Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,167 members, 7,815,074 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:49 AM

State Of Origin - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / State Of Origin (6809 Views)

Fayose Dares Buhari On State Of Emergency In Ekiti, Rivers, Says It Won't Work / Numbers Of Federal Workers By State Of Origin-- Bureau Of Public Service / Niger To Start Repatriating Beggars To Their States Of Origin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

State Of Origin by GuruD: 7:59am On Feb 06, 2011
My Dad was born and bred in Lagos, my Mum, in Zaria. I was born and bred in Benin and have lived the past ten years in Port-Harcourt. But my state of origin reads Delta state, a state I have not spent  up to a 100 hours in since I was born. How can that be my state of origin especially since the only thing I know about Delta state is that my Grandparents were born there and Uduaghan is the Governor. Seriously am I really a Deltan? Should I register and vote in a state I do not even benefit or contribute to? If it is not right to involve in the politics of a place that I do not live in, where else then can I vote and most importantly be voted for?
Re: State Of Origin by Nobody: 8:07am On Feb 06, 2011
ehrrrm okay.

Do you really need that unnecessary headache? Why vote when a paln to rig is already in action? Anywaz, just register where your father was born jare (Lagos).

These children and their inability to point to their village, o ma ga o!
Re: State Of Origin by Ikengawo: 8:14am On Feb 06, 2011
My Dad was born and bred in Lagos, my Mum, in Zaria. I was born and bred in Benin and have lived the past ten years in Port-Harcourt. But my state of origin reads Delta state, a state I have not spent up to a 100 hours in since I was born. How can that be my state of origin especially since the only thing I know about Delta state is that my Grandparents were born there and Uduaghan is the Governor. Seriously am I really a Deltan? Should I register and vote in a state I do not even benefit or contribute to? If it is not right to involve in the politics of a place that I do not live in, where else then can I vote and most importantly be voted for?

This is a perfect example of why the whole 'seperation' postulate for nigerian's problems is outdated and retarded.
Nigerians in 2011 are no longer village people but are expected to identify themselves as an immobile peg of their grandfathers hut.

Most nigerians i met outside of my own village are born in places like Lagos. I know a guy thats half igbo half hausa and part fulani born and raise in Warri.

All he knows is Warri. So how can you call him a northerner or igbo? dude is just nigerian.

I met an Eshan girl that's half igbo but grew up in Ibadan and speaks Yoruba.

even P-square, igbo boys from Jos, Dbanj, Yoruba boy from Kaduna
Re: State Of Origin by asha80(m): 8:33am On Feb 06, 2011
Ikengawo:

This is a perfect example of why the whole 'seperation' postulate for nigerian's problems is outdated and not-so-smart.

Nigerians in 2011 are no longer village people but are expected to identify themselves as an immobile peg of their grandfathers hut.

Most nigerians i met outside of my own village are born in places like Lagos. I know a guy thats half igbo half hausa and part fulani born and raise in Warri.

All he knows is Warri. So how can you call him a northerner or igbo? dude is just nigerian.

this is more of a problem of state of origin,indigene/settler issue than outright seperation.
Re: State Of Origin by Ikengawo: 8:41am On Feb 06, 2011
well they're all related. my grandfather as a part of 'eastern region'
im not.

i was born in america and grew up in nigeria, sure, but most of my little cousins were born and raised in Lagos Onitsha, Port, and over seas, so it's not really their 'state of origin' anymore, they don't originate from there.

That's why I point back to the seperation issue. there are igbos that are more at home in Ibadan then Yorubas that were born and raised in Abuja, so where do you get off calling on a westerner and the other an easterner.

I think asking state of origin is counter productive. That's how we ferment this idea that a nigerian 'from' one region is less of a nigerian in another region. As if Kaduna and Sokoto aren't a part of my country as well.
Re: State Of Origin by asha80(m): 8:44am On Feb 06, 2011
Ikengawo:

well they're all related. my grandfather as a part of 'eastern region'
im not.

i was born in america and grew up in nigeria, sure, but most of my little cousins were born and raised in Lagos Onitsha, Port, and over seas, so it's not really their 'state of origin' anymore, they don't originate from there.

That's why I point back to the seperation issue. there are igbos that are more at home in Ibadan then Yorubas that were born and raised in Abuja, so where do you get off calling on a westerner and the other an easterner.

I think asking state of origin is counter productive.
That's how we ferment this idea that a nigerian 'from' one region is less of a nigerian in another region. As if Kaduna and Sokoto aren't a part of my country as well.

tell that to the locals and to the nigerian constitution.nigeria is not US.

at least there is no seperation issue now.the poster has his own immediate issue that has nothing to do with seperation
Re: State Of Origin by Ikengawo: 8:59am On Feb 06, 2011
its not a matter of me telling anything to anyone, it's a matter of my realizing a problem in our system and wanting a solution because this is what intelligent people do.

The OP is making a statement that is wide open to a broader discussion on state of origin and tribal identity in Nigeria.
Re: State Of Origin by edoyad(m): 9:20am On Feb 06, 2011
I understand you bro, the first 18 years of my life were spent in lagos though my parents are from southern KD. I can't speak my mother tongue(jaba), yoruba or igbo, just minimal hausa i learnt from my last few years of living in KD. So you can see there're some languageless ones like us who can't fit in anywhere but the urban set up. Thats why i plan to finally settle in Lag one day; my true home.
Re: State Of Origin by Nobody: 10:01am On Feb 06, 2011
My Dad was born and bred in Lagos, my Mum, in Zaria. I was born and bred in Benin and have lived the past ten years in Port-Harcourt. But my state of origin reads Delta state

how did that happen.
Re: State Of Origin by Nobody: 10:21am On Feb 06, 2011
edoyad:

I understand you bro, the first 18 years of my life were spent in lagos though my parents are from southern KD. I can't speak my mother tongue(jaba), yoruba or igbo, just minimal hausa i learnt from my last few years of living in KD. So you can see there're some languageless ones like us who can't fit in anywhere but the urban set up. Thats why i plan to finally settle in Lag one day; my true home.

Hard to believe someone lived in Lagos for 18 yrs and didnt grasp the Yoruba language.

That's where most Non-Yorubas learn to speak Yoruba. . . .

asha 80:

tell that to the locals and to the nigerian constitution.nigeria is not US.

at least there is no seperation issue now.the poster has his own immediate issue that has nothing to do with seperation

Ikengawo:

its not a matter of me telling anything to anyone, it's a matter of my realizing a problem in our system and wanting a solution because this is what intelligent people do.

The OP is making a statement that is wide open to a broader discussion on state of origin and tribal identity in Nigeria.

I have to agree with asha. This is nothing about tribal identity, dude just wants to know what to claim for voting registration. Just like in the U.S, to vote in Florida, one has to be a resident of Florida for atleast 5 years. In Nigeria, I suppose there's no time limit, cuz some people are registering to vote in their origin.  undecided
Re: State Of Origin by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 1:48pm On Feb 06, 2011
I do not know my state of origin. I was born in Bukuru, JOS, grew up in Zaria KADUNA, Spent 12 years in Port-Harcourt and Living in Lagos since 2000
My Dad is from Ondo State but I think it is now Ekiti but I no longer know what Local Government it is, my Mum is from Estakor Edo and I speak Hausa, English, Yoruba and a bit of Ijaw
Re: State Of Origin by Afam4eva(m): 2:08pm On Feb 06, 2011
FL Gators:

Hard to believe someone lived in Lagos for 18 yrs and didnt grasp the Yoruba language.

That's where most Non-Yorubas learn to speak Yoruba. . . .

I have to agree with asha. This is nothing about tribal identity, dude just wants to know what to claim for voting registration. Just like in the U.S, to vote in Florida, one has to be a resident of Florida for atleast 5 years. In Nigeria, I suppose there's no time limit, cuz some people are registering to vote in their origin.  undecided

There are millions of people in Lagos that don't know how to speak yoruba. It's no biggie. You can live in lagos and learn how to speak Igbo. It all depends on the area you live and the people you associate with.

1 Like

Re: State Of Origin by Afam4eva(m): 2:13pm On Feb 06, 2011
Ikengawo:

This is a perfect example of why the whole 'seperation' postulate for nigerian's problems is outdated and not-so-smart.

But you'll have a problem with a Nigerian born and bred in the US claiming not to be a Nigerian but an American.
Re: State Of Origin by KnowAll(m): 2:22pm On Feb 06, 2011
You are a citizen of the state where your father is born. @ poster u are a citizen of Lagos provided u can speak the Yoruba language. I believe your father who was born and bred in Lagos should be able to speak the Yoruba language, that makes u a second generation Lagosian that can speak the language.

However if you were born in lagos and soon afterwards you moved to Port harcourt or Kaduna and u can speak the local lingo in those places but cannot speak your father's first language which is Yoruba then it would be difficult to claim Lagos.

How can u be a Lagosian without been able to speak the language. You are more likely to claim those places u grew up, since u would have gone to school with citizens of those states who can vouch u are one of them.

Meanwhile your Grand father's state of Delta at anytime and  any-moment in your life u to claim it back even if u cannot speak the language. So you have 3 choices.
Re: State Of Origin by aljharem(m): 2:25pm On Feb 06, 2011
KnowAll:

You are a citizen of the state where your father is born. @ poster u are a citizen of Lagos provided u can speak the Yoruba language. I believe your father who was born and bred in Lagos should be able to speak the Yoruba language, that makes u a second generation Lagosian that can speak the language.

However if you were born in lagos and soon afterwards you moved to Port harcourt or Kaduna and u can speak the local lingo in those places but cannot speak your father's first language which is Yoruba then it would be difficult to claim Lagos.

How can u be a Lagosian without been able to speak the language. You are more likely to claim those places u grew up, since u would have gone to school with citizens of those states who can vouch u are one of them.

Meanwhile your Grand father's state of Delta at anytime and  any-moment in your life u to claim it back even if u cannot speak the language. So you have 3 choices.

gbammmm

best responds so far

even me, i had to learn igbo and yoruba to fit in those places i have lived in

my stay in anambra was not so good because the igbo language is a bit difficult but i am getting there

i think i understand yoruba enough to pass me through
Re: State Of Origin by Justcash(m): 2:34pm On Feb 06, 2011
Guru D.:

My Dad was born and bred in Lagos, my Mum, in Zaria. I was born and bred in Benin and have lived the past ten years in Port-Harcourt. But my state of origin reads Delta state, a state I have not spent  up to a 100 hours in since I was born. How can that be my state of origin especially since the only thing I know about Delta state is that my Grandparents were born there and Uduaghan is the Governor. Seriously am I really a Deltan? Should I register and vote in a state I do not even benefit or contribute to? If it is not right to involve in the politics of a place that I do not live in, where else then can I vote and most importantly be voted for?

FORGET ALL THESE LONG STORIES FROM NAIRALANDERS. YOU ARE FROM DELTA STATE. YOU DON'T NEED TO SPEAK ANY DELTA LANGUAGE TO BE IDENTIFIED AS A DELTAN. ALL OTHER PLACES YOU STAYED IN ARE NOT YOUR STATES OF ORIGIN. FOR INSTANCE, YOU CAN NEVER BE A GOVERNOR IN ANY OF THOSE STATES. YOU WILL BE TREATED AS A FOREIGNER IN THOSE STATES WHEN IT COMES TO THAT. YOU CAN ONLY BE WELCOMED TO LEAD AS A GOVERNOR IN DELTA STATE, SINCE YOUR ROOTS CAN BE TRACED THERE.
DON'T DECEIVE YOURSELF. IF IT IS ABOUT INEC REGISTRATION, YOU CAN REGISTER ANYWHERE. BUT WHEN IT HAS TO DO WITH YOU CONTESTING FOR ANYTHING, DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME CONTESTING IN ANOTHER STATE, BECAUSE NOBODY CARES IF YOU WERE BORN THERE OR NOT.ALL THEY WANT TO KNOW IS IF YOU ARE A SON-OF THE SOIL. THAT IS THE REALITY ON GROUND.

1 Like

Re: State Of Origin by spyder880(m): 2:55pm On Feb 06, 2011
The solution will come with time, when an ethnic setting organises and wins elections in places they live. Like the Ibo producing a Lagos govnor or yorubas installing a Kano govnor if they have the numbers/popular candidate to swing votes. Time will solve that problem.
Re: State Of Origin by KnowAll(m): 2:59pm On Feb 06, 2011
FORGET ALL THESE LONG STORIES FROM NAIRALANDERS. YOU ARE FROM DELTA STATE. YOU DON'T NEED TO SPEAK ANY DELTA LANGUAGE TO BE IDENTIFIED AS A DELTAN. ALL OTHER PLACES YOU STAYED IN ARE NOT YOUR STATES OF ORIGIN. FOR INSTANCE, YOU CAN NEVER BE A GOVERNOR IN ANY OF THOSE STATES. YOU WILL BE TREATED AS A FOREIGNER IN THOSE STATES WHEN IT COMES TO THAT. YOU CAN ONLY BE WELCOMED TO LEAD AS A GOVERNOR IN DELTA STATE, SINCE YOUR ROOTS CAN BE TRACED THERE.
DON'T DECEIVE YOURSELF. IF IT IS ABOUT INEC REGISTRATION, YOU CAN REGISTER ANYWHERE. BUT WHEN IT HAS TO DO WITH YOU CONTESTING FOR ANYTHING, DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME CONTESTING IN ANOTHER STATE, BECAUSE NOBODY CARES IF YOU WERE BORN THERE OR NOT.ALL THEY WANT TO KNOW IS IF YOU ARE A SON-OF THE SOIL. THAT IS THE REALITY ON GROUND.

That is why in the other thread I suggested once your family has settled in a place, it is always good to integrate for example taking up local first name must be encourage especially if u are a 2nd and 3rd generational settlers. For instance a name like " oluwafemi" in yoruba language means God loves me, God Wants me depends on how u want to interpret it. Why would a second generational Hausa or Igbo in lagos in which the only lingua franca in the household is Yoruba call his child Emeka or Abubakar when he can pick any of the local names around in his new environment for his child. Nobody is saying they should change their surname far from it, but for u to identify with a place it goes beyond just speaking the language.

On what this gentleman is yearning above that,  u cannot be Governor of your adopted state, forget it,  u can be anything u want,  once u have the network of the dominant party machinery in d state behind you. The wordings of this gentleman are tactics some so called indigenes use to scare non- aborigines from not running when it is obvious political office in Nigeria is based on patronage of the party hierarchy.

How come Tinubu a second generational Lagosian became the Governor of the state obviously backed by party grandees when it was clear funsho williams an indigene won the primaries. Poltical office anywhere is connection. You are most likely to have that connection amongst people u grow up with than in your grand-fathers's state of origin.
Re: State Of Origin by Afam4eva(m): 3:01pm On Feb 06, 2011
KnowAll:

That is why in the other thread I suggested once your family has settled in a place, it is always good to integrate for example taking up local first name must be encourage especially if u are a 2nd and 3rd generational settlers. For instance a name like " oluwafemi" in yoruba language means God loves me, God Wants me depends on how u want to interpret it. Why would a second generational Hausa or Igbo in lagos in which the only lingua franca in the household is Yoruba call his child Emeka or Abubakar when he can pick any of the local names around in his new environment for his child. Nobody is saying they should change their surname far from it, but for u to identify with a place it goes beyond just speaking the language.

On what this gentleman is yearning above that,  u cannot be Governor of your adopted state, forget it,  u can be anything u want,  once u have the network of the dominant party machinery in d state behind you. The wordings of this gentleman are tactics some so called indigenes use to scare non- aborigines from not running when it is obvious political office in Nigeria is based on patronage of the party hierarchy.

How come Tinubu a second generational Lagosian became the Governor of the state obviously backed by party grandees when it was clear funsho williams an indigene won the primaries. Poltical office anywhere is connection. You are most likely to have that connection amongst people u grow up with than in your grand-fathers's state of origin.

Always spewing rubish because you want people to start bearing yoruba names. You must not adopt any name neither must you learn how to speak a language before you'll have the full right of a place. As long as you were born there you're a citizen.

1 Like

Re: State Of Origin by aljharem(m): 3:13pm On Feb 06, 2011
afam4eva:

Always spewing rubish because you want people to start bearing yoruba names. You must not adopt any name neither must you learn how to speak a language before you'll have the full right of a place. As long as you were born there you're a citizen.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin brother stop deceiving yourself, it is annoying i tell you

at this age and time some of my igbo brothers are deceiving themselves,.,. sad indeed cry
Re: State Of Origin by Justcash(m): 3:17pm On Feb 06, 2011
@Poster: You have been told. If you have ears, you better hear. The same people telling you to take up a Yoruba name are the people that will ensure that you are exposed as a non-Yoruba Lagosian when the time comes. They will easily term you an omo-Igbo and ask you about the history of your fore-fathers in yorubaland. We are not in the 50s, we are in 2011. I'm sorry, but it is the reality on ground. You can only be used as a commissioner or something like a special adviser, that is if you become a political heavyweight in Lagos.
Go to your ancestrial home and know about your roots. I don tell you my own
Re: State Of Origin by KnowAll(m): 3:19pm On Feb 06, 2011

Did I SAY Yoruba names it could be vice -versa a Yoruba who grew up in Owerr I personally don't see anything wrong in that person called ugochukwu oluwafemi. That peson has an identity than some one with a name like ugochuckwu Nnamdi claiming to be a lagosian. The problem with people like u, u want to come to a place spewing your foreign language on the locals and feel welcomed afterwards how is that possible when u are not prepared to integrate.

Yorubas who grew up in Togo and Cote Voire all have french first name in unison with the dominant culture around them. Wande Coal is from Taraba State but with a name like that I identify him as a mushin boy rather than a boy from Jalingo.
Re: State Of Origin by KnowAll(m): 3:24pm On Feb 06, 2011
Poster: You have been told. If you have ears, you better hear. The same people telling you to take up a Yoruba name are the people that will ensure that you are exposed as a non-Yoruba Lagosian when the time comes. They will easily term you an omo-Igbo and ask you about the history of your fore-fathers in yorubaland. We are not in the 50s, we are in 2011. I'm sorry, but it is the reality on ground. You can only be used as a commissioner or something like a special adviser, that is if you become a political heavyweight in Lagos.
Go to your ancestrial home and know about your roots. I don tell you my own.

Mr man u are one of those aborigenes that have noting to contribute to lagos, let the new lagosians contribute to the growth of that city. Your relevance are diminishing on a daily basis, how come Tinubu's son in law who failed to get a seat in the Ekiti Federal House got one delivered to him in a platter of gold in Agege Lagos. Mr man please Shut Up
Re: State Of Origin by jason123: 3:26pm On Feb 06, 2011
afam4eva:

. . . . . . . . . . . . . Why do you think I am named Jason? Is that an itsekiri name or a Uk name? Why do you find it difficult to integrate yourselve in your environment??
Re: State Of Origin by aljharem(m): 3:28pm On Feb 06, 2011
jason123:

. . . . . . . . . . . . . Why do you think I am named Jason? Is that an itsekiri name or a Uk name? Why do you find it difficult to integrate yourselve in your environment??

good one jason

some of my brothers have let expansionism blind there eyes and all they see is igbo cry cry
Re: State Of Origin by jason123: 3:28pm On Feb 06, 2011
Justcash:

@Poster: You have been told. If you have ears, you better hear. The same people telling you to take up a Yoruba name are the people that will ensure that you are exposed as a non-Yoruba Lagosian when the time comes. They will easily term you an omo-Igbo and ask you about the history of your fore-fathers in yorubaland. We are not in the 50s, we are in 2011. I'm sorry, but it is the reality on ground. You can only be used as a commissioner or something like a special adviser, that is if you become a political heavyweight in Lagos.
Go to your ancestrial home and know about your roots. I don tell you my own

Ode, so you use what people say on Nairaland as an overview of Nigeria? Get this into your skull, TRIBALISM IS OVERPLAYED IN NL! okay?!
Re: State Of Origin by Afam4eva(m): 3:29pm On Feb 06, 2011
jason123:

. . . . . . . . . . . . .  Why do you think I am named Jason? Is that an itsekiri name or a Uk name? Why do you find it difficult to integrate yourselve in your environment??

Was it when you travelled to the UK that you changed your name? Pls learn to talk sense. How come Indians, Chinese etc  in Britain don't change their names when they get to Britain or America.
Re: State Of Origin by Afam4eva(m): 3:30pm On Feb 06, 2011
jason123:

Ode, so you use what people say on Nairaland as an overview of Nigeria? Get this into your skull, TRIBALISM IS OVERPLAYED IN NL! okay?!

As if what he said is not the truth. If i may ask. Have u ever been to Nigeria?
Re: State Of Origin by aljharem(m): 3:31pm On Feb 06, 2011
afam4eva:

Was it when you travelled to the UK that you changed your name? Pls learn to talk sense. How come Indians, Chinese etc  in Britain don't change their names when they get to Britain or America.

and did he not tell you he was born in the uk

why are you daft like this
Re: State Of Origin by Justcash(m): 3:31pm On Feb 06, 2011
KnowAll:

Did I SAY Yoruba names it could be vice -versa a Yoruba's who grew up in Owerr I personally don't see anything wrong in that person called ugochukwu oluwafemi. That peson has an identity than some one with a name like ugochuckwu Nnamdi claiming to be a lagosian. The problem with people like u, u want to come to a place spewing your foreign language on the locals and feel welcomed afterwards how is that possible when u are not prepared to integrate.

Yorubas who grew up in Togo and Cote Voire all have french first name in unison with the dominant culture around them. Wande Coal is from Taraba State but with a name like that I identify him as a mushin boy rather than a boy from Jalingo.

What you are saying is clear, but not workable and reasonable. I thought we are all Nigerians. Does he truly need to answer a Yoruba name in order to enjoy the privilege that Yoruba Lagosians enjoy? No! It shouldn't be so. You just ended up saying the same thing that I was trying to say. If he decides not to take up a Yoruba name, and still wants the privilege that Lagos sons of the soil enjoy, then he must be dreaming. That is the reason why he needs to go to where he will be seen as a son of the soil, which is Delta state.
I aint gonna stoop low to insult you. You aint making sense. 
Re: State Of Origin by aljharem(m): 3:32pm On Feb 06, 2011
afam4eva:

As if what he said is not the truth. If i may ask. Have u ever been to Nigeria?

the question goes to you, have you ever been to nigeria

hve you ever been to lagos
Re: State Of Origin by Afam4eva(m): 3:32pm On Feb 06, 2011
alj harem:

the question goes to you, have you ever been to nigeria

hve you ever been to lagos

I live in Lagos dumbo.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Pictures Don't Lie: The mosque was not set ablaze / National Economic Council Okays Fg’s Measures To Beat Recession / INEC Yet To Apologise To Nigerians For Its Failure’

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.