Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,098 members, 7,845,611 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 09:02 PM

A Balanced Write-up On Jonathan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Balanced Write-up On Jonathan (1487 Views)

Arms Deal Disbursements "I Was Acted On Jonathan's Instructions" .. Dasuki / Atiku Condemns Attack On Jonathan: "Office Of The President Must Be Respected" / Rivers State Crisis: A Balanced View By An Indigene (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Balanced Write-up On Jonathan by monkeyleg: 1:38pm On Feb 03, 2011
This is a fair assessment on the Man Jonathan,

But I am a bit worried about the following from Time magazine

And then there's corruption. Jonathan may have got the Bayelsa governorship through his boss' alleged misdeeds, but he is hardly free of the biggest impediment to progress in Nigeria: corruption. The election that saw Yar'Adua and Jonathan win office was described by the E.U. Election Observation Mission to Nigeria as "not credible" due to "lack of transparency and evidence of fraud," adding it had "no confidence in the results." Jonathan's 2007 declaration of $2.4 million in assets during the campaign also raised questions about how an academic and public servant could earn so much. Jonathan's wife Patience was indicted by the anti-corruption Economic and Financial Crimes Commission for money laundering in 2007. "He has a lot of baggage from the past," says Musa Rafsanjani, head of the Zero Corruption lobby group.

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1964192,00.html

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1964192,00.html#ixzz1CtnAQ5D7
Re: A Balanced Write-up On Jonathan by Barkono: 2:47pm On Feb 03, 2011
Hmmmm. Gej's supporters no go talk now o.
Re: A Balanced Write-up On Jonathan by hakanai(m): 2:57pm On Feb 03, 2011
where una dey ooo!!!GEJ supporters.Angel GEJ don shit for church ooo! make person come clean am sharp sharp!!!
abi una dey busy for aso rock counting the money for another share the money again!!!!!! grin
Re: A Balanced Write-up On Jonathan by blacksta(m): 3:39pm On Feb 03, 2011
Beaf and Family

We are waiting oooooo
Re: A Balanced Write-up On Jonathan by Nobody: 3:50pm On Feb 03, 2011
chei!! GEJ's presidential cork cleaners don fall my hand. Dem dey call una, make una no avoid dis thread oh.
Re: A Balanced Write-up On Jonathan by Kobojunkie: 3:50pm On Feb 03, 2011
[size=14pt]Jonathan's 2007 declaration of $2.4 million in assets during the campaign also raised questions about how an academic and public servant could earn so much. [/size]Jonathan's wife Patience was indicted by the anti-corruption Economic and Financial Crimes Commission for money laundering in 2007. "He has a lot of baggage from the past," says Musa Rafsanjani, head of the Zero Corruption lobby group.

Glad to see that is also noted.
Re: A Balanced Write-up On Jonathan by monkeyleg: 3:51pm On Feb 03, 2011
Dont mind beaf,

They are probably having cabinet meeting in Aso rock on how to respond.

These are serious questions that, will never get answered, but he would rather run around bad mouthing others. Let him respond to the suggestion that GEJ wealth is unexplained.

We need answers if he want to be taken seriously, after all we know how much Prof's are paid.
Re: A Balanced Write-up On Jonathan by tpia5: 4:38pm On Feb 03, 2011
no beaf yet?

he must be busy fighting and spewing crap elsewhere.
Re: A Balanced Write-up On Jonathan by monkeyleg: 4:59pm On Feb 03, 2011
Nope, they are having cabinet meeting on how to respond to these damaging questions
Re: A Balanced Write-up On Jonathan by blacksta(m): 5:46pm On Feb 03, 2011
Thief Badluck Jonathan and family - grin
Re: A Balanced Write-up On Jonathan by tpia5: 5:50pm On Feb 03, 2011
please dont tell me beaf actually hid in a cupboard when he saw this thread?

is he tired or did the sleep he's been missing catch up with him.

the guy stares bug-eyed at his screen all day.
Re: A Balanced Write-up On Jonathan by Beaf: 6:05pm On Feb 03, 2011
[size=14pt]RIBADU ON PATIENCE JONATHAN[/size]

Mallam, do you have anything to say to the controversy because it shocked quite a number of people about your purported exculpation of Mrs Jonathan - Patience Jonathan, there were some statements credited to you about,

Mallam Ribadu :, no this is about the Nuhu Ribadu that I am. A Nuhu Ribadu that has no sentiments against anybody or any individual. A Nuhu Ribadu who will be able to stand above everything and look at it on the basis of what is fair and just. A Nuhu Ribadu who can never crucify an individual simply because it is convenient

No its not crucifixion , if she has a case to answer,

[size=14pt]Mallam Ribadu : (Cuts in) Let me tell you. Wait  There was a never when I was in the EFCC when we ever invited that woman to come and make a statement. Why should I come out now simply because it is easy and convenient for one to say so. When I was in EFCC I never I never I never invited Mrs Jonathan for questioning or take her statement.[/size]

There was a time they were playing politics. And it was not just here, so many peope are being accused of things. Petition was going round - all over not just one person.

And at the time when I was making a presentation to the senate, I went with all petitions against people and the way we worked in EFCC is that if there's a petition against you, we look to see if there's substance in it, we can verify and see whether it was something that was worth looking into or there's nothing. A lot of the petitions were politically motivated. And therefore when I went to the senate, I showed them that these are some of the cases we have, we are looking into it. Some of them we were ready to go to court, some of them we were investigating, some of them were not investigatable. Thats what I said.

And then there was another case of sufficient transaction that has to do with Bayelsa State. About a woman who did a business with Bayela State- contract it was 70million Naira of sufficient fiduciary report that we got. We investigated it and there was nothing connected with Mrs Jonathan. Even as at that time those who were desperately looking to make a political mile out of every opportunity decided to use that to link it with them simply because they wanted to kick them out of office at that time. It's not me that can help people in political things. That's indeed that was what happened

[size=14pt]Up to this very moment I ask people to bring out the case file they talking about. While she was invited or take a statement or anything. And you want me to come out and because I'm contesting against them? no never.[/size]

.they didn't say she was invited,

Mallam Ribadu : (cuts in) Wait, wait I have to say something here. Let me tell you. I have to say something here. There was a time they said she was caught with 13million dollars. Financial Times reported International Media reported this and that. This was so unfair I decided to keep quiet that time because if I spoke, people will say it was because I was looking for a job with the Jonathan Government. I have got to a point where I have nothing against them. I am going to contest against them. I want to kick them out of that office. So this is the time for me to come out and be the honest person that I believe I am. To say the truth without gaining from it. That's indeed that was what happened

When I was confronted, when I declared my intention to contest elections. Somebody came to me from the media to ask what about the Jonathan case. I said no, I have never taken statement from this woman. I have never taken her in for anything. Why should people want to use me for their own ends. I'm not the kind of person you can use

I don't even understand the controversy and I'm shocked about it. Simply because she's president wife, therefore we say it is OK. What is it? What kind of country is that? it's not just, it's not fair. I will be the last person to be used to malign people simply because it is convenient. I would not do it.

http://www.nigeriavillagesquare.com/articles/nvs/candidate-interviews-2-mallam-nuhu-ribadu-unfiltered-full-text-and-audio.html
Re: A Balanced Write-up On Jonathan by Ikengawo: 8:14pm On Feb 03, 2011
I agree that this was very balanced. I want to see Nigerian journalism have this level of professionalism that's even rare in the US
Re: A Balanced Write-up On Jonathan by monkeyleg: 8:23pm On Feb 03, 2011
@Beaf,

You have been roasted this time around, political pygmy

Answer
Jonathan's 2007 declaration of $2.4 million in assets during the campaign also raised questions about how an academic and public servant could earn so much.

Abi, even Times should take panadol?
Re: A Balanced Write-up On Jonathan by ekubear1: 9:29pm On Feb 03, 2011
Goodthief Jonathan!

No wonder his Bayelsa state is so backwards. He stole all the money that was supposed to be used to develop it.
Re: A Balanced Write-up On Jonathan by johndoe200: 9:35pm On Feb 03, 2011
eku_bear:

Goodthief Jonathan!

No wonder his Bayelsa state is so backwards. He stole all the money that was supposed to be used to develop it.

Maybe you should not speak on things that you don't know about.
Re: A Balanced Write-up On Jonathan by Nobody: 10:58pm On Feb 03, 2011
the entire article

Nigeria's new acting president and commander in chief, Goodluck Jonathan waves to supporters.

Asked how his son came by his unusual name, Pa Ebele Jonathan once told a reporter that as soon as the boy was born, "I instinctively realized that this child has that element of fortune." Pa Jonathan, a canoe-maker from southern Nigeria, could not shake the thought. "I just said to myself, 'this boy is lucky,'" he said. "So I decided to call him Goodluck." The father's instinct proved true. But his son's good fortune would often come after the misfortune of others. In 1999, Goodluck Ebele Jonathan was elected deputy governor of Bayelsa province in the south — only to become governor when his boss was arrested for embezzlement. This week Jonathan, elected Vice President of Nigeria in 2007, has become acting president after the country's parliament decided his boss, Umaru Musa Yar'Adua, was too sick to rule.

Jonathan will need more than luck to fix Nigeria. His most pressing job is to re-energize the peace process in the oil-rich southern Delta region. Talks to end the decade-old conflict with Delta rebels — they say they are fighting for a fairer share of the revenues from their land, and are also angry about the pollution caused by oil spills — was a central thrust of Yar'Adua's early presidency. Six months ago, Yar'Adua persuaded the rebels to agree to a ceasefire and mass disarmament in return for an amnesty, a small monthly stipend, a 10% cut of all oil revenues and promises of large-scale development. (See pictures of the two sides of Nigeria)

But last November the president, a chain smoker who has been ill for years, left for Saudi for treatment for a heart condition from where he is yet to return, and the peace process — and all Nigeria — were left in limbo. In December, the main rebel group, the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND), announced it had lost patience with the delay and re-started its campaign of attacks on pipelines and installations and kidnappings of Western oil workers. A few thousand gunmen with a thing for shades, bandoliers and fast boats had the global price of crude back in their crosshairs.

The arrival of a functioning president might change that. Until this week, little was known about the self-effacing Jonathan save for his fondness for a natty black fedora. But there are reasons to believe the 52-year-old might succeed in the Delta. His family is from the southern Ijaw tribe — the first time the rebels have been able to talk to one of their own in the presidency. And he knows his homeland. In 2007, Edwin Clark, a longtime mentor and powerful backer to Jonathan, took the then newly elected vice president to the wild and dangerous creeks of the Niger Delta. "He met some of the militant leaders," says Clark. "He is aware of their demands, their aspirations and he is aware of everything, the neglect of our people."

Jonathan is also well acquainted with the environmental damage oil has done to the Delta. He studied zoology, and later taught it at a university in the oil hub of Port Harcourt. He also once worked as an environmental protection officer in the region. "He will perform," says Clark, a political powerbroker in the south and then man who persuaded Jonathan to stand for vice president. (See if a military coup would help Nigeria.)

As if to prove how seriously he takes the issue, Jonathan's second action (after sacking the justice minister, who had campaigned most noisily against his promotion) was to call a meeting with the oil majors in Nigeria. The peace process was his top priority, he told executives from Chevron, ExxonMobil and Royal Dutch Shell. The rebels have already responded. On Feb. 12, MEND commander Mack Anthony told TIME he had declared a new 90-day ceasefire.

But knowing a problem is not the same as solving it. [b]Some doubt Jonathan has the charisma to succeed [/b]where so many predecessors — both civilian and military — have failed. Even Clark, who describes his protégé as "very humble, gentle, respectful and incorruptible; very quiet and intelligent," concedes that, "sometimes I felt he was rather too gentle to be effective."

And while Jonathan's southern origin may please the rebels, it is likely to annoy the northern Muslim political elite, which has dominated Nigeria's politics for decades. In the strange way of Abuja, the capital, this presidency was meant to be for a northerner. But with Yar'Adua sick and a southern Christian back in power, Nigeria's sectarian divide — which frequently results in large scale Christian-Muslim pogroms — could worsen. "I have no confidence in his leadership," Dr. Baba Ahmed, secretary general of the Supreme Council for Shariah in Nigeria, told TIME. "Jonathan is a frontline member of the Pentecostal church, which is the most vocal against Muslims."

The septuagenarian Clark, who has suddenly become one of the most influential men in Africa, is another factor. Nigerian leaders often come with a powerful mentor working behind the scenes; a backer whose office is the only way to get to the big guy. On Feb. 11, two days after his protégé took office, a mass of Nigeria's rich, powerful and wannabes — parliamentarians, former ministers, ex-governors, a former police chief and even the head of a state-owned television station — crowded into the expansive living room of Clark's Abuja mansion. Clark sensed his growing power. "I am [Jonathan's] political godfather," he told TIME, regarding the melee at his house with evident relish. (See how big of a threat are "Nigeria's Taliban."wink

And then there's corruption. Jonathan may have got the Bayelsa governorship through his boss' alleged misdeeds, but he is hardly free of the biggest impediment to progress in Nigeria: corruption. The election that saw Yar'Adua and Jonathan win office was described by the E.U. Election Observation Mission to Nigeria as "not credible" due to "lack of transparency and evidence of fraud," adding it had "no confidence in the results." Jonathan's 2007 declaration of $2.4 million in assets during the campaign also raised questions about how an academic and public servant could earn so much. Jonathan's wife Patience was indicted by the anti-corruption Economic and Financial Crimes Commission for money laundering in 2007. "He has a lot of baggage from the past," says Musa Rafsanjani, head of the Zero Corruption lobby group.

Baggage has a habit of slowing a leader down — just what Nigeria does not need. "He owes all Nigerians a duty to act fast," Lagos-based Guardian daily newspaper said in an editorial two days after his appointment. Or as the rebel commander Mack Anthony says: "Our man being at the helm does not mean our target has been achieved. If within 90 days Jonathan does not perform, we will go back to the creeks to re-launch the militancy.

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1964192,00.html#ixzz1Cw3EfBbz
Re: A Balanced Write-up On Jonathan by ekubear1: 11:16pm On Feb 03, 2011

The father's instinct proved true. But his son's good fortune would often come after the misfortune of others. In 1999, Goodluck Ebele Jonathan was elected deputy governor of Bayelsa province in the south — only to become governor when his boss was arrested for embezzlement. This week Jonathan, elected Vice President of Nigeria in 2007, has become acting president after the country's parliament decided his boss, Umaru Musa Yar'Adua, was too sick to rule.

Seems very suspicious, no?

Perhaps GEJ is an occultist
Re: A Balanced Write-up On Jonathan by Kobojunkie: 11:21pm On Feb 03, 2011

There is nothing to hide, as you can very well see," he added. The total worth of Jonathan's private residences is N67, 990,000 according to the declaration, which is already with the Code of Conduct Bureau. The residences include a four- bedroom duplex in Kpansia, Yenagoa, Bayelsa State, valued at N15 million; a four-flat storey building extension of the family house in Yenagoa valued at N10 million; and a four-flat storey building. The rest are his seven bedroom village personal home at Otuoke, Ogbia Local Government Area, which was bombed days before his inauguration as Vice President, valued at N18 million and a five-bedroom personal residence in Gwarinpa, Abuja valued at N24, 990,000. Under the vehicles and household items, the Vice President declared assets of N41.8 million. They include a BMW car in Abuja valued at N15 million, generators, electronics, air conditioners, furniture, kitchen utensils and others in Kpansia, Yenagoa and Gwarimpa, Abuja valued at N26 million. The BMW car was declared as a gift while the other items were declared to have been procured from savings. Jonathan also declared vacant and undeveloped plots of his to the tune of N60.538 million. They include five undeveloped plots of land in Bayelsa State, two undeveloped plots of land in Cadastral Zone BO2 and AO6 in Abuja. He disclosed also a yearly income of N62, 072, 200. These comprise investments in stocks in 16 Nigerian blue chip companies managed by City-Code Trust & Investment Company Limited. His investments also cover four 16-seater passenger boats which he hires to companies and other agencies. The Vice President's total cash in Nigerian banks (Bank PHB, Union Bank of Nigeria Plc, UBA and others) is put at N58, 984, 123. He stated that the total income includes personal savings and income from his investments including performing stocks and hiring of the boats. Niboro said the assets declared do not include those of the Vice President's wife.

http://twinstaiye..com/2007/08/at-last-vp-goodluck-jonathan-declare.html
Re: A Balanced Write-up On Jonathan by monkeyleg: 12:49pm On Feb 04, 2011
Still no congent answer from Beaf and co.
Re: A Balanced Write-up On Jonathan by PapaBrowne(m): 7:42pm On Feb 04, 2011
monkeyleg:

Still no congent answer from Beaf and co.
There is no better answer than the one given by Ribadu which Beaf has posted!! Ribadu's answer should serve as the last word on all these stupid beer parlor allegations for two straight reasons! 1) Ribadu wants Jonathan's job and should naturally use these to his advantage if they werew true! But no, he didn't because they are not true! 2)Ribadu knows better than any other Nigerian if these corruption allegations are true or not! He said They are not true!! Period!!
Re: A Balanced Write-up On Jonathan by monkeyleg: 9:15pm On Feb 04, 2011
@Papabrowne,

there is still the matter of where $2.4 milliom worht of assest came from?
Re: A Balanced Write-up On Jonathan by tlops(m): 2:00pm On Feb 17, 2011
monkeyleg:

@Papabrowne,

there is still the matter of where $2.4 milliom worht of assest came from?

it was "post declared", to cover for his future looting as a VP, had he known he would be president he would have declared in billions.
Re: A Balanced Write-up On Jonathan by karlmax2: 1:10am On Feb 18, 2011
Goodluck Ebele Jonathan, Ph.D

Posted to the web: 11/16/2005 6:42:44 PM

PROFILE OF HIS EXCELLENCY GOODLUCK EBELE JONATHAN Ph.D.

Dr.Goodluck Ebele Jonathan (see CV), is a man of great honour and outstanding integrity. He is true statesman, whose meritocracy, selfless services and exemplary leadership qualities bear eloquent testimonies to his professional and political successes

His Excellency, Dr. Goodluck Ebele Jonathan, a man with great quest for knowledge holds a Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) Honours, University of Port Harcourt, Master of Science (M.Sc.) and Doctor of Philosophy

(Ph.D.) from University of Port Harcourt respectively. He is seasoned administrator, an academic, a democrat, and an accomplished technocrat and indeed the Deputy Governor of Bayelsa State.

Dr.Jonathan holds an Honorary Fellowship of the Nigeria Environmental Society (NES), Fellow of the Public Administrators of Nigeria (PAN),

Fellow of the International Association of Impact Assessment (IAIA), Bona Fide Member Fisheries Society of Nigeria (FISON). awarded "Best Performing Deputy Governor", and conferred "Exemplary Leadership Quality and Good Governance Award". And recently, he was given an

Honorary Award for Democracy and Good Governance. A native of Otuoke in Ogbia Local Government Area of Bayelsa State � Nigeria, Goodluck Ebele Jonathan was born November 20th, 1957, to the family of Mr. and Mrs. Ebele Jonathan. He was amply endowed with intelligence, strength and tact right from childhood, even though his parents were of a humble social background. Young Goodluck started his primary education at St. Stephen Primary School (now State School � Otuoke) and later proceeded to St Michael Primary School � Oloibiri where he passed his First School Leaving Certificate honourably. In 1971, the young lad furthered his studies at Mater Dei High School � Imiringi and by 1975, he sat for the West African School Certificate and passed with flying colours.

Goodluck Jonathan was identified to be a great child right from his tender age because of his attributes and rare disposition. No wonder, his paternal grand mother "nicknamed" him "Azikiwe" as a striking simile to the great Zik to connote another great Nigerian to come in the nearest future. Goodluck was appointed Class Prefect in class three in 1973, he was further appointed Secretary to the School Food Committee, because of his brilliant disposition. And in his class four and five, he was again appointed Masterson House Prefect while his fellow prefects unanimously elected him as Chairman of the Committee of Prefects.

With his sparkling performance and enduring milieu, young Goodluck soon secured a job as a Preventive Officer in the Department of Customs and Excise from 1975 to 1977.

However, because of his dogged quest for academic knowledge, Goodluck Jonathan promptly enrolled as a pioneer student in the department of Zoology at the newly established University of Port Harcourt, in 1977. He pursued his studies with impregnable zeal and by 1981 he graduated with a B.Sc. (Hons.) Second Class (Upper Division). As a Corper, he served Nigeria devotedly between 1981 and 1982 as a classroom teacher in Community Secondary School Iresi � Oyo State (now Osun State). After the mandatory service, Goodluck Jonathan was invited for a teaching appointment by the old Rivers State Civil Service Commission in 1982, he was however, appointed a Science Inspector of Education in the Ministry of Education because of his brilliant and intimidating performance at the interview.

Dr. Goodluck Jonathan always knew that he had a bond with the academia that he cannot dispute. Hence, he soon left the mainstream Civil Service for the College of Education where he took up an appointment as an academic in the Department of Biology in November 1983. Again, because of his disciplined nature and dedication to duty, he was elected as the Representative of Congress in the Senior Staff Appointments and Promotions Committee. A position he held till he voluntarily left the College in 1993. To equip himself firmly ahead of the foresighted challenges, he enrolled again for a post graduate programme in the University of Port Harcourt.

He bagged a well-deserved Master of Science (M.Sc.) Degree in Hydro-Biology and Fisheries Biology and Doctor of Philosophy in Zoology in 1985 and 1995 respectively.

More so, Dr. Goodluck Jonathan later picked an appointment as an Assistant Director in the defunct Oil Mineral Producing Areas Development Commission (OMPADEC), in March 1993. He was deployed to the Directorate of Environmental Protection and Pollution Control where he was directing the affairs of the Environmental Protection Sub-Department.

Dr. Jonathan is a member of various professional bodies, including the Fisheries Society of Nigeria (FISON), he is a Fellow of the International Association of Impact Assessment (IAIA), a Fellow of the Public Administrators of Nigeria (PAN), and he was also awarded the prestigious Honorary Fellowship of the Nigerian Environmental Society, following his stride�s contributions towards Environmental Management.

Also, his dedication to service, eventful life devoted entirely to humanity and monumental achievements as an accomplished leader earned him the "Best Performing Deputy Governor Award in the Federation in 2002, by the Institute of Public Administration of Nigeria (IPAN). Similarly, the National Association of Women in Education Development further honoured him with the Award of "Exemplary Leadership Quality and Good Governance" in July 2003. In further recognition of his dedication to service, the NUJ Abuja Council conferred on him a prestigious Honorary Award for Democracy and Good Governance.
Re: A Balanced Write-up On Jonathan by Kobojunkie: 1:21am On Feb 18, 2011
tlops:

it was "post declared", to cover for his future looting as a VP, had he known he would be president he would have declared in billions.

ROFLMAO!!!

(1) (Reply)

Meet Goodluck Jonathan / Japanese Highway Rebuilt In Three Days. Lagos-ibadan Highway Rebuilt In : / The SE Must Get Either The Senate President Or Speaker Of House Of Rep

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.