Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,774 members, 7,820,710 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:00 PM

My NYSC Camp Experience - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / My NYSC Camp Experience (1262 Views)

My NYSC Camp Experience In Akwa Ibom State! / Lanre Amu: ‘My NYSC Experience At 54' / "My NYSC Camp Experience" – Owolabi Ajasa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My NYSC Camp Experience by scylentstorm(m): 3:52pm On Jul 08, 2020
"Kajuru!"

That was the first place that struck my mind when I saw Kaduna on my NYSC call-up letter. Kajuru is one of the twenty three local government areas in Kaduna. It is a Christian dominated area with some Muslims minority. The news that surrounded the area hitherto was quite unfavorable. There were series of religious clashes here and there — as this was what the media had had to feed us with. Therefore, having to embark on a long-distanced journey for the first time in a long while, I felt indifferent. The feeling was a mixed one.

I arrived camp on the 27th of March, the day camp officially opened. The 'reception' at the gate did not help in easing the tension and anxiety that accompanied me. "You are welcome to the BlackGold camp. Now place your bag on your head." A soldier commanded in a friendly tone that betrayed his sternness. I hurriedly lifted my bag to my head to avoid stories that touch. Amidst a feigned chuckle, I jugged into the camp. I was received by several groups of people who were there to help during the course of the registration processes.

The registrations, even though long and a bit tortuous did not take up to 3 hours. In no time, I was quickly settled on the BlackGold Camp, Kaduna. I was assigned to Platoon 9 where I would resume daily for camp routines.

For the camp routines, we were subjected to different kinds of activities that are alien to the common man outside. To start with, every corps member lived a regimented lifestyle. Everything was controlled. In fact, in the words of Lolo, the Kaduna State NYSC SAED Director (2019), "Here, you are told what to do, where to and how to do it!" Nothing was done according to ones own accord, except during siesta — and of course, the siesta too was regimented. However, as stressful (and oftentime annoying) as these may have seemed, they all have their merits. For instance, for the first time in a long while, I observed a kind of discipline in uniformity — one thing lacking in the Nigerian society. Indeed, while we often gloat over corruption as the bane of development in the country, we shy away from labelling indiscipline as a major cause. In camp, failure to adhere to some rules and directives would warrant a punishment, not minding whose ox was gored.

There was an incidence that got everyone on camp punished. During the Daily Entrepreneurial Program (commonly called SAED), an ex-corps member was invited to talk to us about life during and after NYSC. He called himself a motivational speaker and a life coach. In the process of talking, everyone grew so bored and annoyed at some things he said which we felt could only be taken on the surface. He was booed whe n he later removed a book to sell. This unruly behaviour from us angered the NYSC State Coordinator present that she punished us later in the night. We were all made to sit outside in the cold and dusty night for over 5 hours.

Beyond the above mentioned, there are series of activities in camp that exude virtues redefined. From the parade ground to the Man 'O War Special Squads, from the First Aid Group to the Band and OBS to the Kitchen, each groups had its distinct characteristics. If you are looking for focus and organization, the parade ground and Man 'O War (which I belonged) were places to be. Then there are the gallant Army officials whose duties consist in executing orders from the Camp Top Officials. These men were stern when the need arose and as well soft and friendly on other various occasions.

My most favorable moment on the Black Gold Camp was when I emerged 2nd position in the Essay Writing Competition, thus pocketing Ten Thousand Naira for myself. The topic of the essay was "My Camp Experience" which is what I have narrated right here.[/img]

Re: My NYSC Camp Experience by 0Brien: 4:37pm On Jul 08, 2020
Fellow Kaduna corper. Representing from 2012/13 Batch B.

I camped at Chikun LGA camp. Discipline is very high there honestly.

One time we were all in the parade ground listening to an address by the NYSC state coordinator and some top officials. We became very restless and impatient to leave because of an impending heavy downpour. Immediately they ended the address we hurriedly left the grounds, disregarding all protocols which requires top officials to depart first while we maintain parade formations.

When the rain started pouring heavily and we were all chilling in our hostels, soldier stated going round barking and chasing corpers out into the heavy rain. We were all forced to kneel under the rain thoroughly drenched and shivering. (Miraculously I escaped this)

Another time, some stubborn corpers ignored the lights-out bugle alarm and continued gallivanting in the mami markets until soldiers were forced to storm the market chasing corpers Into their hostel while some corpers ran into the bushes to hide.

The next day on parade ground, after the normal morning routines, all male corpers were separated aside and made to do frog jump round the field until our knees became so sore and painful that we couldnt even stand anymore. Come and see men weeping, wailing and begging for mercy. Some guys fainted and were carried off. We all couldn't walk properly many days after that. And of course, we always made sure to never misbehave again

1 Like

Re: My NYSC Camp Experience by scylentstorm(m): 5:01pm On Jul 08, 2020
0Brien:
Fellow Kaduna corper. Representing from 2012/13 Batch B.

I camped at Chikun LGA camp. Discipline is very high there honestly.

One time we were all in the parade ground listening to an address by the NYSC state coordinator and some top officials. We became very restless and impatient to leave because of an impending heavy downpour. Immediately they ended the address we hurriedly left the grounds, disregarding all protocols which requires top officials to depart first while we maintain parade formations.

When the rain started pouring heavily and we were all chilling in our hostels, soldier stated going round barking and chasing corpers out into the heavy rain. We were all forced to kneel under the rain thoroughly drenched and shivering. (Miraculously I escaped this)

Another time, some stubborn corpers ignored the lights-out buggle and continued walking about in the mami markets until soldiers were forced to storm the market chasing corpers Into their hostel while some corpers ran into the bushes to hide.

The next day on parade ground, after the normal morning routines, all male corpers were separated aside and made to do frog jump round the field until our knees became so sore and painful that we couldnt even stand anymore. Come and see men weeping, wailing and begging for mercy. Some guys fainted and were carried off. We all couldn't walk properly many days after that. And of course, we always made sure to never to misbehave again

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing. I served there 2019/2020.

1 Like

Re: My NYSC Camp Experience by Malik1338(m): 6:30pm On Jul 08, 2020
undecided I thought NYSC camp is all fun and all ..is this what I will be facing next year

1 Like

Re: My NYSC Camp Experience by scylentstorm(m): 10:46pm On Jul 08, 2020
Malik1338:
undecided I thought NYSC camp is all fun and all ..is this what I will be facing next year

Lol. It all depends on the camp actually. But then, you still have to brace yourself up for life there..

1 Like

Re: My NYSC Camp Experience by Nedlog01(m): 8:56pm On Jul 11, 2020
There is now a platform created to support and grow agricultural and food related brands. It is called The Chicken Farm. It is a site that connects buyers and sellers of chicken products. Products including: Poultry, Fast Food, Equipment, Manure, Feed etc can all be sold and bought on the site as long as they relate to chicken. Register with: www.thechickenfarm.com.ng/register/TCU20GOL4. It's all free.
It's for those in Nigeria.

(1) (Reply)

To All 2013 Batch C Posted To Zamfara State / Prospective NYSC Members To Stage Protest Today Over Delay(See Notice Of Letter) / NYSC Corps Member Organize Inter-school Quiz Competition For Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.