Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,554 members, 7,819,962 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:34 AM

COVID-19: How Weak Laws, Poverty Worsen GBV In During Lockdown - A Must Read!!! - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / COVID-19: How Weak Laws, Poverty Worsen GBV In During Lockdown - A Must Read!!! (120 Views)

Lady Dies After Posting "If I Die During Lockdown No Need For Autopsy" / COVID-19: How Long Can Nigeria Be On Lockdown? / Lockdown: A Picture Of Jakande Lekki Axis At Night (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

COVID-19: How Weak Laws, Poverty Worsen GBV In During Lockdown - A Must Read!!! by ICIRnews: 1:27pm On Jul 11, 2020
MONDAY June 15 was a dark day for Habiba Auwalu (not real name) who hawks awara (a local cake produced from soya beans) at the Staff Quarters of the Federal Medical Centre Azare, in the North Eastern State of Bauchi. Habiba, 13, abandoned school for hawking in order to help raise money in support of her mother who lost her husband in March. On the morning of that faithful Monday, the teenager was lured into her predator's den through the exigencies of her trade and got raped, by Umaru Yahaya, the CMD's cook.

"He placed an order for Awara, while taking it to him, a friend accompanied me. Upon arrival, I could see some frustration in his face, so he angrily asked me why I came with a friend. He said I should have come alone. " He then withheld the money and asked me to return later so I would have it.

"He warned that if I come back with my friend again, he will not pay for the cake, so I decided to go back alone in order to have my money.

"When I went back, he dragged me into a room where he defiled me; warning that if I dare let it out, he would chuck me with knife till I die and then I will be dismembered completely and nothing would happen to him", Habiba narrates her predicament with shaking voice and teary face.

Habiba was defiled by a cook of the Chief Medical Director Federal Medical Centre Azare, Dr. Abdullahi Ibrahim Bichi, at his residence.

What is more appalling is the dismissal of a security guard who exposed Habiba's predator.

READ MORE: https://www.icirnigeria.org/covid-19-weak-laws-poverty-worsen-gender-based-violence-in-bauchi-during-lockdown-part-1/

Re: COVID-19: How Weak Laws, Poverty Worsen GBV In During Lockdown - A Must Read!!! by Authoreety: 1:52pm On Jul 11, 2020
Justice for habiba

(1) (Reply)

Social Media Platforms: Useful Tools For Social Well-being. / Brazil Coronavirus Cases Near Two Million / A Baby Still In The Womb Contracts COVID-19, In France.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.