Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,609 members, 7,812,998 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:06 AM

Pregnant Daughter Of Nigerian Billionaire Set To Deliver Baby In The Usa! Why? - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Pregnant Daughter Of Nigerian Billionaire Set To Deliver Baby In The Usa! Why? (4333 Views)

Jeremy-Meeks: Another Olajumoke Discovered In The USA / Adaora Ukoh Holds Secret Baby-Shower, Set To Deliver In US (Photos) / Pretty Ghanaian Actress, Yvonne Okoro Set To Wed Nigerian Billionaire (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pregnant Daughter Of Nigerian Billionaire Set To Deliver Baby In The Usa! Why? by Princek12(m): 2:57pm On Feb 02, 2011
You would think that indigent Nigerian citizens are usually the ones who travel abroad to give birth to their children. But who would have thought that the daughter of a Nigerian billionaire, Bella Adenuga Disu, has joined the ranks of legions of Nigerian women who travel to the USA to give birth to their children so that they can become American citizens at birth.

The reasons that motivate this behavior can no longer be attributable solely to the hopes that these anchor babies will one day take their families out of poverty, as this situation suggests otherwise. Bella Adenuga is from an extremely wealthy family.

http://lindaikeji..com/2011/02/pregnant-bella-adenuga-disu-relocates.html
Re: Pregnant Daughter Of Nigerian Billionaire Set To Deliver Baby In The Usa! Why? by tpia5: 4:01pm On Feb 02, 2011
they said both husband and wife are US citizens.

in any case, any recent photos?
Re: Pregnant Daughter Of Nigerian Billionaire Set To Deliver Baby In The Usa! Why? by tpia5: 4:04pm On Feb 02, 2011
besides, some states are working on a law to restrict anchor babies, so i'd doubt that's her motivation for travelling.

not set in stone however.
Re: Pregnant Daughter Of Nigerian Billionaire Set To Deliver Baby In The Usa! Why? by spikedcylinder: 5:03pm On Feb 02, 2011
Jeez. What if she just traveled for better health care?
Re: Pregnant Daughter Of Nigerian Billionaire Set To Deliver Baby In The Usa! Why? by Princek12(m): 5:15pm On Feb 02, 2011
spikedcylinder:

Jeez. What if she just traveled for better health care?

There are a million and one other countries with healthcare systems the quality of which is comparable to the United States. And while you may feign ignorance to the fact that the United States is the most sought after country by Nigerian women to give birth to their children, we all know it is true. While I strongly think it has given we Nigerians a bad name, just as we seriously abuse any privilege given to us, I think that it is better that the US changes the system, that is, to deny birthright citizenship to children of nonresident parents. Because many of these mothers of anchor babies neither live in the USA nor contribute to its development, it is unfair to those who stay in the US, pay taxes, and develop the country, just for some parasite mother to send her child back in 18 yrs to benefit from a country to which she has contributed nothing.
Re: Pregnant Daughter Of Nigerian Billionaire Set To Deliver Baby In The Usa! Why? by spikedcylinder: 5:30pm On Feb 02, 2011
Princek12:

There are a million and one other countries with healthcare systems the quality of which is comparable to the United States. And while you may feign ignorance to the fact that the United States is the most sought after country by Nigerian women to give birth to their children, we all know it is true. While I strongly think it has given we Nigerians a bad name, just as we seriously abuse any privilege given to us, I think that it is better that the US changes the system, that is, to deny birthright citizenship to children of nonresident parents. Because many of these mothers of anchor babies neither live in the USA nor contribute to its development, it is unfair to those who stay in the US, pay taxes, and develop the country, just for some parasite mother to send her child back in 18 yrs to benefit from a country to which she has contributed nothing.

She's wealthy, she and her husband are Americans (which automatically makes the kid American) and she chose to go to America to have her child, it must mean she wants to abuse the system?
Really? So as they also did part of their honeymoon in America, it means they are looking for greener pastures as well too abi?
Re: Pregnant Daughter Of Nigerian Billionaire Set To Deliver Baby In The Usa! Why? by violent(m): 7:57pm On Feb 02, 2011
Princek12:

What!!!!!!!

It must mean everyone and anyone who decides to leave their country just to have their babies elsewhere in the world, do so to get their kids registered as citizens? wow, we are not even considering the fact that the parents are citizens already?

wow!. . .what a surprising trail of thought
Re: Pregnant Daughter Of Nigerian Billionaire Set To Deliver Baby In The Usa! Why? by Princek12(m): 8:37pm On Feb 02, 2011
spikedcylinder:

She's wealthy, she and her husband are Americans (which automatically makes the kid American) and she chose to go to America to have her child, it must mean she wants to abuse the system?
Really? So as they also did part of their honeymoon in America, it means they are looking for greener pastures as well too abi?

I am not saying that she, specifically, wants to abuse the system. And there is no evidence supporting that they are U.S. citizens. I am saying generally that women who give birth in foreign countries without contributing to the country, and sending their children back there 18 yrs later to benefit from a country to which they contributed nothing, are abusing the system.

I am now beginning to think the typical Nigerian is genetically predisposed to abuse any privilege. Maybe that is why our country is rife with corruption, and any thing built on trust can hardly function in Nigeria. Even if both she and her husband are American, do they pay taxes or contribute to the development of America? Even if she is American, maybe her own mother also gave birth to her in America so that she can come and reap the benefits of America, and she is only continuing the cycle.
Re: Pregnant Daughter Of Nigerian Billionaire Set To Deliver Baby In The Usa! Why? by tpiah2: 8:39pm On Feb 02, 2011
is there evidence saying they are not US citizens?

they were both in the US before they went back to nigeria btw.

people do abuse the system, but i dont think that's what's happening here.
Re: Pregnant Daughter Of Nigerian Billionaire Set To Deliver Baby In The Usa! Why? by Kunbee: 10:56pm On Feb 02, 2011
Congrats
Re: Pregnant Daughter Of Nigerian Billionaire Set To Deliver Baby In The Usa! Why? by Basseti: 10:59pm On Feb 02, 2011
Princek12:

The reasons that motivate this behavior can no longer be attributable solely to the hopes that these anchor babies will one day take their families out of poverty, as this situation suggests otherwise. Bella Adenuga is from an extremely wealthy family.

Maybe I am missing something here? undecided

If u can afford to send ur wife to the US to deliver ur baby, U are not exactly wallowing in poverty.
Re: Pregnant Daughter Of Nigerian Billionaire Set To Deliver Baby In The Usa! Why? by Princek12(m): 11:24pm On Feb 02, 2011
Basseti:

Maybe I am missing something here? undecided

If u can afford to send your wife to the US to deliver your baby, U are not exactly wallowing in poverty.
says who? Many people who are in poverty save for years and sell properties just to come and give birth in the U.S. And when I mean poverty I do not really mean that they are extremely poor but that they are not among the elite. I admit I was not very clear, though!
Re: Pregnant Daughter Of Nigerian Billionaire Set To Deliver Baby In The Usa! Why? by spikedcylinder: 11:53am On Feb 03, 2011
Princek12:

I am not saying that she, specifically, wants to abuse the system. And there is no evidence supporting that they are U.S. citizens. I am saying generally that women who give birth in foreign countries without contributing to the country, and sending their children back there 18 yrs later to benefit from a country to which they contributed nothing, are abusing the system.

I am now beginning to think the typical Nigerian is genetically predisposed to abuse any privilege. Maybe that is why our country is rife with corruption, and any thing built on trust can hardly function in Nigeria. Even if both she and her husband are American, do they pay taxes or contribute to the development of America? Even if she is American, maybe her own mother also gave birth to her in America so that she can come and reap the benefits of America, and she is only continuing the cycle.

I made a mistake, Bella is a British citizen, not American. Her husband is an American citizen though.
However, a woman who gives birth in a foreign country will most likely pay through her nose for the health care, how is that abusing the system? A lot of women go abroad to have their babies and bring them back to Nigeria. They haven't done anything wrong or committed any crime.
If they even intend to send those kids back to America after 18 years, its still all well and good because the child will most likely pay tuition and contribute to the economy and labour market of that country.
You need to calm down.
Re: Pregnant Daughter Of Nigerian Billionaire Set To Deliver Baby In The Usa! Why? by Princek12(m): 1:32pm On Feb 03, 2011
spikedcylinder:

I made a mistake, Bella is a British citizen, not American. Her husband is an American citizen though.
However, a woman who gives birth in a foreign country will most[b] likely pay through her nose for the health care[/b], how is that abusing the system? A lot of women go abroad to have their babies and bring them back to Nigeria. They haven't done anything wrong or committed any crime.
If they even intend to send those kids back to America after 18 years, its still all well and good because the child will mos[b]t likely pay tuition and contribute[/b] to the economy and labour market of that country.
You need to calm down.

Spiked Cylinder,

What you have said is usually not the case. Many Nigerian women who come here to give birth do not pay their medical bills. In the USA there is a law that forbids emergency rooms from denying emergency care. These women go there during labor, rack up about $16,000 to $20,000 in bills, and disappear. Some of them even give the hospitals fake addresses. So when the hospital later sends them their huge bill, the women are back in Nigeria where they cannot be reached, nor can their credit report flagged nor a lien placed on their property because they have no ties with America. A lot of our women know this and have taken advantage of it.

As per the tuition, the child coming back at 18 years old qualifies for Pell grant, which is a government grant for eligible citizens and residents. The child also qualifies for a federally subsidized loan, and many of these kids take advantage of it.

I am not saying all of our women abuse the system but reports suggest that an overwhelming majority of them do. Let's be real: how many Nigerian women who come to the USA to deliver can afford to pay about $20,000 in medical bills? And even the ones who can afford it usually don't pay it because they can abuse the system and get away with it.
Re: Pregnant Daughter Of Nigerian Billionaire Set To Deliver Baby In The Usa! Why? by tpia5: 3:53pm On Feb 03, 2011
^people do abuse the system, but that's not the case here.
Re: Pregnant Daughter Of Nigerian Billionaire Set To Deliver Baby In The Usa! Why? by spikedcylinder: 4:07pm On Feb 03, 2011
Princek12:

Spiked Cylinder,

What you have said is usually not the case. Many Nigerian women who come here to give birth do not pay their medical bills. In the USA there is a law that forbids emergency rooms from denying emergency care. These women go there during labor, rack up about $16,000 to $20,000 in bills, and disappear. Some of them even give the hospitals fake addresses. So when the hospital later sends them their huge bill, the women are back in Nigeria where they cannot be reached, nor can their credit report flagged nor a lien placed on their property because they have no ties with America. A lot of our women know this and have taken advantage of it.

As per the tuition, the child coming back at 18 years old qualifies for Pell grant, which is a government grant for eligible citizens and residents. The child also qualifies for a federally subsidized loan, and many of these kids take advantage of it.

I am not saying all of our women abuse the system but reports suggest that an overwhelming majority of them do. Let's be real: how many Nigerian women who come to the USA to deliver can afford to pay about $20,000 in medical bills? And even the ones who can afford it usually don't pay it because they can abuse the system and get away with it.

So you think Bella Adenuga, daughter of Globacom/ETB/Conoil boss who spent N2b on her wedding will go to America and not pay her hospital bills? 
I know what you mean by some women (not only Nigerian, mind you) abusing the system but that is certaingly NOT the case here. You can start another thread about women that abuse the American health care system without linking or connecting it to Bella Adenuga.
Re: Pregnant Daughter Of Nigerian Billionaire Set To Deliver Baby In The Usa! Why? by denzel2009: 4:24pm On Feb 03, 2011
@Poster don't mind her, afterwards, she will be claiming child benefit. Why can't she have the baby in Igbobi like the rest of Nigerians. Shiorr
Re: Pregnant Daughter Of Nigerian Billionaire Set To Deliver Baby In The Usa! Why? by spikedcylinder: 4:27pm On Feb 03, 2011
denzel2009:

@Poster don't mind her, afterwards, she will be claiming child benefit. Why can't she have the baby in Igbobi like the rest of Nigerians. Shiorr

Lwtmb! Dem dey born pikin for igbobi ni? cheesy
Re: Pregnant Daughter Of Nigerian Billionaire Set To Deliver Baby In The Usa! Why? by tpia5: 5:56pm On Feb 03, 2011
una nor fit address the women wey dey do am, come dey attack bella sha.

@denzel2009

where in igbobi.
Re: Pregnant Daughter Of Nigerian Billionaire Set To Deliver Baby In The Usa! Why? by chic2pimp(m): 8:32pm On Feb 03, 2011
@Poster

Whilst I've got to admit that you do have a point(nigeria and their propensity to abuse any slight priviledge given to them), this is definitely the wrong thread to air your disgust and frustration on that subject.
Re: Pregnant Daughter Of Nigerian Billionaire Set To Deliver Baby In The Usa! Why? by Cougar2: 8:38pm On Feb 03, 2011
chic2pimp:

@Poster

Whilst I've got to admit that you do have a point(nigeria and their propensity to abuse any slight priviledge given to them), this is definitely the wrong thread to air your disgust and frustration on that subject.

bella's husband is an american citizen. even if the kid is delivered in osogbo - the baby will be an automatic american citizen(which rules out the opinion that they fled nigeria to acquire a special status for their child).
Re: Pregnant Daughter Of Nigerian Billionaire Set To Deliver Baby In The Usa! Why? by Nobody: 8:49am On Feb 04, 2011
denzel2009:

Lmao. That would be one very crippled 'orthopaedic' baby.
Re: Pregnant Daughter Of Nigerian Billionaire Set To Deliver Baby In The Usa! Why? by chic2pimp(m): 7:07pm On Feb 04, 2011
*Cougar*:

bella's husband is an american citizen. even if the kid is delivered in osogbo - the baby will be an automatic american citizen(which rules out the opinion that they fled nigeria to acquire a special status for their child).
Exactly. Tbh, considering the status of the unborn child's Grandfather, I doubt He/She needs the "Automatic American Citizenship" anyways.
Re: Pregnant Daughter Of Nigerian Billionaire Set To Deliver Baby In The Usa! Why? by favouredjb(f): 7:51pm On Feb 04, 2011
i wish her a safe delivery
Re: Pregnant Daughter Of Nigerian Billionaire Set To Deliver Baby In The Usa! Why? by blacksta(m): 9:16am On Feb 05, 2011
@Prince

Lame arguments grin
Re: Pregnant Daughter Of Nigerian Billionaire Set To Deliver Baby In The Usa! Why? by Nobody: 2:39pm On Feb 05, 2011
Panadol for another man's headache undecided So much grammer over an unborn child
Congrats jare Bella and Jamal
Re: Pregnant Daughter Of Nigerian Billionaire Set To Deliver Baby In The Usa! Why? by cold(m): 3:01pm On Feb 05, 2011
This Prince is not smiling angry grin
Re: Pregnant Daughter Of Nigerian Billionaire Set To Deliver Baby In The Usa! Why? by thameamead(f): 3:03pm On Feb 05, 2011
aysometin:

Panadol for another man's headache undecided So much grammer over an unborn child

GBAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Pregnant Daughter Of Nigerian Billionaire Set To Deliver Baby In The Usa! Why? by Tolulop001(f): 1:41pm On Mar 24, 2011
aysometin:

DOUBLE GBAM! ! !
Re: Pregnant Daughter Of Nigerian Billionaire Set To Deliver Baby In The Usa! Why? by Nobody: 3:00pm On Mar 24, 2011
HATERS
Re: Pregnant Daughter Of Nigerian Billionaire Set To Deliver Baby In The Usa! Why? by Ifystar: 2:36am On Sep 25, 2011
RUBBISH! RUBBISH!! RUBBISH!!!

Make una leave her to use her baa as she like.
Abi if na una, shey una no go travel out
Oshisco angry angry angry
Re: Pregnant Daughter Of Nigerian Billionaire Set To Deliver Baby In The Usa! Why? by lawlah7(f): 1:27pm On Sep 26, 2011
if Nigerians keep going abroad to deliver in order for their children to be citizens then i fear that the Nigerian specie will soon be extinct since most people wannabe citizens undecided, we need to stop this ooo cos as for me NAIJA TILL I DROP,

(1) (Reply)

Nollywood Diva, Ini Ikpe Marries Her American Based Sweetheart In Akwa Ibom / Checkout Photos Of E-money And His Securities At Lagos Airport Today / “I Finally Had Sex Today” – Bobrisky Announces To Fans

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.