Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,382 members, 7,819,393 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:28 PM

APGA To Adopt Jonathan February 10 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / APGA To Adopt Jonathan February 10 (3938 Views)

Adopt Jonathan’s National Conference Report – Bakare Tells Buhari / Awolowo Nominated Nnamdi Azikiwe - 'West African Pilot', February 10, 1961 (Pic) / Lagos APGA To Adopt Ambode As Governorship Candidate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

APGA To Adopt Jonathan February 10 by Beaf: 11:57pm On Feb 03, 2011
[size=14pt]APGA to adopt Jonathan February 10[/size]
•Jonathan is sure of victory, says Suswam
•I'm open to dialogue, Atiku assures President
By Sunny Igboanugo and Mark Mayah, Lagos

Vice President Namadi  Sambo (right); Ogun State Governor, Gbenga Daniel; Nestle Nigeria Chairman, Segun Osunkeye; and Nestle Worldwide Chief Executive, Paul Bulcke (left); at the commissioning of  Flowergate factory in Sagamu ,  on Thursday.

Support for Goodluck Jonathan’s  run for President was ramped up on the two sides of River Niger on Thursday: from an unlikely camp in the South East, and from his anchorman  in the North Central, Governor Gabriel Suswam of Benue State.

Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar, his opponent at the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) primaries on January 13, equally responded to overtures, saying he is open to dialogue with the Jonathan camp.

It has emerged that the All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA) will on February 10 adopt Jonathan as its Presidential candidate at a meeting of its National Executive Committee (NEC) and the National Working Committee (NWC) in Awka.

Invitation to the meeting through text messages were sent to APGA members on Wednesday.

Those expected to attend include state Chairmen and Secretaries, Governorship  candidates, and all others seeking elective offices in April.

APGA chieftain, Kennedy Ogbuagu, who is expected to attend the meeting,  said the desire of APGA to adopt  Jonathan as its Presidential candidate is to allow him complete the “good works” he started since his assumption of office.

He added: “The emergency meeting is predicated on the truism that Goodluck Jonathan has done well. We need to support him in all ramifications so as to move Nigeria forward.

“The APGA had assessed all the Presidential candidates and concluded that Jonathan is the man for Nigeria.’’

Ogbuagu urged other political parties to emulate APGA’s  position, as “the unity of Nigeria is paramount.’’   

For Suswam in Benue, Jonathan winning the election is foreclosed because there is  hardly any contest.

He told reporters in Makurdi that Jonathan’s  Presidency is a national consensus which has caught on in all parts  of the country.

Suswam, the North Central Co-ordinator of the Jonathan Campaign, noted that Nigerians have already decided on who to support.

“There is no other candidate who can give the President a fight from  what I have seen. There is a national consensus on him to continue in  office. You saw what happened at the convention in Abuja,” he argued.

“What you saw in Abuja  was not a fluke. You saw how the North, which is believed was the backbone of  his opponent, voted for him more than the South.

“That is what is going to happen in the main election. There is definitely a  national consensus that there should be a shift from the old order where  ethnicity and religion were employed to divide the country.

“And I think it is a  good thing for the country. I can assure you that at the main election, the  North will vote for Jonathan more than the South.”

On Wednesday, acting PDP National Chairman, Bello Mohammed, implored Atiku and and PDP members who failed to win primaries to bury the hatched and rally together to win the big one in April.

Atiku responded on Thursday by saying that his group is amenable to dialogue.

A statement issued on his behalf by his Media Office in Abuja said the group which put him forward for the Presidential ticket is prepared for discussion but will not succumb to propaganda against Atiku and his supporters.

“Instead of this rigmarole by busy bodies, I believe that an appropriate response should be to open a window for negotiation on how to strengthen our party for the challenges ahead,” Atiku stated.

He recalled that he had informed the country and his associates that he was consulting on the outcome of the primaries and that his position would be made known to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).

Atiku wondered why it has become a full time job for some people to force him to concede victory to Jonathan.

He noted that with his Campaign Organisation having listed its complaints against the primaries, the media and those hiding under their cover should patiently await its resolution.

He said it is blackmail to force a man to take any action without evaluating its effects on his group, loyalists, associates, and supporters.

Atiku urged those who feel strongly about the situation to open discussion with his camp instead of engaging in harassment.

But, he stressed, “If those who have won the so-called victory are confident of the genuineness of their victory, they should go on.”

He restated his commitment to democracy, the rule of law, credible elections, national unity, political stability, as well as Nigeria’s progress and development.

He reaffirmed the loyalty of his Campaign Organisation to the PDP and its objectives.

http://www.independentngonline.com/DailyIndependent/Article.aspx?id=28302
Re: APGA To Adopt Jonathan February 10 by EzeUche2(m): 12:02am On Feb 04, 2011
Beaf this must be good news for you. cheesy

I hope you see how we Igbos are the friends of the Niger Deltans. We even adopted GEJ. This is a Pan-Niger Delta movement.
Re: APGA To Adopt Jonathan February 10 by EzeUche2(m): 12:03am On Feb 04, 2011
On a side note, APGA probably made a deal with GEJ to insure that their are free and fair elections in the South-East. Maybe APGA may sweep the South-East. I hope they pick up Imo and Abia State.
Re: APGA To Adopt Jonathan February 10 by Beaf: 12:09am On Feb 04, 2011
EzeUche: Beaf this must be good news for you.   

I hope you see how we Igbos are the friends of the Niger Deltans. We even adopted GEJ. This is a Pan-Niger Delta movement.

I have always campaigned that the SS and SE share the same politics, all the squabbles of the past were self defeating and have been used by the cabal to keep both sides down. We have to look at politics from a higher perspective than some of the absolutely ridiculous claims that were floating around the SE and SS.

I pray that GEJ really performs for the SE, in order to totally and permanently seal what should be a natural family bond.
Re: APGA To Adopt Jonathan February 10 by EzeUche2(m): 12:11am On Feb 04, 2011
Beaf:

I have always campaigned that the SS and SE share the same politics, all the squabbles of the past were self defeating and have been used by the cabal to keep both sides down. We have to look at politics from a higher perspective than some of the absolutely ridiculous claims that were floating around the SE and SS.

I pray that GEJ really performs for the SE, in order to totally and permanently seal what should be a natural family bond.

I support this motion 100%

For far too long, people have tried to divide us, but thank God many of our people have realized that our differences are small compared to the shared culture and histories.
Re: APGA To Adopt Jonathan February 10 by dempeople(m): 3:35am On Feb 04, 2011
Beaf:

Yes o. But I hope there was a powerful deal struck behind the scenes rather than APGA coming out of this deal empty handed with verbal promises of this or that. Ndigbo want concrete deals of what will benefit us and not verbal promises. It's during these times that I really miss Ikemba's presence. First and most importantly, APGA should (be made to) sweep the SE. And then any mergers or mutual support between both parties, can go ahead to the mutual benefit of both parties. I say this because, its all politics.

If APGA doesn't sweep the SE then Ndigbo wouldn't have anything to fall back on, should there be disappointments along the way by PDP. Secondly, although it looks good on the surface, APGA should shine their eyes cos the real motive of some PDP chieftains is to really hijack APGA - especially now that Ikemba isn't on ground.

With all this support for GEJ from Ndigbo -who I really believe form the backbone of his support, there should be reciprocations ooooo. I'm still wary of things.
Re: APGA To Adopt Jonathan February 10 by nduchucks: 3:59am On Feb 04, 2011
If this deal is actualized, we'll have to declare Checkmate, unfortunately.
Re: APGA To Adopt Jonathan February 10 by aljharem(m): 4:02am On Feb 04, 2011
EzeUche_:

Beaf this must be good news for you. cheesy

dumb

Beaf:

dumber
Re: APGA To Adopt Jonathan February 10 by Onlytruth(m): 4:06am On Feb 04, 2011
I really believe that there must be something on the ground politically for Ndigbo. I don't see why all the top Igbo leaders should be queuing behind GEJ unless something's up.

My hope is that whatever is behind it is something enduring, like creating a solid political base upon which to build the Nigeria of the future.  That base should originate in the SE and SS and incorporate middlebelt initially, before branching out to west and north. Something like this picture. .

Re: APGA To Adopt Jonathan February 10 by dayokanu(m): 4:09am On Feb 04, 2011
^^ Remember how they queued up behind OBJ and what came out of it
Re: APGA To Adopt Jonathan February 10 by aljharem(m): 4:10am On Feb 04, 2011
dayokanu:

gbamm

also queued up behind ibb when he wanted the PDP ticket
Re: APGA To Adopt Jonathan February 10 by seanet02: 4:10am On Feb 04, 2011
The very day he appointed ojukwus wife as an advicer on diaspora issues, i knew something has exchanged hands. This ibos sef the same GEJ that sees nothing wrong in hausas killing many ibo traders in Jos is whom they find suitable to vote for, APGA mean Any Public Gullible Arse
Re: APGA To Adopt Jonathan February 10 by Muza(m): 4:14am On Feb 04, 2011
sell-outs,apga is dead and gone for good
Re: APGA To Adopt Jonathan February 10 by Onlytruth(m): 4:16am On Feb 04, 2011
Posted by: dayokanu

If you meant the way AD queued up behind OBJ and did not field a candidate, then yes you are correct!

Wetin dey dia?
Re: APGA To Adopt Jonathan February 10 by Kobojunkie: 4:16am On Feb 04, 2011
embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed cry cry cry cry
Re: APGA To Adopt Jonathan February 10 by Chyz2: 4:17am On Feb 04, 2011
I knew there had to be a hatin yoruba on here.im glad to see our effect.lol. Igbo Keleni! cheesy
Re: APGA To Adopt Jonathan February 10 by Onlytruth(m): 4:18am On Feb 04, 2011
^^

Ya! cool cool cool
Re: APGA To Adopt Jonathan February 10 by aljharem(m): 4:19am On Feb 04, 2011
Kobojunkie:

embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed cry cry cry cry

you can feel those emotions again
cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry sad sad sad embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed

i pity my people
Re: APGA To Adopt Jonathan February 10 by aljharem(m): 4:19am On Feb 04, 2011
Chyz*:

I knew there had to be a hatin yoruba on here.im glad to see our effect.lol. Igbo Keleni! cheesy

Yaaaa!!!!!

kwezoun cool cool
Re: APGA To Adopt Jonathan February 10 by dempeople(m): 4:23am On Feb 04, 2011
^^^^^^^^

You two-faced devil. Always on the fence attacking both backyards. Do you even ever have a base?

Anyhow, Ndigbo are moving forward. . .much to the annoyance of some people here.
Re: APGA To Adopt Jonathan February 10 by dayokanu(m): 4:24am On Feb 04, 2011
Onlytruth:

If you meant the way AD queued up behind OBJ and did not field a candidate, then yes you are correct!

Wetin dey dia?  

2007- follow YarA dua

2003, Follow OBJ

1999 Follow OBJ

1993 Follow Tofa

1979 Follow Shagari

Are you admitting no one is good enough in the whole SE to contest for presidency and get the support of the group.

Why cant APGA field its own candidate and support him/her?

You wonder why the PDP still take SE and SE votes for granted?
Re: APGA To Adopt Jonathan February 10 by Kobojunkie: 4:26am On Feb 04, 2011
^^^^Because APGA, and honest Ibos out there, know that non of there politicians are  able, to win votes outside of the SE(not SS not included) still. This is not to say the problem is unique to the ibos.
Re: APGA To Adopt Jonathan February 10 by Chyz2: 4:26am On Feb 04, 2011
The south-south and the south-east might as well act a one,it will serve them better. After all, that is what the NW and NE do.
Re: APGA To Adopt Jonathan February 10 by aljharem(m): 4:27am On Feb 04, 2011
dem_people:

^^^^^^^^

You two-faced devil. Always on the fence attacking both backyards. Do you even ever have a base?

Anyhow, Ndigbo are moving forward. . .much to the annoyance of some people here.

them-people, i have tolerated your insult but i have kept it cool, when i start you will not like it

chyz praised igbo and i said yaaa,., does that mean i do not have my opinion undecided angry angry
Re: APGA To Adopt Jonathan February 10 by Onlytruth(m): 4:29am On Feb 04, 2011

Why couldn't AD field its own candidate in 2003?

You are dodging your own history. undecided undecided
Re: APGA To Adopt Jonathan February 10 by aljharem(m): 4:29am On Feb 04, 2011
dayokanu:

2007- follow YarA dua

2003, Follow OBJ

1999 Follow OBJ

1993 Follow Tofa

1979 Follow Shagari

Are you admitting no one is good enough in the whole SE to contest for presidency and get the support of the group.

gbam

and that is what annoy me the most angry

yet we complain about marginazation angry
Re: APGA To Adopt Jonathan February 10 by dayokanu(m): 4:31am On Feb 04, 2011
Onlytruth:

Why couldn't AD field its own candidate in 2003?

You are dodging your own history. undecided undecided

AD didnt field any candidate in 2003 because a Yoruba man was already in the contest vs a Hausa man and it would be counter productive to the Yoruba nation to divide SW votes.

Now answer yours
Re: APGA To Adopt Jonathan February 10 by Onlytruth(m): 4:35am On Feb 04, 2011

AD didnt field any candidate in 2003 because a Yoruba man was already in the contest vs a Hausa man and it would be counter productive to the Yoruba nation to divide SW votes.

Now answer yours

Because we want to support our fellow easterner whom YOUR PEOPLE always accuse Ndigbo of marginalizing, by ALWAYS yapping about "the Eyo Ita issue". Now you are pretending not to know what we are doing.

You are lucky to have one tribe in your region (SW today = Western Nigeria of 60s when Nigeria was more balanced and stable), SE and part of SS today = Eastern region of 60s when things were more balanced.
Nigeria still operates that way, though surreptitiously.

I pity any easterner that listen to you guys I swear.  undecided undecided undecided
Re: APGA To Adopt Jonathan February 10 by EzeUche2(m): 4:39am On Feb 04, 2011
I have love for my Eastern brothers. GEJ is from the old Eastern Region, so of course we will support the man. When the going gets tough, and we all know it will be tough with him, he will always have a home in the East.

My hand is even extending to the good people of Edo State as well. Join us as Niger Deltan brothers.

This is the era of good feelings for the South-East and South-South.  cool

Beaf is my brother.
Re: APGA To Adopt Jonathan February 10 by dempeople(m): 4:44am On Feb 04, 2011
alj harem:

them-people, i have tolerated your insult but i have kept it cool, when i start you will not like it

chyz praised igbo and i said yaaa,., does that mean i do not have my opinion undecided angry angry

Send your insults as you please but never ever sit on the fence and throw stones. From the tone and rhetoric of your posts, you're here to divide southerners especially Ndigbo but unfortunately for you, we're uniting.

dayokanu:

2007- follow YarA dua

2003, Follow OBJ

1999 Follow OBJ

1993 Follow Tofa

1979 Follow Shagari

APGA hasn't got the necessary political clout as for now (as they were outrigged in 2003) but its growing in popularity as its envisaged that they'll sweep the SE. When you have more states under a particular party then targeting such a political office would be logical. I guess that's why PDP is reaching out to APGA eventhough we have just Anambra. Its because they know how politically strong APGA would be in 2011.
Re: APGA To Adopt Jonathan February 10 by aljharem(m): 4:44am On Feb 04, 2011
EzeUche_:

I have love for my Eastern brothers. GEJ is from the old Eastern Region, so of course we will support the man. When the going gets tough, and we all know it will be tough with him, he will always have a home in the East.

My hand is even extending to the good people of Edo State as well. Join us as Niger Deltan brothers.

This is the era of good feelings for the South-East and South-South.  cool

Beaf is my brother.
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin lol

edo is not south south ,., ok brother please do not show , (you understand)
Re: APGA To Adopt Jonathan February 10 by aljharem(m): 4:45am On Feb 04, 2011
dem_people:

Send your insults as you please but never ever sit on the fence and throw stones. From the tone and rhetoric of your posts, you're here to divide southerners especially Ndigbo but unfortunately for you, we're uniting.

how

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

If A Jet Is Missing A Pilot Must Be Missing. What Is Wrong With This Picture? / Kemi Olunloyo Reveals Names And Photos Of Nigerian Men Who Begged Her For Sex / Hilarious Photo: Fried Meat With Allah's Inscription Found In Ilorin?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.