Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,744 members, 7,827,749 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 04:14 PM

My thought on first class and second class holders - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My thought on first class and second class holders (287 Views)

My Thought / My Thought As A Farmer. I Don't Want To Be Kidnapped / My First And Second Cucumber Harvests (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

My thought on first class and second class holders by ShedrachU(m): 4:52pm On Jul 25, 2020
This may not apply to every first class holder here, but the truth is, most first class graduate got first class because they wanted to make name. Most of them don't know practically what they think they know, they are the type that read to pass, instead of reading to know.

I am a second class lower division holder (3.08, B.Agric soil science) I studied soil science because I really wanted to know, passion drove me, I really wanted to know what is involved. I struggled after I was bereaved of my dad and elder brother.

I learnt on my own what I ought to learn. I connected with professionals who are deeply exposed to the field, enrolled for courses, video chatted with research experts, got necessary tools and all. After graduating, all my mates who graduated with a first class and second class upper division (2.1) don't know how to carry out soil sampling or even carry out a soil health assessment. Like, there are some simple practical things they couldn't do. I am not saying first class is bad, but what is the content of the holder? That's what every first class holder should ask him or herself.

Currently, I am the founder of Yield Naija a soil management service start up. I am currently holding talks to oversee a firm in Cameroon which uses robotics to do soil sampling and fertility assessment for farmers. (Hopeful to land it) I am also planning my MSc degree in soil physics and conservation.

This is not to intimidate anyone, but to change our mindsets. You may have a first class, but WHAT DO YOU KNOW? the big question.

PS: I redeployed from EE to soil science.
Agriculture has always been my passion.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Fresh Red Palm Oil For Sale / Poultry Waste/dung For Sale / Getting Foodstuffs Become Easier Than Ever

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.