Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,357 members, 7,808,241 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:16 AM

Dear Programmers, How Do You Remember Your Syntax? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Dear Programmers, How Do You Remember Your Syntax? (945 Views)

Programmers, How Do You Cope With Generator Noise In Your Area? / Programmers how much do you earn monthly? / I Have A Very Import Question On Python Syntax (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dear Programmers, How Do You Remember Your Syntax? by fhranchez(m): 9:39pm On Jul 29, 2020
Dear programmers, How do you memorize your syntax and make sure it sticks even when working on complex projects.

Coding is really hard without mastering the basics
Re: Dear Programmers, How Do You Remember Your Syntax? by Taofeekdboy(m): 9:50pm On Jul 29, 2020
fhranchez:
Dear programmers, How do you memorize your syntax and make sure it sticks even when working on complex projects.

You don't memorize syntax or code, you understand the basics and how it works. Arrays, objects or dict, set, tuples and so on are there for reasons.
When working on complex projects, it is allowed to copy code even on stackoverflow or Google but you must have an idea of how the code works or else you are just going on the wrong path. Don't memorize code or syntax, undestand it better and put it into use.

5 Likes

Re: Dear Programmers, How Do You Remember Your Syntax? by etrange: 10:05pm On Jul 29, 2020
Like the guy above me said, you don't necessarily have to memorise syntax. The most important thing is learning the art of programming. Focusing on syntax will only make you language dependent. You can keep a reference book open while coding (I do this when I'm working with a new language) and before you know it, you'd be typing without opening it.

1 Like

Re: Dear Programmers, How Do You Remember Your Syntax? by fhranchez(m): 10:15pm On Jul 29, 2020
Taofeekdboy:

You don't memorize syntax or code, you understand the basics and how it works. Arrays, objects or dict, set, tuples and so on are there for reasons.
When working on complex projects, it is allowed to copy code even on stackoverflow or Google but you must have an idea of how the code works or else you are just going on the wrong path. Don't memorize code or syntax, undestand it better and put it into use.
there must be a cheat sheet for it, else tons of brain juice is required
Re: Dear Programmers, How Do You Remember Your Syntax? by Coder2Client(m): 10:16pm On Jul 29, 2020
You don't have to memorize syntax. In fact, you must not memorize both syntax and code.

Get your basics right.
Re: Dear Programmers, How Do You Remember Your Syntax? by QuantumR: 10:45pm On Jul 29, 2020
Code once, Ctrl C and Ctrl V afterwards...
Re: Dear Programmers, How Do You Remember Your Syntax? by SUPREMOTM: 12:36am On Jul 30, 2020
QuantumR:
Code once, Ctrl C and Ctrl V afterwards...

That's a dangerously bad practice!

Instead, you code once, create methods, classes and assemblies while at it. Import them and use later or forever!!
Re: Dear Programmers, How Do You Remember Your Syntax? by Millerules(m): 8:35am On Jul 30, 2020
After understand the basics, practice practice and practice.

You can't be coding for 3-4 hours everyday and still have to worry about syntax few weeks into, it just sticks.

fhranchez:

4 Likes

Re: Dear Programmers, How Do You Remember Your Syntax? by bovage(m): 6:34pm On Jul 30, 2020
SUPREMOTM:

That's a dangerously bad practice!

Instead, you code once, create methods, classes and assemblies while at it. Import them and use later or forever!!

Exactly, one of the programming principles talks about this.
DRY (Don't Repeat Yourself)

1 Like

Re: Dear Programmers, How Do You Remember Your Syntax? by mocochannel: 1:39am On Oct 12, 2022
fhranchez:

not hard 4 me.
It's like abcd to me
Re: Dear Programmers, How Do You Remember Your Syntax? by Fourpockets: 10:41am On Oct 12, 2022
I haven't coded in react for a month now, but when I start, I'll just look at the docs, then everything will come back because I understood the BASICS

1 Like

Re: Dear Programmers, How Do You Remember Your Syntax? by ovanda(m): 10:54am On Oct 12, 2022
Try and understand the basics, then keep coding soon it will become second nature to you. I haven't touched Java or spring in months now but i have only to start a project and it will all come back.
Re: Dear Programmers, How Do You Remember Your Syntax? by ichidodo: 1:08pm On Oct 12, 2022
Once suspended a complex flutter project to go run a Django interview and back to my project like nothing happened... Was quite shocked at what I just did..
Re: Dear Programmers, How Do You Remember Your Syntax? by Xinjin: 2:18pm On Oct 12, 2022
I have my personal library in addition to checking things up in libraries, source codes concerning the technology I'm working on

(1) (Reply)

Software and Web Developer For Your Business / Do You Know Them / Software Guru,help Me Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.