Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,037 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:23 AM

Obaseki, Ize-Iyamu Mourn Edo Assembly Ex-Speaker, Zakawanu Garuba - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obaseki, Ize-Iyamu Mourn Edo Assembly Ex-Speaker, Zakawanu Garuba (175 Views)

"I Am Ready To Work With Obaseki" - Ize-Iyamu / Edo Ex-Speaker, Zakawanu Garuba Is Dead / Edo: APC Enlists University Dons, Lawyers To Screen Obaseki, Ize-Iyamu, Others (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obaseki, Ize-Iyamu Mourn Edo Assembly Ex-Speaker, Zakawanu Garuba by 9jaBlogger: 6:56pm On Jul 18, 2020
The Edo State Governor, Mr. Godwin Obaseki, has mourned the passing of former Speaker of the Edo State House of Assembly, Rt. Hon. Zakawanu Garuba.

In a statement made available to Igbere TV on Saturday, in Benin City, the governor said the former Speaker’s passing is “a deep personal loss to him.”

According to him, “I received the news of the passing of Rt. Hon. Zakawanu Garuba with a heavy heart. He was an outstanding Nigerian and a good man. He worked for the good of the people and contributed his quota to the development of his immediate community and the state.

“As Executive Commissioner, Corporate Services & Supervising Executive Commissioner, Operations at the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) Nigeria, late Garuba performed brilliantly, distinguishing himself as a true Edo son with his commitment to duty, innovativeness and sheer dexterity.

“As a politician and Speaker of the Edo State House of Assembly, he performed his tasks diligently, served the people meritoriously and provided sterling leadership to the legislative arm of government.

“He excelled in his private practice as a constitutional lawyer, bringing panache to the noble profession.”

“The former speaker was indeed an astute politician and his wise counsel will be greatly missed. We pray that God grants his family the fortitude to bear the irreparable loss,” he added.

On his part, candidate of the All Progressives Congress for the September 19 Edo Governorship election, Pastor Osagie Ize-Iyamu, in a statement sent to Igbere TV, expressed shock and grief over the demise of the ex-speaker.

In a personal condolence message released by Mr. John Mayaki, the Chairman of the State Media Campaign Council of the APC, Pastor Osagie Ize-Iyamu mourned Zakawanu’s death as a “personal loss” which left him in shock and sober mien.

He said: “The death of Zakawanu Garuba, a former Speaker of Edo State House of Assembly, has left me in shock and a deep sober mien.”

“Zakawanu Garuba was a great friend and dependable ally of many years. I am intimately and especially sad at his demise because we have lost a great asset. All of us, across ideologies and parties, as Edo people, has had an illustrious torch of brilliance and uprightness snuffed out by the cozy wind of death.”

“The sad news is made more tragic for me given the fact that I have looked forward, upon our victorious emergence at the polls, to seek the experienced hands of Zakawanu Garuba in the progressive mission of moving Edo State forward.”

“I have lost a friend; Edo State has lost an achieving son. We all should be sad but remain encouraged to, like Zakawanu Garuba, stand up for the ideals of truth, development, and democratic leadership, living our best lives in accordance with the principles we believe in while we still have life in us. This way, we will be remembered by our great works like we today remember my friend and our leader, Zakawanu Garuba.”

“My prayer is that Allah grants him Jannah, and his family, the fortitude to bear this heart-wrenching loss”.

Igbere TV reports that Hon. Zakawan Garuba was elected into the Edo State House of Assembly in 2003, on the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).

While in the House, he served as chairman of the House committee on judiciary, human rights, and legal matters. He became Speaker in 2007 before his impeachment in 2010. Garuba reportedly died of Coronavirus complications on Saturday morning.

https://igberetvnews.com/1358517/obaseki-ize-iyamu-mourn-edo-assembly-ex-speaker-garuba/

Lalasticlala Seun Mynd44

Re: Obaseki, Ize-Iyamu Mourn Edo Assembly Ex-Speaker, Zakawanu Garuba by GboyegaD(m): 6:58pm On Jul 18, 2020
May his soul rest in peace. Na undisclosed kill this one too?
Re: Obaseki, Ize-Iyamu Mourn Edo Assembly Ex-Speaker, Zakawanu Garuba by Olunmercy56(f): 7:01pm On Jul 18, 2020
Rip.. embarassed
Re: Obaseki, Ize-Iyamu Mourn Edo Assembly Ex-Speaker, Zakawanu Garuba by AmCelestine(m): 7:15pm On Jul 18, 2020
May his soul rest in peace
Re: Obaseki, Ize-Iyamu Mourn Edo Assembly Ex-Speaker, Zakawanu Garuba by DonFreshmoney(m): 7:33pm On Jul 18, 2020
Another politician gone because of Corona virus and fools will say Corona virus is a scam... I pity you

(1) (Reply)

N700m Fraud: CSO Urges Edo Voters To Reject Ize-iyamu Over Criminal Trial •tasks / Buhari Greets Premium Times Publisher On Press Freedom Award / Here Is A Recap Of Some Of The Activities Of VP Osinbajo Last Week.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.