Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,848 members, 7,810,265 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:39 AM

Nairaland Writers Deserve And Demand Some Respect - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Nairaland Writers Deserve And Demand Some Respect (275 Views)

The Greed Of Nairaland Writers! / Nairaland Writers, How Are You Mentally? / Winners Of 2019 Nairaland Writers Award (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nairaland Writers Deserve And Demand Some Respect by unclebuddy(m): 7:16am On Jun 30, 2020
It is always a great pleasure, to see the profession of writing growing by the minute especially in Nigeria where for a while the habit of literature and building good writers was taking a deep decline.

Nigeria is lucky to have some of the greatest and most creative writers globally. However, the way writers are treated is still pretty unfair, unprofessional and unethical.

I hope I have the backing of my fellow writers on Nairaland when I say that there should be a better way of relating with writers on the following:

1. Feedback:

A lot folks come on the forum to advertise for writers and then some amazing writers begin to pitch for the available role. Then the client goes completely silent. Even if you are not interested in choosing these writers a warm feedback helps them understand.

2. Reach channel:

You see clients coming on Nairaland to advertise for writers but all they do is ask for you to reply the chat. They ignore putting an email or a number for interested writers to reach them.

3. Arrogance:

Now this is very unfair. The way clients talk to writers can be very uncalled for. Please client the profession is noble, let us treat it as such.

4. Unclear brief:

A client sends you a topic to write on, with no clarity of the approach to use, the audience they are speaking to, the font and expected level of uniqueness. Then when you submit it, they tell this is not what I expected and it is not 100% unique. Please be clear with your brief. We know most of you get the jobs from foreign clients but even foreigners likes setting clear objectives. If they dont, please ask them for clarity. This saves a lot of time.

5. Unclear and Unreasonable Timelines:

I once got a brief from a client who asked me to write 11 topics with each topic being 30,000 words and expected me to submit them in 20 days. I knew it was a bit stressful but I hate to disappoint my clients. So I accepted the brief. But I also gave clear conditions to deliver the job on time. Then he became incommunicado.

I am sure there are more issues that writers see as unethical and unprofessional, please fellow writers drop your opinions below, so clients understand how to respect our noble hustle better.

I remain your best selling writer- Uncle Buddy (WhatsApp: +2347069305603)[i][/i]. I am at your service if you have a writing job for me. #Merci

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Writers Deserve And Demand Some Respect by falcon01: 7:31am On Jun 30, 2020
I didn't read this, but you are goddamn right
Re: Nairaland Writers Deserve And Demand Some Respect by babyfaceafrica: 8:20am On Jun 30, 2020
This is very true!!. Very funny people here. They will tell you to write a test sample and after submitting, they will be incommunicado. Very poor feedback!!
Re: Nairaland Writers Deserve And Demand Some Respect by meobizy(f): 8:22am On Jun 30, 2020
My wonder is, who reads all these long write-ups? If it is a blog entry or something not guaranteed to give me money I will pen it myself. If there is pay attached to it then I might outsource, aiming to reach the professional writer's skill level at the end of the day. All it takes is reading at least five and at most ten of another author's work to learn near-perfect imitation.

(1) (Reply)

I'm Africa / Quillbot (rewriter) Premium Offer / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.