Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,896 members, 7,817,641 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:07 PM

Slum And Paradise - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Slum And Paradise (477 Views)

Paradise, A Twin Bliss Resort Comedy Preview. / Life In Makoko – Lagos Floating Slum / Travail in The Slum Of The Rising Sun☀ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Slum And Paradise by Penpaddie: 2:08pm On Jul 16, 2020
So i decided to share my fiction on this platform, i am not a professional writer , i write to pass time, this work is unedited and could contain enough grammatical errors. This book is a trilogy and this is the first.

Chapter one
Olivia woke up with a rumbling stomach, she rushed outside where a big drum of water was placed, she fetched some water and placed it in the bathroom else she would be late. The queue at the bathroom every morning was a nightmare. She was in no mood for tantrums from the other neighbors.  It was a tug of war considering the number of crying kids and their yelling mothers trying to bath them and beat the morning traffic to work. After her shower, she was dressing up when are other siblings woke. Nora was the first.
       "Morning Oli ", she yawns.
  "Morning ", Olivia replied her with a smile.
"Ehn Oli, mommy didn't get back home, do you know where she passed the night ". Nora was always the inquisitive one, very observant and not afraid to air out her feelings. "How do you know mummy didn't pass the night at home, she came back  late and left early this morning", Olivia lied.  She knew Nora didn't buy that but what can she do, tell her younger sister their mum had not been coming home because she was a high -end prostitute, she definitely didn't want that. She asked Nora to prepare for school while she wake Owen and Elvis up . Owen was crying as he undressed .  What is it baby ", She was fond of Owen being the baby of the house.
"I'm hungry, " he replied faintly. She expected that but she can't help their situation, they all slept hungry yesternight but Owen was too young to be involved in their hunger strike. It wasnt the poor boys fault that he was born into a family where eating three square meal was a luxury. She was on a crossroad on how she could get Owen breakfast. She stepped out of the house and walked towards a kiosk, it was Mallam Aliyu's.
"Good Morning Mallam" Ah Nyarinya "he said smiling broadly at her as he freely displayed his brown decayed teeth. Olivia hated his smile. She never liked Aliyu as she feels there is something creepy about him. "Ehm mallam, you fit help me with one super pack Indomie and N30 egg, Abeg i go give you money when i come back from school " she pleaded, she knew she wasn't coming back to pay. Yowa, you know say you be pine Nyarinya, i go give you pree of charge", Aliyu grinned as he packed the items. Olivia thanked him profusely, as she returned home. She feared the day Aliyu would ask for all these favors in return, she hope not.
She rushed to the kitchen, it was a small room with cupboards larger than life locked with heavy padlock, this was to secure the food items in them to avoid stories that touches. She rushed to the room and presented Owen the hot noodles and scrambled eggs. Owen's face light up in delight, it's been a while he ate such meals.
"Thank you sister Oli" he rushed the food, just then Elvis came in. He made to grab Owens meal when Olivia rebuked him. "Elvis will you let him be, swallow your saliva and prepare for school".
"But Oli i'm also hungry too, not fair " he grumbled. Olivia ignored him picking up her bag to leave. She bade Owen goodbye instructing him to finish up so he won't be late.
Re: Slum And Paradise by tchidi066(f): 7:50am On Jul 17, 2020
Re: Slum And Paradise by Ayemileto(m): 8:30am On Jul 17, 2020
angry
Re: Slum And Paradise by Penpaddie: 9:39am On Jul 17, 2020
??
Re: Slum And Paradise by Penpaddie: 10:41am On Jul 17, 2020
Update coming up soon
Re: Slum And Paradise by Penpaddie: 10:41am On Jul 17, 2020
Ayemileto:

angry
Na wetin
Re: Slum And Paradise by Ayemileto(m): 10:50am On Jul 17, 2020
Penpaddie:

Na wetin

Nothing Na. The story have a good start though.

But the ovation will come with more updates.
Re: Slum And Paradise by Nobody: 11:10am On Jul 17, 2020
Following
Re: Slum And Paradise by Penpaddie: 8:35pm On Jul 17, 2020
Olivia walked to school in silence. It was a long distance from her area. She and her family had lived in the slum she called home since her father's death. She loves her family much except her mother. She was a student of Briston Memorial high school in one of the richest suburban area. She smiled to herself as she remembered how she won the scholarship to such prestigious school where she and the children of the high and mighty learnt together. She was an (a) student and her dad had always been her biggest supporter. It's unfortunate he was no longer there to cheer her on, she misses his encouragements and accolades he poured on her, her eyes glistened with tears as she began to hasten her steps, she was already late for school .
She finally arrived school when the first lesson had already commenced. She was too ashamed to walk into the class as she would be noticed so she remained outside. ••••••••••~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~•••••••••
Aaliyah smiled broadly to herself immediately she heard the horn of her mother's car. She hurriedly raced down the stairs. Hussein was stepping down from the car when Aaliyah jumped at him. He hugged her tightly.
"I missed you big bro, Waow , you've grown so huge and tall ". She hugged him once again.
"And you've grown beautiful baby sister, what has mom been feeding you with". They both laughed. Zainab stood watching her children.
"Aaliyah, not even a welcome from you because you have seen your brother, now am suddenly a stranger." Zainab rebuked her daughter. Aliya feigned ignorance as she continued speaking excitedly while the house helps try getting the luggage from the booth of the car.
They were at dinner and Aliya could not stop gushing about how huge Hussein has grown. She could not wait to tell her friends back in school and show him off. Hussein has been away from the country since he was three. He has been with his paternal uncle and his family in the U.S.
Though Hussein thought the reason why he came back to the country was because the father thought he has had enough of the western culture but Zainab knew better. It was a secret they've kept from Hussein for a long time. Though Hussein thought the reason why he came back to the country was because the father thought he has had enough of the western culture but Zainab knew better. It was a secret they've kept from Hussein for a long time.
"So big bro, which of the universities in the country do you plan enrolling in, i don't mind you coming to my school University." Aliya said with a twinkle in her eyes. She wanted to be the gossip of the school if he eventually enrol. Girls will trip for him and she would be sought after in order to get his attention. She can't wait.
"What's in stock for me in this so much talked about school of yours " Hussein asked as he savoured the delicious coconut rice, shrimps and veggies.
"Bro you are missing...
"Aliya! Allow your brother eat in peace, stop pestering him."Her mother rebuked her. Aliyah frowned."Common mum, let her be, afterall am nt complaining." Hussein smiled broadly.
Aliyah grinned knowing fully well her brother would support her, he adores her to a fault.
Re: Slum And Paradise by Penpaddie: 9:16pm On Jul 17, 2020
After dinner he retired to his room to unpack. The room was spacious with a king sized bed and a walk in closet. He shook his head at the extravagance, it was exquisite with a royal blue and gold interior, it looked great but Hussein thought something was missing: a masculine touch. He loves his wallpapers and mini studio where he could create idea's that becomes reality. His decision to return to Nigeria was a hasty one since he put little to no resistance . He could not tell if he has done the right thing, only time will, for now he'll make his stay a worthy one. He smiled to himself as he rececollects on how him and his buddies had gisted about them Nigerian girls. They've got assets unlike their white counterparts who were flat. He intended to explore and there is nothing stopping him. His phone rang interrupting his thought. It was his best friend Harry.
"Hey pal, how'u putting up there "
"Hey buddy i'm good and how is Washington Heights ". Hussein said with his heavy American accent. Harry was white but he loves Nigeria and its culture.
"I'm good man but it's really not the same without you here, and how is that beautiful sister of yours"
"Stay clear of my sister man " Hussein thundered.
"Calm down, i was only after her well being, big brother " Harry laughed. He has a secret crush on Aliyah immediately he saw her picture on Hussein's phone. Hussein was so much protective of his sister and will skin him alive if he finds out.
"How is that bitchy girlfriend of yours " Hussein asked. He hated Mandy, she was spoit and cynical.
"Don't let her hear you call her that else... " He warned Hussein. He doesn't really love Mandy that much, he was only using her to pass time.
"Whatever man, I've got some issues already! He exclaimed.
" what is it... Oh i get, no more cracks " Harry laughed.
"It's not funny, i don't know why my old man insist i return, but you know I'm a loose shell without the dope " Hussein sighed.
"you'll be fine once you get to know your way around, I've got to run along " Harry reassured him. They said their goodbyes and hung up.

(1) (Reply)

Difference Between Copywriting And Content Writing / Get These E-books At Very Affordable Prices! / Writertain Creatives Top 10 Nigerian Comic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.