Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,383 members, 7,954,552 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 09:59 PM

Yes, The Legal Profession Is Lucrative - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Yes, The Legal Profession Is Lucrative (506 Views)

Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? / Chartered Accountancy Vs Legal Profession: Which One Is More Lucrative? / How Lucrative Is The Legal Profession? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yes, The Legal Profession Is Lucrative by iceboy4752(m): 7:42pm On Jul 18, 2020
I saw a post on the Front Page some hours ago on whether the legal profession is as lucrative as it used to be. The writer seemed to pose a question but still went ahead to "prove" it is not.
I'm a Law student with few years to go. When an average Nigerian hears the word "lawyer," what readily comes to their mind is a person attired on the legal dressing, defending a person in Court. This is not always so as the profession has evolved beyond just litigation or appearing in courts. Since the inception of multifarious areas of the discipline, like Corporate Law, Maritime Law, Artificial Intelligence Law and Space Law, many upcoming lawyers are carving a niche for themselves and are making it big in the industry. Do you know that some lawyers have never appeared in court, yet they are making it big in the area of corporate law? There are some firms that pay a fresh lawyer nothing less than N200,000 for a startup. A lawyer doesn't necessarily need to be good in arguments. Some wigs are also making much from legal writing. I know a lawyer who earned N3 Million just for writing a bill proposal for a Senator which scaled through second reading. I have a senior in final year who currently writes some processes for one of the serving Senators of the Federal Republic of Nigeria in Adamawa state. Personally, I made N5,000 in March from writing a process for a woman in Jos. I'm working harder to be a better law student everyday, and a top-notch lawyer in the nearest future.
The arguments canvassed by the poster of the thread refered herein, also pointed out that the seniors not giving the juniors a chance. This is true though, but not all seniors are like that. This "problem" has always been like that because the legal profession is solely based on seniority. For example, the next Chief Justice of Nigeria is Ariwoola Oluwakayode if this current CJN dies or is removed. This is because Ariwoola is the most senior lawyer after the current CJN.
It is also true that there are too many graduates and few jobs. Many students are called to the Bar yearly and the competition keeps getting intense. Only the good and strong ones stand out among the others and find it lucrative. The weak ones are those who usually end up as your "charge and bail lawyer."

ADVICE TO LAW ASPIRANTS

You need to upgrade yourself to a marketable version of a lawyer. To achieve this, A solid foundation for your future as a lawyer must be built by you during your undergraduate days. Participate in school activities and intern at any good and reputable law firm to learn many things about the profession that your Company Law lecturer or Constitutional Law lecturer will never teach you. Establish connections with people. Read hard, in fact harder, hardest! Don't ignore anything readable that comes your way even if it is Sociology — lawyers are expected to exhibit an appreciable extent of versatility. Work on your writing skills because writing has become a lawyer's tool for trade in the legal profession as has been stated stated per Lord Denning. Your experience will shapen your CV and give you a good chance to earn bigger than those with lesser experience.
Don't let others discourage you, keep your passion burning. Law is as lucrative as any other lucrative profession, but hardwork is the ultimate sacrifice.
I've been to many Law Faculties in Nigeria for competitions, and I recommend you apply any of these universities:

1. Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria.
2. Covenant University, Sango-Ota.
3. Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife.
4. University of Benin, Benin.
5. University of Calabar
6. University of Ibadan, Ibadan.
7. University of Ilorin.
8. University of Jos.
9. University of Lagos, Akoka.
10. University of Nigeria, Nsukka.

lalasticlala
seun

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yes, The Legal Profession Is Lucrative by ajasay3030(m): 8:27pm On Jul 18, 2020
Well, you have done a great job to defend your profession, but I'm still of the opinion that law is not as lucrative as it was portrayed two decades ago when it was aligned side by side to medicine. You and I know that that ranking is no more valid as at the 18th day of July 2020. As per those you mentioned to have made it big in the profession, we also have it like that in other professions. But is the law profession any way better?

However, I believe success is achievable in any profession/industry with hard work. Thanks for your words of encouragement to the upcoming folks in the profession. If you care to know, I studied Electrical/Electronics Engineering and know nothing about the law profession.

2 Likes

Re: Yes, The Legal Profession Is Lucrative by iceboy4752(m): 9:09pm On Jul 18, 2020
ajasay3030:
Well, you have done a great job to defend your profession, but I'm still of the opinion that law is not as lucrative as it was portrayed two decades ago when it was aligned side by side to medicine. You and I know that that ranking is no more valid as at the 18th day of July 2020. As per those you mentioned to have made it big in the profession, we also have it like that in other professions. But is the law profession any way better?

However, I believe success is achievable in any profession/industry with hard work. Thanks for your words of encouragement to the upcoming folks in the profession. If you care to know, I studied Electrical/Electronics Engineering and know nothing about the law profession.

Thank you. I like how you presented your opinion in a mature manner.
Re: Yes, The Legal Profession Is Lucrative by Viicfuntop(f): 12:02pm On Jul 19, 2020
If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor.

Seun, why should Muslims or anybody be allowed to comment on Christian’s post without having to accept Jesus Christ as their lord and personal savior but we have to accept Mohamad as the prophet to alla. It’s not fair. You are a tech man if that’s what you would call yourself. Look at your fellow tech men around the world. Their minds have been evolving. I feel like you have just been stucked in 2005. Common look at your emojis but why the hell shoujd peope acecpt ala before commenting and the same preference is not given to Christians? What the hell is that? Isn’t that hypocrisy? Look at quota reddit and the rest. All you tech guys on this app, please for your next startup, look at creating a community where there is freedom okay? Please Seun, evolve.

I’ll be posting this till I get a hearing.

(1) (Reply)

Register In Primevault And Become A Millionaire. / Online Writing Jobs, 70 Websites That Can Pay You To Write In 2021 / The Most In Demand Skills For The Future.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.