeria more than 100yrs to solve the electricity issue
Re: TCH: Nigeria's Power Grid Has Collapsed 108 Times Since Privatisation by Nobody: 9:22am On Jun 30, 2020
Minjim:

Electricity transmission has been unbundled and incorporated into a company. It's no longer managed by govt.

https://www.tcn.org.ng/

a company that is still manage by federal government, under the office of power minister?

management team of TCN are appointed by the presidency
Re: TCH: Nigeria's Power Grid Has Collapsed 108 Times Since Privatisation by Ijaya123: 9:27am On Jun 30, 2020
Lostz:

how much electricity are the Gencos generating for 200m people and how much electricity is TCN transmitting to the Discos?

your government will always blame Discos since it is private, forgetting that the electricity they are transmitting to them is not even enough to power one state 24/7.

we continue to deny where the problem is coming from. if we continue like this, it will take Nigeria more than 100yrs to solve the electricity issue

Now ask yourself how much are the Discos collecting from the Gencos and TCN and you will see them as the fraud that they are. They prefer to give you crazy estimated billings for the light they are not giving you.
Re: TCH: Nigeria's Power Grid Has Collapsed 108 Times Since Privatisation by Nobody: 9:34am On Jun 30, 2020
Ijaya123:

Now ask yourself how much are the Discos collecting from the Gencos and TCN and see them as the fraud that they are. They prefer to give you crazy estimated billings for the light they are not giving you.

they give you estimated billing because:

1. they can't run at lost. the electricity coming from TCN is not enough for them to distribute meters.

2. corruption ; there is a government agency that regulate activities of Discos but they are only after how much bribe they can milk from them.

3. most Nigerians don't pay bills.

the electricity coming from TCN to the Discos is not even enough to power Lagos 24/7
Re: TCH: Nigeria's Power Grid Has Collapsed 108 Times Since Privatisation by Ijaya123: 9:38am On Jun 30, 2020
Lostz:

they give you estimated billing because:

1. they can't run at lost. the electricity coming from TCN is not enough for them to distribute meters.

2. corruption ; there is a government agency that regulate activities of Discos but they are only after how much bribe they can milk from them.

3. most Nigerians don't pay bills.

the electricity coming from TCN to the Discos is not even enough to power Lagos 24/7

Absolute falsehood is what you put up there. Anyway you're at liberty to continue living in denial to suit your narratives.

Have a nice day.
Re: TCH: Nigeria's Power Grid Has Collapsed 108 Times Since Privatisation by professorPABX: 9:41am On Jun 30, 2020
Panasonic PABX Comprehensive Repairs & Service Centre. For solutions, board level repairs & integration.

Repair your damaged or malfunctioning PABX during this Raining Season.

Contact Professor PABX on 08033737534, 07082375805
Re: TCH: Nigeria's Power Grid Has Collapsed 108 Times Since Privatisation by Nobody: 9:45am On Jun 30, 2020
Ijaya123:

Absolute falsehood is what you put up there. Anyway you're at liberty to continue living in denial to suit your narratives.

Have a nice day.

I was once an intern with a Disco company before they became private.

they were not better off when under government control. the problems were there when it was under government control
Re: TCH: Nigeria's Power Grid Has Collapsed 108 Times Since Privatisation by amosedwin1: 10:18am On Jun 30, 2020
Systemic power outage. Which way Nigeria
Re: TCH: Nigeria's Power Grid Has Collapsed 108 Times Since Privatisation by sulaak(m): 10:18am On Jun 30, 2020
HappyCanadian:

What are u saying? how many people get money to buy Gen, maintain it and continuously fuel it and do you know how much it costs to mount solar that can power several household appliance, how many people can afford that?.. this is not rocket science? It is the responsibility of the government to provide steady power supply and that is where we should start from.

Focus electricity on the people and businesses that can afford to pay for electricity, let the businesses create jobs and employ millions of Nigeria that cannot afford electricity. Nigeria poor need jobs first.

After 60 years of self-rule has it not dawn on you that Nigeria government can never fix the power grid even if they tried. NEPA has always been a problem even in the 1970s when Nigeria population was less than 60 million.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: TCH: Nigeria's Power Grid Has Collapsed 108 Times Since Privatisation by MrNipplesLover(m): 11:07am On Jun 30, 2020
HappyCanadian:

I'm telling you, very very shameful.. we are not thinking in Nigeria at all cause if we are we would have past this stage.

I swear, baba.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: TCH: Nigeria's Power Grid Has Collapsed 108 Times Since Privatisation by sulaak(m): 11:25am On Jun 30, 2020
Ijaya123:

Now ask yourself how much are the Discos collecting from the Gencos and TCN and you will see them as the fraud that they are. They prefer to give you crazy estimated billings for the light they are not giving you.

The DISCO is 40% owned by the government. The energy privatisation was a joke. Decentralised energy generation and distribution to the regions and let them engage private investors directly.
Re: TCH: Nigeria's Power Grid Has Collapsed 108 Times Since Privatisation by Duru009(m): 12:22pm On Jun 30, 2020
This government has totally FAILED !!

You can't even lay hold of one particular thing this govt has done in 5 yrs !

Absolutely nothing !
Re: TCH: Nigeria's Power Grid Has Collapsed 108 Times Since Privatisation by Ekg911(m): 12:29pm On Jun 30, 2020
Brandstudio01:
Not sure I was expecting anything new
see something oooh 108 times then why una still keep am for private hand??!
Re: TCH: Nigeria's Power Grid Has Collapsed 108 Times Since Privatisation by gideonvalor98(m): 12:41pm On Jun 30, 2020
okosodo:
This is the real meaning of incompetence. They refused foreign investors from gaining access and refused to move foward afterwards. The fool's corruption fighter refused to terminate the dubious contract

How can you terminate a contract when it is has yet expired or either of the party is not cooperating to mutually do that. The only option is to see out the duration of the contract and then terminate it. That's why the federal government is in talk with power giant-siemens from Germany. Think before you respond to issues not just from your frustrated situation.
Re: TCH: Nigeria's Power Grid Has Collapsed 108 Times Since Privatisation by cronsberg: 1:21pm On Jun 30, 2020
I really pity anyone who still doesn't realize how useless this country really is. because if you realize it is indeed useless, then you would actually start planning on how to escape it. but if you don't realize it's uselessness, then you would think it's a great country and continue to live in it.

BTW, something has always been bugging me lately, do you see the picture of buhari in the first page? see how neat and great the environmental looks? why do leaders have to live in awesome looking palaces almost, while we the common people live in average houses? wasn't they elected to actually serve? how will they be able to serve us by living in such plush environments with every amenity functioning normally. you cumulatively elect somebody to serve you, yet you live far worse than him, does that even make sense at all? why shouldn't they live in common houses also if indeed they are there to serve us? why should they ride in expensive bullet proof cars, have multiple airplanes at their service, live in luxurious mansions, have hundreds of security personnel protecting them and their families etc ask yourself WHY? you put them there to serve, remember? or has the meaning of serve changed?
you the common folk are cheated way more than you think by these thiefs. they enjoy the best of what life has to offer, while you suffer the worst of what life has to offer. Yet you elected them there to actually SERVE you, not to enjoy life. I have no believe in this country's future whatsoever
Re: TCH: Nigeria's Power Grid Has Collapsed 108 Times Since Privatisation by IMAliyu(m): 2:15pm On Jun 30, 2020
How do you expect them to manage the grid properly when the government still control the there prices and only power distribution was privatised, not power generation.
Re: TCH: Nigeria's Power Grid Has Collapsed 108 Times Since Privatisation by Ezlynn: 4:02pm On Jun 30, 2020
Incompetence at its peak, I hope things get better with time.

Unlike out power grid which has made a reputation collapsing, I ve been utilising GTBank USSD code *737# for a while now, and it has never failed me, ever since the lock down was enforced, it has really helped me in; subscribing to my cable TV, pay my NEPA bills, I purchase both data and airtime directly from my account, recently I even noticed I can make cardless withdrawals, apply for loans, confirm the status of my cheque book, and lots more.

All of this and more at my convenience all I ve to do is dial *737# on my smartphone.
Re: TCH: Nigeria's Power Grid Has Collapsed 108 Times Since Privatisation by Sabooalabi: 1:21am On Jul 01, 2020
The problems of failure power supply system in the country ( Nigeria ) has being existence before the existence of private properties.
Going back to history.
Back in 1955,before Independence the British Colonialists started the preparation for the construction of Kanji Hydro Power Station for 12 units at 100 MW per unit, which was to be 1200 MW at the end of competition. By Independent n N N ot much efforts was undertaking to continue with the project. Then came
the the Gowon 1967 military administration and by March 1969 Gowon claimed to commission the Kanji Hydro of just only 4 units at 80 MW per unit which is just 320 MW. and by 1975 one of the 4 units has broken down. And instead of improvement on power supply system remember Gowon statement : "Money is not our problems but how to spend it"
Then came Babangida Military era: when he refused tob do any thing to do any thing to power supply systems and put NEPA to grade C in the same grade with the N B C ( Nigerian Broadcasting Corporations) because like N B C, N E P A also earn money from their productions. Recall those public establishment put on grade A and B are the N N P C , N P A ( Nigeria Ports Authority) and the C B N (Central Bank of Nigeria ) .Remembered the issuing of importation and exportation forms by the N P A. for the importation of Tokunboh this and that and exportation of fake products. As for N E PA remember the case of 11 Jailed N E P A Union who were initially charged for treason for going on strike by Babangida. 1992/93. Also remember ”Not be light be this? " you are all thieves by Abacha. when the staff union went to Aso rock to complain of low power generations in the system but he Abacha, saw uninterrupted light in Aso rock. Also remember the N16 billion Naira Obasanjo power supply projects with little or no results. See Nigerian News watch magazine. Yet there are more issues that brought about the lack of power supply in the country. What about super corruption systems by the operational staffs themselves.
We should ask, what are thestffutions :
1. The country's power supply systems should go back to the old N E P A systems as it was from 1973. when Kainji Dam was joined with the old E C N . when there was no difference in Power generations, Transmission and Distribution maintenance systems.
But most importantly the new management system should be purely P P P ( Public Private Practice )as we have seen how Public practice has led to looting system practices and so called Private ownership system has led to complete failure. So with P P P we will have a good power systems.
2. A good training and maintenance staff systems should be well established. It is a big shame to the power system that all power supply installations are foreign contract established. Whereas in Engineering what you can successfully maintain you can as well build but in our own systems the reverse is the case. Every issue is always on foreign contracts even including a common 33/11 kV systems not to talk of 132 kV or 330 kV or even Power generation supply systems and at the end of all the foreign contracts build it is now staff maintenance and in Engineering what you can successfully maintain you can successfully build. So for us to be successful in our power systems now it over to the government and the C O R E N ( Council of Registered Engineering in Nigeria ) to look into how we can go.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Niger Abduction: 11 Students Released By Gunmen As Gov. Bello Condemns Attack / Some Quotes On Corruption, Governance, Leadership, Poverty And Hunger. / Court Dismisses Omisore’s Bail Application

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.