Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,022 members, 7,828,597 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 11:51 AM

Loans To Friends: How Can I Get My Money Back? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Loans To Friends: How Can I Get My Money Back? (765 Views)

Lending Money To Friends Who Hardly Pay Back: how to get your money back / Guaranty Trust Bank Plc Giving Loans To Small Business Start Ups. / Nigerian Central Bank Bars Loans To Big Debtors Post-crisis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Loans To Friends: How Can I Get My Money Back? by Jbatty: 4:05pm On Feb 01, 2011
I'm currently based in the uk - moved here about 10 years ago from Nigeria. Through facebook, I recently reconnected with some friends I'd known from way back.

A couple years ago, 3 of my friends requested for short term cash loans for various reasons. I lent them money emphasising the fact that they are loans not gifts and we agreed on repayment dates. These loans are now more than a year overdue and I'm having no luck getting the money back. Can u please advice what else I can do other than sending emails ?

Friend1 . Needed some cash in his account for 3 months so he can apply for his uk highly skilled visa after his master prog. Current whereabouts unknown. Does not respond to his messages anymore.
Friend2. Need some cash to pay his uk university fee balance as his stock market investments had collapsed. His uni was threatening with suspension. Occasionally responds to email but not paying up.
Friend3. Was in a bad state when I saw again Lagos. Wanted some capital to expand his retail business. Called one day to say sales girl had ran away with all his money. Hasnt picked up my call since then. Occasionally sends apologetic text messages.

I have known each one of these guys for a long time. What can I do?
Re: Loans To Friends: How Can I Get My Money Back? by oluwabamis(m): 5:27pm On Feb 01, 2011
hi friend, i happen to be in ur shoes. loan 1.6m naira to a guy since dec 09, since then its been stories upon stories. just last mmonth i was discussing with a lawyer & he told me that with a proof, i can sue him for obtaining under false pretence (419) & its a good caase for efcc to handle. in ur case living in d uk might make things a little difficult. u can also claim damages which will take care of legal fees. this is my
best advice. pls learn from this. any money u cant let go, dont loan it out. but u still have to give help to people financially though.
Re: Loans To Friends: How Can I Get My Money Back? by Freesia(f): 4:58pm On Feb 14, 2011
Money is such a sensitive subject it makes or breaks friendships.If family or close friends borrow money from me the first thing that comes to mind is that there is a possibility that I might never see the money again if I lend it I've done it at my own risk.
If they start throwing specific amounts that will definitely leave my bank account hurting in case they never pay back " I don't have that kind of money comes to mind"  smiley
Re: Loans To Friends: How Can I Get My Money Back? by Freesia(f): 5:49pm On Feb 14, 2011
Jbatty:

I lent them money emphasising the fact that they are loans not gifts and we agreed on repayment dates. These loans are now more than a year overdue and I'm having no luck getting the money back.
I have known each one of these guys for a long time. What can I do?

They could all be genuinely cash strapped or have you as an option meaning other "important" financial issues keep coming up and they deal with it first only to remember they owe you money much later. The other reason could be they don't intend to pay you back and see this as a "gift"
Goodluck on this one

(1) (Reply)

Are There Any Credit Card Companies In Nigeria? / Tax Consultant / Ghana's Economy, Fastest-growing In The World - Report

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.