Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,407 members, 7,954,618 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 01:41 AM

Abakaliki Youths: Emerging Boko Haram- BUSINESSDAY - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Abakaliki Youths: Emerging Boko Haram- BUSINESSDAY (1296 Views)

Petrol Subsidy Nears N1trn Monthly, Bigger Than When Tinubu Came - Businessday / For Nigeria’s Bankrupt States, It’s Business As Usual - Businessday / BusinessDay Apologises For Fake News Against Osinbajo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Abakaliki Youths: Emerging Boko Haram- BUSINESSDAY by Beremi(f): 2:47pm On Jun 30, 2020
From Lagos to Enugu, Abuja to Port Harcourt and in many other Nigerian cities, the story is the same! Almost all the street traders or hawkers are from Ebonyi state! It is a story of failure! Failure of governance and leadership amidst abundant human and natural resources of Ebonyi state, the Salt of the Nation. It is a sad and lamentable situation where basic opportunities are not provided and utilised to effectively harness the immense and invaluable resources of Ebonyi State especially the youths. With several interviews I have had with the Ebonyi hawkers and petty traders in different Nigerian cities and towns, the lamentations and cries for help are similar. They crave for direction, opportunities and freedoms through the provision of effective and functioning educational system! As such direction, opportunities and freedoms are presently not provided or inadequate, a sub-culture of frustration and violence is emerging which will do no one any good.

Like many states in Nigeria, the present approach to human capital/skills development of Ebonyi state can be described as a process of “accomplishment of natural growth” with little or no strategic plan, vision and guidance. It is similar to Jamaica’s then education system to which Professor William M. MacMillian described as ‘narrow and insecure’ in his work ‘Warning from the West Indies’. He warned that the education system in Jamaica was a major contributory factor to worsening inequality, poverty, unemployment and social divisions. He beckoned on the government to act urgently to avoid social crisis and violence. Remarkably as he warned, wide spread violence and social unrest ravaged the Caribbean with many killed and injured a year after his book was published.

To avoid a similar riot or the emergence of another Boko Haram of Ebonyi extraction, I deeply beckon and implore on Gov. Umahi to act now! What is needed in Ebonyi state is an education system that can be described and developed from the concept of concerted cultivation and development. This approach will give direction and focus, imbue confidence and trust, create a sense of ownership and belonging to Ebonyi children and youths. Failure to do this is an inevitable invitation and preparation for the exponential escalation of social crisis possibly similar and higher than Boko Haram.

Your Excellency, Gov. Umahi, I have heard different versions and factors that led to your emergence and victory as the Governor of Ebonyi State. Irrespective of which one is correct, I deeply pray and implore you to adopt the version which will translate and mean an equitable (with a pro-poor inclination) sharing of the dividends of democracy through a strategy of committed and effective good governance of Ebonyi state. This is what majority of Ebonyi citizens who are poor and marginalised want from you. I am fully aware that the task to which you have been overwhelmingly elected to perform is very tedious and challenging but very achievable if you truly belief and committed to serving humanity. Directly or indirectly allowing street trading to be the most prominent brand of Ebonyi youths is sad and a disservice to anything good and noble. Moreover, this negative brand will not change with either the wastefull allocation of brand new jeeps to Ebonyi traditional rulers or the building of a brand new governor’s lodge after spending over N250 million to renovate the existing lodge.

Your Excellency Gov. Umahi, your dear state, Ebonyi is very backward in every aspect of human development and this requires very urgent attention through effective and committed good governance. Of the five South East states, Ebonyi is the only state classified as educationally less developed. While Ebonyi is marginally represented in the public sector, it is almost absent in the private sector. In my close interaction with the Banking sector, I have never met or heard of an Assistant General Manager (AGM) from Ebonyi state. A check of board of directors of firms quoted in Nigeria Stock Exchange (NSE) seems to suggest that board membership might be a taboo for Ebonyians. I do not think that it is the case!

With the millions of Abakaliki youths hawking and roaming all major cities in Nigeria, it is clear that a critical and fulcrum factor absent in your governance agenda is Effective Human Capital/Skills Development (Education). While I appreciate that it might be included in the social services, it demands more and priority prominence given the lamentable level of human capital development of Ebonyi State. It is the fulcrum upon which any kind of development can be meaningful and sustainable but which is sadly attended with levity in Ebonyi state. For people to be employed, they have to be properly educated and skilled which will enhance the appreciation and better utilisation of the social services to be provided by your government. It will also support the development of the rural areas. Security will be improved with good governance and justice better understood and protected. In the absence of a properly educated and skilled Ebonyi state, your development agenda might be ineffective and unsustainable.

Creating a high level of human capital and skill development in Ebonyi state does not start and end with building new class rooms in different parts of the state or promotion of Ebonyi state university staff. Either is part of it but a very little or insignificant part of what is needed. It will require a detailed and comprehensive understanding of the kind of state, Ebonyi people want in 5, 10, 20, 50 and 100 years. This will help in understanding the kind of skills required in the short, medium and long term. Expectedly, this will require a robust involvement of all the relevant stakeholders to carry out a comprehensive re-examination and re-packaging of the curriculum and value system from nursery to university. It will also need effective training of competent teachers and then their continuous and rigorous supervision to ensure that they are meeting agreed expectations and targets. I profoundly implore you to allocate at least 30% of Ebonyi budget to the Education sector even though UNESCO recommends 26% for Nigeria. This is a better way to change the negative perception or brand of Ebonyi state.

To achieve the above will require excellent thinking and foresight that expectedly should come from a strategic think-tank and cabinet. I passionately implore you to deeply reflect on Ebonyi state level of underdevelopment (especially Human Capital/Skill Development) so that you can appreciate the enormity of the development and governance expectations they have of you. In Proverbs 29, verse 2, it is stated that “When just men are multiplied, the common people shall rejoice. When the impious take up leadership, the people shall mourn. And in verse 16, “When the impious are multiplied, crimes will be multiplied. But the just shall see their ruin”. I wish you the best and please be assured of my prayers!

https://businessday.ng/analysis/article/abakaliki-youths-emerging-boko-haram/

Re: Abakaliki Youths: Emerging Boko Haram- BUSINESSDAY by NwaNimo1(m): 2:48pm On Jun 30, 2020
Na today?
Re: Abakaliki Youths: Emerging Boko Haram- BUSINESSDAY by BeijinDossier: 2:56pm On Jun 30, 2020
Ebonyi people don suffer. Igbos hate them, other Nigerians hate them. Where do you guys want them to run to biko nu? cheesy

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Abakaliki Youths: Emerging Boko Haram- BUSINESSDAY by achierosion(m): 3:07pm On Jun 30, 2020
Kitikpa sewa gi Onu and may the hand u use to post this rubbish be twisted by leprosy.

6 Likes

Re: Abakaliki Youths: Emerging Boko Haram- BUSINESSDAY by akinegba1: 3:10pm On Jun 30, 2020
achierosion:
Ki

Instead of you to prove the OP wrong you are here cursing yourself.
Re: Abakaliki Youths: Emerging Boko Haram- BUSINESSDAY by Beremi(f): 3:59pm On Jun 30, 2020
Catherine1998, your attention is needed
Re: Abakaliki Youths: Emerging Boko Haram- BUSINESSDAY by Jlow2: 4:01pm On Jun 30, 2020
physical infrastructure without corresponding knowledge and human deployment is not development, people will not eat bridge and roads, I have said it before , gov dave umahi has susessfully fustrated out all viable businesses in ebonyi state, with outrageous tax and high handedness

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abakaliki Youths: Emerging Boko Haram- BUSINESSDAY by Ogbuu101: 4:08pm On Jun 30, 2020
Jlow2:
physical infrastructure without corresponding knowledge and human deployment is not development, people will not eat bridge and roads, I have said it before , gov dave umahi has susessfully fustrated out all viable businesses in ebonyi state, with outrageous tax and high handedness
One of the many lies and propaganda the oil soup ppl use to attempt to divide Igbos.
The people hawking agbo and all manner of herbal mixtures all over Nigeria including Ebonyi state,are they not all from the sophisticated region?
Ebonyi has consistently been among the first 10 in WAEC and NECO in recent years but some ppl still love to deceive themselves that Ebonyi is an educationally disadvantaged state.
Make una continue in una delusion.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abakaliki Youths: Emerging Boko Haram- BUSINESSDAY by Nobody: 4:09pm On Jun 30, 2020
Ebonyi is a great state with potential and far more richer than many western states.

If Ogun with all her IGR will still be looking for 250bn to borrow just to develop the already underdeveloped Abeokuta then Ebonyi is doing perfectly well in all ramifications..

I so submit..

5 Likes

Re: Abakaliki Youths: Emerging Boko Haram- BUSINESSDAY by LukasPodolski: 4:19pm On Jun 30, 2020
Hmmm.
Re: Abakaliki Youths: Emerging Boko Haram- BUSINESSDAY by LLobiorah: 4:47pm On Jun 30, 2020
2017 publication in 2020, Yet these hawkers have not turned to terrorists, Lolz. The government isn't relaxing in turning the fortunes of the state around.

@Op well done o cheesy

1 Like

Re: Abakaliki Youths: Emerging Boko Haram- BUSINESSDAY by Nobody: 4:51pm On Jun 30, 2020
I remember when akwa ibom people were treated as second class citizens in Port Harcourt those days ..but today they are proud

Eboyi people hawk yes but we should also tell the success stories of this people ...some of them went from selling gala to being multi millionaire

It's a gradual process but they are on the right track

5 Likes

Re: Abakaliki Youths: Emerging Boko Haram- BUSINESSDAY by IJOBA2: 4:51pm On Jun 30, 2020
BeijinDossier:
Ebonyi people don suffer. Igbos hate them, other Nigerians hate them. Where do you guys want them to go biko nu cheesy
WHAT IS WE YORUBA BUSINESS WITH EBONYI STATE

2 Likes

Re: Abakaliki Youths: Emerging Boko Haram- BUSINESSDAY by Justice35: 7:16pm On Jun 30, 2020
Any body insulting ndi ebonyi is insulting Igbo's in general and we must resist any insults coming from outsiders against ndi Igbo,the idiot that posted this should tell me how his state or region is better than that of ndi Igbo.....enough of the divide and conquer from those who has made them selves the enemies of ndi Igbo...the keep talking about how we are Hawking galas but forget to tell us how they are Hawking agbo in every creek and crannies of Nigeria.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abakaliki Youths: Emerging Boko Haram- BUSINESSDAY by landforeast(m): 7:25pm On Jun 30, 2020
Mentality plays a great role here
Re: Abakaliki Youths: Emerging Boko Haram- BUSINESSDAY by Biafrannuke: 8:25pm On Jun 30, 2020
propaganda article

1 Like

Re: Abakaliki Youths: Emerging Boko Haram- BUSINESSDAY by DiagnoPolitics: 8:38pm On Jun 30, 2020
BeijinDossier:
Ebonyi people don suffer. Igbos hate them, other Nigerians hate them. Where do you guys want them to go biko nu cheesy

Ewedu charlartan!
Re: Abakaliki Youths: Emerging Boko Haram- BUSINESSDAY by flyingpig: 8:42pm On Jun 30, 2020
Jlow2:
[s]physical infrastructure without corresponding knowledge and human deployment is not development, people will not eat bridge and roads, I have said it before , gov dave umahi has susessfully fustrated out all viable businesses in ebonyi state, with outrageous tax and high handedness[/s]
Re: Abakaliki Youths: Emerging Boko Haram- BUSINESSDAY by proeast(m): 8:44pm On Jun 30, 2020
Sensational headline. Ebonyi may be educational less developed relative to other SE states but it's not as bad as it is being portrayed.

I think the problem is structural and involves many years of being neglected which was worsened by the people largely being less ambitious in pursuing excellence in critical areas such as education, business, vocations etc. and equally a dearth of role models the people can look up to that will motivate them into becoming successful.

All SE states have areas of comparative advantage where they excel at but Ebonyi is lacking in that aspect. Agriculture and solid minerals is where they would have had an edge but it's still mostly practiced at subsistence level. Umahi is already doing a good job of providing infrastructure but he should do more by attracting high employment generating industries to harness its agriculture and solid minerals. Up till this moment, Ibeto cement that can employ thousands of Ebonyi people is still not functional.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Abakaliki Youths: Emerging Boko Haram- BUSINESSDAY by Beremi(f): 9:42pm On Jun 30, 2020
proeast:
Sensational headline. Ebonyi may be educational less developed relative to other SE states but it's not as bad as it is being portrayed.

I think the problem is structural and involves many years of being neglected which was worsened by the people largely being less ambitious in pursuing excellence in critical areas such as education, business, vocations etc. and equally a dearth of role models the people can look up to that will motivate them into becoming successful.

All SE states have areas of comparative advantage where they excel at but Ebonyi is lacking in that aspect. Agriculture and solid minerals is where they would have had an edge but it's still mostly practiced at subsistence level. Umahi is already doing a good job of providing infrastructure but he should do more by attracting high employment generating industries to harness its agriculture and solid minerals. Up till this moment, Ibeto cement that can employ thousands of Ebonyi people is still not functional.

True talk
Re: Abakaliki Youths: Emerging Boko Haram- BUSINESSDAY by Anambraboko: 9:45pm On Jun 30, 2020
From Lagos to Enugu, Abuja to Port Harcourt and in many other Nigerian cities, the story is the same! Almost all the street traders or hawkers are from Anambra state! It is a story of failure! Failure of governance and leadership amidst abundant human and natural resources of Anambra state, the Salt of the Nation. It is a sad and lamentable situation where basic opportunities are not provided and utilised to effectively harness the immense and invaluable resources of Anambra State especially the youths. With several interviews I have had with the Anambra hawkers and petty traders in different Nigerian cities and towns, the lamentations and cries for help are similar. They crave for direction, opportunities and freedoms through the provision of effective and functioning educational system! As such direction, opportunities and freedoms are presently not provided or inadequate, a sub-culture of frustration and violence is emerging which will do no one any good.

Like many states in Nigeria, the present approach to human capital/skills development of Anambra state can be described as a process of “accomplishment of natural growth” with little or no strategic plan, vision and guidance. It is similar to Jamaica’s then education system to which Professor William M. MacMillian described as ‘narrow and insecure’ in his work ‘Warning from the West Indies’. He warned that the education system in Jamaica was a major contributory factor to worsening inequality, poverty, unemployment and social divisions. He beckoned on the government to act urgently to avoid social crisis and violence. Remarkably as he warned, wide spread violence and social unrest ravaged the Caribbean with many killed and injured a year after his book was published.

To avoid a similar riot or the emergence of another Boko Haram of Anambra extraction, I deeply beckon and implore on Gov. Obiano to act now! What is needed in Anambra state is an education system that can be described and developed from the concept of concerted cultivation and development. This approach will give direction and focus, imbue confidence and trust, create a sense of ownership and belonging to Anambra children and youths. Failure to do this is an inevitable invitation and preparation for the exponential escalation of social crisis possibly similar and higher than Boko Haram.

Your Excellency, Gov. Obiano I have heard different versions and factors that led to your emergence and victory as the Governor of Anambra State. Irrespective of which one is correct, I deeply pray and implore you to adopt the version which will translate and mean an equitable (with a pro-poor inclination) sharing of the dividends of democracy through a strategy of committed and effective good governance of Anambra state. This is what majority of Anambra citizens who are poor and marginalised want from you. I am fully aware that the task to which you have been overwhelmingly elected to perform is very tedious and challenging but very achievable if you truly belief and committed to serving humanity. Directly or indirectly allowing street trading to be the most prominent brand of Anambra youths is sad and a disservice to anything good and noble. Moreover, this negative brand will not change with either the wastefull allocation of brand new jeeps to Anambra traditional rulers or the building of a brand new governor’s lodge after spending over N250 million to renovate the existing lodge.

Your Excellency Gov. Obiano, your dear state, Anambra is very backward in every aspect of human development and this requires very urgent attention through effective and committed good governance. Of the five South East states, Anambra is the only state classified as educationally less developed. While Anambra is marginally represented in the public sector, it is almost absent in the private sector. In my close interaction with the Banking sector, I have never met or heard of an Assistant General Manager (AGM) from Anambra state. A check of boa
Re: Abakaliki Youths: Emerging Boko Haram- BUSINESSDAY by akinegba1: 10:18pm On Jun 30, 2020
proeast:

Very true of ebonyi people
Re: Abakaliki Youths: Emerging Boko Haram- BUSINESSDAY by Beremi(f): 6:29am On Jul 09, 2020
achierosion cheesy
Re: Abakaliki Youths: Emerging Boko Haram- BUSINESSDAY by LegendAnselm: 7:20am On Jul 09, 2020
achierosion:
Kitikpa sewa gi Onu and may the hand u use to post this rubbish be twisted by leprosy.
amen
Re: Abakaliki Youths: Emerging Boko Haram- BUSINESSDAY by explorer250(m): 7:51am On Jul 09, 2020
jokes
Re: Abakaliki Youths: Emerging Boko Haram- BUSINESSDAY by leicestercamper: 8:08am On Jul 09, 2020
cheesy

Ebonyi people sef
Re: Abakaliki Youths: Emerging Boko Haram- BUSINESSDAY by lastempero: 8:15am On Jul 09, 2020
The writer should be ashamed of himself, did they steal from u or something else?

(1) (Reply)

Igbos At War / Senator Sani Condemns Killing Of Repentant Benue Militia Leader / #EndSARS: Group Asks OBJ, IBB To Apologize To Youths, Blasts Obiano On Nwafor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.