Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,817,997 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:59 AM

Malawi Bans Public Farting - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Malawi Bans Public Farting (5606 Views)

Ghana Bans Public Officials From Travelling First Class / Bill Gates' Wife Melinda Washes Plates, Carries Water On Head In Malawi (Photos) / Malawi, Congo, Bar South Africans From Entering Their Country (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Malawi Bans Public Farting by AjanleKoko: 2:42pm On Feb 09, 2011
You wonder why African lawmakers are so obsessed with irrelevancies! Like there are no pressing issues to pass laws about?

Malawi row over whether new law bans farting

The justice minister said local chiefs would deal with those caught breaking wind in public

Two of Malawi's most senior judicial officials are arguing over whether a new bill includes a provision that outlaws breaking wind in public.

Justice Minister George Chaponda says the new bill would criminalise flatulence to promote "public decency".

"Just go to the toilet when you feel like farting," he told local radio.

However, he was directly contradicted by Solicitor General Anthony Kamanga, who says the reference to "fouling the air" means pollution.

"How any reasonable or sensible person can construe the provision to criminalising farting in public is beyond me," he said, adding that the prohibition contained in the new law has been in place since 1929.

The Local Courts Bill, to be introduced next week reads: "Any person who vitiates the atmosphere in any place so as to make it noxious to the public to the health of persons in general dwelling or carrying on business in the neighbourhood or passing along a public way shall be guilty of a misdemeanour."

Mr Chaponda, a trained lawyer, insists that this includes farting.

"Would you be happy to see people farting anyhow?" he asked on the popular "Straight Talk" programme on Malawi's Capital Radio.

He said that local chiefs would deal with any offenders.

When asked whether it could be enforced, he said it would be similar to laws banning urinating in public.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12363852
Re: Malawi Bans Public Farting by akinreals: 3:14pm On Feb 09, 2011
grin grin grin
Na wah ooooooo, how will they know if i do d silent one? we Africans can be funny atimes, lol shocked shocked
Re: Malawi Bans Public Farting by vanitty: 1:48pm On Feb 10, 2011
Lmao
Re: Malawi Bans Public Farting by Bijemi(m): 1:54pm On Feb 10, 2011
This is so Malawian.
Re: Malawi Bans Public Farting by buzugee(m): 2:08pm On Feb 10, 2011
the justice minister is so full of gas
Re: Malawi Bans Public Farting by dbigrod(m): 2:20pm On Feb 10, 2011
grin  grin   grin  grin  grin  grin  grin]

when will africans think of what to do to better the lot of their people instead of creating a bill to punish people who fart .
Re: Malawi Bans Public Farting by foyeks2001(f): 2:25pm On Feb 10, 2011
d bigrod:

grin  grin   grin  grin  grin  grin  grin]

when will africans think of what to do to better the lot of their people instead of creating a bill to punish people who fart .

ofcourse
dunno wen they are gonna get their priorities right,

grin grin grin laugh like malawian
Re: Malawi Bans Public Farting by yahoo2(m): 2:33pm On Feb 10, 2011
Lmao!!!
Re: Malawi Bans Public Farting by OWOLAYEMO: 2:41pm On Feb 10, 2011
lmaoooooo :d :d :d :d :d :d :d ;d ;d ;d
Re: Malawi Bans Public Farting by Ikwikwikwi(m): 2:41pm On Feb 10, 2011
is it the sound type or silent type, the smelly type or odourless type?? grin grin
Re: Malawi Bans Public Farting by oluite(f): 2:44pm On Feb 10, 2011
lol!
Priority for them na Farting grin
Re: Malawi Bans Public Farting by semid4lyfe(m): 2:56pm On Feb 10, 2011
Law to ban public farting? WTF! shocked
Re: Malawi Bans Public Farting by Coretalk(m): 3:04pm On Feb 10, 2011
LMAO grin grin

you are under arrest for farting grin
Re: Malawi Bans Public Farting by Glorya(f): 3:18pm On Feb 10, 2011
very funny, i hope they will not resort to smelling of nyash to catch the offender, grin
Re: Malawi Bans Public Farting by eghost247(m): 3:21pm On Feb 10, 2011
Joblessness!!!!
Re: Malawi Bans Public Farting by Nobody: 3:24pm On Feb 10, 2011
Core_talk:

LMAO  grin grin

you are under arrest for farting  grin
Nope it's you are sentenced to jail for [size=15pt]FARTING[/size]

Lmao .
Re: Malawi Bans Public Farting by Misterpaul(m): 3:29pm On Feb 10, 2011
akinreals:

grin grin grin
Na wah ooooooo, how will they know if i do d silent one? we Africans can be funny atimes, lol shocked shocked
maybe they wil use a device called “fart dictator“, 2 measure d wave direct &magnitude of d fart lol, Buh @Poster,i dis 4 real?
Re: Malawi Bans Public Farting by omo9ja1(m): 3:34pm On Feb 10, 2011
nonsense law
Re: Malawi Bans Public Farting by WackyJ1(m): 3:36pm On Feb 10, 2011
Can you imagine? There are no more brains in Malawi. It's only in the animal Kingdom that farting is a big deal
Re: Malawi Bans Public Farting by 702: 3:37pm On Feb 10, 2011
wat of silent farting, u cant get caught?! cheesy
Re: Malawi Bans Public Farting by ollybosieb: 3:43pm On Feb 10, 2011
"Just go to the toilet when you feel like farting," he told local radio.

What if you are walking on the street where no toilet around, Na craze country be dat
Re: Malawi Bans Public Farting by Vickivicki(m): 3:48pm On Feb 10, 2011
Bijemi:

This is so Malawian.

I wonder oooo    cry shocked

African lawmakers are just bunch of busy but doing nothing reasonable guys.
Re: Malawi Bans Public Farting by ochiaha1(m): 4:25pm On Feb 10, 2011
It seems they love eating beans a lot in that country and so this causes them to fart loudly and at all occassions grin grin grin

The above statement is my own simple deduction from the law they passed on farting !!!
Re: Malawi Bans Public Farting by Pennywise(m): 4:28pm On Feb 10, 2011
Sometimes I am genuinely ashamed to be an African.

What evidence will prosecutor have to present in court since it comes down to a suspect's word against his accusers!

In order words who is going to collect the gaseous evidence and how?
Re: Malawi Bans Public Farting by ciscostaz: 4:39pm On Feb 10, 2011
Hahahaha. useless people. Imagine.

well sha, is it that people just walk and fart anyhow truely? dem no get shame?

If only when you fart, smoke comes out, those guys will be easy to catch. chei, the whole street will just be full of smoke self.
Re: Malawi Bans Public Farting by Ultrame(m): 4:40pm On Feb 10, 2011
Pennywise:

What evidence will prosecutor have to present in court

My thoughts exactly! I guess they didn't think that far.
Re: Malawi Bans Public Farting by sledge406: 6:19pm On Feb 10, 2011
Finally messfart don get toilet - - -Rubbish angry

Then for those silent messfart, I bet the idiot Malawian officials have gotten a messfart detector and also a video that captures messfart when needed for prosecution in the court of mess fart law.
Re: Malawi Bans Public Farting by Pame(m): 6:22pm On Feb 10, 2011
Let them define the word PUBLIC in the law.
Then those who pour dirty and stinking water/ waste should also be affected by the law,
them no get job to do
Re: Malawi Bans Public Farting by princeonx: 6:22pm On Feb 10, 2011
Case number 419419914914: Your honour this case is between the city of kskjghsklgfksjghks Vs Mr Ubongogogo who farpppppoofff in public and the city is seeking a death penalty.
Re: Malawi Bans Public Farting by deekseen(m): 7:10pm On Feb 10, 2011
Seems more like the kind of fart that they release in that country can kill with time, Let them take proper precautionary measures now o.
Re: Malawi Bans Public Farting by mrofficial(m): 7:50pm On Feb 10, 2011
This is ridiculous. What if I fart in public and then deny it? grin You know those silent ones. wink You fit smell my yansh?? cheesy

Abi them too dey fart for malawi?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Happy Heritage Day South Africa : Braai, And Braai Proudly!(pics) / U.S. Longest War: Some Images That Captured 20 Years Of U.S. War In Afghanistan / SA Challenges Morocco's African Bid To Lead UN Rights Council

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.