Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,776 members, 7,862,560 topics. Date: Sunday, 16 June 2024 at 07:34 PM

Corp Member Offers Scholarships To 50 Students - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Corp Member Offers Scholarships To 50 Students (507 Views)

President Jonathan Offers Scholarships To Abducted Chibok Schoolgirls / Lagos Partners Caleb University, Offers Scholarships To Lagos Indegenes / Gov. Rochas Okorocha Offers Scholarships To University Students Frm 100k. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Corp Member Offers Scholarships To 50 Students by Ovularia: 9:11am On Feb 08, 2011
Corp member offers scholarships to 50 students

NewsFeb 8, 2011

By ENYIM ENYIM

A corps member serving at the Directorate of Chieftaincy Affairs, Deputy Governor’s Office, Asaba, Mr Stephen Jideani, has given scholarship to 50 students drawn from three communities in Delta State.
Speaking yesterday with reporters in Onitsha, Jideani said he decided to embark on the project as his contribution to federal government’s bid to phase out illiteracy in the country.
He said it was about time Nigeria bade final good bye to illiteracy, saying if literacy was ushered into the society, the widening gap between the rich and poor would be a thing of the past.
According to him, the beneficiaries of the funds he is sourcing from his meagre salary, well meaning Nigerians and corporate organisations include orphans, indigent students of Ogwuashi Ukwu, Issele Azagba and Asaba
Jideani, an indigene of Aguleri in Anambra State, told newsmen in Onitsha, Anambra State, that he sourced money through some well meaning individuals from Delta State to procure the educational materials he gave to the deserving students.
He said: “I have awarded scholarships to 50 students from three communities in Delta State, including orphans, fatherless and motherless students of Ogwashi-Ukwu, Issele-Azagba and Asaba communities of the state.”
He said “the first scholarship award took place on December 1, 2010, while the second award took place on December 9, 2010.
“Precisely, the 50 recipients are students of St. Patricks Model College, Asaba; Adaigbo Senior Secondary School, Ogwashi-Uku and Azagba Mixed Secondary School, Issele-Azagba.
“I had the courage to trek down to the rural communities in search of the student orphans. I want my fellow corps members, particularly those coming after us, to pick up such courage when they are serving.
“I mean they should not end up enjoying urban modern facilities. They should go down to the down trodden in the society,” said Jideani.
He said the beneficiaries of his first phase of the scholarship scheme were 22 students of Adaigbo Senior Secondary School, Ogwashi-Uku in Aniocha South Council Area of the state and their names are Enuma Monday, Ibrahim Yerima, Ashied Kingsley, Ogbolu Ogochukwu, Okpuno Abraham, Nwamaka Stephen, among others.
Also, 19 of them received Oxford English Advanced Learners Dictionary, Original 7th New Edition Dictionaries with CD plate each, a revised standard version o Bible and a novel that are relevant to their studies each. The cost of each of those books is N1,650 and their total cost is N31,350.
“Most intelligent ones among the receipients have equally received books worth N2,200 each from me. As for the students of Issele-Azagba, in Aniocha Council Area of the state, I have given them free educational materials like their Adaigbo counterparts. For instance, one Grace Nwajei Chinasa, an orphan received from me all the books she needed for her remaining secondary school level, and the books that would prepare her for her SSCE and JAMB exams, amounting to N9,050” said Jideani.
I must also mention that I spent about N7,450 on Master Chidi Udaya alone, one of the student orphans of St. Patricks Asaba in procuring books for his remaining secondary school level, SSCE and JAMB exams.
Jideani said the Phase 2 of his scholarship awards was launched on December 9, 2010 with the handing over of another set of educational materials worth N27,900 to the traditional ruler of Ogwashi-Uku, Obi Professor Okonjo, to supplement his December 1, 2010 free education scheme to more eight students of Adaigbo Senior Secondary School, which brought the number of beneficiaries to 50.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/02/corp-member-offers-scholarships-to-50-students/
Re: Corp Member Offers Scholarships To 50 Students by chigo4u: 11:59am On Feb 08, 2011
nice one. Good looking

(1) (Reply)

S/court To Hear Sokoto Governorship Appeal March 1 / 2011 Apga Adopts Jonathan As Presidential Candidate / 1 Million Nigerians Against Pdp

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.