Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,601 members, 7,809,185 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:38 AM

Igbos Should Do Away With The Osu Caste System - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbos Should Do Away With The Osu Caste System (1529 Views)

Igwe Kenneth Orizu: Why I Abolished Osu Caste System / Igbo Monarchs Set To End The Osu Caste System Come December 28 / Osu Caste System Abolished In Irete, Owerri West LGA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Igbos Should Do Away With The Osu Caste System by vivalavida(m): 6:34pm On Jul 13, 2020
I am actually creating this thread from a region of pain. It's sad that despite how religious we claim to be from the south eastern part of Nigeria, we still allow a primitive culture like the osu caste system to still be prevalent. I found out yesterday the love of my life is an osu and my family have rejected her. My uncles and cousins are calling on me to end the whole relationship. No one is willing to follow me should to see her people. This is saddening. We really need to do something about this in igboland

We complain about lack of inclusion in the nigerian polity but commit heinous discrimination agains people we call Osu,Ohu and even ume. People we didnt create. People who couldn't have determined how they will be born. We have made people pay for the sins of their forefathers in alaigbo. This is shocking.
Igbo elders need to sit and do something about it. And the youths too who should be shifting away from such obnoxious practices of old are amongst those telling me to respect tradition.

Lalasticlala can u move this to front page please

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Igbos Should Do Away With The Osu Caste System by iTroll: 6:37pm On Jul 13, 2020
bro, leave love matter out of this. let's think logically here.

I'm not in support of OSU and all its related bullcrap but tread carefully. this system is a sensitive and powerful tradition. it could ruin your home reputation if you don't take care. and all a man has in this world are his balls, words and reputation. don't risk this for a lady. pack up and go.

1 Like

Re: Igbos Should Do Away With The Osu Caste System by chatinent: 6:41pm On Jul 13, 2020
That's one thing I love about my belief; no discrimination. Any caste system is rooted in the river of evil. Bro, I wish I were you, I'd be stubborn and marry her, sincerely.
Re: Igbos Should Do Away With The Osu Caste System by vivalavida(m): 6:53pm On Jul 13, 2020
iTroll:
bro, leave love matter out of this. let's think logically here.

I'm not in support of OSU and all its related bullcrap but tread carefully. this system is a sensitive and powerful tradition. it could ruin your home reputation if you don't take care. and all a man has in this world are his balls, words and reputation. don't risk this for a lady. pack up and go.
But these are old custom and practices that should be forgotten
Re: Igbos Should Do Away With The Osu Caste System by vivalavida(m): 6:53pm On Jul 13, 2020
chatinent:
That's one thing I love about my belief; no discrimination. Any caste system is rooted in the river of evil. Bro, I wish I were you, I'd be stubborn and marry her, sincerely.

Can u proceed without the support of your people?
Re: Igbos Should Do Away With The Osu Caste System by iTroll: 6:59pm On Jul 13, 2020
vivalavida:

But these are old custom and practices that should be forgotten
.the effects it will have in your life won't be forgotten if you don't wisen up baba
Re: Igbos Should Do Away With The Osu Caste System by donbachi(m): 6:59pm On Jul 13, 2020
Everybody have been shouting "black lives matters"...when amongs tribe,they still discriminates..hypocrites.
Bro,love conquers it all..if u truely love her,fvck osu...for dis era kwa.
Re: Igbos Should Do Away With The Osu Caste System by chatinent: 7:00pm On Jul 13, 2020
vivalavida:

Can u proceed without the support of your people?
Yes, if they are just being evil.
Re: Igbos Should Do Away With The Osu Caste System by Nobody: 2:52pm On Jul 14, 2020
vivalavida:
I am actually creating this thread from a region of pain. It's sad that despite how religious we claim to be from the south eastern part of Nigeria, we still allow a primitive culture like the osu caste system to still be prevalent. I found out yesterday the love of my life is an osu and my family have rejected her. My uncles and cousins are calling on me to end the whole relationship. No one is willing to follow me should to see her people. This is saddening. We really need to do something about this in igboland

Leave the girl and look for a freeborn.

Before the white men arrived the traditions have been here and it won't change because of you.

Uka di,...Omena-ana dilkwa...
Re: Igbos Should Do Away With The Osu Caste System by vivalavida(m): 3:00pm On Jul 14, 2020
Osagyefo98:

Leave the girl and look for a freeborn.

Before the white men arrived the traditions have been here and it won't change because of you.

Uka di,...Omena-ana dilkwa...

This omena-ala was crafted by man and can also be stopped my man.
This issue made me read up more on this osu stuff and what i found out is mind boggling. Not just osu. Learnt about ohu and ume too. How can we commit such discrimination in alaigbo and complain of lack of inclusion in Nigeria as a whole?
@Czarchris bia tinye onu na okwu a
Re: Igbos Should Do Away With The Osu Caste System by Nobody: 4:18pm On Jul 14, 2020
vivalavida:

This omena-ala was crafted by man and can also be stopped my man.
This issue made me read up more on this osu stuff and what i found out is mind boggling. Not just osu. Learnt about ohu and ume too. How can we commit such discrimination in alaigbo and complain of lack of inclusion in Nigeria as a whole?
@Czarchris bia tinye onu na okwu a

As I said earlier Uka di...Omena-ana dikwa...

Nna nna hu Mee ya...ime ya...obughi Aru...mana o ka ime ya na uzo ziri ezi..

That been said... Omena-ana was crafted to check mate the society and make it habitable. Decision made by many landed them on the other side of the tradition and those who stood firm remained on the other side of tradition. So you see nobody was cheated but rather humans who tried to be smart got trapped by the same tradition.

There is no discrimination in Ana-Igbo but simply that the custodians always upholds what seems right..
Re: Igbos Should Do Away With The Osu Caste System by CzarChris(m): 4:42pm On Jul 14, 2020
Osagyefo98:

That been said... Omena-ana was crafted to check mate the society and make it habitable. Decision made by many landed them on the other side of the tradition and those who stood firm remained on the other side of tradition. So you see nobody was cheated but rather humans who tried to be smart got trapped by the same tradition.

There is no discrimination in Ana-Igbo but simply that the custodians always upholds what seems right..
Look truth be told, this caste system in Igbo land must stop. Vivalavida, my brother the thing done taya me. I remember that when my Dad was still alive, I asked him about the history of the caste system and what he told me was the truth to me. Osus where criminals, rapist or people who committed unspeakable crimes against the community. The deities being worshipped then needed people to clean the shrines and eat what remained of the sacrifices offered to the gods. I happen to come from a royal family so does vivalavida. My cousin went to plaite her hair in the market, not knowing that it was an osu that plaited her, she got big blisters and boils on her head when she got home. That's to tell you of the spiritual implications of that practice. The ohus where slaves and umes had a distinct body odor that made it easy to identify them. Osus can be identified by where their houses where located, mainly near the market, near the shrines or far away from the community. If you do business close to an Osu, their business grows faster than that of a freeborn because the gods help them, that's why if you trace it most of the richest people in Igboland are Osus, wether the know about it or not. This is an enshrined culture that it will take the special grace of the Almighty God to remove from our psychic as Igbos.
I'm fully for the abolishion of all these caste system, but the spiritual part of it must be dealt with as well as changing the mentality of the people practicing it.

3 Likes

Re: Igbos Should Do Away With The Osu Caste System by CzarChris(m): 4:48pm On Jul 14, 2020
vivalavida:

We complain about lack of inclusion in the nigerian polity but commit heinous discrimination agains people we call Osu,Ohu and even ume. People we didnt create. People who couldn't have determined how they will be born. We have made people pay for the sins of their forefathers in alaigbo. This is shocking.
Igbo elders need to sit and do something about it. And the youths too who should be shifting away from such obnoxious practices of old are amongst those telling me to respect tradition.

My brother, the thing really pained me, because like two months ago, I lost a very well behaved, crazy girl because of this same Osu nonsense. Imo State in particular carry this OSU thing for head.
Re: Igbos Should Do Away With The Osu Caste System by Nobody: 4:51pm On Jul 14, 2020
CzarChris:
Look truth be told, this caste system in Igbo land must stop. Vivalavida, my brother the thing done taya me. I remember that when my Dad was still alive, I asked him about the history of the caste system and what he told me was the truth to me. Osus where criminals, rapist or people who committed unspeakable crimes against the community. The deities being worshipped then needed people to clean the shrines and eat what remained of the sacrifices offered to the gods. I happen to come from a royal family so does vivalavida. My cousin went to plaite her hair in the market, not knowing that it was an osu that plaited her, she got big blisters and boils on her head when she got home. That's to tell you of the spiritual implications of that practice. The ohus where slaves and umes had a distinct body odor that made it easy to identify them. Osus can be identified by where their houses where located, mainly near the market, near the shrines or far away from the community. If you do business close to an Osu, their business grows faster than that of a freeborn because the gods help them, that's why if you trace it most of the richest people in Igboland are Osus, wether the know about it or not. This is an enshrined culture that it will take the special grace of the Almighty God to remove from our psychic as Igbos.
I'm fully for the abolishion of all these caste system, but the spiritual part of it must be dealt with as well as changing the mentality of the people practicing it.

Hmmmmm

You can't just wake up to abolish what is many years above you.

Whatever gave rise to someone been OSU was the decision and outcome of his fore father's actions.
Re: Igbos Should Do Away With The Osu Caste System by Nobody: 4:52pm On Jul 14, 2020
CzarChris:

Hmmmmm

You can't just wake up to abolish what is many years above you.

Whatever gave rise to someone been OSU was the decision and outcome of his fore father's actions.

The best thing to do is to repent accept Christ as his/her personal lord and savior and look for brethren of same faith like him or her and marry in the Christian way.
Re: Igbos Should Do Away With The Osu Caste System by Nobody: 4:55pm On Jul 14, 2020
CzarChris:
My brother, the thing really pained me, because like two months ago, I lost a very well behaved, crazy girl because of this same Osu nonsense. Imo State in particular carry this OSU thing for head.

It is more pronounced in IMO state because of too much autonomous community.
Re: Igbos Should Do Away With The Osu Caste System by chatinent: 4:58pm On Jul 14, 2020
Lalasticlala, this is fp worthy.
Re: Igbos Should Do Away With The Osu Caste System by vivalavida(m): 6:30pm On Jul 14, 2020
CzarChris:

So you were affected too DoDo my man?
This shit is ruining my life right now. And our imo state elders have to do something about all this nonsense.
High bride price is prevalent in tour state. Now osu is another hindrance to young people getting married. It's quite sad. I have read up several articles on osu, ohu and ume and no matter what anyone postulates here, it doesn't warrant the kind of discrimination being faced by this set of people. We scream for inclusion, we protest tribalism. We trend black lives matter while committing such heinous atrocities against one who speaks your own language.
Whatever brought about that nonsense caste system can be un-made. Nnobi in anambra have abolished Osu there. Oguta in the same imo state have abolished Ohu. Every other community in igboland which practices such obnoxious archaic things like these should follow suit and liberate people from the bondage they are in.
Re: Igbos Should Do Away With The Osu Caste System by vivalavida(m): 6:41pm On Jul 14, 2020
Osagyefo98:

Do you know some were forced into making those decisions?

Some were donated to the deities without their consent and their generations have been made to bear the consequences ever since
Re: Igbos Should Do Away With The Osu Caste System by Nobody: 6:58pm On Jul 14, 2020
chatinent:
Lalasticlala, this is fp worthy.

Fp for what exactly?
Re: Igbos Should Do Away With The Osu Caste System by CzarChris(m): 11:09pm On Jul 14, 2020
vivalavida:

So you were affected too DoDo my man?
This shit is ruining my life right now. And our imo state elders have to do something about all this nonsense.
High bride price is prevalent in tour state. Now osu is another hindrance to young people getting married. It's quite sad. I have read up several articles on osu, ohu and ume and no matter what anyone postulates here, it doesn't warrant the kind of discrimination being faced by this set of people. We scream for inclusion, we protest tribalism. We trend black lives matter while committing such heinous atrocities against one who speaks your own language.
Whatever brought about that nonsense caste system can be un-made. Nnobi in anambra have abolished Osu there. Oguta in the same imo state have abolished Ohu. Every other community in igboland which practices such obnoxious archaic things like these should follow suit and liberate people from the bondage they are in.
Bro, I have been affected by this nonsense twice, two very beautiful and exceptionally hardworking young ladies because of this nonsense caste system. If not for by virtue of my position in the family and the type of family I come from I would have married a none Igbo woman by now and had my peace of mind. That shit is an aberration that needs to end. But the funny thing is that even if you abolish it, people will still go for "I ju ese" once you indicate interest for marriage. It might interest you to know that Eze Nri(Nri being the cradle of Igbo land) held an elaborate sacrifice to appease the gods and completely and totally abolished the OSU caste system in the entire Igbo on December 2018, but our highly educated Imo people still practice this nonsense till this day. It has been abolished in Anambra, Enugu and Ebonyi State, It's not seriously considered in Abia State, But Imo State carry am for head. God save us.

2 Likes

Re: Igbos Should Do Away With The Osu Caste System by merieam16(f): 8:54pm On Jul 18, 2020
I really dont understand dis osu tin, any1 who is willing 2 explain nd moreover who marries d osu people if ibos er nt pemited 2 marry dem
Re: Igbos Should Do Away With The Osu Caste System by rossovu: 1:53pm On Sep 15, 2020
One of my neighbour's married an osu and they've been living well for many years, they migrated to America 3 years ago.
Re: Igbos Should Do Away With The Osu Caste System by Nobody: 3:34pm On Sep 15, 2020
vivalavida:

Since they don't want to follow you and you insist on marrying her then go alone naaaa..

What an elder see why sitting even if you climb on top the iroko, you will never see that..

Surugede has always been the dance of the spirit and whichever spirit is beating yours, is doing so loudly..

Go alone and stop disturbing our peace on nairaland.

Tell your community to do away with it, Nairaland no be your community.
Re: Igbos Should Do Away With The Osu Caste System by Paretomaster1(m): 6:48pm On Sep 16, 2020
You see them coming out to defend nonsense tradition?
OP, if you love your lady, pls go ahead....
Re: Igbos Should Do Away With The Osu Caste System by FreeStuffsNG: 12:29pm On Sep 05, 2023
Dear OP, I hope you eventually sorted this issue. It's a tough place to be and I feel you.

(1) (Reply)

Any Harm Is Giving Sweet Sacrifice To River Goddess? / 7 Cultural Taboos (abomination) In Yorubaland / Who Do Yoruba People Have More In Common With Hausa Or Igbo?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.