Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,936 members, 7,817,734 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:15 PM

My Reaction As Reno Omokri Kicks Against Chris Okotie's Stance Against Online Ch - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / My Reaction As Reno Omokri Kicks Against Chris Okotie's Stance Against Online Ch (584 Views)

FFK Blasts Rev Chris Okotie For 'insulting' Late Prophet T.B Joshua / Chris Okotie Celebrates His 62nd Birthday Today / Gay Jesus: Reno Omokri Kicks As Netflix Shows 'The First Temptation Of Christ' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Reaction As Reno Omokri Kicks Against Chris Okotie's Stance Against Online Ch by alBHAGDADI: 10:46pm On Jul 14, 2020
Reno Omokri has reacted to a sermon in which Reverend Chris Okotie stated that online churches are unscriptural.

Okotie stated this while condemning the continued closure of churches due to COVID-19 pandemic while other sectors are allowed to open.

In as much as I don't agree to much of what Okotie said and I don't fancy his lifestyle, I still found some valuable points in the sermon.

Reading through Reno Omokri's response to the sermon, I could see some flaws. Read his post below.

Dear Reverend Kris Okotie,

Jheri curling of hair is unscriptural for men too (1 Corinthians 11:14), yet, you have been jheri curling your hair even before I was born. Meeting in a church building is also unscriptural. The early Christians met in each other’s homes (Romans 16:5). So many things we do today are unscriptural, but that does not make them sinful. It is better for people to meet physically as the Body of Christ. However, when it becomes impossible or difficult to meet physically, online churches are a better alternative than not going to church at all

‪#FreeLeahSharibu #RenosNuggets

Let's examine points raised by Reno Omokri and see if they are correct or not.

1.) Meeting in a church building is also unscriptural.

This is totally wrong and shows that Reno Omokri who claims to be a pastor hasn't read much of the Bible or perhaps didn't understand what he read.

1 Timothy 3:15 King James Version
15 But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth.

The verse above shows that there is a place called the House of God. The Bible makes it clear in the same verse that that house is the Church of the Living God.

To debunk Reno Omokri's claim that it is unscriptural that we meet in church, the verse tells us to know how to behave ourselves in the house of God. If we are not told to meet there, why is this verse telling us to know how to behave when we get there? So, Reno Omokri is wrong with this point.

2.) The early Christians met in each other’s homes

Reno Omokri is right with this point but wrong on where he's driving it to. The early Christians did meet in homes and that was when they were few. But as they won souls to Christ, they grew in number and so the homes couldn't contain every one that came for fellowship. At the beginning, a house could contain 200 people. But in one day, Peter converted about 5000 souls to Christianity.

Acts 4:4 KJV
Howbeit many of them which heard the word believed; and the number of the men was about five thousand.

Tell me who has a house big enough to house 5000 people? That's how the idea of building the House of God came into play just as it was done in the time of King Solomon.

3.) When it becomes impossible or difficult to meet physically, online churches are a better alternative than not going to church at all

His words here seem innocent but clearly coming from someone who doesn't know what Christianity is up against.

Yes, there's YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, Television etc, but those things are controlled by the wicked ones. There are certain things you can comfortably say in a church auditorium that you can't put on social media or on Television.

Do you think local TV stations will air a pastor's sermon against Islam? No. Pastor Steven Anderson in Arizona, USA, had his YouTube channel terminated recently. They claim his videos have copyright contents which is a big lie.

As far as I can see, his channel was terminated because his videos preached hard against homosexuality and the LGBTQ lifestyle. He condemns sin and everything the wicked powers support. They had to shut him up from the only mainstream media he had access to. Go to his Instagram page and see how homosexuals are trolling him. Yet Reno Omokri thinks Christianity will survive virtually or online.

Christianity has to remain Christianity and not change because some powers that be ordered it to change. We have to always stay together which is by gathering together under one roof, the Church which is the House of God.

Hebrews 10:25 King James Version
25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

1 Like

Re: My Reaction As Reno Omokri Kicks Against Chris Okotie's Stance Against Online Ch by obataokenwa(m): 11:13pm On Jul 14, 2020
alBHAGDADI
Your corrections/observations are all good and detailed. Nice one.

But is good you know also that during the days of the Apostles, the temptations and persecutions were so much. But it didn't not deter them from preaching and spreading the gospel through any means possible.
Apostle Paul wrote almost all the epistle inside the prison and it carries power.

The thing is many Pastors have all failed and nothing more or better way to preach God again cos they won't be taken serious.
Their prophesies don't come to pass anymore. Their words don't carry power. They threaten govt and nothing happens and most of them collect money from govt so they've sold their conscience.
I remember Apostle Johnson Suleiman telling Elrufai that he would die and won't win election cos he insulted Jesus...Elrufai didn't not die but won second tenure. How would a Muslim ruling take the Christian pastors serious in such cases. They prophesy lots of things that never happened and u expect them to believe opening church u will teach the people the right thing?

I always tell my friends that the Pastors of this generation are lucky that we don't have rulers like Herod and Pharaoh, they will jail and kill most of them and nothing will happen cos Jesus said it.
Re: My Reaction As Reno Omokri Kicks Against Chris Okotie's Stance Against Online Ch by Redoil: 11:47pm On Jul 14, 2020
chiristianiy is more of a lifestyle than a religious gathering
Re: My Reaction As Reno Omokri Kicks Against Chris Okotie's Stance Against Online Ch by petra1(m): 3:41am On Jul 15, 2020
The church service is assembly. Not virtual
Re: My Reaction As Reno Omokri Kicks Against Chris Okotie's Stance Against Online Ch by Acehart: 4:31am On Jul 15, 2020
alBHAGDADI:

This is totally wrong and shows that Reno Omokri who claims to be a pastor hasn't read much of the Bible or perhaps didn't understand what he read.

15 But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth.

The verse above shows that there is a place called the House of God. The Bible makes it clear in the same verse that that house is the Church of the Living God.

“House“ (οἶκος oikos) is translated as household or family. In verse 5, Paul defined the meaning of Church (ἐκκλησία ekklēsia) of God using the picture of a Bishop and His responsibility to this family.

Your translation of ‘family’ to mean a ‘Building structure’ is erroneous.
Re: My Reaction As Reno Omokri Kicks Against Chris Okotie's Stance Against Online Ch by Acehart: 4:31am On Jul 15, 2020
X
Re: My Reaction As Reno Omokri Kicks Against Chris Okotie's Stance Against Online Ch by alBHAGDADI: 6:41am On Jul 15, 2020
Acehart:

“House“ (οἶκος oikos) is translated as household or family. In verse 5, Paul defined the meaning of Church (ἐκκλησία ekklēsia) of God using the picture of a Bishop and His responsibility to this family.

Your translation of ‘family’ to mean a ‘Building structure’ is erroneous.

When you people want to reject what the Bible expressly days or you want to twist it to mean the lie, you go back to the Greek or Hebrew language. You use it to confuse people who don't understand those languages which aren't even your mother tongue.

You are trying to fault the Bible description of the House of God by saying it is a filter and not a building structure.

Look, that verse in Timothy speaks of pillar and ground of truth. It clearly shows that it is talking about a building structure, not some family as you put.

Where did Paul get the idea from? He got it from Jacob who dreamt and saw angels of God descending and ascending on the spot he slept on. This made him fear when he woke up.

Genesis 28:17-19
17 And he was afraid, and said, How dreadful is this place! this is none other but the house of God, and this is the gate of heaven.
18 And Jacob rose up early in the morning, and took the stone that he had put for his pillows, and set it up for a pillar, and poured oil upon the top of it.
19 And he called the name of that place Bethel: but the name of that city was called Luz at the first.

Notice how Jacob called the place the house of God. He also set up a pillar on that ground which is where Paul got the phrase pillar and ground of truth. He went on to called the place Bethel which means House of God. That spot is where King Solomon built the first temple in Israel which was a building structure.

So, don't go back to the Greek or Hebrew in an attempt to try to rubbish the clear word of God because many don't understand those languages. God has given us his word in English and many other languages. Except you want to say God is not perfect enough to give us his word in other languages in a perfect way.
Re: My Reaction As Reno Omokri Kicks Against Chris Okotie's Stance Against Online Ch by Nobody: 7:18am On Jul 15, 2020
alBHAGDADI:

Reno Omokri has reacted to a sermon in which Reverend Chris Okotie stated that online churches are unscriptural.

Okotie stated this while condemning the continued closure of churches due to COVID-19 pandemic while other sectors are allowed to open.

In as much as I don't agree to much of what Okotie said and I don't fancy his lifestyle, I still found some valuable points in the sermon.

Reading through Reno Omokri's response to the sermon, I could see some flaws. Read his post below.

To debunk Reno Omokri's claim that it is unscriptural that we meet in church, the verse tells us to know how to behave ourselves in the house of God. If we are not told to meet there, why is this verse telling us to know how to behave when we get there? So, Reno Omokri is wrong with this point.

Reno Omokri is right with this point but wrong on where he's driving it to. The early Christians did meet in homes and that was when they were few. But as they won souls to Christ, they grew in number and so the homes couldn't contain every one that came for fellowship. At the beginning, a house could contain 200 people. But in one day, Peter converted about 5000 souls to Christianity.

Howbeit many of them which heard the word believed; and the number of the men was about five thousand.

Tell me who has a house big enough to house 5000 people? That's how the idea of building the House of God came into play just as it was done in the time of King Solomon.

3.) When it becomes impossible or difficult to meet physically, online churches are a better alternative than not going to church at all

His words here seem innocent but clearly coming from someone who doesn't know what Christianity is up against.

Yes, there's YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, Television etc, but those things are controlled by the wicked ones. There are certain things you can comfortably say in a church auditorium that you can't put on social media or on Television.

Do you think local TV stations will air a pastor's sermon against Islam? No. Pastor Steven Anderson in Arizona, USA, had his YouTube channel terminated recently. They claim his videos have copyright contents which is a big lie.

As far as I can see, his channel was terminated because his videos preached hard against homosexuality and the LGBTQ lifestyle. He condemns sin and everything the wicked powers support. They had to shut him up from the only mainstream media he had access to. Go to his Instagram page and see how homosexuals are trolling him. Yet Reno Omokri thinks Christianity will survive virtually or online.

Christianity has to remain Christianity and not change because some powers that be ordered it to change. We have to always stay together which is by gathering together under one roof, the Church which is the House of God.

25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

What you termed "House of God" which was the "Church of God" was a group of people, not a building. When 5000 were converted in a day did you read anywhere where Peter started erection a building? If 5000 were converted then many homes were converted which could still be used for meetings.

Don't know when people will realise that Christianity is not a temple based religion.
Re: My Reaction As Reno Omokri Kicks Against Chris Okotie's Stance Against Online Ch by Acehart: 7:42am On Jul 15, 2020
alBHAGDADI:

When you people want to reject what the Bible expressly days or you want to twist it to mean the lie, you go back to the Greek or Hebrew language. You use it to confuse people who don't understand those languages which aren't even your mother tongue.

You are trying to fault the Bible description of the House of God by saying it is a filter and not a building structure.

Look, that verse in Timothy speaks of pillar and ground of truth. It clearly shows that it is talking about a building structure, not some family as you put.

Where did Paul get the idea from? He got it from Jacob who dreamt and saw angels of God descending and ascending on the spot he slept on. This made him fear when he woke up.

17 And he was afraid, and said, How dreadful is this place! this is none other but the house of God, and this is the gate of heaven.
18 And Jacob rose up early in the morning, and took the stone that he had put for his pillows, and set it up for a pillar, and poured oil upon the top of it.
19 And he called the name of that place Bethe: but the name of that city was called Luz at the first.

Notice how Jacob called the place the house of God. He also set up a pillar on that ground which is where Paul got the phrase pillar and ground of truth. He went on to called the place Bethel which means House of God. That spot is where King Solomon built the first temple in Israel which was a building structure.

So, don't go back to the Greek or Hebrew in an attempt to try to rubbish the clear word of God because many don't understand those languages. God has given us his word in English and many other languages. Except you want to say God is not perfect enough to give us his word in other languages in a perfect way.

Peace be with you.
Re: My Reaction As Reno Omokri Kicks Against Chris Okotie's Stance Against Online Ch by alBHAGDADI: 7:50am On Jul 15, 2020
HedwigesMaduro:

What you termed "House of God" which was the "Church of God" was a group of people, not a building. When 5000 were converted in a day did you read anywhere where Peter started erection a building? If 5000 were converted then many homes were converted which could still be used for meetings.

Don't know when people will realise that Christianity is not a temple based religion.

Scroll up to see further explanation on how House of God means a building. Or will you see a church building and say it is not the house of God? Go and desecrate it and see what will become of your life.

When Peter converted 5000 people, you can't expect them to create more house churches. Let's imagine they created house churches of 100 people each. That should be 50 house churches. Where will they see pastors for each of them? Or do you expect the baby Christians to start pastoring each other? That's why Paul kept on writing letters to those churches which means he served as their guide before Timothy was ordained, which must be after he grew in faith and in the word of God.
Re: My Reaction As Reno Omokri Kicks Against Chris Okotie's Stance Against Online Ch by Nobody: 7:51am On Jul 15, 2020
alBHAGDADI:

When Saul was attacking the church how did he do it? By going to church services in a building designated as "church"? See the scripture (Acts 8:3:

As for Saul, he made havock of the church, entering into every house, and haling men and women committed them to prison.

1 Like

Re: My Reaction As Reno Omokri Kicks Against Chris Okotie's Stance Against Online Ch by Nobody: 8:03am On Jul 15, 2020
alBHAGDADI:

19 And he called the name of that place Bethel: but the name of that city was called Luz at the first.

I don't know. You guys always read your preconceived meaning into scriptures. The guy you replied to tried to correct you, but he must be wrong because it doesn't fit your narrative. So if you say "the house of Jacob" it can't mean the family of Jacob? Or when you talk of pillar, below (Rev 3:12) you mean Jesus will make he that overcomes to become a cement structure, right?:

Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name.

1 Like

Re: My Reaction As Reno Omokri Kicks Against Chris Okotie's Stance Against Online Ch by alBHAGDADI: 8:37am On Jul 15, 2020
HedwigesMaduro:

I don't know. You guys always read your preconceived meaning into scriptures. The guy you replied to tried to correct you, but he must be wrong because it doesn't fit your narrative. So if you say "the house of Jacob" it can't mean the family of Jacob? Or when you talk of pillar, below (Rev 3:12) you mean Jesus will make he that overcomes to become a cement structure, right?:

Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name.

When both Paul and Jacob spoke of Pillar, they meant it literally. Jacob even demonstrated by making a pillar out of a stone and aced it on the ground.

Genesis 28:18
18 And Jacob rose up early in the morning, and took the stone that he had put for his pillows, and set it up for a
pillar , and poured oil upon the top of it.

When Paul spoke of Pillar, he he meant it literally.

When Jesus spoke of Pillar, he was talking in the spiritual sense.

Revelation 3:12

Mind you, the "house of Jacob" can also means the family of Jacob. But in the context of the House of God, we see it speaking of a literal building and also a family. If it doesn't speak of a literal building, then what's the essence of Jacob making a pillar on a ground and calling it the house of God which later became a Temple built by solomon?

1 Chronicles 22:1-6
1 Then David said, This is the house of the L ORD God, and this is the altar of the burnt offering for Israel.
2 And David commanded to gather together the strangers that were in the land of Israel; and he set masons to hew wrought stones to build the house of God.
3 And David prepared iron in abundance for the nails for the doors of the gates, and for the joinings; and brass in abundance without weight;
4 Also cedar trees in abundance: for the Zidonians and they of Tyre brought much cedar wood to David.
5 And David said, Solomon my son is young and tender, and the house that is to be builded for the LORD must be exceeding magnifical, of fame and of glory throughout all countries: I will therefore now make preparation for it. So David prepared abundantly before his death.
6 Then he called for Solomon his son, and charged him to build an house for the LORD God of Israel

What's the essence of Paul saying the House of God is the pillar and ground of truth? What's ground and pillar doing in a family if their phrase is not literal?.

Even the passage in Chronicles speaks of literal things that make up the house of God. Yet you are trying to change it into "family". Family is the people gathered while the building that houses them is the House of God. If you say the House of God is the family, then it means there was no family of God until Solomon built the house of God. Sorry, the family of God existed with the Israelites and now with Christians who congregate in a house dedicated to God just as Solomon dedicated a building to God.
Re: My Reaction As Reno Omokri Kicks Against Chris Okotie's Stance Against Online Ch by alBHAGDADI: 8:43am On Jul 15, 2020
HedwigesMaduro:

When Saul was attacking the church how did he do it? By going to church services in a building designated as "church"? See the scripture (Acts 8:3:

As for Saul, he made havock of the church, entering into every house, and haling men and women committed them to prison.

Your problem is that you stick to one definition of a word and ride home with it. Church has many meanings. It means a building and also the called out ones. It also means congregation.

The verse you quoted speaks of Saul attacking the called out ones by going to drag them out of their houses. This was an havoc on the church i.e the congregation or called out ones, not the building called church. Learn to spot the difference.

Acts 8:3 KJV
Re: My Reaction As Reno Omokri Kicks Against Chris Okotie's Stance Against Online Ch by Ekpeitut: 9:19am On Jul 15, 2020
1Tim 3 : 15

House of God : Paul takes the figure of "house" from the Old Testament tabernacle. We should understand that the use of the word here is metaphorical since church refers to people and not a physical structure. (See Luke 17: 20 -21).
It is the people in whom God dwells. The church is the fulfillment of Isaiah's prophecy that people from all nations would flow into the house of God (Is 2:2-3)

Pillar and ground of the truth : Since God works through the medium of those who have come to Christ, then the church of God's people is the medium through which the truth is proclaimed to the world( see Mt 28:19-20, Mk 16:15). The church is the manifestation of those who have obeyed the truth of the gospel.
Re: My Reaction As Reno Omokri Kicks Against Chris Okotie's Stance Against Online Ch by Nobody: 5:01pm On Jul 15, 2020
alBHAGDADI:

Your problem is that you stick to one definition of a word and ride home with it. Church has many meanings. It means a building and also the called out ones. It also means congregation.

The verse you quoted speaks of Saul attacking the called out ones by going to drag them out of their houses. This was an havoc on the church i.e the congregation or called out ones, not the building called church. Learn to spot the difference.

Acts 8:3 KJV

Show me anywhere in the scriptures where church has the same meaning as "temple".
Re: My Reaction As Reno Omokri Kicks Against Chris Okotie's Stance Against Online Ch by Nobody: 5:08pm On Jul 15, 2020
alBHAGDADI:

Scroll up to see further explanation on how House of God means a building. Or will you see a church building and say it is not the house of God? Go and desecrate it and see what will become of your life.

Oh! That fear tactics that they use in controlling you. Sorry. It doesn't work o everone. El Rufai demolished some churches as FCT minister. See how his life is spoilt. By the way, the Romans that destroyed the temple in Jerusalem. What happened to their lives? You bunch are the reason some people make Christians a laughing stock.
Re: My Reaction As Reno Omokri Kicks Against Chris Okotie's Stance Against Online Ch by Kobojunkie: 7:29pm On Jul 15, 2020

When taken in the context it was provided in, you will see that the verse from 1 Timothy 3 says nothing of what you claim it does.

1 Timothy 3 vs 27-30 (ESV)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
14. I hope I can come to you soon. But I am writing this to you now,
15. so that, even if I cannot come soon, you will know how people should live in the family[f] of God. That family is the church of the living God. And God’s church is the support and foundation of the truth.
16. Without a doubt, the secret of our life of worship is great:
Christ[g] was shown to us in human form; the Spirit proved that he was right; he was seen by angels.
The message about him was told to the nations; people in the world believed in him; he was taken up to heaven in glory.
We all know that the house of God refers to no structure built by the hands of men.. Stephen's Address to the Sanhedrin quotes words taken from the lips of Isaiah the Prophet

Acts 7 vs 48
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
48. However, the Most High does not live in houses made by human hands. As the prophet says:
49. ‘Heaven is My throne and the earth is My footstool. What kind of house will you build for Me, says the Lord, or where will My place of repose be?…

... Paul's entry on the same subject

Acts 17 vs 22-26
22. Then Paul stood up before the meeting of the Areopagus council and said, “Men of Athens, everything I see here tells me you are very religious.
23. I was going through your city and I saw the things you worship. I found an altar that had these words written on it: ‘ to an unknown god.’ You worship a god that you don’t know. This is the God I want to tell you about.
24. “He is the God who made the whole world and everything in it. He is the Lord of the land and the sky. He does not live in temples built by human hands.
25. He is the one who gives people life, breath, and everything else they need. He does not need any help from them. He has everything he needs.
26. God began by making one man, and from him he made all the different people who live everywhere in the world. He decided exactly when and where they would live.

Please consider the context of what you pick from the Bible

Wrong! The disciples never built a single structure, and never needed to. By ensuring that each convert was baptized and filled with the Spirit of God (the only Teacher for all followers of Jesus Christ), there was no need for mass meetings.

The body of the church is not maintained by buildings constructed by men or by teachings conjured up in the minds of men.
The glue that keeps Jesus Christ's Church together is the Head, Jesus Christ, His teachings and instructions, and the Spirit of God who keeps each follower of Jesus Christ connected and synced up with the Head.
Unless Christians return once more to follow the exact teachings of Jesus Christ, their worship/labors will remain as useless to God, and to their own selves as the labors of the world are to God.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Reaction As Reno Omokri Kicks Against Chris Okotie's Stance Against Online Ch by alBHAGDADI: 7:37pm On Jul 15, 2020
HedwigesMaduro:

Oh! That fear tactics that they use in controlling you. Sorry. It doesn't work o everone. El Rufai demolished some churches as FCT minister. See how his life is spoilt. By the way, the Romans that destroyed the temple in Jerusalem. What happened to their lives? You bunch are the reason some people make Christians a laughing stock.

You might as well go ahead and do yours.

El-rufai might have demolished those churches based on good legal standing. If otherwise, God has his first way of dealing with his kind. The Romans could destroy the temple because God allowed it. He was done with the activities taking place there since Jesus came to earth.

Just go and poo in a church tonight. grin
Re: My Reaction As Reno Omokri Kicks Against Chris Okotie's Stance Against Online Ch by Nobody: 7:20am On Jul 16, 2020
alBHAGDADI:

You might as well go ahead and do yours.

El-rufai might have demolished those churches based on good legal standing. If otherwise, God has his first way of dealing with his kind. The Romans could destroy the temple because God allowed it. He was done with the activities taking place there since Jesus came to earth.

Just go and poo in a church tonight. grin

So, because I won't poo in a school compound means the school is also a holy ground, right? Brainwashing really affects you guys perception.

(1) (Reply)

. / Sarah Jakes Roberts Sermon This Week / A Festival Of Nine Lessons And Carols

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 117
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.