Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,725 members, 7,955,740 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 02:07 PM

Court Stops Banker From Testifying Against Babachir Lawal - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Court Stops Banker From Testifying Against Babachir Lawal (712 Views)

₦544m Grass-Cutting Fraud: Court Admits More Exhibits Against Babachir Lawal / Court Admits 7 Exhibits Against Babachir, Rejects 10 / EFCC Files 10-count Charge Against Babachir Lawal, 5 Others (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Court Stops Banker From Testifying Against Babachir Lawal by Luckydubby7(m): 3:59am On Jul 07, 2020
The High Court of the Federal Capital Territory in Maitama, Abuja, on Monday rejected the bid to field an official of Ecobank Plc to as a prosecution witness in the trial of a former Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Babachir Lawal, and six others.

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission is prosecuting the defendants on amended 10 counts of fraud, with the ex-SGF being accused of benefiting illegally from the approval of N544m for grass-cutting and simplified irrigation in the North -East region of the country.

Others with whom Lawal is being prosecuted by the EFCC are his brother, Hamidu David Lawal; a director of Rholavision Engineering Limited; an employee of the company, Sulaiman Abubakar and the Managing Director of Josmon Technologies Limited, Apeh John.

All the defendants had pleaded not guilty to the charges..

Justice Jude Okeke, in a ruling on Monday, upheld the defendants’ objection which they had earlier raised on June 10, 2020 agaisnt the testimony of an Ecobank’s Compliance Officer, Chidi Eboigbe,

The judge anchored his decision, disallowing the witness based on the failure of the anti-corruption agency to include Eboigbe in its list of witnesses served beforehand on the defendants.

He ruled that the omission by the commission violated Section 379 of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act, 2011.

He, however, however ruled that the EFCC could still call the witness to testify after amending its proof of evidence to include Eboigbe as a witness in its list of witnesses.

EFCC’s lawyer, Offem Uket, asked for an adjournment to file the additional proof of evidence.

Defence lawyer, Chief Akin Olujinmi (SAN), expressed displeasure over EFCC’s request for an adjournment which he said was informed by the commission’s failure to keep its house in order.

Another defence lawyer, Sunday Ameh (SAN), representing the second defendant, adopted Olujinmi’s position.

Justice Okeke adjourned till September 14 and 16 for continuation of trial.

https://punchng.com/court-stops-banker-from-testifying-against-babachir-lawal/
Re: Court Stops Banker From Testifying Against Babachir Lawal by DuBLINGreenb(m): 4:03am On Jul 07, 2020
Procedural law is causing us hardship in this country what is difficult if you take another date put your house in other and return the judge should also consider that new stuff come up everyday as the agency keeps digging
And allow them to add new witnesses and new evidence as they find

We will never have true justice if we keep adherence to all these archaic nonesense
Re: Court Stops Banker From Testifying Against Babachir Lawal by XXLMANDIGO: 4:09am On Jul 07, 2020
Re: Court Stops Banker From Testifying Against Babachir Lawal by cdm4live: 4:48am On Jul 07, 2020
This EFCC sef, they do things like a disorganised agency.
People that are always in court should have known how to fight the court fight well.

1 Like

Re: Court Stops Banker From Testifying Against Babachir Lawal by Nobody: 5:36am On Jul 07, 2020
They will sha do, do make Babachir no go jail under Buhari.

No problem, he shouldn't rejoice. The God who caught up with OUK will catch him no matter how long

1 Like

Re: Court Stops Banker From Testifying Against Babachir Lawal by ChoCho54(f): 5:42am On Jul 07, 2020
EastGold:

No problem, he shouldn't rejoice. The God who caught up with OUK will catch him no matter how long
Gbam!

This is Efcc that's in court everyday, yet they still don't know the right things to do. Before you know it, the case would be thrown out for lack of diligent prosecution.

1 Like

Re: Court Stops Banker From Testifying Against Babachir Lawal by Nobody: 5:45am On Jul 07, 2020
ChoCho54:
Gbam!

This is Efcc that's in court everyday, yet they still don't know the right things to do. Before you know it, the case would be thrown out for lack of diligent prosecution.

But, come o ChoCho54, shey na u dey drink beer for that ur profile or the woman na ur sister, or momsy?
Just asking ni o

tongue
Re: Court Stops Banker From Testifying Against Babachir Lawal by allthingsgood: 5:47am On Jul 07, 2020
DuBLINGreenb:
Procedural law is causing us hardship in this country what is difficult if you take another date put your house in other and return the judge should also consider that new stuff come up everyday as the agency keeps digging
And allow them to add new witnesses and new evidence as they find

We will never have true justice if we keep adherence to all these archaic nonesense

Pls read the post till the end before u comment

The judge said efcc shld first amend it's processes
Re: Court Stops Banker From Testifying Against Babachir Lawal by allthingsgood: 5:48am On Jul 07, 2020
ChoCho54:
Gbam!

U that knows the right thing why not go and take over
Re: Court Stops Banker From Testifying Against Babachir Lawal by allthingsgood: 5:49am On Jul 07, 2020
EastGold:

Lol stop calling God for naija matter biko
Everybody including u is corrupt. When it favours u u go call am connection. grin
Re: Court Stops Banker From Testifying Against Babachir Lawal by ChoCho54(f): 6:00am On Jul 07, 2020
EastGold:

But, come o ChoCho54, shey na u dey drink beer for that ur profile or the woman na ur sister, or momsy?
Just asking ni o

tongue
I'm the one. My mom and sister are both on NL and use their own pictures as dp.
Re: Court Stops Banker From Testifying Against Babachir Lawal by ChoCho54(f): 6:01am On Jul 07, 2020
allthingsgood:

U that knows the right thing why not go and take over
I can't serve in a government where the head is a Lifeless Sudanese grin

1 Like

Re: Court Stops Banker From Testifying Against Babachir Lawal by allthingsgood: 6:02am On Jul 07, 2020
ChoCho54:
I can't serve in a government where the head is a Lifeless Sudanese grin

So in other words you're a hopeless wailer grin
Re: Court Stops Banker From Testifying Against Babachir Lawal by ChoCho54(f): 6:05am On Jul 07, 2020
allthingsgood:

So in other words you're a hopeless wailer grin
Yes o!

After all, my vote doesn't count

But just like the other guy said, God will intervene on behalf of the hopeless! Remember Abacha grin

1 Like

Re: Court Stops Banker From Testifying Against Babachir Lawal by allthingsgood: 6:06am On Jul 07, 2020
ChoCho54:
Yes o!

After all, my vote doesn't count

But just the other said, God will intervene on behalf of the hopeless! Remember Abacha grin

Don't call God my dear. Dont let him release thunder on your head. Cheers
Re: Court Stops Banker From Testifying Against Babachir Lawal by ChoCho54(f): 6:08am On Jul 07, 2020
allthingsgood:

Don't call God my dear. Dont let him release thunder on your head. Cheers
He will start with you, that's why you are scared of thunder. Your hands are soiled! grin

Visit Ize iyamu for deliverance.

1 Like

Re: Court Stops Banker From Testifying Against Babachir Lawal by allthingsgood: 6:15am On Jul 07, 2020
ChoCho54:
He will start with you, that's why you are scared of thunder. Your hands are soiled! grin

Visit Ize iyamu for deliverance.

Hahaha
U be comedian oo grin

1 Like

Re: Court Stops Banker From Testifying Against Babachir Lawal by Nobody: 6:29am On Jul 07, 2020
ChoCho54:
I'm the one. My mom and sister are both on NL and use their own pictures as dp.

Big head.
I will report you to SARS

1 Like

Re: Court Stops Banker From Testifying Against Babachir Lawal by Nobody: 6:40am On Jul 07, 2020
I see babachir Lawal getting discharge and acquitted soon.
Re: Court Stops Banker From Testifying Against Babachir Lawal by ChoCho54(f): 7:08am On Jul 07, 2020
EastGold:

Big head.
I will report you to SARS
Report me to sars because I was drinking beer on hijab? Mumuric was right about you Yoruba redeemed church members after all!
Re: Court Stops Banker From Testifying Against Babachir Lawal by Racoon(m): 7:15am On Jul 07, 2020
The game plan is obvious.It's not the same grasscutter Lawal Babachir riding on the same crest of corruption as Gandollar in the APC guber council in Edo state.EFCC my foot.Meanwhile, Magu has become the hunted now too by the cabals.
Re: Court Stops Banker From Testifying Against Babachir Lawal by Nobody: 9:28am On Jul 07, 2020
ChoCho54:
Report me to sars because I was drinking beer on hijab? Mumuric was right about you Yoruba redeemed church members after all!

What has Yoruba got to do with benign jokes with you this early morning?
Re: Court Stops Banker From Testifying Against Babachir Lawal by ChoCho54(f): 9:39am On Jul 07, 2020
EastGold:

What has Yoruba got to do with benign jokes with you this early morning?
Haba nau! And you couldn't see the sarcasm?

1 Like

Re: Court Stops Banker From Testifying Against Babachir Lawal by Nobody: 10:09am On Jul 07, 2020
ChoCho54:
Haba nau! And you couldn't see the sarcasm?

I been wan carry you to Magu before ni

1 Like

Re: Court Stops Banker From Testifying Against Babachir Lawal by DuBLINGreenb(m): 10:10am On Jul 07, 2020
allthingsgood:

Pls read the post till the end before u comment

The judge said efcc shld first amend it's processes
Ok

(1) (Reply)

A Sinner Becomes A Saint The Moment He Joins APC - Oyinlola / Obaseki/shuaibu - Now That The Battle Is Over / PDP Making Efforts To Repeat Edo Victory In Ondo, Plans To Meet Mimiko, Others

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.