Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,387 members, 7,822,799 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 05:06 PM

The Magu Saga And The Future Of EFCC - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Magu Saga And The Future Of EFCC (10792 Views)

EFCC Is Being Ran By An Inside Cult Called ‘the Magu Boys’ - Shehu Sani / Photo Of EFCC's Letter To Ike Ekweremadu. Written, Signed & Sent Today / Thabo Mbeki And Buhari At The Commissioning Of EFCC Headquarters In Abuja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Magu Saga And The Future Of EFCC by JosEast(m): 6:26am On Jul 19, 2020
Given my professional scepticism, I do not believe everything lawyers trumpet about the innocence of their clients. It is their duty, right even, to polish the facts, twist the law and convince judges that the white colour does not always look white. It could look black and still be accepted as white, not by the colour blind but by judges in the intricate business of dispensing justice. After all, as the late Justice Adesuyin, the first chief judge of Benue State, once asked a lawyer in his court: “Is the law about the truth?”

If lawyers loudly protest the innocence of their clients entangled in the spider web of the law, I instinctively reach for my bowl of sea salt and help myself to a large pinch. It protects me from being sucked into the vortex of facts that are not facts, the irony of justice in search of truth and polished lies that ache the belly.

So, imagine this. Three days ago, as of this writing, I found the sceptical me drawn to the petition to the presidential investigation committee on the alleged mismanagement of EFCC by Ibrahim Magu’s lawyer, Wahab Shittu. The first sentence that hit me in the petition was this: “The charges against our client are trumped-up allegations designed to tarnish the image and rubbish the credibility and image of EFCC which has been stellar and outstanding under our client’s watch.”

I took a pinch from my bowl of sea salt to steady my nerves for the litany of protestations that would follow by Shitttu to persuade the public that Magu is without stain. I have heard that many times in the various courts in the land. I also know that despite such lawyerly protestations of innocence of their clients, the prisons are filled with men and women whose protestations of innocence by their lawyers, well paid or poorly paid, failed to wash in the courts of law.

Shittu specifically listed some sixteen allegations against his client. His response to each of them is that it “is outright falsehood and is denied by our client in unmistakable terms.” Sure thing.

As I read them, I began to worry about where the Magu saga would lead the country, not only in the longest-running war in the country, the anti-graft war, but more importantly about these fundamental problems: One, through the long years of military rule, we were fed with the propaganda that agbada is unclean, khaki is clean. Two, the firm but unfortunate belief that venality among our public officers is the new national creed. Three, our heightened national appetite for scandals and salacious stories about public officers impaled on the tip of the sword.; this is the transmutation of yesterday’s saints into today’s sinners whose sins are like scarlet.

Magu’s lawyer seems to put the blame for making Magu look like a man painted in coal tar on the news media, always the whipping institution when the mud begins to wash off the muddied. But he has a point. The orchestration of guilt in the news media often amounts to trial by the news media; something everyone in trouble with the law detests.

https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/the-magu-saga-and-the-future-of-efcc.html

2 Likes

Re: The Magu Saga And The Future Of EFCC by SmartProf(m): 6:29am On Jul 19, 2020
Don't bother yourselves with articles again, Nigeria doesn't even seem like we have a future. Something wey get future no dey remain dumb for this long.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Magu Saga And The Future Of EFCC by Nobody: 8:40am On Jul 19, 2020
angry
Re: The Magu Saga And The Future Of EFCC by IMASTEX: 8:41am On Jul 19, 2020
In an environment of lies truth is a stranger. Lies, deception & greed have become a culture in Nigeria. Magu have had his share from a useless system, so will others after him. Time is coming when to steal will be added to oath of public offices.

5 Likes

Re: The Magu Saga And The Future Of EFCC by ForeThinker: 8:41am On Jul 19, 2020
If they do have dragged OshoBaba the way they dragging Magu eh....

Your guesses is as good as my

#2019 election Can of worms n maggots #

1 Like

Re: The Magu Saga And The Future Of EFCC by Abatemtem(m): 8:42am On Jul 19, 2020
This story much
Re: The Magu Saga And The Future Of EFCC by bolaayenimo: 8:42am On Jul 19, 2020
Magu is a rogue. I'm glad Buhari saw through his shenanigans
Re: The Magu Saga And The Future Of EFCC by Nobody: 8:42am On Jul 19, 2020
Na their cloth tear, make them dey sow am

1 Like

Re: The Magu Saga And The Future Of EFCC by emmabest2000(m): 8:43am On Jul 19, 2020
You can't washed away dirtiness with dirty water
HQ of kworoption fighting kworoption grin

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Magu Saga And The Future Of EFCC by Lincoln275(m): 8:43am On Jul 19, 2020
EFCC is the HQ of corruption

1 Like

Re: The Magu Saga And The Future Of EFCC by techmo(m): 8:44am On Jul 19, 2020
cool

North through Buhari has shown us they can't rule or lead successfully

Everywhere in utter chaos and mess , nothing seem to work except corruption

Mallam Abba Kyari was the stabilising factor in this administration just like Tunde Idiagbon of the 80s

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Magu Saga And The Future Of EFCC by goldenboyofpsy(m): 8:45am On Jul 19, 2020
Future of Nigeria
Re: The Magu Saga And The Future Of EFCC by Joefat: 8:45am On Jul 19, 2020
Which future are they talking about??
Re: The Magu Saga And The Future Of EFCC by gasparpisciotta: 8:45am On Jul 19, 2020
No smoke without fire
Re: The Magu Saga And The Future Of EFCC by softworldsystem(m): 8:45am On Jul 19, 2020
GOD IS I GOOD CONTROL NIGERIA MATTER DON TIRE ME
Re: The Magu Saga And The Future Of EFCC by allthingsgood: 8:46am On Jul 19, 2020
This magu saga is the best way to fight corruption. Nobody should be immune from prosecution. It will force whoever occupies that seat in future to make sure his hands are (or at least appear to be) clean.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Magu Saga And The Future Of EFCC by HighQue007: 8:48am On Jul 19, 2020
You are on your own if you believe EFCC is absolutely fighting corruption.
Why can't it operate like others in saner clime.
No arrest warrant signed by a competent judge, no prior investigation before arrest but would rather arrest then start looking for evidence.
EFCC with the NPF came to arrest supposed fraudsters in a federal University in the south west but to my surprise they arrested those present and looted a lot of gadgets of those they didn't meet after breaking into their door , destroyed the building all of that without warrant. Nothing is working aswear
It's not fair!
It's not right!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Magu Saga And The Future Of EFCC by allthingsgood: 8:48am On Jul 19, 2020
techmo:
cool

North through Buhari has shown us they can't rule or lead successfully

Everywhere in utter chaos and mess , nothing seem to work except corruption

It's still better that the east pull them down mentality and hatred for one another

2 Likes

Re: The Magu Saga And The Future Of EFCC by Kendumazy(m): 8:49am On Jul 19, 2020
Indeed there was a country! Crime fighter turned crime bearer. Once money is involved, most of our leaders lose their senses.

Check my signature below to see our products/services
Re: The Magu Saga And The Future Of EFCC by infohenry(m): 8:50am On Jul 19, 2020
This Magu saga whichever way it ended will leave a big dent in the image of Efcc.

The public perception of the commission is at the lowest level which politicians will surely manipulate going forward whenever any charge is brought against them.

1 Like

Re: The Magu Saga And The Future Of EFCC by techmo(m): 8:50am On Jul 19, 2020
allthingsgood:

It's still better that the east pull them down mentality and hatred for one another

I am a Yoruba man to the core and the trash you northerners are leaving behind calling it governance is worst

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Magu Saga And The Future Of EFCC by Austino778: 8:53am On Jul 19, 2020
God"s judgment will prevail in Nigeria n other nations.
Re: The Magu Saga And The Future Of EFCC by Ologbojo2023: 8:55am On Jul 19, 2020
Maga saga has realy shows us another form of corruption in the face of fighting corruption in Nigeria. It is a shame that people we depend on to eliminate the suffering of the masses are making it hard for the masses.
Re: The Magu Saga And The Future Of EFCC by allthingsgood: 8:56am On Jul 19, 2020
techmo:

I am a Yoruba man to the core and the trash you northerners are leaving behind calling it governance is worst

I am not a northerner. So don't get what u are blabbing Besides bad governance is also rife in the west. So no point forming rubbish

2 Likes

Re: The Magu Saga And The Future Of EFCC by iampeterben(m): 8:59am On Jul 19, 2020
Hmmm...
Re: The Magu Saga And The Future Of EFCC by tempest01(m): 9:01am On Jul 19, 2020
I don't hold brief for him, but I presume the Magu debacle is over. They'll replace him with someone else, and that's it.

It's not about fighting corruption, but being aligned with vested interests.

The same agency utilized to arrest Magu for corruption was used to prevent former NDDC MD from testifying against corruption.

This present government is not bent on fighting corruption, but replacing the actors with cronies.cNigeria has a real long, though road to redemption.
Re: The Magu Saga And The Future Of EFCC by chukwuibuipob: 9:02am On Jul 19, 2020
sadHi

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Crisis In Jos / N2.5bn DSO Project: Lai Mohammed Fails To Appear In Court / We Must Back Fuel Subsidy Removal To Move Forward, Civil Societies Appeal To Nig

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.