Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,898 members, 7,817,656 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:26 PM

Jos: Governor Weeps As Women Protest In Jos - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jos: Governor Weeps As Women Protest In Jos (4000 Views)

Governor Ugwuanyi Weeps As Fulani Herdsmen Ravage Community / Nigerian Troops Arrest Terrorists Disguised As Women In Baga / Wike Weeps As PDP Blocks His Gubernatorial Aspirations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jos: Governor Weeps As Women Protest In Jos by LocalChamp: 9:25am On Feb 01, 2011
http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5670708-146/governor_weeps_as_women_protest_in.csp

Governor weeps as women protest in Jos

By Ayo Okulaja

February 1, 2011 02:52AM 

Plateau State governor, Jonah Jang, broke down in tears on Monday in Jos while addressing thousands of protesting women, including female students of the University of Jos, at the State House.

The women, clad in black, showed up in their thousands and wailed and sang sad songs for several hours in Jos, the state capital. The women were protesting the recent violence which has claimed the lives of hundreds of people in Jos.

The governor, overwhelmed by the wailing women, some of whom flung themselves to the ground and rolled around, could not stop the tears from rolling down his face as he addressed them. His wife, Ngo Talatu, who welcomed the protesters, also wept quietly throughout her husband’s speech.

The spokesperson for the protesting women, Rhoda Wal, condemned the failure of the government to address the violence.

“Innocent and harmless women, children and students are being killed in the attacks in our communities and nobody is doing anything about it,” Mrs. Wal said.

“Few attackers were arrested but that was the last that we heard about them while our sons who are defending their communities are indiscriminately arrested and put in prisons,” she added.

The women also complained that they and their children were no longer safe in their homes and in the markets, and urged the appropriate authorities to do something urgent to address the situation. They also protested against the continued presence of the military’s Special Task Force, whom they accused of being biased, and urged the federal government to reconstitute the force.

The protesters alleged that specific sections of Jos and places of worship were being protected by armoured tanks and heavily armed security personnel while other areas were unguarded and left wide open to attackers. Hausa youth and University of Jos students clashed over the weekend, leading to an intervention by the task force which ended with a few students shot.

“Market women are not safe in their markets and children are not safe in the schools; the majority of casualties in the Christmas Eve bomb blast in Kabong were women,” said Ms. Wal.

The women demanded the immediate relocation of the Farin Gada tomato market, Angwar Rogo settlement, and Bauchi road motor-park, saying that these places constituted security threats to the university communities. They also called on retired military officers, former governors, and traditional rulers in the state to mediate in the crisis.

Operation Rainbow to the rescue

Mr. Jang, pulling himself together, responded to the women by saying that the continued crisis in the metropolis was a ploy to disrupt the ongoing voter registration and forthcoming general elections.

The governor said that Plateau State and federal governments were working on a security outfit he called ‘Operation Rainbow’, to take over the maintenance of security in the state from the military.

Mr. Jang also said that the outfit would comprise of police, retired military officers, and villagers who would be trained to provide security for their various communities.

The governor appealed to the protesters to be patient with the military, saying that they were humans and not saints, an appeal the women rejected with resounding chants of “No!”

Mr. Jang promised the women that all markets close to the University of Jos would be relocated to ensure the security of students and staff.

The speaker of the State House of Assembly, Istifanus Mwansat, also informed the protesters that the legislature was working with the executive to find a lasting solution to the crisis. The protesters had earlier stopped at the State Police Command headquarters where they presented their grievances to the commissioner of police, Abdulrahman Akano.

Court of Appeal resumes sitting

Judges of the Court of Appeal have resumed work in Jos after they rounded off a routine sitting in Gombe State on Friday. The return has put an end to speculation that the court had been relocated to Gombe State following the persistent crisis in Plateau State.

Ambrose Momoh, the director of press and public relations, Federal Ministry of Justice, Abuja, had said the rumour was untrue. Mr. Momoh had told the News Agency of Nigeria that he was not aware of any such order.

Also, public schools in Jos remained closed on Monday as students did not resume despite the directive from the federal government that all schools should open following the expiration of the three weeks ordered for voter registration.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5670708-146/governor_weeps_as_women_protest_in.csp

Re: Jos: Governor Weeps As Women Protest In Jos by EzeUche2(m): 9:38am On Feb 01, 2011
There is real anguish in those eyes. Even I am moved by these pictures. It is horrible what is happening in Jos.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Jos: Governor Weeps As Women Protest In Jos by WilyWily12: 9:55am On Feb 01, 2011
I love it as those women are crying, i am laughing at them. they cry like little kids.
Maybe the water from their eye will form a new ocean call Middle belt Ocean.
Please women keep crying, i want to keep popping my Champagne. i am very happy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Jos: Governor Weeps As Women Protest In Jos by kcjazz(m): 9:58am On Feb 01, 2011
No matter the tears, I believe the Governor should resign, he has not shown leadership and people are dying

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Jos: Governor Weeps As Women Protest In Jos by 13volts(m): 10:15am On Feb 01, 2011
jang should not shed any tears he should resign ASAP

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Jos: Governor Weeps As Women Protest In Jos by Beaf: 10:22am On Feb 01, 2011
13volts:

jang should not shed any tears he should resign ASAP

Jang will not resign, neither will there ever be a state of emergency in Plateau. You guys dream on, the days of baby killers are numbered.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Jos: Governor Weeps As Women Protest In Jos by MeGaStReEt: 11:32am On Feb 01, 2011
I thought there was no Gov'nor in that state

this guy is supposed to be in jail by now

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Jos: Governor Weeps As Women Protest In Jos by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 12:15pm On Feb 01, 2011
It sure takes a strong-man to cry after soo many needless deaths of women and children and youth-corpers. What has he done in the past 4yrs to prevent such crisis. NOTHING now he cries because his election plans are in disarray lipsrsealed

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Jos: Governor Weeps As Women Protest In Jos by Nobody: 12:28pm On Feb 01, 2011
kcjazz:

No matter the tears, I believe the Governor should resign, he has not shown leadership and people are dying

I believe the man should not resign. The security of the state is not entiredly in his hands. Soldiers are there (some of them are even accused of assisting the aggressors), what are they doing?.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Jos: Governor Weeps As Women Protest In Jos by hakanai(m): 12:54pm On Feb 01, 2011
^^^^
My guy thank you.When people talk common sense people will jump up with there religious conquest ideology looking for some upper hand over the other. angry
Right now i don't care any longer as i can tell the rainbow crap is not going to work but only legalize the same armed militias that have being killing all this while in there various community.The Governor today can not even have a talk with the other side because of his extreme hate for them and he calls himself a leader.Generalizing will not help anyone but only unite people on the bases of fighting for survival, Even where there is no need for that.
Here is a typical mind set,Support Jang anyway even if he is not performing else the Muslims get to win !!!! sounds Good i believe for the fanatic xtian. Declare a state of emergency and Jang goes,even if he  is building roads or the xtians win.muslim fanatic  so much trash clogged up in peoples head.
Jos is nothing but a typical state where everyone is judged or valued by his religious status.forget tribe, it only applies for political gains.
For me stop sending soldiers as all they get is a lesson on discrimination and extremism.Must people In Jos residence are so fanatic that brother the Taliban and earlier crusaders would bow.
Mr Jang stop crying.Your people and the state needs you to lean on.How many times have this same ladies stopped there own youths from lynching or killing someone.charity beginnings at home.If only all the ladies ensured there children did the right thing, In there numbers rather than strip nake and cause more disgrace,things would have being better.If they call for the replacement of the Soldiers they are doing them a favour.The few i have met in that town,pray for this to happen and behold they could be replaced.What is there for them rather than sentiments and blaming.
For others that keep spewing crap,can anyone categorically say all of them are muslims? abi na fake xtians dey!I was in Jos on xmas day and i saw alot more xtians in the ranks of the army at most check points i passed.especially in the Southern part where they complain of more attacks.I believe a visit should prove that.
Nothing is wrong in peace and harmony except this so called people(Muslims and xtians) in Jos.The Tourism is there and the peace is pending.
That land you fight is there before you and shall be there after you.What matters is how you spend your time here.I wonder what lived in Jos 20000 years ago.A time will come that all this will be of no use to you all.
Later the Muslim may start calling for the Mopol and Police to be changed completely.I remember how they(Muslims and xtian groups) insisted the former CP and GOC be removed!behold the peace is stilll pending!!!! shocked Why is that ?
They are never sincere and Judge only on religious sentiments.
FG has a duty to save lifes and so many have being lost.Deal with this correctly and don't listen to there trash be it Muslims or Xtians. You owe the real innocent people that, especial people killed so far. cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Jos: Governor Weeps As Women Protest In Jos by MaiSuya(m): 1:08pm On Feb 01, 2011
What a pathetic site.  cry

I really wonder his tears represent.
commiseration? defeat? or as lagerwidoubt cheekily said, regret?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Jos: Governor Weeps As Women Protest In Jos by violent(m): 1:14pm On Feb 01, 2011
I am glad everyone is ignoring a numpty headed poster in one of the posts above.  good sign folks, fóols should never be encouraged on a forum like this!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Jos: Governor Weeps As Women Protest In Jos by 13volts(m): 1:44pm On Feb 01, 2011
dummy
Re: Jos: Governor Weeps As Women Protest In Jos by 1025: 1:53pm On Feb 01, 2011
Jang will not resign, neither will there ever be a state of emergency in Plateau. You guys dream on, the days of baby killers are numbered.

@beaf,
the pains of the ppl of jos will soon be ur portion and we will gather here to wish u what u are wishing them now.
jang and jonathan have failed in the reponsibility no 1 for which they took oath that is to protect the ppl under them.
my prayers is that all those who took oath to portect us and fail shld resign or die.
originally, oaths kill offenders so why are they not dying? let them die now by fire.
jang and jonathan have failed and must resign or die.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Jos: Governor Weeps As Women Protest In Jos by Kx: 1:57pm On Feb 01, 2011
Here is the difference btw Tunishia, Egypt, etc and Nigeria.

In those countries, demonstrators protest and asks their failed govt to leave office.

In Jos/Nigeria, demonstrates protests and asks their failed govt to address issues they have consistently shown their inabilities to address.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Jos: Governor Weeps As Women Protest In Jos by 13volts(m): 2:07pm On Feb 01, 2011
Kx:

Here is the difference btw Tunishia, Egypt, etc and Nigeria.

In those countries, demonstrators protest and asks their failed govt to leave office.

In Jos/Nigeria, demonstrates protests and asks their failed govt to address issues they have consistently shown their inabilities to address.

imagine
Re: Jos: Governor Weeps As Women Protest In Jos by Akanbiedu(m): 4:41pm On Feb 01, 2011
Jang should be jail. jang and Jona are going to waste a lot of lives in Plateau because of 2011 elections and they are still going to lose.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Jos: Governor Weeps As Women Protest In Jos by seanet03: 4:48pm On Feb 01, 2011
@hakanai, so you can detect the Religion of an Army Personnel with Uniform? You this Northern Militants with your illogical REDUNDANCY

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Jos: Governor Weeps As Women Protest In Jos by hakanai(m): 5:14pm On Feb 01, 2011
seanet03:

@hakanai, so you can detect the Religion of an Army Personnel with Uniform? You this Northern Militants with your illogical REDUNDANCY
You should have your fanatic and dilluted so called brain heavily composed of expended brain cells examined !!!I stated clearly a visit is wise.I know the ones i saw in Riyom about 3 checkpoints. 1 in marabah jama'a and alot on them in Bukuru.
In short one of them joined our bus to town and his story as a christian was a different thing all together.Blaming them alot has destroyed there spirit and wilingness even do more than orders given to them.
He told us how they had to shoot people where they didn't want to because they would not be peacefull and only want to take more lives.Mr Man you should ask the soldiers.They comprise xtian and muslims.Ask the group that suits you!
He admits they have killed more than the riots have killed in other to restore normalcy.he also admits this is one conflict he feels will continue because of sentiments.
he told me about an incidence that the papers reported.Which he said he was there when it happened and the media allocated blame to Musliim soldiers whilst he said a xtian soldier did the shooting and he knows the soldier.That it happened in a struggle,the soldier claimed.
Re: Jos: Governor Weeps As Women Protest In Jos by 13volts(m): 8:15pm On Feb 01, 2011
thanks bros for that info. I kept saying you only need to be a resident of jos for you to really appreciate the crisis. The current crop of men in the stf consist of abot 45'percent non muslim and majority of d sector commanders are also xtian. if you to the police and mopol the disperity is starggery.
Re: Jos: Governor Weeps As Women Protest In Jos by Nobody: 11:03pm On Feb 01, 2011
haka_nai:

You should have your fanatic and dilluted so called brain heavily composed of expended brain cells examined !!!I stated clearly a visit is wise.I know the ones i saw in Riyom about 3 checkpoints. 1 in marabah jama'a and alot on them in Bukuru.
In short one of them joined our bus to town and his story as a christian was a different thing all together.Blaming them alot has destroyed there spirit and wilingness even do more than orders given to them.
He told us how they had to shoot people where they didn't want to because they would not be peacefull and only want to take more lives.Mr Man you should ask the soldiers.They comprise xtian and muslims.Ask the group that suits you!
He admits they have killed more than the riots have killed in other to restore normalcy.he also admits this is one conflict he feels will continue because of sentiments.
he told me about an incidence that the papers reported.Which he said he was there when it happened and the media allocated blame to Musliim soldiers whilst he said a xtian soldier did the shooting and he knows the soldier.That it happened in a struggle,the soldier claimed.

How can a soldier join a public bus and speak so carelessly. In military, loose talk is a punishable offense and nigerian soldiers are not known for loose talks. Lets hope he is not one of those fake soldiers that endulge in the killing of the innocents!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Jos: Governor Weeps As Women Protest In Jos by monkeyleg: 11:10pm On Feb 01, 2011
Has Goodluck been to see these people? has he been to Jos since this crisis?

It tells you the sort of person he is.

Nigerians must choose wisely

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Jos: Governor Weeps As Women Protest In Jos by murrey29: 2:27pm On Oct 07, 2019
October 25th,2010- RELIGIOUS CRISIS LEFT 132 DEAD IN JOS PLATEAU

Plateau State Governor Jonah David Jang on Friday, confirmed the death of 132 people in Ahmadu bello way Jos, arouno yusuff street, ajayi street, oyewunmi street, ojo street, Bauchi street and Tafawa balewa street.

The fight is between Muslims and Christians.

The governor in a statement by his senior special assistant on media and publicity regretted the development and vowed that the perpetrators would be brought to justice.

Police source who spoke on condition of animosity said 40 children and 92 adults were killed .
This made many people fled the area and run away

Security agencies today reported the recovery of 132 bodies that were killed in an attack by criminal elements in various local government area of Jos

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Why We Need Our Odua Republic. / FFK'S Take On Ribadu's Defection And Apc's Reaction. / modified

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.