Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,114 members, 7,953,418 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 03:52 PM

Betty Irabor On Hiv - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Betty Irabor On Hiv (1918 Views)

Court Legalises Abalaka's HIV Vaccine, 16 Years After / How true is WHO statistics on Hiv/Aids In Nigeria? / Nobel Laureate,dr. Luc Montagnier On Hiv Cure (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Betty Irabor On Hiv by Imani(f): 5:49pm On Jun 15, 2007
I just saw this story and thought to share with Nairalanders.

In a recent edition of Genevieve Magazine, Betty Irabor, the acclaimed editor, in her editor's note referred to an incident that occurred when shooting the cover of the March 2007 Edition of the magazine which featured HIV-Positive mother and activist, Yinka Jegede-Ekpe. Please read the following link i got from a blog

http://bp2.blogger.com/_IfL2RoqAOoQ/RnAjQ1qxydI/AAAAAAAAAvE/XZiHJL3sIf0/s1600-h/Betty_Irabor__Morning_Dew_June_07.JPG

The article caused a stir and forced Betty Irabor to issue and apology. Please see following link

http://www.genevievemag.com/morning.htm

Now, the question is,  why did such a respected journalist display the attitude she did, considering the fact that she had invited the lady in question for a shoot.?

While she did not mean any harm, the article in itself was insensitive and thus highlights the plight and social stigma faced by PLWHA (People living with HIV/AIDS).  There is also need for more education about HIV/AIDS and about the effects of discrimination against these people. They are not second class citizens.

With educated and knowledgeable people like Betty exhibiting such ignorant attitudes, what do we expect from the lay man? Of course, this kind of articles makes it even harder for people especially women(who are the target group for the Mag) to go for testing or even reveal their HIV status.

However, the article also highlights the need to be careful with issues such as the use of shared objects such as blades, clippers in places like salons, barbers etc in public places.

The lady in question was said to have been infected through the unhygienic practices of her dentist in 1997. She was a nursing student and had to fight for her right to continue her education when she revealed her status. She was 19. she is currently married to a man that is also HIV positive.

What are your thoughts on this article? Was Betty just reacting normally or was she out of line?
Re: Betty Irabor On Hiv by Imani(f): 9:14am On Jun 16, 2007
Some people feel she was justified in her reaction, because some of beuticians and even medical and dental people are just careless and why should she pay for someone else's carelessness just like what happened to Yinka Jegede Epke?
Re: Betty Irabor On Hiv by bebe2007(m): 5:13pm On Jun 19, 2007
I can say she didnt mean any harm. Its only natural for one to react like that. If i were in her shoes i would definately do the same. Hairdressers are very careless, i can imagine contacting HIV from the saloon. WOULD DEFINATELY KILL THE PARTICULAR HAIR DRESSER. I went to a saloon here in lag and the hairdresser was using a used razor to  loosen someones weave-on. When i asked why? she replied "No be just thread sister, i no touch the head" what if a mistake occurs?? million dollar question. For those who loosen their weave-on in the saloon, be careful too. The essence of Betty's message is for all to be aware and be careful, nothing should be taken for granted. I do not see it as discriminatory. Caution thats all she is preaching.
Re: Betty Irabor On Hiv by Imani(f): 10:00pm On Jun 19, 2007
bebe2007:

I can say she didnt mean any harm. Its only natural for one to react like that. If i were in her shoes i would definately do the same. Hairdressers are very careless, i can imagine contacting HIV from the saloon. WOULD DEFINATELY KILL THE PARTICULAR HAIR DRESSER. I went to a saloon here in lag and the hairdresser was using a used razor to  loosen someones weave-on. When i asked why? she replied "No be just thread sister, i no touch the head" what if a mistake occurs?? million dollar question. For those who loosen their weave-on in the saloon, be careful too. The essence of Betty's message is for all to be aware and be careful, nothing should be taken for granted. I do not see it as discriminatory. Caution thats all she is preaching.

1. Maybe some of the hairdressers are careless, especially in "local" saloons. But definately not all. It all boils down to the quality of training they were given.

2. Please don't kill anyone o. Nigeria still has death sentence for some murders. grin

3. It is discriminatory in the way she acted and not just what she said. I am not particularly offended with the words, but in the context in which they were used.

You are right, that what if a mistake occurs through carelessness or negligence of the saloon people? Afterall, the lady in question contacted HIV through unhygienic practices.  However, there is already a lot of stigma and social exclusion attached to being AID positive, and we don't need to add to it.
Re: Betty Irabor On Hiv by sartorius(m): 8:23am On Jun 20, 2007
she has retracted the statement, production mix up, haba
Re: Betty Irabor On Hiv by Imani(f): 4:37pm On Jun 20, 2007
sartorius:

she has retracted the statement, production mix up, haba

grin grin grin is that the excuse for her poor handling of a situation?

She only "retracted" the statement, after her attention was brought to it by her readers.

Anyway, she has apologised. . .everyone makes mistakes.
Re: Betty Irabor On Hiv by LADUNDE(f): 12:23am On Jun 21, 2007
I read ds particular editorial. Betty really goofed. Bt wat crossed my mind when reading dat piece was dt no matter how enlightened, educated, exposed we are on d issue of PLWHA, d cultural aspect of our lives wil stil come into play as betty displayed. What i faulted her is dt she could have displayed a simple tact!
Re: Betty Irabor On Hiv by LADUNDE(f): 12:24am On Jun 21, 2007
I read ds particular editorial. Betty really goofed. Bt wat crossed my mind when reading dat piece was dt no matter how enlightened, educated, exposed we are on d issue of PLWHA, d cultural aspect of our lives wil stil come into play as betty displayed. What i faulted her is dt she could have displayed a simple tact!
Re: Betty Irabor On Hiv by Imani(f): 1:32pm On Jun 21, 2007
LADUNDE:

I read ds particular editorial. Betty really goofed. Bt what crossed my mind when reading that piece was dt no matter how enlightened, educated, exposed we are on d issue of PLWHA, d cultural aspect of our lives wil stil come into play as betty displayed. What i faulted her is dt she could have displayed a simple tact!

You are right. A simple tact would have helped. She didn't even need to relate the story to herself. But at least she was honest about her feelings even though they were not "politically correct"
Re: Betty Irabor On Hiv by Nobody: 10:14am On Jul 03, 2007
The woman opened up and trusted Betty and Betty made such stigmatizing statements. People like Betty make our fight against HIV and AIDS really difficult. How do you tell a person to live positively with statements like this.
When Negative people are mean to positive people some of these negative people could be pushed to do bad things. If this woman had not opened up about her statusBetty would not have known let alone make such an unguarded statement.
My point, it takes a lot of courage for people to go for voluntary counceeling and testing, it even takes more courage for them to live positvely and open up about their staus, if we donot support them, then we will definately be taking backward steps. Am really disappionted in Betty, She should know better.
Re: Betty Irabor On Hiv by engee2(f): 3:13pm On Jul 05, 2007
ma dear she did want an average Nigerian would do if it were them.i dnt think she would make a stupid comment knowing how much t would hurt the other people. that Wat they call REFLEX
Re: Betty Irabor On Hiv by Nobody: 9:24am On Jul 06, 2007
The difference is that she is not an average Nigerian, She has the power to shape a lot of peoples perspectives. She is a public figure and a journalist. When Obasanjo hugged a postive person that changed a lot of peoples attitude towards positve living people.
The way you and I may react when faced with a situation may not attract attention but when a public figure does something it generates a lot of attraction because some people look at them as role models

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Get A Long Range Wireless Intercom Installed In Your Clinic Or Hospital / 69th Independence Day Essays In Marathi Script| 15 August Marathi Essays 2015 / Getting Pregnant Fast: 6 Dos And Don’ts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.