Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,511 members, 7,819,846 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:56 AM

Why Degree Dependence Is A Bad Idea Especially In Developing Countries - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Why Degree Dependence Is A Bad Idea Especially In Developing Countries (12349 Views)

Third Class Graduates: How Do You Feel When Denied A Job Due To Class Of Degree / Why Applying For Too Many Jobs Could Be A Bad Idea / *7 Reasons Why Degree Holders Are Poor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Degree Dependence Is A Bad Idea Especially In Developing Countries by RedDesQ: 10:09am On Apr 23, 2021
True

Seven content writers are needed to join a highly productive content writing team.

You will be paid One Million Naira

If you like to write articles and get paid for writing then this team/project is for you.

This opportunity is open to both experienced and new content writers.

Project Details : Content Writing For New and Experienced Content Writers

To signify your interest, send a message to

0 8 0 8 6 3 7 3 0 1 2

1 Like

Re: Why Degree Dependence Is A Bad Idea Especially In Developing Countries by lastmessenger: 10:10am On Apr 23, 2021
Yea you just hustle and leave government jobs for politician and their kids.
Deceivers everywhere. My own is that we should stop all these connection connection thing and give everyone a level playing ground to compete for the scarce jobs. Let the politician son write aptitude test and go through interview and be taken based on merit.

4 Likes

Re: Why Degree Dependence Is A Bad Idea Especially In Developing Countries by zealousayo(m): 10:10am On Apr 23, 2021
Re: Why Degree Dependence Is A Bad Idea Especially In Developing Countries by doggedfighter(f): 10:10am On Apr 23, 2021
R
Re: Why Degree Dependence Is A Bad Idea Especially In Developing Countries by Csami(m): 10:10am On Apr 23, 2021
Trash! You do know business requires capital and most fresh graduates don't have that.

1 Like

Re: Why Degree Dependence Is A Bad Idea Especially In Developing Countries by Egelife(m): 10:10am On Apr 23, 2021
Very well stayed and a nice piece
Re: Why Degree Dependence Is A Bad Idea Especially In Developing Countries by dederocs(m): 10:11am On Apr 23, 2021
Nice topic, we need to learn more skill, we have not developed our professional sector, science, finance etc to absorb all these paper graduates...we need more skills aquisition centres, and government so clueless is busy building universities, when they are no jobs to absorb them into.

1 Like

Re: Why Degree Dependence Is A Bad Idea Especially In Developing Countries by mofedamijo(m): 10:19am On Apr 23, 2021
poiunt:
I will advise people to study relevant courses with low competitions and higher job chances

Every course is relevant, that is why the University went through several years of research before setting up a department or a course.

The problem is Nigeria. Social Work is a very very lucrative course, however, it doesn't ring a bell in Nigeria. Does that make it irrelevant Absolutely not.

Same way most of the engineering courses are useless in Nigeria due to lack of practical experience. Does that make it irrelevant No.... Nigeria is a different kind of society.

7 Likes

Re: Why Degree Dependence Is A Bad Idea Especially In Developing Countries by Cousin9999: 10:22am On Apr 23, 2021
There is no valid argument you can make against education.

2 Likes

Re: Why Degree Dependence Is A Bad Idea Especially In Developing Countries by AuroraB(f): 10:23am On Apr 23, 2021
mofedamijo:
The problem is not with having a degree, the problem is your damn fucking country...........

An American once asked how we managed to get a masters at 27, i told him if we had left Nigeria at a young age, we would have had our Ph. D by 27.

They understand and value your ability to go through school.

Let's pretend to not know this is the truth. Be like they want to reduce the youth population by driving them to suicides by making them feel they are not doing enough sad

1 Like

Re: Why Degree Dependence Is A Bad Idea Especially In Developing Countries by flames01: 10:24am On Apr 23, 2021
AbdulAkpan:
There was a young man who went in to study a course in the tertiary institution, he felt that he just needed to get a Degree, without really having a plan in place and he would get a good job after graduation. He felt degree dependence would take him to a better place in his life.

He did graduate with a second class lower grade and afterwards, he was unemployed for five years before realizing that he could not just coast along and land a lucrative job with his mindset at the time.

In his unemployed state, he came across a new friend who introduced him to a career counselor. It took a while, but the young man eventually started to work towards new goals to reflect where he wanted to be in the coming years.

The career counselor he sought advice and guidance from, helped him see that degree dependence is a bad idea, especially for those from disadvantaged countries, where unemployment figures are on a constant rise.

If you are a young person from a developing country, it is your job to start planning your future career even before you are done with your undergraduate degree. The truth about developing countries, is that, there are too many candidates for the very few jobs available.

So, what can young people in these countries do to stand out?

Have a plan – Read forecasts on relevant industries and sectors going as far as 30 years, and choose your career path wisely. This will also depend on the country you come from, what applies in one may not apply in another, except you plan to relocate. We are now in the fourth industrial revolution, where industries are becoming obsolete, so be careful about the courses you want to study whether for an Undergraduate degree or a Master’s.

Invest in a side hustle – Yes, this is how a lot of people in third world countries survive – by having multiple streams of income. This will help you stay afloat even when you are yet to land a white collar job or you are yet to start making profit as an entrepreneur. We have a Nigerian client who learnt how to make clothes during his service corps year. Seven years after that, he has become a sought after designer in his state of residence, with about four support staff. He combines that with his job at a Tech company.

Focus on the right things – This is quite hard to do, with so many irrelevant things begging our attention nowadays, ranging from social media discussions to political intrigues. However, if you stay focused and do only what is relevant to your career growth, you will succeed, no matter how long it takes.

Source - https://lingoafrica.com/degree-dependence-is-no-longer-viable-for-professionals/

Lingo Africa

Ojuu4u, still thinks anyone making money online in this time and age is an internet fraudster grin.

Imagine a man in the 21st century still thinking like a stone age man.

Ojuu4u went to school but still reasons like a stark illiterate. grin

Shame on your education.

1 Like

Re: Why Degree Dependence Is A Bad Idea Especially In Developing Countries by mofedamijo(m): 10:26am On Apr 23, 2021
Kingcalls:
I agree totally.... those boy boy in alaba shop have better future and a secured financial plan than those that went to get degrees .... most graduates that are doing well now , dumped their degrees for entrepreneurship

It takes a great mind and exposure to be a tech entrepreneur. Most of this boy boy you see in Alaba never progress globally. Their business starts and ends there. Thats the difference.

Every tech entrepreneurs and business owners i have met in my travels have at least a Bachelors degree, also they are able to source for funding of over 1-2 million dollars effortlessly.

I can put my business plans into paper and slides and sale it to an investor in Hong Kong, USA, U.K and be eloquent enough for any investor to want to invest, can you say same for someone in Alaba. I am not against people selling in Alaba, however, thier projections are limited by thier environment.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Degree Dependence Is A Bad Idea Especially In Developing Countries by ibechris(m): 10:26am On Apr 23, 2021
ZendayaColeman:
Just make sure you are not earning in Naira

Pointless and meaningless.
There is no way u will not first earn in NAIRA before earning in dollars.

1 Like

Re: Why Degree Dependence Is A Bad Idea Especially In Developing Countries by tunary(m): 10:26am On Apr 23, 2021
Hmmm
Re: Why Degree Dependence Is A Bad Idea Especially In Developing Countries by seanwilliam(m): 10:34am On Apr 23, 2021
mofedamijo:

It takes a great mind and exposure to be a tech entrepreneur. Most of this boy boy you see in Alaba never progress globally. Their business starts and ends there. Thats the difference.

Every tech entrepreneurs and business owners i have met in my travels have at least a Bachelors degree, also they are able to source for funding of over 1-2 million dollars effortlessly.

I can put my business plans into paper and slides and sale it to an investor in Hong Kong, USA, U.K and be eloquent enough for any investor to want to invest, can you say same for someone in Alaba. I am not against people selling in Alaba, however, thier projections are limited by thier environment.

so how many business plans have you sold to investors ? How many millions have sourced? How many people have you employed??

harmless questions

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Degree Dependence Is A Bad Idea Especially In Developing Countries by adeoba2008(m): 10:39am On Apr 23, 2021
poiunt:
I will advise people to study relevant courses with low competitions and higher job chances
For exmaple
Re: Why Degree Dependence Is A Bad Idea Especially In Developing Countries by VTJN(m): 10:41am On Apr 23, 2021
mofedamijo:

Every course is relevant, that is why the University went through several years of research before setting up a department or a course.

The problem is Nigeria. Social Work is a very very lucrative course, however, it doesn't ring a bell in Nigeria. Does that make it irrelevant Absolutely not.

Same way most of the engineering courses are useless in Nigeria due to lack of practical experience. Does that make it irrelevant No.... Nigeria is a different kind of society.
Absolutely i can't agree less

No course is useless or irrelevant, Nigeria made them irrelevant

Heard that social work is a very lucrative course in developed countries

1 Like

Re: Why Degree Dependence Is A Bad Idea Especially In Developing Countries by Nobody: 10:41am On Apr 23, 2021
What's with this new trend of condemning degrees? If you don't want a degree let others get theirs. It opens up your mind to apply knowledge in real life situations. It's not our fault our country is rotten. If your degree doesn't work for you in Nigeria, it's not a surprise. No one gets any thing (including jobs) in Nigeria anymore. Look for another country where it will be useful.

Also there's nothing wrong with working for someone else. Not every one is built to be an entrepreneur. I know people who work for a company and earn from 5million upwards per month. They don't have 2 heads. Na degree them get too. Highest masters.

In summary do what suits you. Your formula must not work for every one else

3 Likes

Re: Why Degree Dependence Is A Bad Idea Especially In Developing Countries by mofedamijo(m): 10:44am On Apr 23, 2021
VTJN:
Absolutely i can't agree less

No course is useless or irrelevant, Nigeria made them irrelevant

Heard that social work is a very lucrative course in developed countries

Social worker is very very lucrative, especially if you have a certificate in public health or something. Its almost impossible for a social worker to be out of job in the U.S
Re: Why Degree Dependence Is A Bad Idea Especially In Developing Countries by mofedamijo(m): 10:46am On Apr 23, 2021
seanwilliam:
so how many business plans have you sold to investors ? How many millions have sourced? How many people have you employed??

harmless questions

That is not my point. My point is, educated entrepreneurs are not limited to a square metre shop. I have a business of my own outside Nigeria, and i am working on a App which I cannot talk about here. Thank you.

2 Likes

Re: Why Degree Dependence Is A Bad Idea Especially In Developing Countries by Fiscus105(m): 11:02am On Apr 23, 2021
in Nigeria here, people have wrong mindset about earning a degree, as a university degree, I must work in government , bank or multinational companies, how many of such will have? for the little one, how many graduates that can absorb?

here in naija, you will see a qualified nurse that is jobless owing to lack of government job, meanwhile you will see auxillary nurse with chemist shop doing well in her private capacity in treating minor cut and sickness.

microbiologist, biochemist, food sci technologist, agriculturist, art design, architect, business administrator etc, all these professionals can establish on their own and earn a living to take care of family, as it's obtainable in abroad.
Re: Why Degree Dependence Is A Bad Idea Especially In Developing Countries by merits(m): 11:03am On Apr 23, 2021
AbdulAkpan:
There was a young man who went in to study a course in the tertiary institution, he felt that he just needed to get a Degree, without really having a plan in place and he would get a good job after graduation. He felt degree dependence would take him to a better place in his life.

He did graduate with a second class lower grade and afterwards, he was unemployed for five years before realizing that he could not just coast along and land a lucrative job with his mindset at the time.

In his unemployed state, he came across a new friend who introduced him to a career counselor. It took a while, but the young man eventually started to work towards new goals to reflect where he wanted to be in the coming years.

The career counselor he sought advice and guidance from, helped him see that degree dependence is a bad idea, especially for those from disadvantaged countries, where unemployment figures are on a constant rise.

If you are a young person from a developing country, it is your job to start planning your future career even before you are done with your undergraduate degree. The truth about developing countries, is that, there are too many candidates for the very few jobs available.

So, what can young people in these countries do to stand out?

Have a plan – Read forecasts on relevant industries and sectors going as far as 30 years, and choose your career path wisely. This will also depend on the country you come from, what applies in one may not apply in another, except you plan to relocate. We are now in the fourth industrial revolution, where industries are becoming obsolete, so be careful about the courses you want to study whether for an Undergraduate degree or a Master’s.

Invest in a side hustle – Yes, this is how a lot of people in third world countries survive – by having multiple streams of income. This will help you stay afloat even when you are yet to land a white collar job or you are yet to start making profit as an entrepreneur. We have a Nigerian client who learnt how to make clothes during his service corps year. Seven years after that, he has become a sought after designer in his state of residence, with about four support staff. He combines that with his job at a Tech company.

Focus on the right things – This is quite hard to do, with so many irrelevant things begging our attention nowadays, ranging from social media discussions to political intrigues. However, if you stay focused and do only what is relevant to your career growth, you will succeed, no matter how long it takes.

Source - https://lingoafrica.com/degree-dependence-is-no-longer-viable-for-professionals/

Lingo Africa
Good write up.

Re: Why Degree Dependence Is A Bad Idea Especially In Developing Countries by SmartyPants(m): 11:10am On Apr 23, 2021
mofedamijo:
The problem is not with having a degree, the problem is your damn fucking country...........

An American once asked how we managed to get a masters at 27, i told him if we had left Nigeria at a young age, we would have had our Ph. D by 27.

They understand and value your ability to go through school.

Come on, it is very common for Americans to have advanced degrees by this age. No American will be wowed that you have a masters by 27.

1 Like

Re: Why Degree Dependence Is A Bad Idea Especially In Developing Countries by SmartyPants(m): 11:12am On Apr 23, 2021
Someone7:
What's with this new trend of condemning degrees? If you don't want a degree let others get theirs. It opens up your mind to apply knowledge in real life situations. It's not our fault our country is rotten. If your degree doesn't work for you in Nigeria, it's not a surprise. No one gets any thing (including jobs) in Nigeria anymore. Look for another country where it will be useful.

Also there's nothing wrong with working for someone else. Not every one is built to be an entrepreneur. I know people who work for a company and earn from 5million upwards per month. They don't have 2 heads. Na degree them get too. Highest masters.

In summary do what suits you. Your formula must not work for every one else

He has obviously not condemned degrees. He said you should not depend solely on them.

Read before commenting.

1 Like

Re: Why Degree Dependence Is A Bad Idea Especially In Developing Countries by ojuu4u(m): 11:21am On Apr 23, 2021
flames01:

Ojuu4u, still thinks anyone making money online in this time and age is an internet fraudster grin.

Imagine a man in the 21st century still thinking like a stone age man.

Ojuu4u went to school but still reasons like a stark illiterate. grin

Shame on your education.

professor, thank you sir, little wonder your own country is the capital of internet wuruwuru

Mr educated, use ur education for innovation as it obtainable in advanced countries and not to swindle people all over the world.

in ur cryptocurrency , u sit down without doing a single meaningful job, but monitoring when bitcoins will jack up to cash out, what a fraudulent mindset from evil people? Provided you don't back it up with female pants

ur cryptocurrency that only teenagers that know how to do it and in which it brings extreme wealth within a twinkle of eye.
Re: Why Degree Dependence Is A Bad Idea Especially In Developing Countries by Eddygourdo(m): 11:40am On Apr 23, 2021
There is nothing wrong with the course one studies if people faced their priorities. This is s country where people look to the sky while on their knees and pray for manna from heaven. People pay tithes to gods of men who do not build any industries , people so not pay sufficient taxes , how will the private sector be energized enough to provide jobs for everyone when monies are either looted via politics or thrown away by gullible citizens.
Re: Why Degree Dependence Is A Bad Idea Especially In Developing Countries by Kingcalls: 11:47am On Apr 23, 2021
mofedamijo:

How many graduates are tech gurus... we are talking about securing ur future financially, u are talking about global tech guru...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Degree Dependence Is A Bad Idea Especially In Developing Countries by mofedamijo(m): 11:51am On Apr 23, 2021
SmartyPants:

Come on, it is very common for Americans to have advanced degrees by this age. No American will be wowed that you have a masters by 27.

Lol.... You must be kidding right?? There is a difference between college degrees and a masters degree.

Just about 30% of Americans have a Bachelors degree, mind you, the average college student is 26.4 years of age. So tell me why they are not surprised?? I don't think you understand the American Education system.
Re: Why Degree Dependence Is A Bad Idea Especially In Developing Countries by lanre88(m): 11:51am On Apr 23, 2021
What are you Doing about helping the economy become better, are you only waiting on the white collar job to help you breakthrough? I pity your state of mind.

We have lot of people benefiting from our project without looking for any white collar job and earn as much as they can.

Open your eyes and live a good life.

A word is enough ..
Re: Why Degree Dependence Is A Bad Idea Especially In Developing Countries by mofedamijo(m): 11:54am On Apr 23, 2021
Kingcalls:

How many graduates are tech gurus... we are talking about securing ur future financially, u are talking about global tech guru...

Securing your future with some square shops. You had better leave Nigeria and see the world of young entrepreneurs in different fields and not just tech. Wake up niqqa. How many people does that shop employ in a year? Am talking about young entrepreneurs employing 30 - 70 people with a minimum pay of $2,000 monthly. Wake up buddy.

Very soon, E-commerce will take over those businesses completely.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Between Federal Fire Service Prison And Civil Defence which one Pay Bsc Higher? / Tenaris Global Graduate Trainee Programme 2017 / Food Hygiene Initiative Of Nigeria, Scam Or Legit?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.