Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,645 members, 7,809,427 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:25 AM

Atleast 162 Jade Miners Dead After Landslide In Myanmar Buried Them (Graphic) - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Atleast 162 Jade Miners Dead After Landslide In Myanmar Buried Them (Graphic) (374 Views)

Burned Bodies Of Women, Children Found In Myanmar. 38 Killed (Graphic Pics) / Heavy Rains Trigger Landslide In Japan, At Least Two Dead / Huge Landslide In Norway Washes Houses Into Sea (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Atleast 162 Jade Miners Dead After Landslide In Myanmar Buried Them (Graphic) by Nobody: 12:58pm On Jul 02, 2020
www.nairaland.com/attachments/11847385_1_jpeg83b5009e040969ee7b60362ad7426573

At least 162 people have died and others are feared trapped after a landslide at a jade mine in northern Myanmar's Kachin State, according to officials.

The landslide was triggered by heavy rain and swept through the site in the jade-rich area of Hpakant on Thursday morning.

Myanmar Fire Department said 126 bodies had been recovered so far while local lawmaker Khin Maung Myint said another 54 people are injured. He warned that the death toll is expected to rise, but heavy rain had forced rescue efforts to be called off.

Images from the Facebook page of Myanmar's fire service showed a rescue team pulling bodies out of the mud and carrying them up a steep rock face that appears to be flooding.

"The jade miners were smothered by a wave of mud, which hit after heavy rainfall," the country's fire service said in the Facebook post.

Footage reportedly from the incident appears to show a wave of water gushing through the pit. CNN has not independently verified the video.

Landslides and other fatal accidents are common in Myanmar's gemstone mines. Located in thick, remote jungles, many of the country's jade mines are unregulated.

People working as jade pickers often labor in perilous conditions, scrambling up and down the steep hills of rubble and loose shale.

Last year, more than 50 workers were buried in a mudslide buried at a jade mine in Hpakant after a lake collapsed. In 2015, at least 113 people were killed in when a hill of tailings from a jade mine, also in Hpakant, collapsed onto the huts of sleeping workers.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/11847386_0_jpeg37d473e6ddd9a12d2adf7c748e2ee2ef

Myanmar produces about 70% of the world's jade and Hpakant is home to the world's largest jade mine.

Jade is believed to be one of Myanmar's most profitable exports and worth billions of dollars, fueled in large part by demand in neighboring China
Source: https://edition.cnn.com/2020/07/02/asia/myanmar-jade-mine-landslide-intl-hnk/index.html

www.nairaland.com/attachments/11847406_1_jpeg83b5009e040969ee7b60362ad7426573
Re: Atleast 162 Jade Miners Dead After Landslide In Myanmar Buried Them (Graphic) by Asiaventures: 1:04pm On Jul 02, 2020
Re: Atleast 162 Jade Miners Dead After Landslide In Myanmar Buried Them (Graphic) by Artiiclebeast: 1:07pm On Jul 02, 2020
Bobrisky of a job...
Re: Atleast 162 Jade Miners Dead After Landslide In Myanmar Buried Them (Graphic) by KingAgroOrganic(m): 1:08pm On Jul 02, 2020
A sad way to die,
Re: Atleast 162 Jade Miners Dead After Landslide In Myanmar Buried Them (Graphic) by Nickymezor(f): 1:19pm On Jul 02, 2020
May their souls rest in peace. What a tragedy
Re: Atleast 162 Jade Miners Dead After Landslide In Myanmar Buried Them (Graphic) by TheFacelessMan: 1:37pm On Jul 02, 2020
shocked
Re: Atleast 162 Jade Miners Dead After Landslide In Myanmar Buried Them (Graphic) by Maxymilliano(m): 2:27pm On Jul 02, 2020
Occupational hazard ... cry cry cry

God console the bereaved families
Re: Atleast 162 Jade Miners Dead After Landslide In Myanmar Buried Them (Graphic) by Righteousness89(m): 2:28pm On Jul 02, 2020
Condolences to their Families

Scary events all over the World

From Africa to Asia to Europe to America, there is no safe zone anymore..

I watch some scary events in china, Ivory Coast, Russia, Indonesia, India and so many other nations and I came to a conclusion that nothing on these earth is worth killing yourself to acquire..

I saw houses and palaces sink like it's nothing.

I saw Sweet automobiles being folded like age get bread and swept away like toy..

I looked at Mexico and saw people who watched what they have built for years collapse in less than 3mins..

I watched a man in one of the Nation, climb on top of his car due to the floods, and yet the flood carried him and his car together..

This Life is Truly Vanity! That Building, automobile, palace, that you put your confidence on could be wiped away in 2minutes..

The only Place that you can build on and be Sire in these strange is on the Solid Rock!

That Rock is JESUS CHRIST..

1 Like

Re: Atleast 162 Jade Miners Dead After Landslide In Myanmar Buried Them (Graphic) by IamPlato(m): 4:47pm On Jul 02, 2020
Saw Videos Of Land Slide, shit So Scary. Land Moving Like River

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Kanye West Announces 2020 Presidential Run / Israeli, US Officials Arrive In UAE To Cement Normalisation Deal / Political History Between Nana Akufo-addo And His Vice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.