Stats: 3,152,713 members, 7,816,933 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:29 PM

NYSC: What Do You Think? - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / NYSC: What Do You Think? (1076 Views)

After NYSC What Next? Marriage, Masters Or Money? / AFTER NYSC, WHAT NEXT? / Nysc:what's The Best Format Of Writing A Clearance Letter???.. (2) (3) (4)

NYSC: What Do You Think? by wole06(m): 9:07am On Jun 16, 2007
Hi Landers, I would like us to debate on National Youth Service Corp (NYSC) this morning. What do you guys think about it. Is it a waste of a good one year, As it outlived it's use, Should Naija Govt scrap it or just give this thousands of naira spent on each corp members to them to start something with or should it be refocus?
Well landers, why i brought this topic up is that in this country you cannot be employed by any coy be it Govt or Private except you have a NYSC discharge cert. neither can you contest for any political post without this cert. But looking at this service years (for those of us dat as serve) if to be candid how many of us as something or sweet story to tell concerning service year, just few. Left to me i am not saying it should be scrap but i think the Fed. Govt. should do something about it. Firstly lets look at the number of graduates dat flood the camp ground of each states twice in every year.thousands you will agree. But very few make something out of it. mind you i'm not against those dat make something out of it(nat.awards,state awards, etc) but all i'm saying is i do not see how waking up every morning of three weeks in camp to jog, march etc contribute to the development of this great nation or how it will put food on the table for Naijas. Just imagine those thousands of energetic,strong,dynamic and able youths being trainned in Mechanised farming,carpentry,fashion designing and so on. Now tell me if we 'ill not be seeing the pyramids of groundnuts,cocoa etc like of the old instead of just sitting down & wasting one good year. Well at this juncture i will like to stop to see what you guys think about this. It's just a discussion oooooo.
Re: NYSC: What Do You Think? by fabiyi: 8:07am On Jun 18, 2007
Goodday all,
Well, in my own opinion which is subjective, I think NYSC should be scrapped for these obvious reasons.

First, the ideas of the National service which was being established on had been lost years ago. Innocent graduates are now being subjected to unwarranted stress after much stress faced while schooling.

From my own personal experience, I secured a job in a bank shortly after I graduated but before service with my OND certificate,I was earning well above N40,000 per month and as a youngman with little or no responsibility, I was reasonably confortable. But unfortunately, due to wrong information and I was transfered to a new branch then, I had no choice but to go for this so called National service since my Boss was not helping the matter to give me  three weeks for camp.
From 40k/ month, I fell back to N7,500 Fed govt allowee and N3000 state which was not regular at all.
I did not even mind with full hope that after my service year, "life go better" and I will get a better and well pay job.

My people, it was not the way I calculated it as there are thousand and one graduates with better grades and professional qualifications that are being  struggled for jobs. Then the hope of being securing another job became blinking and shortly I left my former job for youth service they jacked-up the take home from 43k to 57k and 67k per month respectively.

Now tell me, is NYSC certificate am I going to eat or what? Today, every employer emphises more on experience regardless of being a fresh graduate.

So, can somebody convince me in the whole house about the usefulness of national service as I was posted to a villiage in Kogi state with no water, light, network, bad raod and a host of other stuff to numerous to mention.

Well, I can't tell it all. Today, we are witnessing  VAT increment and hike in fuel price, no job, no hope for Nigerian graduates. I stand to be corrected why this NYSC should not be scrapped.

I think Fed. govt should give the lump sum of the money to graduates and undoubtedly, 95% of them will make something tangible out of it. Remain bless.

Cheers!!!!
Re: NYSC: What Do You Think? by egin2(m): 8:54am On Jun 18, 2007
good day all , RE: N Y S C the programme is good only that the federal govt should see to it that it is restructured to match with time . also the problem of naija is implementation
Re: NYSC: What Do You Think? by uchetobi(f): 9:12am On Jun 27, 2007
there are series of thread on this
Re: NYSC: What Do You Think? by honeyzz(f): 3:52pm On Jun 27, 2007
i think its a bloody waste of time.the camp should be extended to one month and then all graduands be given their discharge certificates with half the money you should have earned for the service year.its cheaper for everyone that way.it also minimises the time wasted.also proper skills that would be useful to our everyday lives should be introduced instead those really annoying lectures they made us endure in camp.i really really hated service year.it was like my like my life was deliberately being wasted for one year.

Alawee On Camp / NYSC: I am confused, I need enlightenment on these stuffs bothering me /

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84