Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,909 members, 7,952,656 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 08:25 PM

Legal or illegal to record public officials doing wrong thing on duty - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Legal or illegal to record public officials doing wrong thing on duty (267 Views)

Water Poured On A Security Officer Spotted Sleeping On Duty / US Police Officer On Duty Records Himself Having Sex With Woman In His Office / The Police Officers Who Were Gambling & Smoking While On Duty, Arrested. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Legal or illegal to record public officials doing wrong thing on duty by Zector(m): 4:39pm On Jul 04, 2020
lipsrsealed[b][/b]Your opinion needed..!!
Legal or illegal to record public officials doing wrong thing on duty

"Hi, I want you to help me post this up, I don't know if what I did was wrong enough to get the treatment I got. On Wednesday, I was beaten and had my iPhone roughly collected and confiscated by LASTMA officials at TBS. I had just come out from a canteen just opposite Muson center when I saw many LASTMA officials and people gathered there, I took a closer look and found out that these officials were beating a man blue-black, they beat him like he stole money, area boys who always follow them also joined in the beating, I decided to record that incident cos it wasn't right to me, some elderly women were pleading on the man's behalf but slap from different angles kept landing on the man balds head, his face and head was already turning purple cos he was fair in complexion. I stylishly held my phone to my face and was recording, one of them saw me and walked up to me and immediately slapped me and started dragging my phone with me before I could say anything, hands had started descending on me, the area boys held me by my trousers and were beating me, I was really scared at that point I had to let go of my phone and I didn't get to see who actually took it. It took some of those women who saw me earlier at the canteen for the boys to free me.

My left eye was badly hit and I couldn't open it for some time. People started asking what I did, I told them, and they said what I did was wrong, that it's a crime in Lagos to record public officials. I was amazed, to be honest. One man now saw my confused State and asked me if I knew who took my phone, said no. He now took me to one of the LASTMA officials, and he said I should come to Sura to get my phone. Till today, I've not been able to go cos I'm scared I'd be jailed for breaking a law in Lagos. My phone is still with them as I'm typing this, the headache from the beating that Wednesday is still resounding.

My nose is still paining me. I don't even know the condition of my iPhone if it's still intact. Please, I'm asking those who know about the law, was my action a crime? In case, they want to deny it, The video should already be in my iCloud, as I don't remember any of them, I'm sure I captured the one who came to me and slapped me first. Please help me tag Sega and Lagos State govt handles, and any other appropriate handle, thanks."

What would you advise him to do, go to sura to collect his phone, or just forget about it?

Please I would love to hear from you, comment in the section below. Thank you.
Re: Legal or illegal to record public officials doing wrong thing on duty by Mayng01(m): 5:19pm On Jul 04, 2020
Legal but most of the security or law enforcement in Nigeria are illiterates & the educated & illiterates are both thieves in relation to bribery. Even Nigeria judicial system is a mess. I would suggest you go fetch your phone. Watch what madam kemi olunloyo did with sars at lag today & listen to the instructions being given to the citizens around her. She was telling them to make sure they capture the moment on video in the presence of sars. But your case is falling in the midst of touts. So unfortunate & sorry for the pains they have caused you. Go fetch your phone. No shaking.

(1) (Reply)

Aide Denies Osinbajo Ordered Magu To Release N4 Billion To Him / Man, 38, Arrested For Sexual Assault On A 13-year-old Girl In Ogun / What's Govt. Doing About Incessant Menace Of Stealing From Road Users In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.