Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,924 members, 7,952,721 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 10:18 PM

Consider Your Safety, Senior Physicians Warn 58 Uk-bound Doctors - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Consider Your Safety, Senior Physicians Warn 58 Uk-bound Doctors (373 Views)

"NMA Membership Not Compulsory For Physicians" - Court Rules / Medical Brain Drain In Zimbabwe: Government Blocks UK-Bound Nurses (Video) / Using Saliva As Sexual Lubricant Can Spread HIV, Hepatitis — Physicians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Consider Your Safety, Senior Physicians Warn 58 Uk-bound Doctors by authority2006(m): 8:31am On Jul 19, 2020
Nigerian medical doctors wishing to leave the country for overseas jobs may have to reconsider their stance, owing to the rising COVID-19 pandemic globally, their senior colleagues have said.

Senior health care workers say this is not the time for doctors to be in a rush to leave the country, “irrespective of the attractive welfare package beckoning abroad.”

They hinged their counselling on what they described as “the multiple risks presented by the pandemic, especially for health workers.”

Recall that Nigeria Immigration Service at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos, recently intercepted 58 Nigerian doctors who were travelling to the UK.

The NIS said 56 of the doctors did not have requisite visa for their journey.

It has been observed that before the COVID-19 pandemic, health workers were leaving the country in droves, attributing their action to poor working conditions, lack of job satisfaction, low wage and high tax, among others.

In separate interviews with PUNCH HealthWise on the issue, medical experts urged doctors who wish to leave the country to consider their safety first, rather than the welfare package and opportunities being offered.

A past President, Association of Professional Bodies of Nigeria, Dr. Omede Idris, said the COVID-19 pandemic had presented lots of uncertainties globally that require caution before one thinks of leaving the country.

Idris, also a former President, Nigerian Medical Association, said, “I am so shocked that some doctors are going for greener pastures now. This is the time the whole world is saying, ‘Stay where you are.’

The COVID-19 situation that we are in now, nobody can predict what will happen the next minute. Whatever greener pastures they want to acquire, they may not be there to enjoy it.

“Those desperate to leave the country should also know that they are going to another nation. Sometimes, what they think they will get may never be as expected when they get there.

“So, let them not be in a rush to leave the country.”
Re: Consider Your Safety, Senior Physicians Warn 58 Uk-bound Doctors by authority2006(m): 8:35am On Jul 19, 2020
And many of them will be vulnerable to covid-19 going by their ages. I guess they didn't truly know what they were signing for. Nigerian government actually saved them from meeting their doom
Re: Consider Your Safety, Senior Physicians Warn 58 Uk-bound Doctors by RIHMEEK(m): 8:39am On Jul 19, 2020
UK government are paying 60,000 pounds for family of health workers who died of covid, not long ago our health workers were collecting 5000 naira as hazard allowance. Nonsensehttps://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/929430&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwjgkJuh59jqAhVHg3IEHU3fDigQFjACegQICRAB&usg=AOvVaw0AjpzWi9MS9vE08eI5R5WD
Re: Consider Your Safety, Senior Physicians Warn 58 Uk-bound Doctors by Nobody: 8:52am On Jul 19, 2020
RIHMEEK:
UK government are paying 60,000 pounds for family of health workers who died of covid, not long ago our health workers were collecting 5000 naira as hazard allowance. Nonsense

As they're going illegally, tell me how they want to pay them 60k pounds without work permit? Even if they give them some shady emploment in some private hospitals, if they die, their family would have no legal grounds to claim anything, not even their corpses.

We already know that Nigerian government and the politicians that make up the government have been irresponsible, it's not doctors alone who are affected, it is everyone; lawyers, teachers etc. Nobody can stop anyone from leaving, but if you want to leave, leave with common sense.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Consider Your Safety, Senior Physicians Warn 58 Uk-bound Doctors by RIHMEEK(m): 8:56am On Jul 19, 2020
loneprof:

As they're going illegally, tell me how they want to pay them 60k pounds without papers.

We already know that Nigerian government and the politicians that make up the government have been irresponsible, it's not doctors alone who are affected, it is everyone; lawyers, accountants etc. Nobody can stop anyone from leaving, but if you want to leave, leave with common sense.
Do you really think that amount of medical personnels will leave without a solid arrangements?
Re: Consider Your Safety, Senior Physicians Warn 58 Uk-bound Doctors by donbachi(m): 8:57am On Jul 19, 2020
Why not make them offer they cannot reject.
Re: Consider Your Safety, Senior Physicians Warn 58 Uk-bound Doctors by Nobody: 8:58am On Jul 19, 2020
RIHMEEK:
Do you really think that amount of medical personnels will leave without a solid arrangements?

Actually, I thought of that. Unless the UK government is stealing doctors through a backdoor arrangement, there's no other solid basis for them to leave.

Then again, they could still deny them of their rights if they die prematurely from Covid-19. I just feel they can always wait till after the pandemic. Doctors are hot cake all over the world.
Re: Consider Your Safety, Senior Physicians Warn 58 Uk-bound Doctors by Charleys: 9:00am On Jul 19, 2020
This man want to guilt trip doctors not to go to anywhere. grin
Re: Consider Your Safety, Senior Physicians Warn 58 Uk-bound Doctors by Nobody: 9:01am On Jul 19, 2020
donbachi:
Why not make them offer they cannot reject.

They would have to make nurses, health technicians, lab scientists the same offer too then, not just doctors. Even the hospital cleaners and security are at risk of Covid-19.

Everything is just happening based on the failure of leadership over the years...
Re: Consider Your Safety, Senior Physicians Warn 58 Uk-bound Doctors by RIHMEEK(m): 9:08am On Jul 19, 2020
loneprof:

Actually, I thought of that. Unless the UK government is stealing doctors through a backdoor arrangement, there's no other solid basis for them to leave.

Then again, they could still deny them of their rights if they die prematurely from Covid-19. I just feel they can always wait till after the pandemic. Doctors are hot cake all over the world.
You are right but then again this move will make both the states and fg to sit up
Re: Consider Your Safety, Senior Physicians Warn 58 Uk-bound Doctors by Nobody: 9:10am On Jul 19, 2020
RIHMEEK:
You are right but then again this move will make both the states and fg to sit up

I wish teachers and military men could be scarce too... those ones have been cheated for too long. embarassed
Re: Consider Your Safety, Senior Physicians Warn 58 Uk-bound Doctors by RIHMEEK(m): 9:10am On Jul 19, 2020
loneprof:

They would have to make nurses, health technicians, lab scientists the same offer too then, not just doctors. Even the hospital cleaners and security are at risk of Covid-19.

Everything is just happening based on the failure of leadership over the years...
You are right
Re: Consider Your Safety, Senior Physicians Warn 58 Uk-bound Doctors by RIHMEEK(m): 9:12am On Jul 19, 2020
loneprof:

I wish teachers and military men could be scarce too... those ones have been cheated for too long. embarassed
Every sector in Nigeria has been perpetually cheated over the years except the political office holders. Even in the midst of pandemic the are busy buying SUVs for themselves
Re: Consider Your Safety, Senior Physicians Warn 58 Uk-bound Doctors by Nobody: 9:18am On Jul 19, 2020
RIHMEEK:
Every sector in Nigeria has been perpetually cheated over the years except the political office holders. Even in the midst of pandemic the are busy buying SUVs for themselves

Abi... grin
Re: Consider Your Safety, Senior Physicians Warn 58 Uk-bound Doctors by SirWarlock: 9:32am On Jul 19, 2020
I still don't understand this news undecided. Aren't international flights still on hold in Nigeria talkless, let alone from Nigeria to UK sad. Or a they British citizens? undecided
Re: Consider Your Safety, Senior Physicians Warn 58 Uk-bound Doctors by authority2006(m): 11:29am On Jul 21, 2020
SirWarlock:
I still don't understand this news undecided. Aren't international flights still on hold in Nigeria talkless, let alone from Nigeria to UK sad. Or a they British citizens? undecided

I think there are special permissions. Just that it's too risky for them now
Re: Consider Your Safety, Senior Physicians Warn 58 Uk-bound Doctors by laiperi: 11:49am On Jul 21, 2020
Nigerian politicians make more money than any other politicians in the world, they and their families still leave. At least until they are facing criminal prosecution for money laundering or deported.

So what is the difference between money laundering and talent laundering?

(1) (Reply)

Message / Florida Anti-masker Records His Regret From Hospital Bed / Lose Belly Fat In 3 Days With An Easy Egg Diet!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.