Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,124 members, 7,957,221 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 09:22 AM

Is It Scriptural For Men Of God To Assign Pastoral Duties To Their Wives? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It Scriptural For Men Of God To Assign Pastoral Duties To Their Wives? (380 Views)

Idowu Iluyomade Resigns Pastoral Appointment With RCCG / Daddy Freeze Is A Liar, Tithing Is Very Scriptural And Was Approved By Jesus / Is Marriage Restitution For Men With 2 Or More Wives Actually Scriptural? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Scriptural For Men Of God To Assign Pastoral Duties To Their Wives? by iamDrRhymes(m): 7:52am On Jul 19, 2020
Truth be told, the 21st Century Church appears to have been scientifically institutionalized- So many things happen in today's church that calls for concern. It is even more shocking that things like these are even done by highly respected men of God. One will wonder where they got these practices from.

One of these is when men of God, most especially the senior pastors exhaust their wives by ascribing pastoral duties to them. Taking a look at the scriptures, especially in the New Testament, we will see that the early apostles never mention or exhaust their wives by terming them as 'first ladies' or 'Pastor Mrs'- they all made little or no emphasis on their spouses throughout.

It is undeniably obvious that the way today's men of God project their spouses is a sharp contrast to the examples will see in the Bible. In fact, it is now very easy to mistake church posters for wedding banner these days and it is almost as if Men of God project their love lives. Wives of Men of God sits in gigantic chairs with their husbands in most churches, chairs that are even more gloried than by other men of God. How can that be?

I have seen churches where members knee before pastor's wife in the name of 'anointing'. Sometimes ago, I saw a wife of very popular man of God anointing people and to my greatest surprise, even junior pastors and other senior pastors that were present at the meeting. How can a woman anoint another man of God just because she is a wife of a senior pastor? Could this be scriptural?

Here are my questions:
Do men of God spiritually share anointing with their wives?
What is the scriptural basis for that if yes?
Does 1 Corinthian 14:34-35 also applies to pastors wife?
Or could it be that pastors have indeed personalize churches they preside over as family business? Please I will like to learn more from you guys. Happy Sunday!

Re: Is It Scriptural For Men Of God To Assign Pastoral Duties To Their Wives? by Nobody: 7:55am On Jul 19, 2020
As long as Christianity(The gospel according to Jesus CHRIST) is concerned, women have no place in church authority.
A pastor’s wife is like a Governor’s wife.
Should she be respected? Yes!
Can she have influence in the way a state is run? Yes, covertly in the bedroom.

That said, a pastor’s wife is only useful to her husband and should maintain her high status inside her house. Any church led by a woman or with female pastors/priests is not a Bible-believing church.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Scriptural For Men Of God To Assign Pastoral Duties To Their Wives? by Missyajoke(f): 7:57am On Jul 19, 2020
I don't know

1 Like

Re: Is It Scriptural For Men Of God To Assign Pastoral Duties To Their Wives? by PremierGuy(m): 7:58am On Jul 19, 2020
iamDrRhymes:

Truth be told, the 21st Century Church appears to have been scientifically institutionalized- So many things happen in today's church that calls for concern. It is even more shocking that things like these are even done by highly respected men of God. One will wonder where they got these practices from.

One of these is when men of God, most especially the senior pastors exhaust their wives by ascribing pastoral duties to them. Taking a look at the scriptures, especially in the New Testament, we will see that the early apostles never mention or exhaust their wives by terming them as 'first ladies' or 'Pastor Mrs'- they all made little or no emphasis on their spouses throughout.

It is undeniably obvious that the way today's men of God project their spouses is a sharp contrast to the examples will see in the Bible. In fact, it is now very easy to mistake church posters for wedding banner these days and it is almost as if Men of God project their love lives. Wives of Men of God sits in gigantic chairs with their husbands in most churches, chairs that are even more gloried than by other men of God. How can that be?

I have seen churches where members knee before pastor's wife in the name of 'anointing'. Sometimes ago, I saw a wife of very popular man of God anointing people and to my greatest surprise, even junior pastors and other senior pastors that were present at the meeting. How can a woman anoint another man of God just because she is a wife of a senior pastor? Could this be scriptural?

Here are my questions:
Do men of God spiritually share anointing with their wives?
Or could it be that pastors have indeed personalize churches they preside over as family business? Please I will like to learn more from you guys. Happy Sunday!

I have been having the same thoughts as well, maybe someone can explain.

In orthodox churches apart from Catholic, when a man is ordained, their wives are not part of the package or referred to as 'Rev Mrs' or 'Bishop Mrs'. This is more common within the pentecostal and charismatic churches.
Happy to learn.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Scriptural For Men Of God To Assign Pastoral Duties To Their Wives? by Finallydead: 8:18am On Jul 19, 2020
iamDrRhymes:

Here are my questions:
Do men of God spiritually share
PremierGuy:

In orthodox churches apart from Catholic, when a man is ordained, their wives are not part of the package or referred to as 'Rev Mrs' or 'Bishop Mrs'. This is more common within the pentecostal and charismatic churches.
Happy to learn.
Missyajoke:
I don't know

A man being called to ministry doesn't automatically mean his wife is called to that. She might be called to any other career. What they may share however is complementary assistance to each other. e.g. The wives career services being used in one way or another to help the man's ministry.

However, if you want to know if a woman can have a pastoral office over male congregation, the scripture is not in anyway against this but only a misunderstanding of Paul's parable leads to confusion. Here's is an excerpt of mine that may help and you may ask for clarifications.

... This is also why you have a challenge with Paul's words in 1Cor14:35, but you wouldn't have if you saw in v34"...as also says the Torah..." and the Torah is always the basis of similar injunctions Paul gave (also in 1Cor11, which is based on the law of a woman shaving her head when no more under her husband and covering her head once under a man).
Now slow down and read Paul's letters/acts and you would find him fighting tooth and toenail with anyone who tried to impose the traditional/literal/natural applications of the Torah as enemies of Christ's cross and dogs(Php3:2,18) and never bringing such a yoke on the churches(Gal3:10). So tell me, why would you think Paul would hypocritically put a literal/traditional application of the law stated in v34 on the churches? Because you missed Paul's ideology of the application of the law only in its spiritual context(Rom7:14) and never again in its traditional/literal. That's why he would say no more literal curcumcision(Gal5:2-4) but again present a spiritual circumcision(Rom2:28-29, Php3:3) and he would apply the law of the ox not for a literal ox but for the spiritual ox, the ministers of God (1Cor9:7-9). Also in these about male and female, they are referred to the spiritual Male and spiritual Female in the context of ministerial order, here in the Prophetic Ministry and in 1Tim2 in doctrine teaching ministry

Don't also forget what I told you about 2 or 3 witnesses. Never establish a doctrine without 2 or 3 witnesses else you come up with falsehood.(Mt18:19, Deut19:15, Heb10:28, 1Tim5:19)
Consider that no one ever brought gender-specific instructions for the administration of gifts because it didn't ever exist and Paul, himself makes mention of eminent Apostle Junia too(who by office must have had churches under her oversight). Deborah in the OT was also the judge(which was the role of Supreme leader in Israel before they changed it for kings)
Re: Is It Scriptural For Men Of God To Assign Pastoral Duties To Their Wives? by Origin(f): 8:26am On Jul 19, 2020
Women do have a role to play in religion. By teaching the children and other women.

They may not teach the men?(i personally dont see why not).

But there are many matters that many women would only open up to other women about. And women have always been good teachers/role models for children.

1 Like

Re: Is It Scriptural For Men Of God To Assign Pastoral Duties To Their Wives? by DropsMic(m): 8:29am On Jul 19, 2020
.... Family business

1 Like

Re: Is It Scriptural For Men Of God To Assign Pastoral Duties To Their Wives? by iamDrRhymes(m): 9:41am On Jul 19, 2020
DropsMic:
.... Family business

Are you a Christian?
Re: Is It Scriptural For Men Of God To Assign Pastoral Duties To Their Wives? by iamDrRhymes(m): 10:32am On Jul 19, 2020
emrain:
As long as Christianity(The gospel according to Jesus CHRIST) is concerned, women have no place in church authority.
A pastor’s wife is like a Governor’s wife.
Should she be respected? Yes!
Can she have influence in the way a state is run? Yes, covertly in the bedroom.

That said, a pastor’s wife is only useful to her husband and should maintain her high status inside her house. Any church led by a woman or with female pastors/priests is not a Bible-believing church.

But we have women serving as even led pastors in some churches of today and we can't deny the fact that they are also doing great stuffs. Am lost in this.
Re: Is It Scriptural For Men Of God To Assign Pastoral Duties To Their Wives? by iamDrRhymes(m): 10:35am On Jul 19, 2020
PremierGuy:

Happy to learn.

I think it's a Pentecostal and Charistmatic church thing.
Re: Is It Scriptural For Men Of God To Assign Pastoral Duties To Their Wives? by Nobody: 10:40am On Jul 19, 2020
iamDrRhymes:

But we have women serving as even led pastors in some churches of today and we can't deny the fact that they are also doing great stuffs. Am lost in this.

Yup, a well-trained monkey can run a church successfully, that doesn't mean a church was designed to be run by a monkey.

Nobody is saying women shouldn't lead, neither am I saying women are bad leaders. I'm simply saying the Christian church is not designed for women to lead.

Any church that is led by a woman is not a Bible-believing church. It is a business venture with a female CEO.

1 Like

Re: Is It Scriptural For Men Of God To Assign Pastoral Duties To Their Wives? by iamDrRhymes(m): 10:57am On Jul 19, 2020
Finallydead:

A man being called to ministry doesn't automatically mean his wife is called to that. She might be called to any other career. What they may share however is complementary assistance to each other. e.g. The wives career services being used in one way or another to help the man's ministry.

However, if you want to know if a woman can have a pastoral office over male congregation, the scripture is not in anyway against this but only a misunderstanding of Paul's parable leads to confusion. Here's is an excerpt of mine that may help and you may ask for clarifications.

If you're lost, you can ask for clarifications.

You made mention of Apostle Junia, please am hearing about her the first time. Elaborate please
Re: Is It Scriptural For Men Of God To Assign Pastoral Duties To Their Wives? by iamDrRhymes(m): 11:00am On Jul 19, 2020
emrain:

Yup, a well-trained monkey can run a church successfully, that doesn't mean a church was designed to be run by a monkey.

Nobody is saying women shouldn't lead, neither am I saying women are bad leaders. I'm simply saying the Christian church is not designed for women to lead.

Any church that is led by a woman is not a Bible-believing church. It is a business venture with a female CEO.

If you have read the book, 'Christ Generals', you will see women that were used powerfully by God. They also headed churches.
Re: Is It Scriptural For Men Of God To Assign Pastoral Duties To Their Wives? by Finallydead: 12:09pm On Jul 19, 2020
iamDrRhymes:

You made mention of Apostle Junia, please am hearing about her the first time. Elaborate please
I mentioned Apostle Junia, a woman who Paul called chief among apostles.(Rom16:7)
I also mentioned Deborah(Jdg4:4). She was the judge over Israel which was a greater role than today's pastoral ministry, as it was the governing role/seat of power over the whole nation. Moses was the first judge who handed down to Joshua and it continued all the way to Samuel before Israel rebelled and said they wanted a king over them.
Paul never had the slightest idea to suggest that women should not pastor or teach, and that's why no mention of such is made by any others in NT as it was never a doctrine.
He was indicating a spiritual principle from the Torah that must be applied spiritually and not literally. It has however been taken literally hence the confusion in churches today about female ministry.

1 Like

Re: Is It Scriptural For Men Of God To Assign Pastoral Duties To Their Wives? by mbaise1000: 12:40pm On Jul 19, 2020
[color=#006600][/color]
Finallydead:

I mentioned Apostle Junia, a woman who Paul called chief among apostles.(Rom16:7)
I also mentioned Deborah(Jdg4:4). She was the judge over Israel which was a greater role than today's pastoral ministry, as it was the governing role/seat of power over the whole nation. Moses was the first judge who handed down to Joshua and it continued all the way to Samuel before Israel rebelled and said they wanted a king over them.
Paul never had the slightest idea to suggest that women should not pastor or teach, and that's why no mention of such is made by any others in NT as it was never a doctrine.
He was indicating a spiritual principle from the Torah that must be applied spiritually and not literally. It has however been taken literally hence the confusion in churches today about female ministry.

bros, how about you quote all of romans 16:7
and explain 1 cor. 14:33--35.
there are positions in THE church that are not for women and pastors is one of those.
it is wrong for a woman to head a congregation of GOD but then only those with the right revelation of who Jesus is will accept the word of GOD. we will all interpret the BIBLE the way it pleases us but that will not change who GOD is and HIS plan for those that accept the truth

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Odumeje Indabosky And Flavor Na Abania Ijele Rocking Show With Cash Everywhere / This World Is Coming To An End See What Church Are Doing To The Worshipers. / Evil Men Don't Understand Justice (from Proverbs 28:5)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.