Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,248 members, 7,818,857 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:46 AM

Why Do Mosquitoes Buzz Around The Ear? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Why Do Mosquitoes Buzz Around The Ear? (486 Views)

Bill Gates Reveals Why He Really, Really Hates Mosquitoes / 5 Types Of People That Easily Attract Mosquitoes / Lady Makes A Collection Of All The Mosquitoes She Has Killed (Pictured) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Mosquitoes Buzz Around The Ear? by LtChisom: 8:34am On Jul 22, 2020
Yes! Am grateful I got up to 6 hours sleep today, my grandfather had asthma, I've seen some of it from my father's line infact, our last born sometimes suffers breathing problems if in contact with allergens but I've never suffered any of those but I can sneeze like 100 times if an insecticide is sprayed wherever I am, am an animal activist and most times I advocate for natural ways to eliminate animals that we ain't comfortable with in our environment.

Am a little bit hairy and hate sleeping with clothes; I enjoy that early moments of sleep before the deep sleep but once I hear that mosquito buzz sound, that is all, my nap is over and I hate it cos I find it hard to sleep without an external help most times.

I use to think the mosquitoes are angry they can't get a place to feed on my body so they disturb my sleep so that I can unconsciously turn to expose a softer and blood richer part, or they are outrightly punishing me for depriving them of they meal, my only comfort and temporal joy is the sight of bursting them whenever I wake up as am reciprocating their gesture.

I love not to be wrong or ignorant, why would mosquitoes do that in the first place, as usual, google: THEY'RE ACTUALLY SINGING MATING SONGS FOR EACH OTHER. WTF! So my ear is their love garden park and spot, first of all why do mosquitoes drink blood?

Mosquitoes (alternate spelling mosquitos) comprise a group of about 3,500 species of small insects that are flies (order Diptera). Within Diptera they constitute the family Culicidae (from the Latin culex meaning "gnat"wink. The word "mosquito" (formed by mosca and diminutive -ito) is Spanish for "little fly". Mosquitoes have a slender segmented body, one pair of wings, one pair of halteres, three pairs of long hair-like legs, and elongated mouthparts.

The mosquito life cycle consists of egg, larva, pupa, and adult stages. Eggs are laid on the water surface; they hatch into motile larvae that feed on aquatic algae and organic material.

Once they leave the larval stage through molts — phases in which they shed their skins — mosquitoes become pupae. Mosquito pupae do not feed at all. Instead, all of their fuel for this stage of life must be acquired during the larval stage.

Eventually, the pupae rise to the water’s surface, sprout wings and become the adult mosquitoes with which we're all familiar. Here the mosquito’s food pyramid broadens rather than narrows. Why? It all comes down to the difference between male and female mosquitoes.
In the world of mosquitoes, You may be surprised to learn that mosquitoes are primarily vegetarians, and they only occasionally indulge in carnivorous cravings. Adult mosquitoes are either male or female. Like butterflies, bees and many other insects, all male and female mosquitoes have a nutritional need for sugar, which can be supplied by the nectar of flowering plants.
However, once they reach adulthood, female mosquitoes are ready to breed and lay eggs. To do this, they require protein and lipids—both of which are found in the blood of other animals.
The adult females of most species have tube-like mouthparts (called a proboscis) that can pierce the skin of a host and feed on blood,

The reason why only female mosquitoes drink blood is so that they can nourish their child-bearing bodies. Blood is full of proteins and amino acids, which makes it the perfect prenatal supplement for growing mosquito eggs, which is why only female mosquitoes drink blood. When female mosquitoes aren’t drinking your blood, they eat plant nectar just like their male counterparts. Meanwhile, male mosquitoes simply still need the sugar meals.
In a nutshell, your blood is fueling the next generation of mosquitoes. It’s sad (and a bit gross) but true!

Thousands of mosquito species feed on the blood of various hosts ⁠— vertebrates, including mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians, and some fish; along with some invertebrates, primarily other arthropods. This loss of blood is seldom of any importance to the host.

The mosquito's saliva is transferred to the host during the bite, and can cause an itchy rash. In addition, many species can ingest pathogens while biting, and transmit them to future hosts. In this way, mosquitoes are important vectors of diseases such as malaria, yellow fever, Chikungunya, West Nile, dengue fever, filariasis, Zika and other arboviruses.

A female mosquito ready to lay eggs doesn't need to feed exclusively on human blood. Birds, like crows, jays, robins and sparrows, must also fend off biting mosquitoes. The same goes for waterfowl, such as ducks, geese and herons. Outside of the bird kingdom, small mammals such as raccoons have a place on the mosquito’s food pyramid, as do some snakes, lizards, frogs and fish.

While some mosquito species, like the tiger mosquito, do prefer to drink human blood, the real reason mosquitoes bite humans is because they often present the most attractive target when their preferred food source is in short supply.

Studies have shown that female mosquitoes have a few preferences when it comes to choosing the perfect human to drink from and mosquitoes are alerted to the presence of a nearby food source by a number of factors, including movement, smell, the source’s carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions and much more. The average human being exhales more CO2 than, say, a squirrel, and makes a bigger blip on the hungry female mosquito’s radar and an easier overall target. The human body also features odor-producing chemicals that, while unpleasant or undetectable to us, make the female mosquito’s mouth water.

Blood Type O – A majority of humans release a chemical through their skin that indicates their blood type. Mosquitoes have the ability to detect this, and studies have shown that mosquitoes prefer Type O blood over A or B types (Stromberg, J., 2013)

Exercise, Sweat, and High Body Temperature – Imagine being outside cutting the grass or hiking out in the woods. Your body temperature is rising and you’re sweating more and more. The buildup of lactic acid, uric acid, and ammonia, all found in sweat, are strong attractants to mosquitos (Stromberg, J., 2013)

Pregnancy – The cycle of life can be a bit strange, and according to the study, female mosquitos like a pregnant woman’s blood to feed their own growing babies (Stromberg, J., 2013)

Most female mosquitos only drink blood during the early morning and during sunset, as they seek shelter during the hottest parts of the day. However, Asian Tiger mosquitos will hunt all day, and disturbing a mosquito’s nest will prompt them to go after your tasty blood!

Are human beings a mosquito delicacy? Maybe so. But many of us know firsthand that our position at the top of the mosquito food pyramid doesn't mean we rarely get bitten. Mosquitoes begin breeding mere days after achieving maturity, and female mosquitoes can live for more than one month and lay thousands of eggs.

Before I conclude, let’s get some facts straight.
Both male and female mosquitoes buzz, since they both have wings, but you probably won’t notice the whine of the males, because they don’t want to drink your blood. So they stay away from your ears, eating nectar, while the females come near to annoy you.
Two, the buzzing sound is made by them when they flutter their wings very fast, as fast as 250 times per second!

There is actually some scientific research done on this issue and there is a result even though it might not be 100% reliable. Basically, the main reason why they like buzzing around your ear so much is that they are attracted to the smell. You see, with the exception of our belly button, our ear is one of the dirtiest places in our bodies, especially the insides of the ear.

If the ears are not cleaned regularly, they form ear wax, which emits a smell that mosquitoes love, thus they will tend to go for that smell.

Scientists have discovered that the buzz of mosquitoes is more than just a way to annoy you. It’s actually important to help them find suitable mates.

Since female mosquitoes are larger, they flap their wings slower, and males know it. They use the distinctive pitch of the females’ buzz to recognize them. Louis M. Roth, who studied yellow fever mosquitoes for the U.S. Army during World War II, noticed that males ignored females whenever the females were quietly resting, but whenever the females were flying, and therefore buzzing, the males wanted to mate with them. The males even wanted to mate with recordings of female mosquitoes or tuning forks that vibrated at the same pitch.

There is also another theory: they do so because they are attracted to the carbon dioxide which you emit when you exhale, but that is not proven yet.

At least now, we all know we shouldn't just hate them straight away, it ain't their fault and we should temper justice with mercy to these beautiful animals.

SOURCES:

I removed most of the links where I got these information from because I normally get banned once I put links to my posts. They are almost six urls.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Mosquitoes Buzz Around The Ear? by allen113: 8:38am On Jul 22, 2020
me read this long write up? no way.
Abeg person way read am, summarise am for me.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Mosquitoes Buzz Around The Ear? by majamajic(m): 8:38am On Jul 22, 2020
Noted !
Re: Why Do Mosquitoes Buzz Around The Ear? by Nobody: 9:24am On Jul 22, 2020
allen113:
me read this long write up? no way.

Abeg person way read am, summarise am for me.
In summary they are attracted to smells emitting from you nose and ears and the female are the ones buzzing.
Re: Why Do Mosquitoes Buzz Around The Ear? by allen113: 9:28am On Jul 22, 2020
GenBuhari:

In summary they are attracted to smells emitting from you nose and ears and the female are the ones buzzing.

OK, thank you.
Re: Why Do Mosquitoes Buzz Around The Ear? by leksgcfr(m): 9:42am On Jul 22, 2020
@Op,
thanks for the expose.
Re: Why Do Mosquitoes Buzz Around The Ear? by illicit(m): 11:29am On Jul 22, 2020
When flying, their wings move faster than the speed of sound.

That's the sound u hear when they fly close to ur ear.
Re: Why Do Mosquitoes Buzz Around The Ear? by Mastakija(m): 12:09pm On Jul 22, 2020
Chikunguya it sounds lyk an igbo word to me
Re: Why Do Mosquitoes Buzz Around The Ear? by Naijaarchive(m): 2:10pm On Aug 09, 2020
This is interesting.... Why isn't this on Frontpage.... No wonder i don't get bitten often like everyone in my place
Re: Why Do Mosquitoes Buzz Around The Ear? by Nobody: 4:12pm On Aug 09, 2020
Ahhhhhhh.. Nkan be

(1) (Reply)

Covid19: Health worker investigated by employer after posting conspiracy video / 44-year-old Woman Gives Birth To Twins After 20 Years Of Marriage (Photos) / Choice Dental... The Smiles Continue

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.