Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,094 members, 7,953,334 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 02:30 PM

Bitter Historical Truth About Nnamdi Azikiwe - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bitter Historical Truth About Nnamdi Azikiwe (659 Views)

Nine Things To Know About Nnamdi Kanu’s Rearrest / IPOB Drags Orji Uzor Kalu To Court Over Comment About Nnamdi Kanu’s Location / Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bitter Historical Truth About Nnamdi Azikiwe by Confirmedzombie: 2:49pm On Jul 24, 2020
BOOM �

"BIG ISSUES"

BITTER HISTORICAL TRUTHS !!!

It has been Revealed that -

1. Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe (Great Zik of Africa), 1st Civilian President of Nigeria (1960-66) was actually an Ijawman, not an Igboman as was wrongly widely believed.

Zik hailed from Agbere (Western Ijaw) not Onitsha (Anambra State) and was born & named Benjamin Apams but he later changed his name to Nnamdi Azikiwe after he was fostered by his step father (Obed Azikiwe) his late mother (staff of Royal Niger Company -RNC) was from Nsukka (Enugu State) & his real father was one Late Lewis Apams, a carpenter from Agbere, Western Ijaw Division (Delta State)

Zik was born out of wedlock/initially raised by the mother, who later married an Onitsha man called Obed Azikiwe, who then worked as British Lord Lugard's PA at Zungeru, Northern Nigeria in 1914) and then adopted Zik as a foster son hence his later name, Nnamdi Azikiwe.

Zik was said to have maintained his paternal Ijaw links with his Late father (& half brothers) even after becoming Nigerian Peesident
including inviting & hosting his father (Apams) to the then State House Marina Lagos, when he was President

Zik attempted funding the building of a personal retirement home for himself at Agbere before he died in 1996.

This realization of his true Agbere/Ijaw roots (instead of Onitsha) must have influenced him (Zik) & his investments -

(I) he never had any real investments in Onitsha except one solitary storey building

(ii) having grown up, educated & been branded an Igboman (by fostering), he tried to maintain his Igbo identity (to avoid a dual personality) but clearly 'distanced' himself from his Onitsha foster home

by investing and identifying instead with his maternal home Nsukka Zik

(a) cited his only university project@ Nsukka (University of Nigeria)
(b) built his befitting country home, the Onuiyi Haven Nsukka instead of Onitsha

(c) Onitsha people in reciprocity & realizing he was only an adopted (not fully) Onitsha son (not minding how highly prominent he became as Nigerian President), honored him with an Owelle chieftaincy title which was junior & inferior to the Ajie chieftaincy title they bestowed on Chief Ukpabi Asika, another prominent but full-blooded Onitsha son and former Administrator of East Central State
of Nigeria.

2. Chief Olusegun Obasanjo (General, Rtd), two time former Nigerian President - was also not actually a Yorubaman from Abeokuta but an Igboman from Onitsha

Like Zik, he was also born out of wedlock following an affair between his father (a Policeman) from the Royal Onyemelukwe family of Onitsha and a Yoruba woman (from Ake Abeokuta) the parents later parted & never formally married - OBJ was solely raised by his mother.

His late father, Igwe Onyemekukwe later became the Obi of Onitsha and
Like Zik, OBASANJO later identified & closely maintained llinks with his half brothers & his Onitsha roots, in 1967, he fished out and introduced Ukpabi Asika (from Onitsha), then a Masters degree student in UI, Ibadan to Lt Col Gowon (then Head of State) for appointment as ECS Administrator before the Nigerian civil war 1967-70

(ii) even after Asika's death, his widow Chinyere Ukabi Asika & later her younger sibling, De Kema Chikwe both served for many years as Snr Special Assistant & Minister of Aviation in Pres. Obasanjo's cabinet in Abuja

(iii) other Onitsha indigenes especially of Obi of Onitsha lineage held various senior govt & diplomatic positions during the OBASANJO presidency.

Blood They Say Is Thicker Than Water!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Bitter Historical Truth About Nnamdi Azikiwe by tunene66: 2:55pm On Jul 24, 2020
Interesting
Re: Bitter Historical Truth About Nnamdi Azikiwe by illicit(m): 3:05pm On Jul 24, 2020
Who cares....
Who dem help
Re: Bitter Historical Truth About Nnamdi Azikiwe by JAMO84: 3:35pm On Jul 24, 2020
Story
Re: Bitter Historical Truth About Nnamdi Azikiwe by Nobody: 3:36pm On Jul 24, 2020
Op check into a Psychiatric Clinic, Something is not quiet well

1 Like

Re: Bitter Historical Truth About Nnamdi Azikiwe by Nobody: 4:26pm On Jul 24, 2020
Lies lies
Nnamdi Azikiwe: My Genealogy and Nativity

"Thus, in tracing my paternal lineage, I could say that both parents of my father are direct descendants of Eze Chima. As for me, I can trace my paternal ancestry in this wise: I am the first son of Chukwuemeka, who was the third child and first son of Azikiwe, who was the second son of Molokwu, who was the third son of Ozomaocha, who was the second son of Inosi Onira, who was the fourth son of Dei, the second son of Eze Chima, the founder of Onitsha."
SOURCE - Nnamdi A zikiwe: My Odyssey, Chapter I (Spectrum Books, 1970) "My Genealogy and Nativity" p4

"I can trace my maternal ancestry thus: I am the first son of Nwanonaku Rachel Chinwe Ogbenyeanu (Aghadiuno)Azikiwe, who was third daughter of Aghadiuno Ajie, the fifth son of Onowu Agbani, first daughter of Obi Udokwu, the son who descended from five Kings of Onitsha. Five of these rulers of Onitsha were direct lineal descendants of Eze Chima, who led his warrior adventurers when they left Benin to establish the Onitsha city state in about 1748 AD.
" SOURCE - Nnamdi Azikiwe: My Odyssey, Chapter I (Spectrum Books, 1970) "My Genealogy and Nativity" p5

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Bitter Historical Truth About Nnamdi Azikiwe by Yorubasareslave: 4:28pm On Jul 24, 2020
So interesting
Re: Bitter Historical Truth About Nnamdi Azikiwe by onward4life(m): 5:07pm On Jul 24, 2020
Nsukka are not igbos..

They are a combination of egbira, igala, idoma and tivfi

(1) (Reply)

Gunmen Kill Bike Rider, Abduct Kaduna LG Boss / BREAKING NEWS: Inspector General Of Police Succumb To Protesters Ends SARS / End Sars/ End Police Brutality Hit Owo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.