Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,944 members, 7,952,809 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 03:09 AM

U.N. deems U.S. Drone Strike On Iran's Soleimani An unlawful Killing - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / U.N. deems U.S. Drone Strike On Iran's Soleimani An unlawful Killing (865 Views)

Iran Identifies 35 US Targets For Retaliatory Strikes After Soleimani's Death / President Rouhani Assures Soleimani’s Daughter Of Revenge (Photo) / Qassem Soleimani's Hand Before And After The Attack (Graphic Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

U.N. deems U.S. Drone Strike On Iran's Soleimani An unlawful Killing by dermmy(m): 6:22pm On Jul 07, 2020
GENEVA (Reuters) - The January U.S. drone strike in Iraq that killed top Iranian general Qassem Soleimani and nine other people represented a violation of international law, a U.N. human rights investigator said on Monday.

The United States has failed to provide sufficient evidence of an ongoing or imminent attack against its interests to justify the strike on Soleimani’s convoy as it left Baghdad airport, said Agnes Callamard, U.N. special rapporteur on extrajudicial, summary or arbitrary executions.

The attack violated the U.N. Charter, Callamard wrote in a report calling for accountability for targeted killings by armed drones and for greater regulation of the weapons.

“The world is at a critical time, and possible tipping point, when it comes to the use of drones. ... The Security Council is missing in action; the international community, willingly or not, stands largely silent,” Callamard, an independent investigator, told Reuters.

Callamard is due on Thursday to present her findings to the Human Rights Council, giving member states a chance to debate what action to pursue. The United States is not a member of the forum, having quit two years ago.

Soleimani, leader of the Revolutionary Guards’ Quds Force, was a pivotal figure in orchestrating Iran’s campaign to drive U.S. forces out of Iraq, and built up Iran’s network of proxy armies across the Middle East. Washington had accused Soleimani of masterminding attacks by Iranian-aligned militias on U.S. forces in the region.

“Major General Soleimani was in charge of Iran military strategy, and actions, in Syria and Iraq. But absent an actual imminent threat to life, the course of action taken by the U.S. was unlawful,” Callamard wrote in the report.

The Jan. 3 drone strike was the first known incident in which a nation invoked self-defense as a justification for an attack against a state actor in the territory of a third country, Callamard added.

Iran retaliated with a rocket attack on an Iraqi air base where U.S. forces were stationed. Hours later, Iranian forces on high alert mistakenly shot down a Ukrainian passenger airliner taking off from Tehran.

Iran has issued an arrest warrant for U.S. President Donald Trump and 35 others over Soleimani’s killing and has asked Interpol for help, Tehran prosecutor Ali Alqasimehr said on June 29, according to the semi-official Fars news agency.

Source:https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-iran-un-rights/un-expert-deems-us-drone-strike-on-irans-soleimani-an-unlawful-killing-idUSKBN2472TW

Cc: lalasticlala Mynd44 dominique

1 Like

Re: U.N. deems U.S. Drone Strike On Iran's Soleimani An unlawful Killing by kemicalreact: 6:26pm On Jul 07, 2020
Lol, watch DaddySidhan call you a terrorist grin grin

1 Like

Re: U.N. deems U.S. Drone Strike On Iran's Soleimani An unlawful Killing by dermmy(m): 6:33pm On Jul 07, 2020
kemicalreact:
Lol, watch DaddySidhan call you a terrorist grin grin

grin grin
Re: U.N. deems U.S. Drone Strike On Iran's Soleimani An unlawful Killing by Efewestern: 6:46pm On Jul 07, 2020
dermmy:

grin grin
Dermmy the terrorist grin.
You are trying engaging these people.

1 Like

Re: U.N. deems U.S. Drone Strike On Iran's Soleimani An unlawful Killing by Righteousness89(m): 6:56pm On Jul 07, 2020
The Koko is that the Man is gone!
Re: U.N. deems U.S. Drone Strike On Iran's Soleimani An unlawful Killing by Originality007: 8:16pm On Jul 07, 2020
[s]
dermmy:
GENEVA (Reuters) - The January U.S. drone strike in Iraq that killed top Iranian general Qassem Soleimani and nine other people represented a violation of international law, a U.N. human rights investigator said on Monday.

The United States has failed to provide sufficient evidence of an ongoing or imminent attack against its interests to justify the strike on Soleimani’s convoy as it left Baghdad airport, said Agnes Callamard, U.N. special rapporteur on extrajudicial, summary or arbitrary executions.

The attack violated the U.N. Charter, Callamard wrote in a report calling for accountability for targeted killings by armed drones and for greater regulation of the weapons.

“The world is at a critical time, and possible tipping point, when it comes to the use of drones. ... The Security Council is missing in action; the international community, willingly or not, stands largely silent,” Callamard, an independent investigator, told Reuters.

Callamard is due on Thursday to present her findings to the Human Rights Council, giving member states a chance to debate what action to pursue. The United States is not a member of the forum, having quit two years ago.

Soleimani, leader of the Revolutionary Guards’ Quds Force, was a pivotal figure in orchestrating Iran’s campaign to drive U.S. forces out of Iraq, and built up Iran’s network of proxy armies across the Middle East. Washington had accused Soleimani of masterminding attacks by Iranian-aligned militias on U.S. forces in the region.

“Major General Soleimani was in charge of Iran military strategy, and actions, in Syria and Iraq. But absent an actual imminent threat to life, the course of action taken by the U.S. was unlawful,” Callamard wrote in the report.

The Jan. 3 drone strike was the first known incident in which a nation invoked self-defense as a justification for an attack against a state actor in the territory of a third country, Callamard added.

Iran retaliated with a rocket attack on an Iraqi air base where U.S. forces were stationed. Hours later, Iranian forces on high alert mistakenly shot down a Ukrainian passenger airliner taking off from Tehran.

Iran has issued an arrest warrant for U.S. President Donald Trump and 35 others over Soleimani’s killing and has asked Interpol for help, Tehran prosecutor Ali Alqasimehr said on June 29, according to the semi-official Fars news agency.

Source:https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-iran-un-rights/un-expert-deems-us-drone-strike-on-irans-soleimani-an-unlawful-killing-idUSKBN2472TW

Cc: lalasticlala Mynd44 dominique
[/s]

You can still resurrect him grin
Re: U.N. deems U.S. Drone Strike On Iran's Soleimani An unlawful Killing by kemicalreact: 8:20pm On Jul 07, 2020
Originality007:
[s][/s]

You can still resurrect him grin
Is that all you have to say?
Re: U.N. deems U.S. Drone Strike On Iran's Soleimani An unlawful Killing by Originality007: 8:23pm On Jul 07, 2020
kemicalreact:
Is that all you have to say?

Say as how? Ok You want me to write a long epistle why a ruthless General should b resurrected? grin

Ok, may b I should ask you When will UN sanctioned iran for killing innocent peolpe in civilian Jet? Or do u want to tell me the live of General Suleiman is more valuable than those passengers in the jet the Iranian Gov shut down?

2 Likes

Re: U.N. deems U.S. Drone Strike On Iran's Soleimani An unlawful Killing by Oldoinyolengai(m): 8:48pm On Jul 07, 2020
Ironic! A dog trying to bite it's own tail.
Re: U.N. deems U.S. Drone Strike On Iran's Soleimani An unlawful Killing by VirginFinder: 10:02pm On Jul 07, 2020
Righteousness89:
The Kkoko is that the Mman is gone!
Re: U.N. deems U.S. Drone Strike On Iran's Soleimani An unlawful Killing by Olominira(m): 4:59am On Jul 08, 2020
[s]
Righteousness89:
[i]The Koko is that the Man is gone![[/s]/i]
Re: U.N. deems U.S. Drone Strike On Iran's Soleimani An unlawful Killing by kemicalreact: 6:22am On Jul 08, 2020
Originality007:

Say as how? Ok You want me to write a long epistle why a ruthless General should b resurrected? grin

[s]Ok, may b I should ask you When will UN sanctioned iran for killing innocent peolpe in civilian Jet? Or do u want to tell me the live of General Suleiman is more valuable than those passengers in the jet the Iranian Gov shut down?
[/s] Tell the UN to sanction the US for the Iranian jet they downed killing over 200 civilians while refusing to apologize for their mistake.

Iran apologized for their mistake and promised to compensate the families of the victims.

Besides, why is the General ruthless if I may ask I can see through your hypocrisy, just like your Uncle Sam. wink

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: U.N. deems U.S. Drone Strike On Iran's Soleimani An unlawful Killing by Whyem15: 12:10pm On Jul 08, 2020
Originality007:

Ok, may b I should ask you When will UN sanctioned iran for killing innocent peolpe in civilian Jet? Or do u want to tell me the live of General Suleiman is more valuable than those passengers in the jet the Iranian Gov shut down?
How is he a "ruthless General"? What did he do to deserve the term ruthless?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: U.N. deems U.S. Drone Strike On Iran's Soleimani An unlawful Killing by Originality007: 3:38pm On Jul 08, 2020
kemicalreact:
[/s] Tell the UN to sanction the US for the Iranian jet they downed killing over 200 civilians while refusing to apologize for their mistake.n

Iran apologized for their mistake and promised to compensate the families of the victims.

Besides, why is the General ruthless if I may ask ??[b][/b]? I can see through your hypocrisy, just like your Uncle Sam. wink

lolz...They apologize after several denials and unable to cover up their crime. they promise to compensate the families of the victim, which dey are yrt to fufill. we both no they will not cause rouge iran are known for nothing else than cheat and lies.

and as for d bolded, he was involved in killing of innocent Kurdish people both women and children, he was involved in killing of Iraqi protesters and surpress them, Collaboration in syrian Genocide that involved using of chemical attack,and more crimes he committed which i cant be mention so tell me what do we call such a man? A saint? grin grin

1 Like

Re: U.N. deems U.S. Drone Strike On Iran's Soleimani An unlawful Killing by Goodvibes007: 5:06pm On Jul 08, 2020
Trump is going to pull out of the UN too
Re: U.N. deems U.S. Drone Strike On Iran's Soleimani An unlawful Killing by Daddysidhan: 6:23pm On Jul 08, 2020
Dermmy Dermmy the Iranian military spokesman, have never seen you open a thread about your fellow terrorist killings in the northern Nigeria" your fellow supporter of APC are killing innocent people all over the world all in the name of religion" you have no problem because they are doing the right thing according to Qur'an abi.
The United Nations should have order for the arrest of the pilot if truly want to pacify the axis of evil called IRAN the most painful aspect is that the Iranian military can't recruit you as one of the willing tools ready to go the soleimani way. Keep wasting your time believing Iran with its speed boat navy Hurt the US in a full blown war. Terrorist Dermmy lols

Re: U.N. deems U.S. Drone Strike On Iran's Soleimani An unlawful Killing by kemicalreact: 6:26pm On Jul 08, 2020
Originality007:

lolz...They apologize after several denials and unable to cover up their crime. they promise to compensate the families of the victim, which dey are yrt to fufill. we both no they will not cause rouge iran are known for nothing else than cheat and lies.

and as for d bolded, he was involved in killing of innocent Kurdish people both women and children, he was involved in killing of Iraqi protesters and surpress them, Collaboration in syrian Genocide that involved using of chemical attack,and more crimes he committed which i cant be mention so tell me what do we call such a man? A saint? grin grin
I don't really have the time to start debunking your lies.

As for the chemical attack in Syria, check this

https://newspunch.com/chemical-weapons-attack-syria-false-flag/

Have a nice day wink

1 Like

Re: U.N. deems U.S. Drone Strike On Iran's Soleimani An unlawful Killing by kemicalreact: 6:27pm On Jul 08, 2020
Daddysidhan:
Dermmy Dermmy the Iranian military spokesman, have never seen you open a thread about your fellow terrorist killings in the northern Nigeria" your fellow supporter of APC are killing innocent people all over the world all in the name of religion" you have no problem because they are doing the right thing according to Qur'an abi.
The United Nations should have order for the arrest of the pilot if truly want to pacify the axis of evil called IRAN the most painful aspect is that the Iranian military can't recruit you as one of the willing tools ready to go the soleimani way. Keep wasting your time believing Iran with its speed boat navy Hurt the US in a full blown war. Terrorist Dermmy lols
grin grin grin

Cc Dermmy grin grin
Re: U.N. deems U.S. Drone Strike On Iran's Soleimani An unlawful Killing by Unnerve: 6:40pm On Jul 08, 2020
Osama bin Laden, lawful killing.
Quassem Soleimani, unlawful killing.

Only difference is the President who ordered it. Lol
Re: U.N. deems U.S. Drone Strike On Iran's Soleimani An unlawful Killing by dermmy(m): 7:14pm On Jul 08, 2020
kemicalreact:
grin grin grin
Cc Dermmy grin grin
That guy hates me so much grin
Re: U.N. deems U.S. Drone Strike On Iran's Soleimani An unlawful Killing by kemicalreact: 8:07pm On Jul 08, 2020
Originality007:

Here is a picture the media won't show you cos it doesn't suit their narratives. wink

1 Like

Re: U.N. deems U.S. Drone Strike On Iran's Soleimani An unlawful Killing by Nobody: 8:18pm On Jul 08, 2020
just to save face

(1) (Reply)

Breaking News: Rockets Fired At Israel From Lebanon / CNN Reporter Forced To Wear Hijab After The Fall Of Kabul To The Taliban (Pix) / Putin Denies Gorbachev A State Funeral And Will Stay Away

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.