Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,339 members, 7,815,672 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:19 PM

We Didn't Do Anything Wrong, But Somehow, We Lost - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / We Didn't Do Anything Wrong, But Somehow, We Lost (2435 Views)

We Didn't Ask MTN To Charge For USSD - Banks / 5 Things You Didn't Know That Drains Your Phone Battery / 5 Cool Things You Can Do On Whatsapp You Probably Didn't Know About (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

We Didn't Do Anything Wrong, But Somehow, We Lost by rexericx(m): 2:10am On Jul 29, 2020
Complacency and "I know it all" attitude is a big enemy in business & real life.

WE DIDN'T DO ANYTHING WRONG, BUT SOMEHOW, WE LOST

During the press conference to announce that NOKIA is being acquired by Microsoft, President and CEO of Nokia, Stephen Elop ended his speech saying this:

“We didn’t do anything wrong, but somehow, we lost”.
Jovia_Voice It Out

Upon saying that, all his management team, himself included, shed sad tears.
Nokia had been a respectable company. They didn’t do anything wrong in their business, however, the world changed too fast. Their opponents were too powerful.

They missed out on learning, they missed out on changing, and thus they lost the opportunity at hand to make it big. Not only did they miss the opportunity to earn big money, they lost their chance of survival.

The message of this story is, if you don’t change, you shall be removed from the competition.

Jovia_Voice It Out

It’s not wrong if you don’t want to learn new things. However, if your thoughts and mindset cannot catch up with time, you will be eliminated.

The advantage you have yesterday, will be replaced by the trends of tomorrow.

You don’t have to do anything wrong, as long as your competitors catch the wave and do it RIGHT, you can lose out and fail.

To change and improve yourself is giving yourself a second chance. To be forced by others to change, is like being discarded.

Those who refuse to learn & improve, will definitely soon become redundant & not relevant to the industry & real life.

Join us on Facebook

Jovia_Voice It Out

https://www./549890931861236/permalink/1532767343573585/

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: We Didn't Do Anything Wrong, But Somehow, We Lost by Webmannigeria: 3:34am On Jul 29, 2020
Good POINTS

1 Like

Re: We Didn't Do Anything Wrong, But Somehow, We Lost by Wilstino: 3:57am On Jul 29, 2020
Educating and interesting read.

Overall, great piece!

1 Like

Re: We Didn't Do Anything Wrong, But Somehow, We Lost by dalongjnr: 6:04am On Jul 29, 2020
Hmm...my morning tonic. Thanks for this reawaken message.
Re: We Didn't Do Anything Wrong, But Somehow, We Lost by skywalker240(m): 9:00am On Jul 29, 2020
Lovely, Nokia had it coming though, they did wrong but they were to ignorant to give a listening ears. Transsion is toiling that same part.

Nokia of old fell, but like an expired phoenix bird they have risen.

can you say the same for mediocre-centered Transsion ?

4 Likes

Re: We Didn't Do Anything Wrong, But Somehow, We Lost by festwiz(m): 9:07am On Jul 29, 2020
Stephen Elop is a Trojan horse and no true Nokia fan will ever forgive him. He came from Microsoft to be the CEO of Nokia and made stupid decisions to embrace Windows Mobile (no surprises there) instead of Android when the Android ecosystem was brand new and ripe for the taking and after killing Nokia he went back to Microsoft to head the Windows Mobile division. Why am I not surprised? undecided

"We made no mistakes..."? Lol really? They killed off Symbian OS in its prime time when it was still ahead of Android and iOS with over 78% of smartphones running on the OS. They refused to polish it on time, even basic multi touch support was missing and even the 2nd gen iPhones had this already.

"We made no mistakes..." Lol. Nokia was the largest OEM in the world at the time. They had more than enough resources to have devices in all 3 ecosystems, Windows, Android and Symbian, but they lagged behind being so smug and high-strung about their place in the market. They became too comfortable not realising the looming loss under their noses.

There's only one person I hate in this life and it's Stephen Elop.

Just like Nokia being complacent and blind to what's changing from their competitors, Transsion Holdings should keep acting like a dead dog while their biggest market is being taken over by the big 4 in Asia, Xiaomi, Samsung, Oppo and Vivo.

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: We Didn't Do Anything Wrong, But Somehow, We Lost by festwiz(m): 9:13am On Jul 29, 2020
skywalker240:

Nokia of old fell, but like an expired phoenix bird they have risen.

I disagree. They haven't risen and they'll never rise. The prices of their devices is a far cry from the specs they offer. The new 2019 and 2020 series are morbidly mediocre and over priced. They performed so badly YoY that they didn't announce a new flagship to replace the 9 Preview in Q4 last year.

The Nokia 5.3 is packing Redmi Note 8 specs for Redmi Note 9s money. HMD Global went with Android One to keep the long term cost of support down but they're not reflected in the pricing in anyway.

They have no foot in any market they're in right now and with the steep invasion from the Chinese, HMD Global's "Nokia" will never rise if they continue like the predecessors.

4 Likes

Re: We Didn't Do Anything Wrong, But Somehow, We Lost by NeoWanZaeed(m): 9:35am On Jul 29, 2020
festwiz:
Stephen Elop is a Trojan horse and no true Nokia fan will ever forgive him. He came from Microsoft to be the CEO of Nokia and made stupid decisions to embrace Windows Mobile (no surprises there) instead of Android when the Android ecosystem was brand new and ripe for the taking and after killing Nokia he went back to Microsoft to head the Windows Mobile division. Why am I not surprised? undecided

"We made no mistakes..."? Lol really? They killed off Symbian OS in its prime time when it was still ahead of Android and iOS with over 78% of smartphones running on the OS. They refused to polish it on time, even basic multi touch support was missing and even the 2nd gen iPhones had this already.

"We made no mistakes..." Lol. Nokia was the largest OEM in the world at the time. They had more than enough resources to have devices in all 3 ecosystems, Windows, Android and Symbian, but they lagged behind being so smug and high-strung about their place in the market. They became too comfortable not realising the looming loss under their noses.

Just like Nokia being complacent and blind to what's changing from their competitors, Transsion Holdings should keep acting like a dead dog while their biggest market is being taken over by the big 4 in Asia, Xiaomi, Samsung, Oppo and Vivo.

you make sense die.

symbian OS would have floored Android perfectly by now

2 Likes

Re: We Didn't Do Anything Wrong, But Somehow, We Lost by skywalker240(m): 9:42am On Jul 29, 2020
festwiz:

I disagree. They haven't risen and they'll never rise. The prices of their devices is a far cry from the specs they offer. The new 2019 and 2020 series and morbidly mediocre and over priced. They performed so badly that they didn't announce a new flagship to replace the 9 Preview in AT last year.

The Nokia 5.3 is packing Redmi Note 8 specs for Redmi Note 9s money. HMD Global went with Android One to keep the long term cost of support down but they're not reflected in the pricing in anyway.

They have no foot in any market they're in right now and with the steep invasion from the Chinese, HMD Global's "Nokia" will never rise if they continue like the predecessors.
i never knew the nokia 5.3 is sold for 110k (thats poor)

maybe i should have used the word are still rising or trying to rise

but theres no arguing they came back, blackberry couldnt (even when they tried)
Re: We Didn't Do Anything Wrong, But Somehow, We Lost by naijasensei: 10:31am On Jul 29, 2020
festwiz:

I agree with you, Nokia made some horrible decisions. A refreshed, and updated Symbian OS would have been a good asset in the current climate. Nokia should have kept Symbian while simultaneously introducing Android based handsets.

2 Likes

Re: We Didn't Do Anything Wrong, But Somehow, We Lost by Mohbola(f): 11:22am On Jul 29, 2020
Hmmmm
Re: We Didn't Do Anything Wrong, But Somehow, We Lost by Nobody: 2:09pm On Jul 29, 2020
Good point, but just knowing that Nokia has been acquired by Microsoft, such a sad end for a great organisation

1 Like

Re: We Didn't Do Anything Wrong, But Somehow, We Lost by kadas01(m): 6:15pm On Jul 29, 2020
Re: We Didn't Do Anything Wrong, But Somehow, We Lost by festwiz(m): 6:32pm On Jul 29, 2020
kadas01:
Nokia is coming back stronger than ever! tongue

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/nokia-rolls-software-upgrade-5g-073114212.html

Nokia never died. They only sold their mobile division which is what most people knew them for. They'll be building the USAs 5G and probably Europe's too in partnership with Ericsson.
Re: We Didn't Do Anything Wrong, But Somehow, We Lost by Nobody: 9:24pm On Jul 29, 2020
festwiz:

I disagree. They haven't risen and they'll never rise. The prices of their devices is a far cry from the specs they offer. The new 2019 and 2020 series are morbidly mediocre and over priced. They performed so badly YoY that they didn't announce a new flagship to replace the 9 Preview in Q4 last year.

i don't enjoy their 2.3 nokia phone am using, exempt the fact that's rugged, falling off multiple times.
Re: We Didn't Do Anything Wrong, But Somehow, We Lost by rexericx(m): 1:43am On Jul 30, 2020
Well
Re: We Didn't Do Anything Wrong, But Somehow, We Lost by thepoweruser(m): 10:27am On Jul 30, 2020
Oga festwiz and naijasensei,always on point and i admire your keen observations,but i may have to disagree with you both on this.
Symbian was a highly impressive OS,ahead of Android and iOS in a lot of little things(like multitasking,symbian handled this way better than android and ios ever did,still does,i mean you could launch an app on symbian and it would basically keep running,you'd leave apps there for weeks and still meet them running,unlike some ''12gb ram'' android smartphones that will kill apps in the background when the device is on standby to save power) and was a lot more power efficient but:
1). Symbian's os structure made it difficult to write software for(this was why apps for symbian^3[nokia n8] and belle[nokia 701] were written with Qt)
2a). Symbian was too slow to follow the multitouch trend(for Christ's sake,the nokia n95 was the first truly decent phone camera,could record video while the first-gen iphone did not even allow this!!)
2b). Symbian's ux(symbian^1,aka s60v5 like n97,5800xm) was just the button-oriented s60v2/3.x ux pasted on a touch screen,it just looked Stone-Age compared to the slick iPhone interface,and let's not even talk of the semi-embarrassment that was the N97. angry angry angry
3). No centralized app store,though nokia tried to fix this with Ovi(now dead)
4). Quality of apps(man,iOS and Android totally slaughtered Symbian in this).
(And other little things too many to mention)
Sorry for the long epistle grin grin cheesy wink but i'm just trying to point out why Symbian wasn't feasible.
Nokia didn't really like Android(I'm guessing due to how buggy it was then,though the Nokia X family actually ran Android with a goofy ''Nokia X Platform'' skin),but what if? You know?
What if I told you good Nairalanders that there was a secret weapon that Nokia's ever-creative wizards were building to blow Android totally out of the water and to utterly strip the panties grin off the iPhone but that got killed stillborn by that bastard Erlop?!
All hail the device way ahead of it's time!THE NOKIA N9!!!

3 Likes

Re: We Didn't Do Anything Wrong, But Somehow, We Lost by Nobody: 11:02am On Jul 30, 2020
festwiz:

So Smart and quite a great view from you there!
Re: We Didn't Do Anything Wrong, But Somehow, We Lost by festwiz(m): 11:12am On Jul 30, 2020
thepoweruser:
THE NOKIA N9!!!

Everything here was complete and undiluted facts. Nokia were dragging their legs on features which they should've implemented years before the iPhone showed up.

Still I blame Stephen Elop for leading Nokia to their doom.
Re: We Didn't Do Anything Wrong, But Somehow, We Lost by thepoweruser(m): 12:31pm On Jul 30, 2020
Bros @festwiz i thoroughly understand where you are coming from but you still don't get my point.
The Nokia N9,(along with phones like the 808PV,it's predecessor the N8,theN86 8MP,the E7,the E90,the N82 and of course the father of all cameraphones the N95)was evidence of just how forward-thinking Nokia's engineers were. The first gesture-based navigation on any phone,the first phone with decent haptic feedback(a Taptic Engine more than 4 years before the iPhone 6),the first phone with dark theme(a pseudo-dark mode) and was leap years ahead of even iPhone OS in terms of ease of use. It and the N900 are still legendary in one thing-multitasking.
What am I trying to say? Well,with a 600MHz Cortex-A8(bumped up to 1GHz on the N9) and with 256MB of mDDR ram+768MB of virtual memory(effectively 1GB of RAM,still crazy back then,though the N9 was 1GB of mDDR,no swap),the N900 is a multitasking monster. Some fellows on YouTube ran 40 apps on the N900 and it's descendant the N9 and they ran everything. Not a single app reloaded. No slowdown at all. This was at a time when the Motorola Atrix 4G(first Android with 1GB of RAM) would run just 7 apps and would still restart! undecided
Plus,it was the smoothest phone back then. The phone is still one of the most beautiful ever made.
Bottom line:MeeGo was far better than Symbian in usability and had the potential to have destroyed Android. But,alas,we know who killed it. MeeGo still lives on,tho(as Sailfish).
Mind you,I still DO love Symbian(my favourite OS ever). But man MeeGo is far better.

1 Like

Re: We Didn't Do Anything Wrong, But Somehow, We Lost by festwiz(m): 1:06pm On Jul 30, 2020
thepoweruser:

I see you're talking about Symbian and Meamo and Meego OS. Yes the MeeGo OS was great, really great no doubt but what did Nokia do with it? Meamo especially.

The N900 was going to revolutionise smartphones with the Maemo 5, I believe, at the time and if memory serves me correctly the N900 was barely available for consumers and shortly after it was discontinued in favour of MeeGo OS and the N9. In 2009 when the N900 was announced they could've easily followed up with smartphones running Maemo in 2010 but no they wouldn't instead they released the N9 in 2011-2012 at this time Android 2.3 - 4.0 was also launched in this window and then Nokia was behind again with MeeGo OS on the N9 in late 2011.

I am not saying Nokia didn't have great ideas or all that, quite the contrary. The 808 Preview and Lumia 1020 still have amazing cameras a good 8 years after launch that's how great they were. I'm saying they implemented software features late.

I think some modders flashed Android on an N9 but it's a device that came too late to make a difference. If the N900 and NO were commercially available in 2010, Android wouldn't have gotten as much footing on the smartphone market. However, I still retain that 2010 was the best year for Nokia to had taken over the Android market whilst still developing MeeGo OS.

Samsung at this time also had the same idea. They had the Samsung Galaxy flagships on both Android and Windows phone whilst still developing Bass OS (now TIZEN still in development).

I'm not ignoring the fact that Nokia had great ideas and amazing smartphones, I still believe they were implemented late and they lost their customers who couldn't wait for them to catch up. When Nokia launched the X1 with Android I'm pretty sure I was one of the first users to lay my hands on one. Yet, it was behind once again.

1 Like

Re: We Didn't Do Anything Wrong, But Somehow, We Lost by naijasensei: 1:10pm On Jul 30, 2020
thepoweruser:

Nokia were simply caught sleeping at the wheel. They became complacent and overconfident. When Android and iOS burst onto the scene, Nokia should have acted quicker than they did, also Nokia should have gone with Android instead Windows Phone - although they might have been coerced to do so. Android would have been a perfect fit for Nokia, if they hadn't been compromised with the investment they got from Microsoft.
I agree that Symbian OS was already showing its age; it was not optimised for touch, it didn't have a polished UI, and the Ovi store was sparse. However, Nokia didn't handle the transition wisely. A little bit of tact and planning would have saved them.
I believe the secret weapon you are referring to is the now defunct Meego OS, which also has Linux/Unix roots. For the life of me, I don't know why they discontinued the project, a terrible shame if you ask me.
Re: We Didn't Do Anything Wrong, But Somehow, We Lost by Chuksteric(m): 3:34pm On Jul 30, 2020
skywalker240:

i never knew the nokia 5.3 is sold for 110k (thats poor)

maybe i should have used the word are still rising or trying to rise

but theres no arguing they came back, blackberry couldnt (even when they tried)
I got it last week for a friend at 75k offline.. it has 665 as well .. it's still by far cheaper and better than transion counterparts.. plus the phone will be supported till 2023.. even jumia sells at 81k

Re: We Didn't Do Anything Wrong, But Somehow, We Lost by skywalker240(m): 3:40pm On Jul 30, 2020
Chuksteric:

I got it last week for a friend at 75k offline.. it has 665 as well .. it's still by far cheaper and better than transion counterparts.. plus the phone will be supported till 2023.. even jumia sells at 81k
There is no desputing that established fact grin
Re: We Didn't Do Anything Wrong, But Somehow, We Lost by Chuksteric(m): 4:21pm On Jul 30, 2020
skywalker240:

There is no desputing that established fact grin
Someone called Nokia so expensive!!! Bro Xiaomi is too cheap and it comes at the expense of ads and bloatwares that application developers pay to the company and that's why their phones are cheap ... A Nokia with sd665 at 75k in this whole dollar wahala is still a very big win bearing in mind that it's clean UI and monthly updates... Xiaomi fans are always fast to discredit anyother brand and it doesn't make any sense.. we know they offer value for money but the Nokia 5.3 Does the same as well
Re: We Didn't Do Anything Wrong, But Somehow, We Lost by festwiz(m): 9:56pm On Jul 30, 2020
Chuksteric:
Xiaomi fans are always fast to discredit anyother brand and it doesn't make any sense.. we know they offer value for money but the Nokia 5.3 Does the same as well

Bro! I didn't discredit anything. Look at the price you're paying for the 5.3 and check the price of the Note 9s, at 85k, which is superior in every way beyonds the Android One program. The reason Nokia gets the updates on time is solely for this purpose and beyonds that there's no pros for it. Stating facts is a far cry from discrediting. I did use the Nokia 5.1 for a bit but the HMD Global Nokia doesn't have the same vibe as the OG Nokia.

Speaking of which, I might get the 5130 XM (2020) just to have some of that old nostalgia back.

#peace

PS: Next time quote me directly. I hate the term "Xiaomi fan boys" don't use my statement to generalize a group of people or lump me in with them. I'm a simple tech lover who prioritize value for money over brand name or brand bias.

2 Likes

Re: We Didn't Do Anything Wrong, But Somehow, We Lost by Chuksteric(m): 8:06am On Jul 31, 2020
festwiz:

Bro! I didn't discredit anything. Look at the price you're paying for the 5.3 and check the price of the Note 9s, at 85k, which is superior in every way beyonds the Android One program. The reason Nokia gets the updates on time is solely for this purpose and beyonds that there's no pros for it. Stating facts is a far cry from discrediting. I did use the Nokia 5.1 for a bit but the HMD Global Nokia doesn't have the same vibe as the OG Nokia.

Speaking of which, I might get the 5130 XM (2020) just to have some of that old nostalgia back.

#peace

PS: Next time quote me directly. I hate the term "Xiaomi fan boys" don't use my statement to generalize a group of people or lump me in with them. I'm a simple tech lover who prioritize value for money over brand name or brand bias.
No one sells the 9s for less than 90k.. I'll pick the 5.3 over the note 8 which is in the same category.. It's a personal thing and I prefer the stock Android experience to the MIui.. Xiaomi reduces the cost of phones aggressively through ads and the Nokia is very clean!!! The Nokia 5.3 offers value for money at 75k that's what I'm saying
Re: We Didn't Do Anything Wrong, But Somehow, We Lost by jaiyejina(m): 12:04pm On Jul 31, 2020
festwiz:

ur write up is well informed, and u r definitely a true Nokia fan, I too stopped using Nokia when they started their windows mobile nonsense, RIP nokia

(1) (Reply)

Itel Is A Good Phone,,✌️✌️ / Do You Still Use Memory Card In Your Phone? / B&o Serenata Mobile Phone For Sale! =n= 190k Or =n= 110k Used Call 080 37050519

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.