Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,445 members, 7,812,339 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:59 AM

Why Are Igbo's Denied To Rent, Houses Or Shops In Lagos ? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Why Are Igbo's Denied To Rent, Houses Or Shops In Lagos ? (1249 Views)

2 Die While Asleep As Heavy Flood Covers Cars And Houses In Benin (Pics) / Retail Shops In Gurgaon | 83 Metro Street / Tajudeen Alabi, NULGE Chairman Burnt To Death As Fire Razed Shops In Ikire (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Igbo's Denied To Rent, Houses Or Shops In Lagos ? by leviaka: 8:55pm On Jul 27, 2020
Nairalanders please help me out with this.
As an Igbo man who grew up all his life in Lagos precisely in surulere and speaks Yoruba language like a native, I had a bitter experience recently, I registered with an estate agent who is Yoruba, and asked him to look for a shop for me, he thought I was Yoruba like him the way I was communicating with him in his native language, but when I filled his form and he found out that I was Igbo he was shocked because my accent was purely Yoruba, anyway to cut a long story short, he took me to see another agent who has what I was looking for, immediately this other agent knew I was Igbo he told me the owner of the property doesn't want any Igbo person, I now ask him why ? He said the owner is comfortable with only his tribe , I now told my agent to look for another property for me.
Nairalanders please what can be done to stop this trend , so many of my Igbo brother has told me how they have had similar experience , I know of racial discrimination by whites against blacks because of the color of our skin but discrimination by Black's against blacks doesn't make sense to me
Please this trend should stop for ethnic harmony and love to prevail, this reminds me of racism in America
I hope the owner of the property or those who are like him if they have any business apart from property, like supermarkets, filling station etc, they should stop any Igbo person from buying there, they should go the whole way of banning Igbos from there businesses including banks they should stop collecting deposit money from our people. It is sweet for them when they collect our money in other of their businesses, MAY GOD BRING HARMONY TO THIS COUNTRY.
Re: Why Are Igbo's Denied To Rent, Houses Or Shops In Lagos ? by javaguru: 9:06pm On Jul 27, 2020
there are many shops and houses owned by Igbo people in Lagos, look for an Igbo agent.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Igbo's Denied To Rent, Houses Or Shops In Lagos ? by sirrotex: 9:10pm On Jul 27, 2020
I do not agree with this trend by Landlords, where they do not rent their property to Igbos. The reason most landlords give for this is lack of maintenance culture, prolonged delay in paying rents and over populating the house. A house for 3 people can end up having 8 people. Some Igbos are truly nasty tenants but not all. My best tenant is an Igbo man and sincerely his type is rare. It is just a fallacy of hasty generalisation based on the experience landlords have had with some Igbo tenants.
Re: Why Are Igbo's Denied To Rent, Houses Or Shops In Lagos ? by kingvick09(m): 9:10pm On Jul 27, 2020
we need to get this straight -some igbo are evil -some yoruba are evil -some hausa and other tribes are evil too

1 Like

Re: Why Are Igbo's Denied To Rent, Houses Or Shops In Lagos ? by sirrotex: 9:11pm On Jul 27, 2020
It would surprise you to know that some Igbo landlords would specifically tell you that they don't want Igbo tenants.
javaguru:
there are many shops and houses owned by Igbo people in Lagos, look for an Igbo agent.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Igbo's Denied To Rent, Houses Or Shops In Lagos ? by DelTel(m): 9:14pm On Jul 27, 2020
I grew up with some of the best neighbors you can ever imagine! For instance, one of my neighbors who was a pilot influenced one of my brothers to become one as well.

I can't also forget the Nwaozor family, wonderful family with intelligent and beautiful children. I never saw or heard anyone complain about them. We all parted ways eventually as normal with life.

However, recent trends has brought up some bad incidents from some of the tribe unfortunately, like renting houses and not only payimg but also fighting the landlord. I was a victim as well. Instructive to note that some ibo landlords also refuse to have ibo tenants!

Meanwhile, this is not to say it is everyone in the tribe. Good and bad people are in every tribe, race, family etc.

May we have peace and harmony in our nation.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Igbo's Denied To Rent, Houses Or Shops In Lagos ? by Coder2Client(m): 9:19pm On Jul 27, 2020
Don't blame them, it could be what they have experienced with one of your tribe member. And truly, one has to be very careful about entrusting property to igbo sorry to say this but that's just the truth. Once bitten....
Re: Why Are Igbo's Denied To Rent, Houses Or Shops In Lagos ? by Chrisbella24(f): 9:20pm On Jul 27, 2020
sirrotex:
I do not agree with this trend by Landlords, where they do not rent their property to Igbos. The reason most landlords give for this is lack of maintenance culture, prolonged delay in paying rents and over populating the house. A house for 3 people can end up having 8 people. Some Igbos are truly nasty tenants but not all. My best tenant is an Igbo man and sincerely his type is rare. It is just a fallacy of hasty generalisation based on the experience landlords have had with some Igbo tenants.

Where is your house?
Re: Why Are Igbo's Denied To Rent, Houses Or Shops In Lagos ? by hisgrace090: 9:35pm On Jul 27, 2020
Chrisbella24:

Where is your house?

.his address on naira land ehh?
Re: Why Are Igbo's Denied To Rent, Houses Or Shops In Lagos ? by Oksman(m): 9:38pm On Jul 27, 2020
sirrotex:

No further explanation. You just buttressed the guy's observation, too bad.
Re: Why Are Igbo's Denied To Rent, Houses Or Shops In Lagos ? by Nobody: 9:39pm On Jul 27, 2020
What an irony bro. I live in a three bedroom apartment where the landlord,being a Yoruba Muslim, prefers igbos as tenant.

His reason: Igbo don't beg when rent is due cheesy

True story

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Igbo's Denied To Rent, Houses Or Shops In Lagos ? by sirrotex: 9:41pm On Jul 27, 2020
I am sure you do not expect me to say that on this platform!
Chrisbella24:

Where is your house?
Re: Why Are Igbo's Denied To Rent, Houses Or Shops In Lagos ? by fatymore(f): 9:42pm On Jul 27, 2020
Uhn...

I don't want to sound like a tribalist but due to experience, some igbo people no dey do well.

They won't pay rent on time
Fight with their landlord.

The worst part is, They would sue their landlord again to court...

1 Like

Re: Why Are Igbo's Denied To Rent, Houses Or Shops In Lagos ? by Chrisbella24(f): 9:51pm On Jul 27, 2020
sirrotex:
I am sure you do not expect me to say that on this platform!

Lol..

I mean location.

I mean state, Location not address sir
Re: Why Are Igbo's Denied To Rent, Houses Or Shops In Lagos ? by Chrisbella24(f): 9:51pm On Jul 27, 2020
hisgrace090:

.his address on naira land ehh?

No, not that.

The state he is in
Re: Why Are Igbo's Denied To Rent, Houses Or Shops In Lagos ? by micfoley: 10:02pm On Jul 27, 2020
sirrotex:
It would surprise you to know that some Igbo landlords would specifically tell you that they don't want Igbo tenants.

This one weak me o
Re: Why Are Igbo's Denied To Rent, Houses Or Shops In Lagos ? by Ejike07: 10:05pm On Jul 27, 2020
this type of person is the that will keep on saying Lagos is no man's land. Go to Igbo agents. they are many
Re: Why Are Igbo's Denied To Rent, Houses Or Shops In Lagos ? by AmuDimpka: 10:13pm On Jul 27, 2020
Here in my house....when the Igbo were living the bills never got high,they moved out to their own houses some relocated the landlord thought in Yoruba people ...

Guess what they couldn't pay rent ,one is owning over 2 yrs ( they were ashamed to say it because I would laugh at them ) the other is owing over 300k electricity

So it's not about Igbo it's about the individual.... I have seen many YORUBA THAT Insist on selling their house to Igbo
Re: Why Are Igbo's Denied To Rent, Houses Or Shops In Lagos ? by leviaka: 10:20pm On Jul 27, 2020
[quote author=Coder2Client post=92176849]Don't blame them, it could be what they have experienced with one of your tribe member. And truly, one has to be very careful about entrusting property to igbo sorry to say this but that's just the truth. Once bitten....
The point is if a Yoruba landlord experiences the same thing from his tribe will he deny them from renting his property, it's evil to stereotype people
Because of one experience from one tribe doesn't mean you will keep having the same experience based on tribe.
Their is no correlation between tribe and character, but if you tell me there is a correlation between tribe and culture and tradition I will believe that
Re: Why Are Igbo's Denied To Rent, Houses Or Shops In Lagos ? by sirrotex: 10:35pm On Jul 27, 2020
Ok. Lagos State. A serene place on the mainland.
Chrisbella24:

Lol..

I mean location.

I mean state, Location not address sir
Re: Why Are Igbo's Denied To Rent, Houses Or Shops In Lagos ? by Nobody: 6:31am On Jul 28, 2020
javaguru:
There are many? Many indeed. Yoeoba people are checkmating the excess of your brothers in all their regions now.

(1) (Reply)

Osinbajo Quotes On Say No To Rape / When Will You Write Your Will? / Do Blind People Dream? I Mean One Born Blind.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.