Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,944 members, 7,952,813 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 03:39 AM

Should Bukayo Saka Choose England Over Nigeria? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Should Bukayo Saka Choose England Over Nigeria? (177 Views)

Folarin Balogun Chooses USA Over Nigeria And England. / World Cup; Lionel Messi's Wife Reacts After Argentina's Victory Over Nigeria. / Nigerian-born Boxer Bilal Fawaz Who Chose England Over Nigeria Faces Deportation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Should Bukayo Saka Choose England Over Nigeria? by nairalandankrah: 8:36am On Jul 27, 2020
Bukayo Saka’s breakthrough season with Arsenal has caught the attention of England boss Gareth Southgate.

The 18 year old has represented the country of his birth at U16, U17, U18, and U19 levels, and is pushing for a first senior cap.

However, he is of Nigerian heritage, and this week it was reported that the Super Eagles are making overtures in order to secure his international future.

It’s a choice that Saka knows is a difficult one, but says until such time as he has to make it, he’ll remain humble.

“It’s a tough choice,” he told Sky Sports.

“I’m happy to have represented England at youth level but I’m also proud of my Nigerian heritage from my parents.

“We haven’t been picked by any team so it’s about staying humble and when the time comes we’ll make the decision.”

Alex Iwobi had a similar choice to make after he made his Arsenal breakthrough, having played for England at youth level, he chose Nigeria and has made 38 international appearances, scored 6 goals, and played at a World Cup.

Meanwhile, Saka had praise for boss Mikel Arteta for the faith shown in him, as he committed his long-term future to Arsenal with a new contract.

“Being young and at a big club if you are in the team over an experienced professional the manager is basically telling you without speaking that I believe in you,” he said.

“He’s saying go and do what you can do and that belief gives me so much confidence.

“Arteta is so detailed and clear and a lot of the players will tell you we are learning from him.

“I feel like we’re going in the right direction and we’re working hard to hit the ground running next season.”

(1) (Reply)

2020 Champions League Final Dropped From US Network TV / Robert Lewandowski Might Gain More Goals Than Ronaldo This Season / Why Arsenal Signed Brazil Winger Willian On 3-year Contract From Chelsea

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.