Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,735 members, 7,817,026 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:24 PM

Those Four Years Are Actually Shorter Than Four Days - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Those Four Years Are Actually Shorter Than Four Days (259 Views)

Davido Blasts Oyetola: 'You Are Actually Just A Bad Human Being' / 60 Years: Are We Really For Nigeria? / Charlie Boy 68, Tinubu 67 Years. Are You Saying Charlie Boy Is Older? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Those Four Years Are Actually Shorter Than Four Days by nurudain(m): 4:11am On Jul 16, 2020
When I see the way some people behave in office as if they are God, I begin to wonder if they actually know their tenure is almost over. Between 1999 and 2007 when Chief Olusegun Obasanjo used to be the president of Nigeria, he had this habit of spreading his arms widely apart on the table while he was seated in the Villa and flanked by either his cabinet members or some other important dignitaries in the country. Anytime he did that, it sounded to me as if the man was saying, ‘this place belongs to me’ or that ‘I am a fixture here’. And that made me have the feeling that his power was going to be there for life. But when Obasanjo eventually left office and he began to send advice to his subsequent successors, sometimes, via his popular open letters and sometimes, through remarks made in a public gathering or in interviews, it did dawn on me that power ever is ephemeral.
Unfortunately, most politicians in Nigeria, most especially, State Governors, members Houses of Assembly and many of the people fortunate to find themselves in the corridor of power in Aso Rock usually think as though they are fixtures in their various positions. They fail to realize that their four or eight years are almost over.
By nature, a fraction of these people would remain relevant in power for a very long time. But then, it is certain that the vast majority usually fall into the wilderness. Because of this, some of these people embezzle the public fund madly in an attempt to scare poverty far away and keep it at bay. They think they are wise but certainly, posterity is wiser than them. Some others don’t think their eight years are numbered. Therefore, they misbehave, basking in impurity, corruption, reckless spending and lawlessness. To such, I have a reminder. Have they ever thought that some people were in that position when they never thought they would be there? In the same way, sometimes, one day, they too will leave there.
One day, I was inside a State Government House when everybody, all of a sudden, began to run helter-skelter. The various security attachments, the police, the Civil Defense, DSS and drivers were running to different directions. Each was trying to catch up with their cars. When I inquired what was going on, I was told they had been alerted that the governor wanted to go out and everybody was rushing to their vehicle to join his convoy. Wonderful! Unfortunately today, that governor has now become an ‘ex-governor’.
Some years later, I was in the same Government House and that same ex-governor visited his former abode. He was just with his driver and no one else. To my amazement, no one cared he entered about his entrance. I noticed everyone was just looking at him. Although, he enjoyed preferential treatment by being allowed to go in to see his successor directly without being delayed like other visitors who equally wanted to see the serving governor, I strongly believe that, deep inside him, he would perceive the bitter side of the life lesson.
Some other time, I was at the airport and I saw a group of student being shown around by this same ex-governor. He was so loose that he took his time to explain the various sections of the airport to the students. And again, there was no any security details, no convoy and protocols. He was just alone. It was much later when we realized he was actually waiting for the present serving governor who later arrived with all the convoy which he (the ex-governor) used to have around him.
Long time ago, there was a minister who once sent his girlfriend to an important official functioning as his representative. One would then wonder if the Permanent Secretary and other directors in the ministry were not competent to stand in. To him, he was in power and therefore, he should exercise his power to his satisfaction. But of recent, when I saw him in his nearly rickety car, I asked myself but I wish I could ask him if he was still with that his girlfriend and if he could still freely enter the same ministry without being asked what he is looking for. That is life and that is why one has to tread with utmost care.
Who does not remember a former governor of Zamfara State when he was threatening his party’s National Chairman and the presidency as though he founded and he would forever remain the governor of the state. His end eventually turned out to a comic drama.
A very long time ago, a one-time Post-Master-General of Nigeria had himself and his family with their belongings evicted from his hitherto official residence. When he was interviewed, he began to recount his achievements and the sacrifices he made for the Nigerian Postal Services. But that was story. The most important lesson for one to learn is that just as our stay on earth is temporal; so is our time in office. Perhaps, the Post-Master-General did not realize this.
Of all the people I have witnessed their ends, perhaps, the closest person to me is my neighbour, who, before he became a member, State House of Assembly, was hardly visited by anybody. In 2015, luck shone on him when the APC swept most part of Nigeria at the time many people least expected. Being a member of the APC, he won the election. Subsequently and immediately, too, crowds began to throng at his house for the next four years. Unfortunately, immediately he lost the primary election in the subsequent election year, the crowd disappeared, even before the end of his tenure. His numbered days had finished.
I have learnt a lot of lessons and I am still learning. I have learnt that if life favours you at any time, be extremely careful. If it doesn’t, exercise patience. If you succeed in climbing the ladder up, never damage any of the steps you have climbed up. If people look up to you, know that it is because of what they see with you. If you find yourself in any position, create a good history for yourself for that is what will be left of you. If you are given any position, count yourself lucky for you are not the best. If you are superior anywhere, never treat your subordinates as nobody.
I have learnt that if you are served with a delicious meal, you must not bring shame to yourself and your family by smearing your clothes with soup. If you have today, know that you may not have tomorrow. I have learnt that life is not as straight as a barrel of gun. Life has taught me that it is pendulous in nature and it can swing to anyone today and some others tomorrow. If it swings to you, know that your tenure is ephemeral and you will soon be out.

ALABI BASHIR
alabibashir@gmail.com

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Those Four Years Are Actually Shorter Than Four Days by sageb: 5:28am On Jul 16, 2020
Power is Transient, you will be remembered for your deeds.

Re: Those Four Years Are Actually Shorter Than Four Days by realstars: 5:35am On Jul 16, 2020
Four Years Is Like 4years Na
Re: Those Four Years Are Actually Shorter Than Four Days by illicit(m): 6:49am On Jul 16, 2020
Nothing lasts forever
Re: Those Four Years Are Actually Shorter Than Four Days by philipstanley(m): 7:23am On Jul 16, 2020
Our life on earth is not forever so as the things and title we acquire.

Today maybe yours but tomorrow is not
Re: Those Four Years Are Actually Shorter Than Four Days by zealousayo(m): 8:24am On Jul 16, 2020
Hmm. Oro agba!

(1) (Reply)

You Can’t Be Godfather In Edo, Wike, Tambuwal, Secondus Tell Oshiomhole / Ondo 2020: PDP Flag Bearer In Ondo Nominates Two Names For Deputy / Ohanaeze Ndigbo River State Chapter Visit Ikokwu Spare Parts Traders - Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.